Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Question - my cat (a 17 year old domestic shorthair) this morning has one very dilated pupil and one normal one. She seems otherwise normal, should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
It it a "take her to the vet today" kind of thing or "ok to wait until monday" kind of thing? It's a rough day but obviously Hobbes' health comes first.

edit; also thank you for your quick initial response!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks again, I'm on it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I just took over care of an older cat (age unknown, suspected 11-13) who has major overgrooming issues. He licks and scratches until he bleeds then starts on another spot. Several trips to the vet for a steroid shot, deworming, antibiotic, blood work (everything came back normal), and flea medicine have had basically had no effect. He's on Solid Gold Indigo Moon and is part of a 2 cat household with another cat he gets along fine with (they're cuddling now but his grooming is clearly annoying his cat friend). What should I try next? I was thinking of changing his food to the wellness and getting rid of my rug/cloth chair in case there's some dust mites... but beyond that, I'm at a total loss. The vet doesn't seem to know what to do either and I've already dropped more than I can afford on the situation. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I just want him to have good quality of life!

edit: I should say he's an appropriate weight, has a good appetite, is very friendly, and loves to play/be active. The overgrooming has apparently been going on for years but its severity comes and goes.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 5, 2013

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I just took over care of an older cat (age unknown, suspected 11-13) who has major overgrooming issues. He licks and scratches until he bleeds then starts on another spot. Several trips to the vet for a steroid shot, deworming, antibiotic, blood work (everything came back normal), and flea medicine have had basically had no effect. He's on Solid Gold Indigo Moon and is part of a 2 cat household with another cat he gets along fine with (they're cuddling now but his grooming is clearly annoying his cat friend). What should I try next? I was thinking of changing his food to the wellness and getting rid of my rug/cloth chair in case there's some dust mites... but beyond that, I'm at a total loss. The vet doesn't seem to know what to do either and I've already dropped more than I can afford on the situation. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I just want him to have good quality of life!

edit: I should say he's an appropriate weight, has a good appetite, is very friendly, and loves to play/be active. The overgrooming has apparently been going on for years but its severity comes and goes.

Please, does anybody has any insight on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Is he floofy? Have you tried brushing him or skritching him? If so, how does he react? Did the vet try any creams or anything to put on the skin rather than internal medicine? Do you bathe him too much?

He's a domestic short hair. She gave me something to spray on his problem areas (Gentamicin Sulfate with Betamethasone Valerate), but I can never get more than a squirt in before he's under the bed. His whole haunches are chewed up and he's been going after his stomach the last few days, so one squirt at a time isn't going to get all the areas. I don't bathe cats, but I guess I could try that if it would help.

quote:

Is there a lot of outside noises or causes for him to be skittish? Is yourhouse dirty/dusty? Allergies?

He's had this problem in 2 apartments before settling in at my parents house, which has hard floors that are vacuumed/mopped regularly and is fairly quiet. There were some changes in the form of two moves in the last 6 months - he's been at his current location for about 6 weeks.

Before that he had stress from living with a 3rd cat that would aggressively bully him (though he had the grooming problem prior to the introduction of that cat). The vet wanted to put him on daily steroid medication, but I've been told that he's extremely resistant to taking medication - so I'm skeptical of an open-ended schedule of oral dosing. The vet was also very wary of giving him the steroid shot saying that it could kill any cat over 10 years old.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 7, 2013