Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I checked the OP and it just backed up my original thought but I'm going to post anyway.

We just moved into a new apartment after living at home in my dads basement+two floor house where our cat had free reign so there was always a place to wander and a window to look out of into a 850 sq ft apartment and I'm like 90% positive he's just getting really really bored. He isn't pooping anywhere or being destructive but while he used to lay around and let me just calmly pet him for long periods of time anymore he quickly goes to teeth and claws. I'm going to get him some sort of cat tree or tall shelf to climb and sit on but I'd like something he can play with throughout the day so that I get my calm relaxed cat back and not deal with the hyper pointy cat. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sorry to hear about your loss ): it's never easy when a pet dies no matter how long they're with you.

Why does my cat have to watch us poop? If you close the doors to the bathroom he blindly claws through the gap between it and the floor so we tend to leave them open and he'll just sit there out of reach of pets and watch you poo.

If you bath he sits on top of the toilet and watches the entire time. Possibly out of awe how nothing bad comes from water.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OniKun posted:

Well, it's been a few weeks and Caspian is pretty much the ruler of our house now. He's vocal as all hell and likes to sing to us constantly. He meows when he's doing pretty much anything, but he'll be quiet sometimes.

The only issue we have is that while he is getting pet and completely content, he'll sometimes flip over, bite your hand lightly, and do the bunny kick on your arm. He'll stop if you pull away, and doesn't try to latch on or anything. I feel like he's not necessarily being aggressive, but it's still a little scary only because I know he could eviscerate the hell out of my arm if he felt like it. We immediately stop giving him attention if he bites/nibbles/scratches at all, but he still keeps doing the bunny kick.

That's just how they show love. Our cat only purrs when he's tearing my arms open. The girlfriend won't let him do that and coincidentally he and I have a better relationship than she has.

It's my fault because I encouraged it when he was a tiny kitten. Now he's an adult and it's less adorable and more painful

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to get a plant but I assume Shithead will murder it. Dad was growing a pineapple and it was actually sprouting and green until we brought him in and he ate it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Domino has been tearing apart boxes lately and leaving chunks of them all over the place. Is that a sign of pica or him just being an rear end in a top hat?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deteriorata posted:

Just being an rear end in a top hat. Our cats do that, too.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So it won't happen until something like a month/month and a half from now but one of the women I work with has a cat she's getting rid of when her boyfriend/fiance/whatever the gently caress goes overseas for the military. By getting rid of I mean the current plan is to put it down because they've tried unsuccessfully for six months to find someone to take it. I talked to my girlfriend about it after work today and she's okay with us taking her in rather than putting it down so if it gets to that point we're getting a second cat.

My concern is Domino does not do other animals. When we first brought him in from outside it was at her moms house and it took him about a week to stop skulking around and hissing at everything. But this time he won't have as big a house to go hide around in because instead of a house it's an apartment. The guys never had any accidents and I'm worried that the stress will cause him to start poopin'/pissin' on things.

Thoughts? I'm wary of the idea but I can't let a cat get put down just because she doesn't want it. Apparently health wise shes in great shape, is declawed and has never been outside a day in her life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I tried all those things to get Shithead to stop sitting on the fishtank and what finally did it was the time he knocked the lid in, fell in, and crushed the fish to death under the lid.

Poor David Bowie ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shithead discovered that he can climb the screen door to our balcony today.

What's the best way to nip that in the bud?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We're going to get that new cat this weekend. Any tips on making it a smooth introduction?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

Feliway, if you can afford it.

This stuff?

Comfort Zone Multicat Diffuser https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014HCXECW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SFdRybFF336AH

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mistaya posted:

I think my best advice to new catte owners is let your kitty settle in at his own pace. You're super excited and happy to meet him, but for him, he's just been taken from everyone he knows and dropped into an all new territory that he doesn't know anything about! It's scary! So let him hide a little, let him sneak around and introduce himself to the house. Make sure he knows where his food and litter are at, and let him come to you.

It might take a few days, during which you will want to explode, but he'll be a lot happier and less stressed. Some kitties are super adaptable and will be fine in a few hours, some take a lot longer, so just pay attention and give him the time he needs.

I'm mostly worried about how the new cat will handle it. He doesn't like people who aren't us or other animals. Talkin' if he can't find somewhere he does the arched back, puffed tail, and fear hissing.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hate to follow that with anything because that's just a horrible situation :(

We got the new cat just a little bit ago and so far both of them are hiding from each other...under the same bed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Update: The cats have left under the bed but are now sitting silently on opposite sides of the living room until one of them moves, then the hissing starts back up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How long did that take? Mine are still spending hours having staring contests where the first to move gets hissed at.

Domino clawed me in the face when I tried to pet him while he sat on the cat tree. Fucker.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The hissing has stopped. Domino now sees the Jellybean as a possible toy and tries to play except she's 6ish instead of a little over 1 and wants none of this shenanigans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jesus christ this thread just makes me wanna snuggle my cats but neither of them want to snuggle with me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

I snuggle mine against their will.

None of them would dare to scratch me though, they just meow.

Domino got his claws stuck in my face the other day because he was a stressed out rear end in a top hat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why is Domino mounting Jellybean? They're both fixed but I don't like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lareine posted:

Tell them how much their behavior shames you.

