Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's very common for cats not to eat for a few days when they are in a new, scary environment. He'll be fine - if he still hasn't eaten after ~3ish days, then you should be concerned. Having the same food he ate at the shelter is a good idea too, depending on the cat - some are very picky, some don't care and will eat whatever, some may have stomach issues switching food suddenly.

If he's hiding, just make sure the food, water, and litterbox are within sight of his hiding spot and make sure there are times when no one is around so he can come out and eat/drink when he feels safe. Offer treats when he's starting to get more bold around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

My personal first concern would be that are they drinking water, even if they haven't urinated/eaten. I agree with cash that they're likely anxious/scared and getting used to their new environment. But it is a little weird that they are not super interested in their food. Were there any notes about him being food driven? Have you tried offering any treats or wet food?

What are they doing otherwise? Are they exploring the new space at all, hanging out with you, or hiding in a corner?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He's been a mix of hiding and running around. Particularly doing the zoomies when I'm trying to GODDAMN SLEEP!

He's been accepting my touch, which is good, but I've got a small enough space that stuff is packed in almost every corner for him to hide in if he wants. Someone suggested putting the food and water in a semi-hidden spot. He was hiding under my bed when he first got here last night so I think I'll put the food and water there, not enough room for the litter box so I'll leave it where it is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've seen no more sign of my previous nocturnal visitor. I've been putting out food, and it seems to get eaten by something every other night or so, but I'm guessing it might be getting eaten by this cat instead? Who knows.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

GlyphGryph posted:

I've seen no more sign of my previous nocturnal visitor. I've been putting out food, and it seems to get eaten by something every other night or so, but I'm guessing it might be getting eaten by this cat instead? Who knows.

:3: trash friend

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He's been a mix of hiding and running around. Particularly doing the zoomies when I'm trying to GODDAMN SLEEP!

He's been accepting my touch, which is good, but I've got a small enough space that stuff is packed in almost every corner for him to hide in if he wants. Someone suggested putting the food and water in a semi-hidden spot. He was hiding under my bed when he first got here last night so I think I'll put the food and water there, not enough room for the litter box so I'll leave it where it is.

Sounds like he should be fine. He'll eat eventually - even cats that stay terrified for weeks in a new place will sneak out and eat at some point.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

I didn’t see my cat for a month after I first got her. I took pictures of the food dish to make sure she was eating. She was! Now she spoons with me. It just takes time, and patience, and some treats.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He's gotten much more friendly, spends a lot of time sitting on top of the lizard's terrarium by my desk since it's by a window and a heat lamp. I put his food and water on there as well, now he's eating happily. He also took a piece of cheese (hiding a pill) yesterday and happily took a piece of seared unseasoned tuna from me today.

He also lets me hold him like a baby and rub his belly which I have never seen from a cat, he is incredibly cuddly although still a little jumpy.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
A relative who lives across the country (USA) passed recently and left behind a 15-year-old cat. I told my partner, when she asked, that it probably wouldn't work to take the cat in, considering that we'd be moving her across the country, she's not super young, and we already have two cats in a small house (one that does not like the other and one that is still full of kitten energy one year in), but I know she used to live with this cat and loves her, and I feel like the worst kind of person turning her down. Was I wrong to say no to this cat?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

How hygienic is it to recirculate 4 weeks of water?

I fill it up with filtered water to begin with, and there's a charcoal filter inside that it flows through before coming out the spout up top. I've filled the tank up multiple times, maybe going 2 or 3 months without a full clean/filter change and the water stays clear and unscummy. Little bits of litter and hair collecting up is all that seems to eventually force a switch, though by that time the filter needs changing anyway.

cash crab posted:

:3: trash friend

Was sitting out with one of my parent's more friendly ferals when this fella showed up and started stealing all the poor cats' food :mad:

https://i.imgur.com/3YXfNSG.mp4

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Obnoxipus posted:

A relative who lives across the country (USA) passed recently and left behind a 15-year-old cat. I told my partner, when she asked, that it probably wouldn't work to take the cat in, considering that we'd be moving her across the country, she's not super young, and we already have two cats in a small house (one that does not like the other and one that is still full of kitten energy one year in), but I know she used to live with this cat and loves her, and I feel like the worst kind of person turning her down. Was I wrong to say no to this cat?
You're not turning down your neighbor's pet here, we're talking a transcontinental cat move and that's a non-trivial endeavor only to be uncertain if your existing cats won't start poo poo the moment she arrives at your home. Unless the estate is going to make all the arrangements and you only need to pick up the cat at the destination airport, and even then for an elderly cat this not the greatest of ideas, you're not wrong to say no.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Obnoxipus posted:

your first responsibility is to the cats you already have, and it sounds like they might not cope too well with a new arrival, so I’d say you’re doing the right thing

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I need to be more careful about making sure my cats dont have access to freshly painted rooms.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I need to be more careful about making sure my cats dont have access to freshly painted rooms.

