Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

exactduckwoman posted:

I know a girl who uses Swheat Scoop, scoops daily and has a covered, filtered litterbox. Her room still reeks of cat pee.

Use Arm & Hammer or Tidy Cat I guess and get used to hauling a little bag of poops out to the trash bin every day. The lack of smell is worth it.

I use Swheat Scoop and don't have the stench problem, although one thing to be aware of is that it tracks a tremendous amount. It is flushable, though, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

evelynevvie posted:

So I know that giving canned pumpkin to a kitty with poopie problems is supposed to help...but how much should you give him? And how many times, or for how long? We have some feline diarrhea and I've never given pumpkin to a kitty before. I know about it from lurking PI. :) Nibler belongs to my sister and her bf, they just got him but we aren't sure how old he is. I would guesstimate that he is between 3-5 months or so.

Just by way of caution, since I have just been dealing with this with my old man, if there is any vomiting, or if the cat's appetite suffers, you should go to the vet and not just try to persist with pumpkin. It may be nothing serious but my kitty turned out to have pancreatitis which obviously would not have gotten better on its own.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Lester Shy posted:

Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

The whole indoor/outdoor thing usually causes a ruckus in here but from my own experience you can keep a cat entertained inside if you try different stuff to see what he likes. Laser pointers usually work great when you can find yours. My old cat tends not to like any cat toy I have paid money for but will go nuts for pen caps. The new kid likes foam balls. Just keep trying different things and you'll probably find something that amuses him. Also cats like vertical space so try to give him stuff to climb up and sit on; that will make his indoor kingdom more appealing.

Cats outside can get hit by cars, beat up by other cats, attacked by raccoons or whatever, poisoned by stuff they shouldn't eat, and can be a nuisance to your neighbours. My cats are indoor kitties and they don't seem to be suffering.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
A question: My (relatively) new cat, now recovered from various health problems, is a long-haired hippie and I have not owned one before. He has these tufts of fur that grow out between his toes - they're a couple of centimetres long at least. When he was in at the vet, they trimmed all of them down, but they have since grown back to their former luxuriant configuration.

Do I need to be pruning these things back on a regular basis? He does not enjoy having his feet messed with, so cutting them would be an adventure, but if they're going to become a problem a way will be found.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

OatmealRaisin posted:

My Izzy seems to have diarrhea. It's her only abnormal symptom though, and she's still active and has a good appetite. While I haven't actually seen her eat much (I've been out of the house a lot) both the food and water dishes are empty at the end of each day. She hasn't gone outside the litterbox, and there doesn't seem to be anything bothering her physically. Should I take her to the vet in the morning, or is this a wait and see type thing?

Poor Izzy. I think she was the runt of the litter. :(

Take her to the vet. It could be nothing serious, but it could also be a parasite or something more serious. One of my cats barely escaped a bout of pancreatitis this summer, so you don't want to fool around.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I've seen Feliway recommended here a lot and I would like to give it a shot to see if it can chill out my older cat around the younger one. However I'm in Canada and can't seem to find a place to order it online - Petsmart won't ship to Canada, distributors through Amazon won't ship to Canada - can I only get it through the vet here, as some sites seem to suggest?

If there's a way to order it online that would be preferred.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Meow Cadet posted:

Looks like there is plenty on Canadian eBay.

I looked at that, although not exhaustively, and all the sellers I saw are in the States. I suspect there must be some kind of customs restriction on shipping the stuff across the border otherwise Petsmart would do it, so I'm hesitant to roll the dice with an eBay transaction.

I'll have a longer look I guess though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So. Introduction follies - new cat meows very sadly to get out of the isolation chamber, but it is only day 2. We've been spending loads of time with new cat and he has a window to look out and his own supply of drugs but man he seems horribly unhappy being restricted in there.

What to do?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Just let them meet, unless othercat is peeing and crying and hiding as it is. See how it goes.

