Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Deviant posted:

Hmm. Why would the cat poop on my bed and bathroom rug? The rug is 30 inches from the box for christ's sake.

I've tried:

- Vet appt (Got a UTI cleared up, going back today for a followup since it's still happening)
- New litter (went from World's Best to a pine/cedar type whose name escapes me)
- Nature's Miracle'ing the rug/bed/bedding

I've got 3 boxes for 3 cats, and don't really have the space for a 4th one, I guess I could move the box.

Cat could be constipated...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

You do you, but out of curiosity is there a particular reason why you want to bathe your cat?

Bathing them cuts down dander by a HUGE amount. Just don’t bathe too often, or you’ll wash out the oils they need to keep their fur silky.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Look at this fuckin arsehole

Awwww, looks like my little girl from the 90's, I miss her so much.

Whenever I go to the pet store to pick up treats, I have a mini-breakdown if they've got any torties for adoption.... :-(

But NO more cats until these three are gone. Spouse and I have a pact on that.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I currently clean the poop out everyday and change the litter every week.

I'm thinking changing the litter every 2 weeks isn't going to hurt anything, unless it stinks to high hell.

I have 3 cats and 2 boxes. The boxes get cleaned every 2 days and I don't change out litter for a month. I'll add a little bit of extra litter at the 2 week mark. The boxes don't stink.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
They're probably evil or somehow or other maligned by the PI goonhivemind, but we've got Banfield for our three cats, and they have been pretty drat good. Free* vet visits, free dental, free xrays, low-cost meds... they've been great for the past 8 or so years.

Cost per month went up this year when I did the first cat's renewal, but I've been expecting that since the cost has been flat basically since we got the plans.

*Free as in Totally Not Free, since you're basically paying for the policy over a year, which covers the cost of the dental.

:3: Love me some Bob!

poolside toaster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 11, 2018

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Infinitum posted:

OK guess I'll just live with a weird cat that likes to suckle blankets and dance in the shower as water drips on her.

Welcome to the Never Shower Alone Again Club! :hfive:

Mine likes to bang on the shower door and bitch until you open it.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Our vet didn't tell us that our grumpy old man cat had lost 5 pounds since his last visit. We didn't notice until after we got back from vacation how skinny he was... he's now 11 pounds - down from 20.

Multiple things... ruled out thyroid, which leaves bad tooth (needs removal), tumor, cancer, or something else horrible. Won't know until we get an ultrasound next week.

Having trouble dealing with this. This butthead is the smartest cat I've ever had, and I love him dearly. I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't come to the garage door demanding I feed him the moment I get home. There's hope that it'll be something manageable, but I have to prep for the worst. :ohdear:

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for that. I'm hoping he'll recover and pester me for another 5+ years, but I need to be realistic too. It's always been easier before with other cats, when it's sudden.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
The SO and I are watching a friend's dog this weekend while they are out of town.

So far: dog walked, pulled himself completely out of his collar, ran over to three dogs and the other dogs attacked him. Managed to pull him away and get him to a pet hospital.

He's in surgery now and the SO and I are attempting to eat. Lots of fun looks from other patrons due to being covered in dirt and blood.

.....and this is why we have cats.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
RIP Noodle...

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Those kittens are biting that female!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

mistaya posted:

The main concern is "Will they meow for 8 hours straight and drive you absolutely insane". Which, you know your cats, and if you think they will do that then ask the vet about tranquilizers. You just drug em once in the morning and kitties sleep the rest of the day and wake up in Virginia and everyone is happy!

Our derpy old man cat is the type that will meow frantically once every 10 seconds if you put him in a carrier. Then he'll meow all the way to the vet. At the vet, he'll meow the entire time he is there. On the way home, he'll meow all the way there. When you let him out of the carrier at home, he'll stop meowing.

He will literally meow himself voiceless if left at the vet for any length of time for procedures.

Travel == tranquilizers!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
If my SO and I are chilling in the office for the evening, the cats will hang out on the far side of the room.

The later it gets, the closer they will sit. Eventually the sweet little girl will be up against my desk.

If we stay up ridiculously late, she will stand on my desk. Then she will attempt to sit on my lap, while bitching us out.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

It is hell in that room now and I'm almost to the point where I finally use this as an excuse to tear the carpet out of that whole floor and replace it with hardwood or whatever.

You'll probably have to replace the subflooring as well.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

mistaya posted:

Even as early as four or five weeks they've got some personalities. The batch I got for fostering had one that was clearly Boss Cat, one that was quietly the Smart Kid, one that would do anything for foods, one that had to be on your lap if you were within five feet of her, etc.

