Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Meanwhile my cat has such bad gingivitis that the vet calls me and says "does the cat eat" and I'm like, yeah, she eats, she's eating right now.

Turns out she had mycoplasma and calicivirus in her gums. The mycoplasma is probably gone after we gave her antibiotics. The calicivirus will probably stay forever but is not a problem as long as the cat eats normally. Which she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im trying to rotate my cats diet until I find something she A) likes B) doesnt give her dirty butt. Basically while she seems to prefer grain free diets, she has a cleaner butt with foods that have grains in them. This isnt like a melted chocolate kiss bad dirty but her butt is noticeably dirtier when on a grain free food. Is this a normal thing or does my poo poo head have kitty chrons or something.

When she eats foods with grains, her poops seem smaller and drier, aka constipated poops. Is the grain acting as a laxative, fiber, or something? Im trying to approach this with some logic instead of just going through every food brand A-Z

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well changing your cats food constantly can't help. Your cats stomach will be less upset when you stick to one food long term. Other than that, it's really unique to each cat how they react to different food.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm looking for a automatic feeder recommendation. After having to go on steroids, my cat Cosette has been WAY more hungry as expected. Which is good since she was a bit underweight already. Because of that, I kinda want to schedule out some meals throughout the day, and since I'm not around all day I think and automatic feeder is the way to go. But here's the thing, right now I put her food into this puzzle feeder:

And I really like it! I like how she can't gobble the food down immediately and has to play around and puzzle out how to get it. So when I'm thinking of an automatic feeder, I'd like to get one that could somehow empty into the top of the puzzle feeder. I have stuff the balance the feeder on, but if somehow there was a feeder that could just go on top of the puzzle one as-is that'd be awesome.

Bonus cat pics!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If you can balance /attach the feeder to the top of that most auto feeders will have a plastic basin that you can just cut/dremel through. Or you could rig up a slide from the mouth of the feeder to the top of that.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Big Mackson posted:

I got a 1 year old cat this summer and its been great. It really likes to lick my fingers when i am petting it tho.

My cat Nina does the same, it's her way of acknowledging being petted a little too long. The longer you pet her, the more "enthusiastic" the licking becomes. If you push it too long she'll get up and leave, or if she's in a mood she might give you the tiniest of nips.

It's, "Yes, you've petted me, now please stop."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well that varies from cat to cat. One of ours never licks me, one licks immediately because he's super affectionate and wants to groom me, and one licks and nips after few minutes of petting because he loves pets and gets overexcited about being pet quickly. He doesn't want it to stop though, he'll chase you down from room to room begging for more if you do.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm looking for a automatic feeder recommendation. After having to go on steroids, my cat Cosette has been WAY more hungry as expected. Which is good since she was a bit underweight already. Because of that, I kinda want to schedule out some meals throughout the day, and since I'm not around all day I think and automatic feeder is the way to go. But here's the thing, right now I put her food into this puzzle feeder:

Back when we used to leave the house the last person out would leave 'lunch' in a puzzle-ball and that has worked great for us. We still do it now, just swapping the ball, that same tower, and the puzzle-board for variety. She seems to hack them within the first minute but she's such a hungry little goblin that everything that slows her down is worth it.

This depends on how long you're out for but you could try leaving around several different puzzle-feeders?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What's that pain in my chest?

Oh, it's my heart melting.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm not sure puzzle feeders are a good idea. It seems like that would increase their ability to learn how to open doors and containers. Sort of like how raccoons are getting smarter because of our attempts to design more raccoon-proof trashcans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Saw these two pretty kitties today at work

I'm hoping the trucker wasn't just driving with two cats roaming free in the cab

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Len posted:

Saw these two pretty kitties today at work

I'm hoping the trucker wasn't just driving with two cats roaming free in the cab

he almost certainly was.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm not sure puzzle feeders are a good idea. It seems like that would increase their ability to learn how to open doors and containers. Sort of like how raccoons are getting smarter because of our attempts to design more raccoon-proof trashcans.

If they're smart enough to do that they'll figure that out on their own anyway. If you have a cat that smart, giving it a productive and stimulating thing to do with its brains + energy is very healthy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eventually they'll get smart enough we can teach them to read and then get them their own laptops to browse the forums.