Incumbent cat, who is dumb as a box of hair, occasionally figures out that there is probably another cat in there and meows back through the door. They've played paws back and forth a couple times. Letting the new cat out is what I keep being tempted to do but I keep hearing how important patience is. :ohdear:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Supervised interaction #1 underway. After a little hissing, incumbent cat determined his priority was to secure the catnip mouse and is now high as a kite. New cat seems confused by it all.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Success!

Pictures :colbert:

Right, yes, of course.

Here's incumbent cat Rexy prior to the arrival of the new guy, in all his floofiness

Here is new cat Tom starting to explore outside the isolation chamber

Rexy observes with an air of ... floofiness

The current state of kitty detente

So far so good. There has been a couple more hisses but no outbreak of genuine hostilities.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Tom's (newcat) current thing is to walk up to Rexy (incumbent cat), hiss, and run away. Done it two or three times now I guess.

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Neither is Rexy.

v:shobon:V

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Esmerelda posted:

I think you have the orange version of my cat. A hiss? What is that sound? How do you make it? What does it mean? Oh well, I'll flop over onto my back and take up my super effective defensive posture while chirping and -- ooo, look, shiny things!

Aggression understanding of a rock. Attention span of a fly.

Sounds like we may have a palette swap of the same cat. Whenever Tom gets kind of tense Rexy just seems completely bemused. Who? What? Where?

HPL posted:

Is staring a cat right in the eyes the cat version of "come at me, bro" or something?

Somewhat, yeah. Staring is definitely bad cat manners.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So new cat Tom has discovered laptops and how to interfere with the use of them.

Perhaps he just wanted to say hi to the thread.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
They'll probably put the Cone of Shame on him to stop him licking his stitches. This will be pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

Your vet will tell you if/when you have to come back in to get stitches removed, but I think it's a couple weeks. He'll probably be dopey from the anaesthesia when you take him home but I think most vets monitor them for a while before sending them home so he should be over the worst of it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Newcat Tom just got home from the vet and she could not hear the heart murmur the shelter said he had. I (and the vet) are taking that as good news.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

HPL posted:

I have no idea how or why, but I'm not allergic to my cat even though I've always been allergic to cats in general. It's not like he's some special breed or anything. Maybe you'll get lucky that way.

I am mildly allergic to cats but the symptoms get better and eventually go away after enough exposure to a particular cat. Anecdotally I have heard that this sort of thing is relatively common - adopt creature, have allergies, persevere, allergies relent.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If you can, take her in to a vet to see if she's microchipped, I guess.

Other than that, enjoy your new cat! :v:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Newcat Tom has now progressed to washing incumbent cat Rexy's head. Sometimes these sessions conclude with a sharp right hook to Rexy's skull. I'm not sure how to interpret this behaviour, and neither is Rexy.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Esmerelda posted:

It's establishing dominance most likely. The bathing isn't cleaning so much as "here, smell like me!" The jab to the head is probably part of that, my cats do that to each other too. They sound like they're getting along great :)

Well I wish him the best of luck with that since Rexy's reaction is pretty much 'derrrrrrrp' to the entire thing. As it is to most things.

This morning I have Cat Calibur: Fight! going on in my living room and it is hilarious.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

HPL posted:

The regular Weruva is pretty good too. Sometimes I feed my cat some, then look over at what I'm having for dinner and I'm like: "WTF. The cat is eating better than I am."

Just don't buy the Asian medley or whatever it is that has the Japanese anchovy in it. I bought that once and although the cat loved it, the stench was unbearable, especially when he wanted to jump up in your lap for cuddles right after eating it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

anaaki posted:

Question, PI. Is there any way to kick a cat's habit of hiding under/behind furniture and then running out and attacking you?

I found a 9 month old cat in Detroit at work last week and that is his favorite game in the evening. I can see him hunched down, ready to pounce, and then he attacks. But sometimes he's under the bed where I can't see, or waiting outside the room, and then lunges at my feet. Also while I am sleeping, he likes to bite my hands and feet (I wiggle my feet when I'm trying to fall asleep).

