Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Organza Quiz posted:

Yep those are great cat treats! Chicken necks in particular are good for their teeth because they have to really munch them. The biggest problem is likely to be convincing the cat that it's edible, some don't realise it.

durrneez posted:

i feed my cat raw chicken bits from time to time. one loves the necks and wing tips. the other waits for the canned stuff.

bones should be raw and not cooked. cooked bones splinter and can do some damage to the GI tract.

OK, great to know. Is there any prep that needs to be done with anything? Or just cut up heart, liver, neck, wingtips, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hi, I was looking for a little bit of help and suggestions with a new cat.

We have 3 cats, and recently adopted a 4th, all females. We've had her for just shy of three weeks now.

The new cat is a wonderful, loving, playful, and chatty sweetheart - to us. However, she's terrible towards the other cats. We did the usual first steps of getting a new cat: separate room, slow introductions, let them sniff, etc. However, her behaviour is so bad towards the others that she's spent the last few weeks locked in the basement alone, where we then go down to visit and play with her. She constantly stalks and hunts them, will corner them and hiss at them, and if they make the mistake of running, she will chase, corner, and pummel them (Our 5 year old just got beat up a little while ago, and pissed everwhere when it happened. No claws, no injuries, just a thorough slapping). She'll deliberately circle round them so they have to move to keep an eye on her, and then chase when they move. She is bigger than all of the others, and will win any fight that she gets into.

Even when separated, she obsesses over the other cats. She'll stand fixed at the door, reach under the door, scream and howl if another cat comes by. Her entire life, except when we play with her, is dedicated towards wanting to chase the other cats.

We try to do supervised visits, we let her wander around the house and interact. The other cats hide in corners and hiss and growl if she gets near, she'll yell, and one of us has to step in as it looks like she's going to pounce. We tried getting calming spray, but it didnt do anything to help. We also just took her to the vet to make sure she isn't having health issues thats causing her to lash out, and she got a clean bill of health.

Does anyone have any advice other than just continuing to keep her separate? Is this just going to be something that takes ages to settle, and we're fooling ourselves by expecting instant results? Is it possible that I got a "dud" of a calming spray and should try another brand?

Also, an idea popped into my head of putting a harness on her (the type you'd clip a leash to to take them outside) just to physically restrict her from successfully chasing, or at least slow her down so I have time to stop her. Is that a bad plan?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jesus Died for Your Songs

Any thoughts on pet insurance? Worth it?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

Any thoughts on pet insurance? Worth it?

Do it. It saved Rexie's life by making us go, "Might as well bring her in, she has insurance that'll cover the tests."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Do it. It saved Rexie's life by making us go, "Might as well bring her in, she has insurance that'll cover the tests."

It also saved thousands and thousands of dollars.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Hi, I was looking for a little bit of help and suggestions with a new cat.
Cats will hiss and hide when there's an "intruder" in their territory. The question is, are these descending into full-out brawls before you intervene? If so, there is a strong possibility that her need to dominate makes her a single cat only home, and that she's fundamentally not suited to a multicat household. She's already caused one cat to run away pissing herself, and my worry is that if that continues then you're gonna have two, then three, then all four cats that are neurotic, and that's assuming it doesn't result in a full-on furball cat fight that sheds blood.

If she's pouncing on other cats and wrestling, and they chase each other, that's cause for cautious optimism. If every fight sounds like they're about to murder the other, then I'd seriously consider rehoming her.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jesus Died for Your Songs

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Who did you go with? Shopping for insurance is exhausting. At least it's cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I know itís old news now, but if you have a cat and can afford one of those litter robots you are doing yourself a disservice not buying one. I spent years hating to deal with litter boxes, and suddenly itís a non-issue. It doesnít even stink.

Thanks, thread.