Just gonna have to cover the other floors and walls in cat prints so it looks intentional...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

What you need to do is post the photos of what led you to this conclusion!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Obnoxipus posted:

I'm gonna be the 3rd internet stranger to say it's a bad idea, but I'd approach it as "What's the plan B?"
And are you and your partner prepared for the worst case scenario -having to rehome any 2 of the 3 cats? Especially in a small home a disruption like that could exasperate current difficulties.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

- Sex: M
- How long have you had your cat? 1 week
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Science Diet/Blue Adult wet and dry food. Dry in the morning, wet in the evening.
- When was your last vet visit? 1.5 weeks ago at the shelter
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Him and a bearded dragon in a terrarium
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

Potentially hypochondriac new pet owner question: My cat has been hiding in the same little nook by the head of my bed for most of the past two days. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of being in pain, he doesn't seem to be urinating or defecating there, he's just not really moving around much. Yesterday evening I brought him out in order to eat his food and he ate fine once he saw it was there. Same thing today when I fed him a little later than usual (around noon). He hasn't been drinking much water (some, not much) but he has super long whiskers and it's a small bowl so I got a giant mixing bowl for him to drink out of today in hopes that if his whiskers are uncomfortable with the small bowl that he'll be happier with the big one.

Once I get him out of his little nook, he'll hang out in the room I'm in, he doesn't run straight back to it, am I worrying over nothing? He got a clean bill of health from the vet a week and a half ago. He's being very affectionate, and the little nook is right by an outside wall not near any heat so it's not like he's just looking for a warm spot. On the contrary once he comes out into the main room he spends 90% of his time lying on top of my lizard's terrarium next to the heat lamp, but the past couple days I've had to bring him out of his nook before he goes there.

It's entirely possible that he's spending more time out and about at night while I'm asleep, I usually fall asleep with him lying against my arm and then he's back in the nook when I wake up.

I just read that I should have 2 litter boxes for one cat, I need to figure out where to put another in that case. I live in a small 1-bed the size of most studios so there's not a ton of space for another box.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

He probably just likes the nook. If it’s near an outside wall then there’s a chance he can hear the outside while feeling secure in his little fortress. Plus it’s close to you!

1 litter box is fine if you’re in a small place, just scoop it every day. That’s all I had in my old tiny apartment and it was no problem.

A week is not very much time for a cat to get used to a place, he’s probably still adjusting, you will likely see more of his personality emerge as he gets more comfortable. From the sound of it, you’re doing a great job.

Suggestion to everyone is to get a cat water fountain to encourage him to drink more, cats prefer moving water.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
He's eating the wet food and uses the litterbox, right? I wouldn't be too concerned if those are true. You can also test if he's dehydrated by gently grasping some of his skin (a little like you'd scruff him or gently pinch some skin) if it slowly smoothes back out he's dehydrated, if it quickly goes back to normal he's fine.

The fact the cat doesn't immediately dart back to the hiding spot or panic and flee or hiss when you scoop them out is also a good sign. He's still getting used to his new home and you.

The cat I've had for 4 months still gets spooked if I move and darts and hides when I get home, but also will come and sleep in my lap and runs up to get pet if I get up at night to use the restroom.
He's still getting used to a new home, and might just like sleeping in hiding spots.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
He sounds fine - it can take cats a while to feel confident in a new environment. You could try tempting him a little bit with toys if you want to encourage him to come out more, but it sounds like you're doing fine and he's just being cautious.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I've always just had one litter box for my cat. She's never had a problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, that's comforting. He's the sweetest cat I have ever known, super cuddly, when I'm in bed and he's in that nook all I have to do is look at him and put my hand midway between us and he comes out and starts headbutting me. I do wish he'd stop trying to lick my eyelids when he's grooming me though, that hurts.

He does bolt when I move too suddenly if he's on my lap in my chair or by my side in bed, though, he's still a little jumpy when it comes to that. Who knows, maybe his previous owner used to almost squish him in his sleep or something.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think this needs to go in the OP because it's asked a lot.

3 days to decompress
3 weeks to learn your routine
3 months to feel at home.

That's right from my training with county animal control; searching 3 3 3 rule cat or dog comes up with plenty of groups advising it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You've only had him a week, give him some more time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that sounds like good progress for a cat who's only lived there a week. It just takes time for them to adjust.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This might be more appropriate for the Diet thread, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here first - How hard do I go in on making cats try to accept a new brand of wet food?