It's funny and cute now, but when I don't want this behavior to carry over when he's older

Give him some other ways to play pounce - trail some toys and things past his hiding place and let him ambush those instead. Try to get him worn out playing that way.

Not sure what to do about the feet in bed though, aside from kicking him out of the room.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
My pair of idiots have now moved on to competitive licking. :catstare:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
As I understand things hissing is just part of how cats work things out. You sort of have to let them handle it. You will know if they are fighting in earnest for sure.

Not sure what to do about the food issue though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Cosima posted:

Desperately need some advice.

A terrible thing happened a few days ago, I woke up to find my poor little cat Fatty unable to walk straight so I rushed him to the vet emergency. Turns out he'd been hiding a kidney problem, by the time I got to there all they could do was put him on morphine and keep him warm. The vet thought the best thing to do was euthanize him, and I had to agree (he was in terrible shape, his kidney had swollen massively, it all happened so fast). They couldn't even move him to a private room because he was so unstable, so I had to pet his head and comfort him as the vet put him to sleep right in the middle of the busy clinic area. I was crying, a couple of the assistants who were helping to stabilize him were crying, it was terrible.

I miss him so much, but I think his sister (Snacksy) misses his presence more. I had adopted them together and they've never been apart. Now he's gone and I'm not sure what to do for Snacksy. I'm not ready to get a new cat, but I know she's just going to be bored out of her mind while I'm at work. I bought her some new toys and I've payed extra attention to her for the past couple of days, but I don't think it's enough. Right now I'm debating whether or not I should let her be an indoor/outdoor cat. She really likes the outdoors, she's always been the more adventurous of the two.

I just don't know what to do. I really want what's best for her. For the record, she's 2 years old.

Really sorry about your cat - sudden crises like that are so hard to deal with.

I really wouldn't make Snacksy an indoor/outdoor because of it though. That's only going to expose her to additional health risks. What she will probably do a lot of the time she's alone is sleep. It's not like she'll be watching the clock. Make sure you give her lots of attention when you're at home, set things up so she can look out a window if you can, and when you're ready (however long that is) you can think about getting her another buddy.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

duck monster posted:

Whats the best way to stop a cat bringing dead animals into the house.

She keeps bringing dead mice into the house , and everytime I confiscate them and throw em out, but she still does and now she just gets evasive of me when she's got one till I can corner her and take it off her.

But the other day it went too far and I came out and found a smashed up pigeon all over the kitchen and her sitting on the food prep table all chest puffed up proud (I dunno, maybe she wanted me to cook it for her? Who knows!) and it was gross.

Is there a way , other than "bring it inside and you lose it" , or is this just some instinct poo poo I need to accept?

You need to learn to hunt so your cat doesn't feel like she needs to keep you from starving to death.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Cat carriers for sure. You'll need them to bring the cats home! You should really never transport your kitties without one, from what I understand.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

jrr posted:

Sorry if there is a better thread for this, but... The exterminator came to my apartment today for a routine check-up type thing and now when I got home there's white powdery stuff all over the inside of one of my cabinets, the one with the cat food container. It was all over the lid of the container and when I opened it, there was some inside too. I am going to chuck all of the cat food that was in the container but what could this stuff be? I am assuming it's toxic to the cats but uh is it toxic to me too? There's nothing on the exterminator's note about it and it also isn't in any other cabinets.

I would call the exterminator (or your landlord if you don't have their contact information) and insist on knowing what's up. You should really be advised about any chemicals they're deploying in your place, and also if you have any critters that they're trying to wipe out that seems like it would be good to know too.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

TLG James posted:

I really need some sort of idea on how to keep my cat on the patio. I bought some vinyl lattice which helped for a bit, but she figured out how to climb them and has been close to escaping. It's just a small patio with a metal barrier. I'm thinking if I install some sort of overhang on the top of the gate, she won't be able to climb over it. Anyone ever been in a situation like that have any input?

