Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Attacking bed mice is a fun activity for cats of all ages, so your choice is to either wear him out at day so he just sleeps when he's in bed, or kick him out when he pounces on feet. He might eventually learn to not do it if you keep removing him, but a year of being removed from my bedroom when my smallest tom gets rowdy has only modestly curbed his behavior. Is cat, can't really fix.

My cat sleeps on our bed and never attacks our feet, are we just lucky?

She does come up and ram her whiskers in my face as I'm sleeping, which is irritating in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat decides to lay on my chest and rake my face with his claws until I give up and pet him. If I ignore it he claws harder and if I put him on the floor he things it's a game and comes back. It's just easier to give him pets until he gets bored

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pidan posted:

My cat sleeps on our bed and never attacks our feet, are we just lucky?

She does come up and ram her whiskers in my face as I'm sleeping, which is irritating in its own way.
Depends on the cat, the rear end in a top hat has a stronger prey drive than the other cats, but all my current cats will absolutely bat at my toes if it moves around under the cover. I have a thicker comforter so it's more of a nuisance than painful, but waking up because the cats have decided feet are good eatin' at 3AM is not a fun way to spend the night.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Deteriorata posted:

All pet foods are regulated by the FDA to meet minimum nutritional standards. More expensive brands don't get you "better" nutrition, just different ingredients.

Millions of cats live long and healthy lives on cheapo grocery store cat food. Spend as much or as little as you want, it makes no difference.

Cost is definitely a factor, we can't afford months of Blue Buffalo. She's on Taste of the Wild dry now, but that is likely part of the constipation problem. It's just what she'll eat.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

One of my girls is Luna, too! I'd post a pic but I'm on mobile.

Aleta used to get constipated out of pure spite, as far as I can tell, every time we left the house for too long. She also doesn't really like wet food, and I've seen her try to drink water and literally miss!

One thing that worked with her was a gelatin wet food- she seems happier about eating big chunks in a goop matrix than most other wet foods. If you haven't already tried that, it might help.

A point of clarification: received the paste you recommended and am seeing it's for hairballs. Did you have good experience with it helping with constipation too? Considering the vet's advice was "get her more water in her food" and it's a paste it will probably help, just wanted to directly connect those two points.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya loooves to hunt our hands when they're hidden, at least she can now differentiate between bare hands (no claws) and hidden hands (anything goes).

She also loves to sleep under our covers, sometimes I'll wake up to her pawing at the edge of our duvet until I lift it and in she burrows. She is a strange one.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Cythereal posted:

The proof will be if he's super cuddly.

Huge, cuddly, and chill as hell are generally good indicators of Maine Coon blood. Also, usually, being incredibly fluffy.

Other than the large size he doesn’t have any physical traits of a Maine Coon, but he is very friendly and as chill as a hyperactive three-month-old giant kitten can be. Out of the blue, if you’re sitting in a chair reading or something, he’ll come running, leap into your lap, run up your chest and start aggressively head-butting/rubbing on your face and purring. Also purrs whenever you pick him up and doesn’t mind being carried around like a sack of potatoes. All in all, he is a very good catte. Honestly can’t wait until he grows out of being a kitten and calms down.

As for where his size comes from, they’re of West Virginia feral/barn cat lineage, so I would assume that large size is a successful trait when you’re a barn cat. Same thing with my parents’ cat - the petite barn cat mother evidently got knocked up by some grizzled monster of a tomcat, because she produced this huge floofy golden boy who weighs in at 18 pounds. Doesn’t look like a Maine Coon other than being huge and fluffy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's a little stray cat around my house regularly that I'd like to adopt, but I already have a cat. What's the process here? Get it into a carrier, take it to the vet to get checked out, then quarantine it somewhere with food/water/litter?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My mother found a little kitten that still needs bottle fed and apparently only has three paws. She asked me to try and find someone who wants a three pawed ginger kitten and i only know people trying to get rid of cats. What do i do?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Khizan posted:

There's a little stray cat around my house regularly that I'd like to adopt, but I already have a cat. What's the process here? Get it into a carrier, take it to the vet to get checked out, then quarantine it somewhere with food/water/litter?

Sounds good to me.