Not post though. No one is going to do the R&D to develop a cat keyboard.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

Cat mouth problems
Hmm. Out of my two seven-year-olds, Wolfgang's breath has always been pretty stinky, while his brother's isn't. Should I try to fix that? Should I be worried? :ohdear:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think you underestimate the crazy cat person market. Though I did google "keyboards for cats" and was surprised they didn't already exist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hyperlynx posted:

Hmm. Out of my two seven-year-olds, Wolfgang's breath has always been pretty stinky, while his brother's isn't. Should I try to fix that? Should I be worried? :ohdear:

It is sometimes an indicator that something could be wrong. The doctor pointed it out when he first discovered how bad Leela's teeth looked before we had them removed. I don't think it's a sure thing that your cat's definitely got mouth problems but it may be worth watching to see if they're eating weird or at least bringing it up next time you're at the vet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deviant posted:

he almost certainly was.

They were very pretty cats at any rate

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Facebook Aunt posted:

Scream-to-speech shouldn't be that far off.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

direspoon posted:

Speaking of cat teeth....

We’ve only had our two new guys for a week. Luckily the shy one came out of his shell and is extremely sweet.

His little brother still hisses and doesn’t get along, but we noticed he was acting a bit sick. He had an ear infection prior to us adopting him, so the rescue was able to get us in to see a vet for that. After sedation they were able to look and confirm the ear was still a problem. Hopefully the treatment works this time.

The worse news is apparently they discovered pretty bad stomatitis. The doctor wasn’t rushing to do anything just yet, but immediately mentioned that full dental extraction is the only real chance for a cure.

Obviously the guy is in real pain. Apparently with a wet diet they don’t really mind having no teeth, but it might not even cure it. At this point we’re not even sure we could get him back into a carrier to go to a vet again. We had to bait him in this morning and I doubt that will work again with how much of a fight he still put up.

Has anyone else had to figure this out? I really don’t know what to do and both my partner and I feel sick just thinking about it.

I've never had to deal with these issues in my cats, so I'm quoting to maybe get more attention to your post.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

explosivo posted:

It is sometimes an indicator that something could be wrong. The doctor pointed it out when he first discovered how bad Leela's teeth looked before we had them removed. I don't think it's a sure thing that your cat's definitely got mouth problems but it may be worth watching to see if they're eating weird or at least bringing it up next time you're at the vet.

He's been that way for as long as I can remember. He did used to be a bit funny about eating his dinner, but I figured it was him worried about his brother harassing him, or just Being A Cat.

He eats all his dinner now, since I started A: supervising them, so that James can't shoulder him aside and scarf down his food, and B: if he leaves his food unfinished, chucking it out instead of trying to coax him to finish it. I haven't had to do B for months and months

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well changing your cats food constantly can't help. Your cats stomach will be less upset when you stick to one food long term. Other than that, it's really unique to each cat how they react to different food.

Im not, shes been on the same food since May and now she wont touch it. I reverted to a previous food that she likes but always gives her a dirty butt.

She has a new habit she just added with the new food. She will go and eat it she loves it, but now all of a sudden shes trying to cover it with paper. I throw balled up brown paper bags at her as a toy, she is now taking the paper and putting it on her food.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Hello Sailor posted:

Katya learned how to open doors because she didn't like it when I left the room to go to the bathroom, it took her less than a week. There's no stopping her, except the fact that she doesn't have thumbs.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If they're smart enough to do that they'll figure that out on their own anyway. If you have a cat that smart, giving it a productive and stimulating thing to do with its brains + energy is very healthy.

Yep, she is both very clever and food-obsessed because she started life as a stray. We've had to move the kibble container twice because she simply learned how to open cabinet-doors.
Having her work for her food (1 out of 3 meals) and spreading left-over kibble around her fav spots keeps her from bothering us for more food, I think it's more rewarding than 'yell at person, receive food'.
Of course, the simple puzzle-feeders aren't much of a challenge for her but like I said, we switch them up and it slows her down.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hello Sailor posted:

I think you underestimate the crazy cat person market. Though I did google "keyboards for cats" and was surprised they didn't already exist.

Hah, we have that. Jimmy ignored it because he was old and sensible (and it wasn't warm like the human laptops). The kittens like to scratch on it though.

USB mouse!

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

Gaj posted:

Im not, shes been on the same food since May and now she wont touch it. I reverted to a previous food that she likes but always gives her a dirty butt.

She has a new habit she just added with the new food. She will go and eat it she loves it, but now all of a sudden shes trying to cover it with paper. I throw balled up brown paper bags at her as a toy, she is now taking the paper and putting it on her food.

