Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Isn't World's Best corn or did they change it recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Before the advent of advanced litter robots, I swore by ModCat, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative. I've been using them for over 10 years now with no complaint.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Cretin90 posted:

I didn’t see much in the OP about choosing a litterbox. My gf and I are adopting a 2-ish year old shelter cat who is already used to pellets. We’re thinking about getting the Purina Breeze hooded cat system thing. Can anyone chime in - deadly mistake, good call, helpful suggestions? We’d like to make it a LITTLE more environmentally friendly, maybe with pine pellets instead of their space age plastic ones, maybe replace the plastic pads with cloth ones... etc.

my cats’ behavior determined the kind of box i bought for them. when i had one cat, any litter box worked. i got him one of those igloo type boxes. once i got another cat, i switched to an open top type because the new cat would pounce on Cat 1 when Cat 1 was exiting the box.

what does the shelter use? it may be beneficial to use a similar setup to what your cat is used to at the shelter. some cats are chill with change. some cats dont do so well with change.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

durrneez posted:

my cats’ behavior determined the kind of box i bought for them. when i had one cat, any litter box worked. i got him one of those igloo type boxes. once i got another cat, i switched to an open top type because the new cat would pounce on Cat 1 when Cat 1 was exiting the box.

what does the shelter use? it may be beneficial to use a similar setup to what your cat is used to at the shelter. some cats are chill with change. some cats dont do so well with change.

we tried a different type of litter with Bean once

she let us know that wasn't okay by going on the ground in front of her litter box.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Len posted:

we tried a different type of litter with Bean once

she let us know that wasn't okay by going on the ground in front of her litter box.

10/10 very catte

did she stare you dead in the eyes as she did it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

durrneez posted:

10/10 very catte

did she stare you dead in the eyes as she did it?

absolutely :(

and like i expected it to happen, but we didn't have enough of that litter to top that box off with so i figured "if we mix this and the cheap corn based one it'll be fine for tonight"

so i ended up having to clean up piss and then go buy litter anyway

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We tried the corn litter. Luna literally sat screaming in her own piss out of sheer hatred.

I also tried the crystal litter because it was an emergency. It lasted all of ten minutes before Aleta started aggressively devouring it and I had to pay like 12 euros for regular litter at the only grocery store open on Sundays.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
This is Manu

He is around 1 year old, and is a very good cat, but we are having trouble getting him to come back home when called.

We live in a place by a forest, so he plays around in there for hours and want him to come back when we call him as there are foxes around at night and one ate the neighbours dog. We do not use a cat flap, just an open window.

We took him out a lot around our garden to start with in a harness, and he now comes on road trips in the van and is very happy with those.
When we started letting him out on his own at home he would stay in our garden and seemed happy with that for a month or two, but now has discovered the forest at the bottom of the garden and that is has lots of mice in it to play with.
When he was in the garden he would come back when we called him, but now when he is in the forest he doesn't come back when we call. If we go there and call him he meows loudly until we get close and then comes close. He then follows a bit back to the house but usually gets distracted and tries to go back to the forest so I have to carry him back.

If we leave him out he does come back eventually but we ideally want him to come when called as we don't have a catflap and don't want to leave the house window open for him when the house is empty.
He likes to be around us when he is at home, or we are in the garden, and he sleeps fully through the night on our bed until we get up, so I don't think he would stay out all night on his own, but any ideas on how to get him to come back easier would be good. I'm pretty sure he can hear me yelling as he's only ever 50-100 meters away.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Manu is a cat, not a dog.

Either
- don't let him go out on his own without a leash
Or
- make your peace with him not coming back some day in the future.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, there is no reliable way to call a cat back from the forest. Either he comes and goes as he pleases until the day he doesn't come home again, or you keep him inside or with a cat run or a harness.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
Fair enough, just wondering if I had missed a trick somewhere, my friends cats come back whenever she calls them and has no idea how she managed it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
a cat was sitting in the stairway of my building

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Did you pet em?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

it came into my apartment when i came back with groceries. do i have a cat now?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I mean, sounds more like the cat has you.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
at the very least you should take them to a vet and see if they've got a chip, make sure they're not just from a couple blocks away who just wandered a bit too far to get back

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

goblin week posted:

it came into my apartment when i came back with groceries. do i have a cat now?

Cats know when you need one and just show up. Congrats on your new cat

What's their name?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

congrats on being adopted op, hope it works out

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I had cat proofed my backyard for about a year until I came outside one day a month ago and found my big fat black cat on top of the shed. I had to do some circus poo poo to get him back inside. Ever since he spends probably four hours a day yowling at the back door to be let out. I'm getting him a harness to take him on walks so he can enjoy the sunshine at least. is there anything else I can do for the guy? I feel terrible.

here's fatso.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I had cat proofed my backyard for about a year until I came outside one day a month ago and found my big fat black cat on top of the shed. I had to do some circus poo poo to get him back inside. Ever since he spends probably four hours a day yowling at the back door to be let out. I'm getting him a harness to take him on walks so he can enjoy the sunshine at least. is there anything else I can do for the guy? I feel terrible.