Capturing it may be the sticking point. Bits of hot dog in tall grass can be very effective. The cat dives down to get the bit and its movement is sufficiently restricted by the grass to grab it by the scruff of the neck and shove it into a carrier.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Cat behavior question: My partner and I have 2 cats, an almost 13 year old male and an 8 year old female. They generally got along fine, small bouts of hissing/scraps, but the last 3 weeks have been kind of insane. The 13yo is a bit of a lazy groomer so we took him in to get a lion cut, something we've done the last couple of years, to deal with some of the mats that he was getting. The female has since taken to bullying him throughout the day, biting his tail when we aren't looking, chasing him from his food, etc. We got some Feliway, wondering if that could help, but that hasn't seemed to help. We've started separating them for food but it's something we want to settle without having to resort to separating them. We haven't seen any issues like this in the 8 years we've had them together and, usually, it was our older cat being more aggressive towards her. Any ideas/thoughts?

Edit: photos just because

Robviously fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 11, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I looked over the OP but I didn't see any suggestions -- is there a good recommendation for a fancy expensive litter box? I'm primarily interested in something that will keep the gravel from getting kicked all over the place, but anything to auto-clean or keep the smell down would be nice too. I heard the auto-cleaning litterboxes were awful, but it's been years since I looked into it.

Oh, and is there anything to watch out for as far as introducing a kitten to a house with a small dog? Doggie is very sweet and timid and lived happily with my good boy who passed away earlier this year, so I'm not expecting any trouble on her part.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Phenotype posted:

I looked over the OP but I didn't see any suggestions -- is there a good recommendation for a fancy expensive litter box? I'm primarily interested in something that will keep the gravel from getting kicked all over the place, but anything to auto-clean or keep the smell down would be nice too. I heard the auto-cleaning litterboxes were awful, but it's been years since I looked into it.

Oh, and is there anything to watch out for as far as introducing a kitten to a house with a small dog? Doggie is very sweet and timid and lived happily with my good boy who passed away earlier this year, so I'm not expecting any trouble on her part.

The litter robot is rad, I pulled the trigger a couple months ago and it was expensive and unnecessary but my tiny apartment smells significantly better, the cats get a better quality of life, and I can still use any litter I want.

I got the fancy bundle that comes with the fat ramp because Bean is a chunk and doesn't like to jump

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phenotype posted:

If you're willing to go like $500 fancy I've heard nothing but good things about the Litter Robot. https://www.wired.com/review/litter-robot-3-connect/

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Echoing the litter robot praise. If you decide to go for it ask in the thread and one of us can get you a referral code for $25 off, we'll get 25 too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jeez, is there anything slightly cheaper than that? Was thinking like $300 max, really. I had no idea $500 was even in the ballpark here, considering the base model is a $10 plastic bin. :v: I just hate cleaning up litter and really hate stepping on it barefoot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phenotype posted:

Jeez, is there anything slightly cheaper than that? Was thinking like $300 max, really. I had no idea $500 was even in the ballpark here, considering the base model is a $10 plastic bin. :v: I just hate cleaning up litter and really hate stepping on it barefoot.

Same. Everyone who has a litter robot is pretty happy with it, everyone without one is all what the gently caress how can a cat poo poo management device cost that much that's insane.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Len posted:

My mother found a little kitten that still needs bottle fed and apparently only has three paws. She asked me to try and find someone who wants a three pawed ginger kitten and i only know people trying to get rid of cats. What do i do?

Call your local animal shelter, or enjoy your new cat! Tripod cats are great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hyperlynx posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I used a human nail clipper for ages, which worked but wasn't very efficient. I eventually bought a cheap pair of generic small animal nail clippers from a pet shop. They look a bit like pliers. They work great.

So, I guess, a cheap pair is probably fine?

I’m gonna need a more specific endorsement than this. I went by Petco today and the only pet nail/claw clippers they had were made for dogs.

I’m looking for a pair of easy-to-use clippers that are gentle on cats and kittens. I have to convince my dad not to declaw these kittens like we’ve done with all of our other cats (b/c we didn’t know no better), so I can’t gently caress this up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deteriorata posted:

Call your local animal shelter, or enjoy your new cat! Tripod cats are great.

We can't have anymore in our apartment and rear end in a top hat would definitely not be okay with another. Also apparently he's still got a full leg just no paw? So he's a leg leg I guess

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m gonna need a more specific endorsement than this. I went by Petco today and the only pet nail/claw clippers they had were made for dogs.