One suggestion I have for anyone socializing kittens is make sure you pick them up and hold them for a little while each day (on their belly and on their back) so they're not afraid of it as adults. It makes it much easier to do things like clip nails or anything a vet has to do if they aren't afraid of/fussy over being picked up.

And play with their paws, so they get used to them being touched.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

pidan posted:

- cat allergies can be treated by an allergist.

I went through a three-year course of shots to desensitize me to animal dander and I highly recommend it if you are allergic. It's like night and day.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Enzymatic cleaner for oopsies
Paper towels for vomit
Cat nail clippers
a cat bed or box, or blankets the cat can call their own
treats

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Seconding the Cat Attract.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Definitely sounds like a tooth issue.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Evidently treating a kitten at the shelter for worms is oftentimes insufficient, so everyone with kittens should presume their kitten has at least worm eggs if you ask me. My shelter cat I adopted 4 weeks ago has confirmed roundworms after an initial de-wormer at the shelter and an initial round of antibiotics for the diarrhea that went away, but after perfectly healthy poops for weeks now he’s got vomiting and diarrhea and my ragdoll kitten is now also having diarrhea when he had healthy bowel movements for almost 2 weeks now. Really makes my night to be brushing my teeth while watching a kitten in its litter box eject liquid hell and a visible, pale worm out (I had sent a fecal out earlier in the day for testing). Anyone got tips for keeping long hair cats clean and sanitized when they’ve got diarrhea?

Go to a groomer and ask for a "hygenic cut". This is also good for older/fatter cats that have difficulty cleaning their back half.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

joebuddah posted:

Our cat Sophie, was really sick a few months ago. I had to syringe feed her food from the vet. She's back to about 90%.
Any way since she has gotten better, she has started grooming me at night when we goto bed. ( Licking my head and hair)
I realize she's being sweet and showing affection. But it kinda weirds me out. Is there a nice way I can get her to stop

Every night, our old man cat tramps across my SO's pillow, stands between our heads, and licks my head (or beard, or both) for a few seconds, and then he walks down to my stomach/waist and nestles himself between my body and my left arm and faces my feet.

I don't have the heart to do anything about this ultra-adorable behavior.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I heartily recommend immunotherapy, worked for me!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Big Mackson posted:

I got a 1 year old cat this summer and its been great. It really likes to lick my fingers when i am petting it tho.

My cat Nina does the same, it's her way of acknowledging being petted a little too long. The longer you pet her, the more "enthusiastic" the licking becomes. If you push it too long she'll get up and leave, or if she's in a mood she might give you the tiniest of nips.

It's, "Yes, you've petted me, now please stop."

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
My old man cat (~16y) is still going strong, but he's got in the habit of cleaning excessively around the base of his tail on both side. This is causing clumps and mats to form.

He's perfectly fine letting me untangle him with the furminator or my hands, but I'm thinking what he really needs is a shave.

Any thoughts why I shouldn't? He's indoor only and the temp is always between 71º-76º, so he's not going to freeze or anything.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Excessive grooming is a problem in of itself. There's no real problem with shaving a cat for grooming reasons, but you should address why he's going nuts there if you haven't already talked to your vet.

Thanks, that's a great point! He's always been fastidious about his fur.

In the past year or so, though, his fur has definitely changed texture and his coloring is fading... he's now a visibly older cat.

My guess is that the texture change is really the cause of the increase in matting.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
We are losing our grumpy 17 year old butthead boy cat this Friday and I can feel I'm going to be a mess.

He had always been a sneezer, but about 6 months ago he started sneezing *a lot* and we went through the antibiotic treadmill. He'd get better then get worse again. He stopped eating treats (probably because he couldn't smell them), and this cat was the most food-oriented cat I've ever known. Vet informs us that he's gone mostly deaf.

Then about a week ago we noticed a bump at the top of his nose. Xray shows a growth in his sinus. Apparently the poor guy has a cancerous tumor spreading from his sinus into the front of his head (probably causing the deafness, too). Lump is visibly getting larger day over day.

So we contacted our mobile vet, and she's going to come out and euthanize him Friday. Husband wants to hold him during the procedure; he'll be a loving mess for days, if not weeks.

drat loveable cat. I'm going to miss him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Harold DOES NOT TRUST cpap machine :catstare:

Just wait until Harold learns that biting holes in the hose Always Gets Daddy/Mommy Up And Paying Attention To Me.