I'm trying out switching my two cats to a brand of wet cat food that's sold in bigger economical Tetra/Canned packages (so ~400g per) instead of the individual pouches I've had so far.
I assumed this'd be an easy switch as they've eaten Whiskas/Latz/Sheba/Gourmet (all "cheaper but not the cheapest" grocery store brands) without any complaints when served, but they both seem to just not like this "better" grain free wet food (It's called Bozita in Sweden).

The way I serve their food so far is that I let them have free access to the dry food and serve the wet food as a treat twice per day. When I've done this they always eat the Wet food, but with this one they sniff the wet food and go straight for the dry - even when I tried some different flavours. I've tried slightly heating it before serving, and I've tried phasing it in by mixing it with the old (the latter sort of worked until the majority was the new, at which point they went "nah").

Should I remove the dry food for a few days to see if that might make them more accepting of the wet food? It's not a huge deal personally if they dislike it as I can go back to Latz, but I was hoping for a bit of a one-two "Better and cheaper" option. :shobon:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well you can try a couple more times but if it's not a prescription diet I'd say it's a waste of time and energy trying to get cats to eat food they don't like.

e: from experience with finicky cats, if they suddenly stop eating a food they liked before they might start eating it again after a break, or it might be a change in the recipe and they never touch it again. But if they don't like it from the start, there's probably not much hope.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2024

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Well you can try a couple more times but if it's not a prescription diet I'd say it's a waste of time and energy trying to get cats to eat food they don't like.

e: from experience with finicky cats, if they suddenly stop eating a food they liked before they might start eating it again after a break, or it might be a change in the recipe and they never touch it again. But if they don't like it from the start, there's probably not much hope.

Yepp, fair enough - pretty much what my gut was telling me. I'll try to serve the remainder I have and hop back to what they did enjoy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Make friends with other cat owners or talk about swapping foods and treats that don't work out with your friends who have cats.

2-3 of my friends and I do that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A family friend found a kitten after a storm and couldn’t keep her.

All the shelters were full and wouldn’t take her, so I have a kitten now.

Vet says four weeks old. She is so terrifyingly tiny. The itty bittiest cat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khizan posted:

Awesome! Thanks for taking her! Name?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I have no idea yet. I am terrible at names.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khizan posted:

I have no idea yet. I am terrible at names.

Lady Mandragora Stormborn; Slayer of False Temples, Thief of Treats, The Skulking Terror of the Blanket Realm.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

She looks like a torbie, so call her Torbitha.

(Thank you for taking her in!)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, that's comforting. He's the sweetest cat I have ever known, super cuddly, when I'm in bed and he's in that nook all I have to do is look at him and put my hand midway between us and he comes out and starts headbutting me. I do wish he'd stop trying to lick my eyelids when he's grooming me though, that hurts.

He does bolt when I move too suddenly if he's on my lap in my chair or by my side in bed, though, he's still a little jumpy when it comes to that. Who knows, maybe his previous owner used to almost squish him in his sleep or something.

You've got a good'n.

My two still have a tendency to scramble and bolt if I move too suddenly, and I've had them for ten years. They're also very affectionate.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

With a kitten that small found out in the street, don't delay doing a vet appt if you haven't already.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

One of my cats recently had some issues with pulling his fur out, and the vet thought it could be related to developing an allergy to chicken/poultry which apparently is common. He's been switched to hills z/d food sensitivities food and I'm giving him omega 3 supplements which seems to be helping a lot.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any alternative brands that offer poultry free, good quality food that isn't quite so expensive as getting the prescription food from my vet? And is available in Canada?

I'll pay what I have to for the little doofus but I have two cats on expensive prescription foods, one with kidney disease and a lot of meds, and if there's any way to reduce costs a little it'd be nice!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

I have a goat named Itty Bitty because she was sooo tiny when we got her. Now she’s huge. Choose a name very carefully!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Robot Mil posted:

One of my cats recently had some issues with pulling his fur out, and the vet thought it could be related to developing an allergy to chicken/poultry which apparently is common. He's been switched to hills z/d food sensitivities food and I'm giving him omega 3 supplements which seems to be helping a lot.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any alternative brands that offer poultry free, good quality food that isn't quite so expensive as getting the prescription food from my vet? And is available in Canada?

My boy Loki is very allergic to beef and lamb, and went through some very sad-looking times with no fur on his scrawny lil neck before we figured out what the problem was. Now we feed single-protein foods; James Wellbeloved turkey kibble and Cosma tuna tins. Poultry is obviously a very common cat food ingredient but single-protein fish food seems fairly readily available too. I don't know if those brands are available in Canada, but they're cheaper than the prescription stuff and he's doing very well on them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joburg posted:

I have a goat named Itty Bitty because she was sooo tiny when we got her. Now she’s huge. Choose a name very carefully!

That just makes it funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Khizan posted:

Take thousands upon thousands of pictures. I have many of my cats when they were kittens but NOT ENOUGH!