I’m looking for a pair of easy-to-use clippers that are gentle on cats and kittens. I have to convince my dad not to declaw these kittens like we’ve done with all of our other cats (b/c we didn’t know no better), so I can’t gently caress this up.

I've tried a lot of clippers over the years. As long as the cat doesn't have super thick nails these cheepies are the easiest I've found to use.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-cat-nail-scissors/6000034433007
Easy to use, easy to see what you are doing so you don't cut the quick. The thing is they aren't super strong, so they work best if you are cutting off just the tippy tips every couple weeks. They are small, so they might not work so well for folks with big meaty man hands, I dunno.

There's also this style, similar mechanism but a little beefier, for thicker nails. I find them less handy for cats.

Then there is the old faithful guillotine style. These have been popular for a long time. The ones with the screws near the end there have replaceable blades so theoretically you don't need to replace the whole thing when it gets dull, but I've never actually seen anyone selling replacement blades, lol. These are okay for dogs with real thick nails, but I don't like them for cats, it is too hard to see what I'm doing.

The most important thing is to never ever ever cut the quick. That will teach the animal that nail clippers cause pain and make your job a hundred times harder in future. With a new pet it is enough to do a single paw, even a single nail, then let them go and give them a treat. Get them to associate clippers with treats.

When the blade starts to get dull you'll know because it will start crushing the tip of the nail instead of a clean cut. It will still break through, but there will start to be lots of little shards of nail and the cut tip is rough rather than clean. But even with the cheap ones from walmart that should take more than a year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've tried a lot of clippers over the years. As long as the cat doesn't have super thick nails these cheepies are the easiest I've found to use.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-cat-nail-scissors/6000034433007
[...] They are small, so they might not work so well for folks with big meaty man hands,

... which my dad has, and he’s gonna be the only one around in our house to trim their nails when I eventually go back to school (hopefully) next year.

... hmm...

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

kw0134 posted:

Attacking bed mice is a fun activity for cats of all ages, so your choice is to either wear him out at day so he just sleeps when he's in bed, or kick him out when he pounces on feet. He might eventually learn to not do it if you keep removing him, but a year of being removed from my bedroom when my smallest tom gets rowdy has only modestly curbed his behavior. Is cat, can't really fix.

Yeah kind of what I thought, I will try tiring him out during the day and see if this helps

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Hi again Cat Goons!

Thanks for the tips from before. I'm happy to report that great progress has been made. They are playing together - short bouts of wrestling, longer bouts of mutual chasing. He's even started to lick her. They still aren't best friends but he's not scared of her any longer.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phenotype posted:

We tried all sorts of different mats to try and help our old guy from carrying litter into the apartment on his feet, varying from astroturf doormats to purpose made mat things.

What actually did the trick was just newspaper, no problems after trying that. And our new kitten likes to do some digging on the newspaper around her tray so effectively gives her feet a good clean. Worth a try and it's basically free.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Hello cat goons!

Looking for a bit of advice or tips for caring for our newest kitty rescue - he is a young lad, about 2, extremely shy and timid of humans, way more so than any other cat we have cared for. Our current sassy lady cat walked out of the carrier like she owned the place and that hasn’t really changed lol. This little dude has been hiding under the bed since we brought him home yesterday. We were fully aware of his shyness and it’s not a problem, I know it’s early days and we’re happy to be patient, just have some questions if anyone has had a similar kitty!

How much time should we spend with him vs leaving him alone? We’ve been popping in and out to say hello, play some calming music and just chill for now. Should we be trying to engage him through play or just sit with him? I’m worried about him being lonely but also don’t want to stress him out!

At what point might it be a good idea to try and remove or block off the bed so he is forced to be a bit more out in the open?

It seems likely he’s going to be super shy of humans for a while but apparently likes other cats, any tips on introducing him to our other cat safely?

He’s definitely nibbled a few treats overnight and possibly a bit of kibble, at what point should we get concerned if he doesn’t eat?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Mil posted:

Hello cat goons!