I put on my sternest voice so let's see if that works

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jellybean chitters like a squirrel when she sees a bird out on the balcony and it's hilarious. Domino just paws at the glass door or climbs the screen if it's open. But she stands there and chitters in an attempt to sound vicious I assume.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WE HAVE TWO LITTER BOXES USE THEM BOTH YOU LITTLE SHITS!

Anyone know why they prefer to just pile everything in one instead of using both?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

neongrey posted:

Aw yeah I have an interview with the humane society to become a cat cuddler, I will soon be cuddling bonus cats. :toot:

Is cat cuddling a paid job?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been having trouble breathing lately and I'm not sure if it's the addition of the new cat, the weather change, or something else so the doctor suggested locking the cats out of the bedroom and seeing if that improves. How do I make the little shithead who is used to sleeping on my feet cope with those doors being shut? The little poo poo HATES closed doors.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Left the cats alone for 24 hours and someone ate my Google home power cord. Since that isn't a murdering offense what's the best way to prevent that from happening again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pixelante posted:

All the cables and cords in my place are lightly misted with lemon juice. Keeps Snowflake from electrocuting himself on a daily basis.

How often do you respray them?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Domino's new favorite game is dumping his gallon water dispenser on the floor. Short of removing his legs how do I make it stop?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Organza Quiz posted:

Depends how/why he's doing it. I stopped Pepper from tipping up her water by covering the tank with an old thin pillowcase which stopped her from seeing the water so she didn't want to play with it anymore.

He starts out pawing the water in the tray and then kind of moves around batting the thing itself. Last night he had pushed it a good three feet away from.the wall (it was almost empty) before just pushing it over and licking the carpet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This morning I saw Jellybean scooting her butt across the carpet and thought it looked odd and when I came home from work there's now little brown lines across the carpet. I can't say for 100% it came from her and not Domino but this just started today. The top google result says worms but would it be normal for her to have just gotten them out of the blue? We've had her for two months now and neither her of Domino go outside. What do you guys think? Worms or something else?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah...if it's that I'll just go to a vet and have them handle it. I just wasn't thrilled to come home and find a circle of poop stain so this is gonna have to get solved real quick for my sanity.

How do I tell if it's worms vs that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

Is he neutered? Neutered cats generally won't mark territory with urine, although if he's an un-neutered stray, that's certainly possible. If he hasn't been neutered, you'll probably want to see to that ASAP; I've never owned an intact male cat, but by all accounts they have really bad marking/urine-discipline issues and other behavioral problems as housepets.

Domino peed outside hit litterbox one time and I got his balls cut off a week later so my anecdotal evidence confirms this.

Appointment scheduled for Jellybean tuesday morning. I wanna get her problem solved because poo tracks are gross and I can't even discipline her for it since she's sick.

Edit: The litterbox was full of diarrhea

Len fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 20, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jellybean realized almost two months after being brought in that she's capable of sleeping in Domino's spot on top of the DVD cabinet. Of course that is going over as well as could be expected since that's his spot and how dare she sleep there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Adequate posted:

I have absolutely nothing useful to tell you but SINGLE KITTENS ARE THE CUTEST loving THING :kimchi:

Counterpoint multitudes of kittens. I normally hate going with my girlfriend to get her hair done but right now her cousin the hair stylist has ten kittens at her house because both her and her boyfriend are irresponsible pet owners and I want to pet them all.

Just cover me in kittens. Fluffy, pointy, nibbling, meowing kittens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I like the kidnap idea myself, but that's because I'm fairly certain I kidnapped Domino from one of my girlfriend's neighbors.

We stopped at her house one night and there was the sorrowful pathetic whining outside so I called for the kitty and he came up to me for pets and then I took him inside and he mom was like "yeah sure you guys can keep him here" and then he was ours.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

taiyoko posted:

:same:

At college I'd always wished that as part of their "de-stress during finals week" events that the school would have the Humane society bring a bunch of kitties to snuggle.

Even now, though, I wanna snuggle some fluffy little kittens.

I've been trying to talk the office I work into getting emotional support pets for stressful times and while everyone says "that would be fantastic" I don't think we'll ever get puppies or kittens coming in for us to pet when things are going insane

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got Jellybean home from the vet. She had clogged anal glands but she's all better now.

Understandably she got a bit bitey during the procedure and now I have some nice puncture wounds on my arm. But I can't really be mad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Organza Quiz posted:

You mean the not-serious bitey wounds rather than the proper deep puncture wounds right?

I mean blood drippy ones because she got a good grip on me but I've had worse from angrier stranger cats. But she's being cuddly and apologizing for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How do fountains work of your shitheaded little demon spawn likes playing in the water? Little rear end in a top hat dumped a gallon of water on the floor the other night.

I BROUGHT YOU IN FROM THE COLD I CAN PUT YOU BACK OUT THERE drat IT!

I kid. I would be the saddest if Dr. Domino Fuzzbutt left

Although he needs to stop sticking his grubby mitts in my food. You don't even like spaghetti go away.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One of our cats has taken up peeing in front of the litter box and we cant figure out why. The litter hasn’t changed and we clean it daily. So goons give me some ways to solve this problem and also make the carpet not smell like pee