Rope, a metal clip like on the end of a leash (both easily available at a hardware store) and one of those kitty harnesses.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Lemony Fresh posted:

Thank you! I think he just needs time. He came out from under the couch earlier and played with the toy the breeder gave me. He's been meowing every time I leave the room, and even following me around. He still won't let me touch him and is terrified of any other toy except the laser pointer. He likes that :3:

Yeah he's just getting used to you and the new place he has found himself in. Just hang out and 'ignore' him, he'll come to you before long.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

turtlecrunch posted:

Anyone want to recommend a good, sturdy cat ledge (the kind that attaches to a window) or additional means of securing a ledge? I had one for about nine months and yesterday it fell, and the sleeping cat on it hurt her leg. She is not a heavy cat (10 lbs), but I checked the back of the ledge and the support strut had literally ripped out of whatever material the ledge is made out of.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

What's the window sill itself like? If it is wide enough, and ideally wooden, you can probably just buy a shelf board at a hardware store and screw it directly into the sill. I did that in one of my old places, used two pairs of long screws, and the shelves tolerated my immense cat perfectly fine.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CousinKevin posted:

I couldn't find a thread on it, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips on finding a lost cat?

One of my cats has been gone for almost 4 days now, he is an indoor/outdoor cat, so him being gone over night and then being back in the morning is completely normal for him, but this is first time he's been gone for this length of time, and starting to worry.

I've contacted the shelters around my area and the vets around my area to see if he's been brought in, and gave them contact information, a photo, and his tattoo number in case he is brought in, I've talked with neighbours if they've seen him, and if they do to bring him in and phone me, I've put up some lost cat posters, and I've put food and water at both front and back doors in case he does stop by again, and I've also been walking around the neighbourhood seeing if I can find him. I can't think of anything else to do, but I feel bad that I'm not doing anymore to find him :(

And hey, if any of you happen to live around Fort Richmond/South Pointe in Winnipeg, Manitoba, here's a picture of my cat, Mickey, give me a PM or something if you find him

Sounds like you're doing most of the thing that need to be done. You might also put out a favorite blanket or something that smells like you/home to help him find his way.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
+1 for the 'bit at a time' method. One of my jerks really hates to have his paws messed with so when it's clip time I 1) wait for him to get good and settled in and then 2) do 2-3 toes before he gets grumpy and leaves. Then wait the 10 minutes it takes for him to forget why he was grumpy, come back, settle in again, etc.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Ochowie posted:

So I just got a kitten. I was going to adopt but I randomly came into contact with some Cornish Rexes and I knew it was a match. I brought him home on Friday and it was a stressful day as he had a tough journey was pretty scared. He's doing better now and sleeping with me and he's a purr machine. Seriously, he just runs over to me now and purrs nonstop. Here is a picture of the little jerk.

That is a bat.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Alteisen posted:

Truth be told I didn't wanna do it, but I saw him being born, was there when he opened his eyes, I was the first person he saw and heard, its only fitting I be there for the end.

I gave him a good life, I did my best, I have no regrets, I'm just sad.

He always was surly when people where around, but when it was just me and him he was another cat entirely, loved belly rubs.

The whole family is finally together. :unsmith:

Orange and white cats are the best cats, this is scientifically proven.

Sorry for the loss of your companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Deteriorata posted:

Cats are really good at hiding symptoms when they feel bad. Don't beat up on yourself, it's a common occurrence. We've all been there.

This is unfortunately very true. My 20-year old cat had me thinking he just had a cold until I took him to the vet and it turned out to be congestive heart failure. He was gone by the end of the day. I felt awful too but eventually recognized that I had done my best with him, just as you did with yours.

It's ok. You did your best to look after her and I guarantee she knew she was loved and had a good life. Don't be too hard on yourself.