Looking for a bit of advice or tips for caring for our newest kitty rescue - he is a young lad, about 2, extremely shy and timid of humans, way more so than any other cat we have cared for. Our current sassy lady cat walked out of the carrier like she owned the place and that hasn’t really changed lol. This little dude has been hiding under the bed since we brought him home yesterday. We were fully aware of his shyness and it’s not a problem, I know it’s early days and we’re happy to be patient, just have some questions if anyone has had a similar kitty!

How much time should we spend with him vs leaving him alone? We’ve been popping in and out to say hello, play some calming music and just chill for now. Should we be trying to engage him through play or just sit with him? I’m worried about him being lonely but also don’t want to stress him out!

At what point might it be a good idea to try and remove or block off the bed so he is forced to be a bit more out in the open?

It seems likely he’s going to be super shy of humans for a while but apparently likes other cats, any tips on introducing him to our other cat safely?

He’s definitely nibbled a few treats overnight and possibly a bit of kibble, at what point should we get concerned if he doesn’t eat?

How much time you spend with the shy cat vs leaving him alone is kind of subjective and you should just do what feels right as long as you can recognize when the cat doesn't want to interact. My personal suggestion if possible, would be to lie still on the bed and let your arm dangle over the edge which should hopefully make your fingers visible to the cat (if you've got a bed skirt you could pull up a section) and then just kind of wiggle your fingers every once in a while to hopefully entice the cat into checking them out. If he does, then just scratch/pet him without really moving your body.

I wouldn't bother trying to block off the bed or try to force the cat into the open as that would just stress him out and he'll likely just find a different hiding place. Cats like to have a safe and secure hiding spot to make them feel comfortable, so just let him have it.

I've always just treated cat introductions as just put the cats together and keep an eye on them and only separate them if one of them is being overly aggressive. You really don't have to worry unless you know the cat hasn't eaten for a couple of days. As long as he'd nibbled on something, he's fine.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don’t think he’ll accept pets or scritches for a very long time tbh, I don’t think he ever did when he was with the foster family. He did once eat treats out of their hand though... after about two months :)

He doesn’t seem overly stressed, no hissing or yowling, his ears aren’t going back, he’s just.... watchful and if we get too close he just slowly moves a bit further away.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Mil posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don’t think he’ll accept pets or scritches for a very long time tbh, I don’t think he ever did when he was with the foster family. He did once eat treats out of their hand though... after about two months :)

He doesn’t seem overly stressed, no hissing or yowling, his ears aren’t going back, he’s just.... watchful and if we get too close he just slowly moves a bit further away.

I mean that's the thing though. If you are relatively still, but still let your hand be accessible, then there's a good chance the cat may come to inspect them. And if it does and you can get a scratch or two behind an ear, then it starts to associate fingers with good feelings.

When I found the 3 cats I currently have, it took me 2 extra months to catch one of them, Oscar, and when I finally did get him, he was extremely shy around me and would often hide when I moved at all. However, at night, when I lying on the couch, I could dangle my hand over the edge with my fingers near the floor and Oscar started coming over to sniff them at first, then get a few scratches, then full pets and soon after that he was jumping up next to me to get his pets. He never wanted to stay long and for a while if I moved more than just my hand/arm, he would bolt, but now he comes up to me all the time to get petted and even comes to get his own special hugs and kisses. That is where I am sitting in front of the computer with my head being propped up by my left hand with my elbow on the desk, then if Oscar wants his hug he will jump onto the desk and slip under my chin and put his head in the crook of my arm at which point, he gets a full body hug of both arms wrapped around him and my head down on his body often giving him kisses on the top of his head which he seems to absolutely love as he often presses up into them.

Also, other people will suggest that you introduce cats slowly and I agree somewhat, I do usually keep cats separated by a door for a couple days, but after that I've always been pretty non-standard and just let them be together (provided they are both healthy) to figure things out for themselves and only step in if I feel one cat is being overly aggressive or refusing to leave another cat alone.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 11, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whatever you do, don't take away his safe spaces, as long as it's not a spot that he could get stuck in. There's no need to block off areas and force him to come out - that will just make him more stressed. If it's his own choice, and he knows he has those hiding spots he can go to at any time, he will be happier.

That said, you should put his source of food and water in an area in the open, where he can see you when he eats - but still, don't force him to interact until he's ready.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

one litter robot wouldnt be enough for 3 cats, and 3 of them adds up real fast. Suggestions? Or should I simply have more money.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Litter robot seems expensive but then you think about how much poop you've scooped into bags over the years and that you will never have to do that ever again and $500 seems like a bargain

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Does anyone here have any experience with tail amputation complications? I adopted a lovely giant special needs kitty, Mr Spice, two months ago with the full knowledge he’s had a traumatic time. He struggles with telling when he’s ‘finished’ pooping so sometimes leaves nuggets outside the box (or gets them on his leg fur, or gets spooked by them and runs away from the box trailing poop, etc). This appears to be a side effect from his tail amputation, which the vet we took him to said was incredibly high and he only has a vertebrae or two left. He still waves his nubbin in the air when he’s happy to see me though :3:

Has anyone seen these kind of complicatins get worse over time? Is phantom tail a thing in cats? Is there anything not obvious a cat with no tail might struggle with? He’s generally very happy and healthy chap (besides the broken pelvis and ongoing pain management) so I want to make sure he has a long and happy life !

Here he is failing to fit on his cat ‘tree’

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Whatever you do, don't take away his safe spaces, as long as it's not a spot that he could get stuck in. There's no need to block off areas and force him to come out - that will just make him more stressed. If it's his own choice, and he knows he has those hiding spots he can go to at any time, he will be happier.

That said, you should put his source of food and water in an area in the open, where he can see you when he eats - but still, don't force him to interact until he's ready.

He's discovered he can open the sliding closet door so has a whole new world of hiding spots :3: he's getting a little more curious already, although only if you don't look directly at him!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Deviant posted:

one litter robot wouldnt be enough for 3 cats, and 3 of them adds up real fast. Suggestions? Or should I simply have more money.
One LR is fine for three cats, I have three cats doing just that. It means you have to be aware when the discard tray fills up (or if you're lazy/cheap like me, shake the bin to level the contents), else it won't run because the bag is too full of poop.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Deviant posted:

One is enough for our three cats. It cleans after every use.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spikes32 posted:

One is enough for our three cats. It cleans after every use.

You'll just have to empty the tray out more often, our two cats fill it once a week

You can buy proprietary liners or just use any generic 10-15 gallon trash can bag i think?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I use store brand 13 gallon drawstring bags and it's an exact fit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Oyster posted:

A point of clarification: received the paste you recommended and am seeing it's for hairballs. Did you have good experience with it helping with constipation too? Considering the vet's advice was "get her more water in her food" and it's a paste it will probably help, just wanted to directly connect those two points.

Hey, so sorry I missed replying to this!

I honestly had no idea it was meant for hairballs specifically! It's what both the Cat Fuckers and our vet recommended to help Aleta with constipation, so I thought it was sort of a general "gets things moving" paste. We had really good results with it, especially after the SECOND (oh my god) e-vet visit to get her butt unplugged, which was the time she ate a huge bag of antidiarrheal food that my husband had purchased by mistake.

Er, rambling. Anyways, it seems to help with constipation as much as it does hairballs. Aleta has longer fur and has never, to my knowledge, coughed up a hairball in her life, but a little malta every so often and she's had no more butt problems for almost a year. I do hope it helps your little one, at least somewhat!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does anyone else have one cat who likes to ruin the other cat's fun when they're having it? I try to play with our more... problematic cat to expend her energy towards play time and she'll go nuts for the feather on a stick or the shoestring (you know, the one you find randomly all around your house), but as soon as Finn hears her playing he activates from wherever he is in the house and stalks over to spy on her. Once she notices she just stops engaging, and then Finn eventually runs in and starts playing with the thing instead while she walks away. I try to keep her engaged even when he's around but she stops as soon as he hears him coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Does anyone else have one cat who likes to ruin the other cat's fun when they're having it? I try to play with our more... problematic cat to expend her energy towards play time and she'll go nuts for the feather on a stick or the shoestring (you know, the one you find randomly all around your house), but as soon as Finn hears her playing he activates from wherever he is in the house and stalks over to spy on her. Once she notices she just stops engaging, and then Finn eventually runs in and starts playing with the thing instead while she walks away. I try to keep her engaged even when he's around but she stops as soon as he hears him coming.

I think it's pure jealousy. My girl cat absolutely seem to hate if if I pay attention to either of the two boy cats and usually has to push herself into the middle of it.