A catio with a tunnel might be nice if he just wants to go lurk outside.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Screened enclosures (both for humans or a smaller model "catio") are loving phenomenal and my cats will spend half the day out on the screened porch if I let them whenever it's warm. I don't need to worry about them killing wildlife, getting parasites, or running off to make friends with cars and they get all the fresh air and sunshine they can handle.

I honestly can't recommend a lil screened enclosure for indoor pets enough, though be aware a screen won't stop fleas if that's an issue in your area and pre-treat them if they're gonna be outside even on a catio.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Are cat prosthetics a thing? My cat Wiggles has fibrosarcoma tumors in her back leg, probably the result of a rabies vaccine years ago. She's old -- turns 19 in June -- but still has a lot of spirit in her and is the absolute sweetest thing ever. I've taken her to a couple of vets and they mostly agree that even if she survives anesthesia and amputation, she probably won't have much of a quality life in the time she has left so for now we've resigned ourselves to the inevitable and take her to get the growing mass drained of fluid a couple of times a month. But each time we drain it and shrink it down, it seems to come back a little quicker (her most recent visit a week ago drained 40ccs from the mass :staredog:)

I'm currently quite feverish from my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine but I just woke from a dream/vision about getting Wiggles' leg amputated but to help her recover and maintain a balance, she's given a removable prosthetic leg. Is that possible? Are there organizations out there that help tripod cats or 3D print these things and I can go from being resigned about my cat's death to turning this into an inspirational Dodo story?

She's gone. We gave her a night to eat all the food she was normally forbidden (ham, chicken, vanilla ice cream, powder sugar donuts...) and then had a hospice doctor come to our home this morning. She would have been 19 in June. Her life still wasn't long enough.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
You made her happy for as much of her life as you could and didn’t stretch her suffering out for your own sake. :unsmith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

You made her happy for as much of her life as you could and didn’t stretch her suffering out for your own sake. :unsmith:

This

So sorry for your loss, but you did right by her :unsmith:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Julio Cruz posted:

at the very least you should take them to a vet and see if they've got a chip, make sure they're not just from a couple blocks away who just wandered a bit too far to get back

Took her in. No chip, not sterilized, unknown vaccination status. no buttworms, at the very least? I'll take care of those things after I get paid on the 4th.
Not sure what she's been eating because she made extremely heinous turds overnight.
She spent most of yesterday sitting on the windowsill and then spent the rest of the night meowing loudly for no apparent reason. Then this morning she purred a lot while allowing me to pet her.
No idea about the name yet. I feel like I should conform to the internet standard of giving your cat a silly name though!

Cats were always very much a blind spot in my life, haha. Never really knew anyone with one and despite getting an engineering degree in animal husbandry, the cat classes were of atrocious quality.

Has a single ginger toe. It's a cool detail.

Ballz posted:

She's gone. We gave her a night to eat all the food she was normally forbidden (ham, chicken, vanilla ice cream, powder sugar donuts...) and then had a hospice doctor come to our home this morning. She would have been 19 in June. Her life still wasn't long enough.

I'm really sorry, man. I know it hurts even when you make all the preparations for your pet to pass on fair terms.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thanks, everyone. I’ll probably make a post in the pet memorial thread but I got two sentences in and needed to stop.

She was the second cat I lost in less than a year. I just need some time to regain my composure.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Ballz posted:

She was the second cat I lost in less than a year. I just need some time to regain my composure.

Sorry for your losses. My 18yo passed in her sleep recently, and my 17yo is slowing down. At least she still has the wherewithal to swat the puppy when he gets too pushy about wanting to play. They never live long enough, but it’s wonderful while they’re here.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Loucks posted:

They never live long enough, but it’s wonderful while they’re here.

:love:

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
What's the recommendation on timer feeders? I really need to break my cat's association with me getting up with getting her food. I remain steadfast in only feeding at 7 am on the dot every morning, but she's just gotten more determined to get her food earlier. She's started trying to claw the bed and sheets, and me ignoring her isn't detering the behavior.

I don't need wifi or a camera or whatever, and she's the only pet in the house. I just need a reliable, preferably battery operated timed solution so that she gets her vet mandated half a cup of dry food everyday independent of my lumbering out of bed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Our 11 year old, Mallow, has turned out to have advanced Liver cancer, 6 six weeks after we adopted him. The adoption agency knew he had liver problems, but sold him to us as a fully healthy, albeit old, cat. We are devastated. On the one hand we feel so happy that he has got to spend his last weeks or months with us were we can love him and treat him like a king, but on the other hand its nowhere near enough time.

We are terrified about missing the tipping point in his quality of life, and this week he has stopped eating all but a couple of mouth fulls of food a day despite still being excited by the thought of meal time.

We are speaking to the vet today, and will most likely be taking him in to be put to sleep tonight or after the weekend.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

What's the recommendation on timer feeders? I really need to break my cat's association with me getting up with getting her food. I remain steadfast in only feeding at 7 am on the dot every morning, but she's just gotten more determined to get her food earlier. She's started trying to claw the bed and sheets, and me ignoring her isn't detering the behavior.

I don't need wifi or a camera or whatever, and she's the only pet in the house. I just need a reliable, preferably battery operated timed solution so that she gets her vet mandated half a cup of dry food everyday independent of my lumbering out of bed.

I've had this one for a year and a half https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CXMJB5, it's been working well for me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

God I’m sorry, that is scummy as hell by the agency :(

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PriorMarcus posted:

Our 11 year old, Mallow, has turned out to have advanced Liver cancer, 6 six weeks after we adopted him. The adoption agency knew he had liver problems, but sold him to us as a fully healthy, albeit old, cat.

I'm so, so sorry. If it's any comfort, the agency probably didn't deliberately lie to you; feline cancer can be extremely aggressive once it takes hold. We lost a 10-year-old cat to cancer, and it progressed from the vet saying "there's something a little funny on the X-ray that we should monitor long-term" to completely destroying his quality of life in... three weeks or so? It was so quick.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

On April 2nd I adopted a 1-year-old cat and am now debating if/when I should get him a playmate... I work full time during the week and play with him when I get home and sometimes a little in the mornings and switch out his toys now and again, but I feel bad leaving him alone so much during the day.

If I get another cat, should it be younger than him (he’s only 1) or can it be 1-2yo? And is it better for me to wait a few months or will it be harder the more settled in he is?

I don’t want to rush into getting more cats, especially when there’s no guarantee they’ll get along.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crocobile posted:

On April 2nd I adopted a 1-year-old cat and am now debating if/when I should get him a playmate... I work full time during the week and play with him when I get home and sometimes a little in the mornings and switch out his toys now and again, but I feel bad leaving him alone so much during the day.

If I get another cat, should it be younger than him (he’s only 1) or can it be 1-2yo? And is it better for me to wait a few months or will it be harder the more settled in he is?

I don’t want to rush into getting more cats, especially when there’s no guarantee they’ll get along.

If you want another cat, get one. Your current cat just sleeps under a bed all day and doesn't even care that you're not home.

Don't project human emotions onto him. He's a cat.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

This is literally in the OP:

quote:

If you're going to get a kitten; Get two.
For years, it's been commonly thought that cats are antisocial and don't need or want other cats around, but that is simply not true. Cats live in feral colonies all across the world, and have social hierarchies and interactions on a similar-but-different scale to dogs and rats. So, if you want a cat because you're going to be gone all day and feel that the cat won't care, please consider adding another cat to improve the first cat's daily life/reduce boredom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deteriorata posted:

If you want another cat, get one. Your current cat just sleeps under a bed all day and doesn't even care that you're not home.

Don't project human emotions onto him. He's a cat.

rear end in a top hat has lived with Bean for almost 5 years and it's only recently that he's started letting her share the human bed with him. Fuckin rear end in a top hat cat wanted to be an only

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crocobile posted:

This is literally in the OP:

It's kind of facetious and probably shouldn't be worded the way it is.

Cats do just fine alone. Some of them really prefer it and don't want others around. Lots of people have just one cat and everything is fine.

They also like having buddies they can play with. If you want a houseful of cats, they'll handle it.

The myth is that cats prefer to be alone and you should only have one. That is not true. Cats are very adaptable and can handle just about any number of compatriots.

So your cat will be fine either alone or with playmates. Get more if you want them. Your cat will adapt to it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Kittens specifically do well with more than one because they're energetic little shits and will annoy the crap out of anything that doesn't have that same energy (nothing short of nuclear weapons has that much energy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

At one year old you're kind of over the "rear end in a top hat kitten" hump so Deteriorata is correct. That said I would NOT have tried to raise a kitten by itself from six weeks old alone, they have waaaaay too much energy for that, and I insisted on a pair. But at a year? They settled right down and do whatever as adults. This involves a lot of sleeping.

(Though I wish they played more, because my third cat I adopted as an adult still has kitten-like rear end in a top hat energy and the other cats simply don't care for those shenanigans. So it falls upon me to entertain him when I'm home, which as you probably know is a lot nowadays. Bored cat + work call == no bueno.)