My cat does that, she has toys she carries over to her dish and seems to swap them out every so often. It's usually a ribbon of some kind to cover most of the food and then a small stuffed toy to I guess weigh the ribbon down?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
They do it to hide it for later.... food and poop in the wild would have a scent and could attract predators, so you cover things for safety.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaj posted:

If we miss a feeding by waking up or coming home late rear end in a top hat will spend the next week covering a full food dish with whatever he can find.

He then acts like he's starving because the other food dish then runs empty because both cats eat from it.

Cat.exe working as intended?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey all, took Sancho(10 yo male) to the vet on Monday to check on a wheezing cough he has a few times a month that was progressing to a few times a week. Vet said her cat does it too when I showed her a video, said his heart sounds great, and his lungs sound clear but gave him a shot of Depo-Medrol that she said may clear it up for good or it may come back. Since then I have noticed his pee clumps are tiny is this a possible side effect of the depo that will wear off or should I make another vet appointment?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So, the other night, I get a call from the shelter (first since August when they called to let us know our application had been accepted) and quickly answered because I had been waiting on them to give us a date for our kittens’ spay/neuter appointment, only to be told that we no-showed our appointment that was scheduled for that day. That they forgot to tell us about.

:negative:

Luckily they got back to us with a new appointment two weeks from now. But the kittens are getting to be, uh, pretty big and mature-looking (they are four months old). It’s gotten to the point where I’ve been watching them pretty closely to make sure their wrassling is just that and not mating-related and making contingency plans to pay out of pocket to get them fixed if one of them were to hit sexual maturity before the shelter got us an appointment. Do not want to have to rename them Jaime and Cersei :ohdear:

I guess the upside is that we’ve gotten to wait until the kittens were a bit older before getting fixed.

P.S. Seamus continues to grow on a Maine Coon trajectory and is just shy of 7.5 lbs at four months and is bigger than several adult cats we know :psyduck:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Queen Victorian posted:

P.S. Seamus continues to grow on a Maine Coon trajectory and is just shy of 7.5 lbs at four months and is bigger than several adult cats we know :psyduck:

Big cattos are the best. Our two chonkers are part maine coon and are 14.5 and 16.1 lbs respectively and currently on what should be a weight loss diet after topping out close to 19lbs.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Robviously posted:

Big cattos are the best. Our two chonkers are part maine coon and are 14.5 and 16.1 lbs respectively and currently on what should be a weight loss diet after topping out close to 19lbs.

I know :3: and I’m super psyched he’s going to get so big. It’s just out of nowhere - no obvious Maine Coon traits/ancestry and an average-sized mother (and sister).

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Genetics are wierd! Ours both had regular sized cats for moms too.

Elsie, the greyish one here, had a normal sized brother, she had a growth spurt around 6 months and he stayed "normal" sized. She also has like 2 inch toe fluff spikes so she's clearly got some maine coon or forest cat in her. :kimchi:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had to go down to my mom's today and I saw her new little kitty

We became fast friends

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I've mentioned Louie before in this thread, a cute female kitten that we adopted a few months ago.
We have a huge problem with her - she is in heat and incredibly vocal about it. She's walking around the house yelling, trilling, and presents herself whenever me or the wife look at her. We're trying to distract her with face squishes (which somewhat work) and various toys, but it doesn't take for long.

What can we do to keep her calm(ish) and us sane until she's back to normal?

The reason we haven't spayed her yet is because our vets concur that she has a heart murmur and that it's too much of a risk to put her under for the procedure, at least until her heart is examined by a professional. However, there are basically only two pet cardiologists in the whole country that can examine her, and the earliest appointment we could book happens to be this Wednesday. It's a bit annoying that we missed it by that much, because the moment she gets the OK for the procedure she's fixed and we really hoped to get it before she went into heat.
At least it's kinda amusing how much our (old, neutered) male cat simply doesn't care about any of this "reproduction" business.

For reference:

e: poo poo this thread is ooooooooooooooold, I looked at my posts and found my questions (that I completely forgot posting) about adopting my older cat, from ten years ago!

Old man belly:

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 1, 2020

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

My wfh supervisor caught me chatting today.

Any cool ideas for wall-mounted cat-trees/steps you guys have seen? I DIYed my last one but I left it at our old place since it was custom-built for the space and my friends moved in with their cat. Our new house has super tall ceilings and I want to build something that goes almost all the way up but isn't hideous like most stuff on the market.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How many of y’all have IG pages for your cats?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MarcusSA posted:

How many of y’all have IG pages for your cats?

Phyrexian Obliterator does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Welp, looks like I'm getting an IG account

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well that’s a follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I love sphinxes :3: