Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My normally calm and sweet cat got a little freaked out while I was clipping his claws, and when he jerked his foot away, I somehow managed to slice his toe pad open. It's kinda bad, like the pad part can be peeled back and you can see bloody stuff underneath. It didn't really bleed, though. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and now have his foot in a little sock that I secured around his leg with a tight hair-tie. I don't want him walking around in the litterbox with an open wound on his foot. Is it worth going to the vet tomorrow, or will they just tell me to basically keep doing what I'm doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

One of my cats is VERY affectionate, while the other one hardly is at all, to the point that it kinda bothers me. Could it just be his personality? He does come running to the door when I get home, and he will sleep in the bed with me at night, so I know he does like me. But other than that, he just... doesn't really seek me out. He'll go the whole day sleeping in the cat tree, while my other cat follows me around, sits on me, purrs etc. He seems to enjoy being petted but he rarely "asks" for it. I've had him for 3 years.

I think he might just be kind of weird. He doesn't seem very intelligent compared to other cats I've had. He has trouble figuring toys out and has unusual habits. But I just wonder if there's something that I could do to encourage more of a bond? Thanks.

Edit: Here's a couple pictures :3:

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 4, 2019

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Okay, I'll whip out the treats more often and I'll try to play with him directly more (I usually turn on the automatic toys.) Really, as long as it's not a sign that he's unhappy in some way, that's good news. I have started using his name more in the past couple weeks and he has started responding to it, so that's some progress already!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

One of my cats exclusively shits right next to the box. Why. He doesn't go anywhere else in the house. He knows not to poop on rubber mats or carpet so I put down some mats around the box, but he just poops as close to the box as he still can while avoiding the mats. He does pee in the box 99% percent of the time at least, with just a few exceptions.

I have two cats who are close and comfortable with each other, and two litter boxes, which are in different rooms. I have heard it's a good idea to have one more box than the number of cats, but I live in a one bedroom apartment and don't really have room for 3 boxes. But if that's what I have to do, I'll find a way to cram two of them in right next to each other I guess.

He pooped in the box just fine for the first year of his life. Then, he started pooping on the floor whenever I changed the litter to fresh litter (or if, on rare occasion, it got a little too dirty). Now he only poops by the box. What do I do?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I've yet to figure out why my cat exclusively poops right next to the box. I've tried moving the box around and changing to natural, unscented litter. On rare occasion he will use the box, and I always immediately praise and pet him after, though I don't know if cats make that connection anyway.

Before he goes, he will scrape all around the floor around the box. I guess something isn't to his satisfaction. But if it isn't the litter or location, what should I do? The box has high sides to prevent litter flinging, so I tried taking it off and he still pooped next to the box. I usually move his poop into the box because I thought smelling his own stuff in there might help.

I have two cats, and poopy kitty is not the alpha. But they love each other and get along swimmingly, so I'm not sure if he is intimidated to poop in the exact same spot or something? He obviously knows the box is the right location because he doesn't poop anywhere other than RIGHT next to it.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I already have two litter boxes, so maybe I need three. And it's not a pooping-over-the-side problem, because he goes over to the box, scratches around on the floor outside of it, then deliberately poops next to it. He'll then try to cover it up with the sad few crumbles of litter that are on the floor. This happens no matter where I move the boxes. Maybe I'll get a third one of a different type and see what he thinks.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Cat is driving me bonkers with his poops. He still poops on the floor right next to the litter box every single time. I've tried different litter, adding a third litter box, different type of box (1 closed, 2 open), moving the boxes around, and yet he still continues to poo poo right next to them. I even move his poop into them. I'm at a loss, here.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

So I made a very interesting discovery about my cat who has chronically pooped right next to the box for years. Turns out he will go in the box... if I am there with him. What's up with that? Does he feel like he needs my comfort or approval to go in the box? If it's the comfort aspect, that makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy that I bring him security instead of anxiety when he's trying to do his business. I thought cats liked to be left alone while going potty but apparently not my cat, Boppo. Obviously I can't be there every time he needs to poop, but maybe doing this while I'm home will condition him into using the box more.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

One of my cats has taken up excessive vocalizing and I'm not sure what else to try at this point. He's really smart, social, and active, so I guess he's bored? I've bought him all kinds of toys, put a bird feeder by the window, put videos for cats on the TV, rotated out boxes and bags with catnip and things in them, and he plays with my other cat. I've even gotten creative and constructed forts out of blankets so that he has somewhere "new" to go and hang out. But he's obsessed with sitting by the closet door (where I keep one of his electronic toys) and meowing all day. Even when that toy is out! Or meowing by the front door, or at the water bowl. I don't know what he needs!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

OK thanks guys. I was worried that he was meowing so much because something is wrong but it sounds like the more you attend to meows, the more they do it, so I'll try ignoring it and playing with him when he's being polite about it lol.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Any tips for multiple cats with different eating habits? I have two cats, one who likes to nibble throughout the day and is 11 pounds (Noodle), and one who eats everything in sight and is 16 pounds (Boppo.) I used to feed them two times a day but Boppo was eating 70% of the food, so I started feeding them lots of small meals throughout the day so that they are both eating the same amount. It's been a month and his weight hasn't changed. Noodle is a lot more active, so I guess I need to feed Boppo less because he's sedentary? I've been playing with them more as well.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 31, 2021

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Dang, I had looked into microchip feeders before but the price is a little too steep for me right now. I'll keep it in mind though if more exercise (and feeding the fat one less) doesn't seem to help soon, thanks.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

LorneReams posted:

I'm putting my cat down today. He's 17. I joined SA because I rescued two feral kittens when a neighborhood decided to kill off a wild colony with food laced with antifreeze. These were the only (known) two survivors and were with their dead mother in a coworkers basement. She asked if I wanted them, and for some reason despite never having a pet before, I said yes. Raised them from about 1 week old. Got a lot of advice from here. I don't know why I'm posting this, I'm just in a weird place.

Goondolences, friend. I'm sure you did an awesome job. My childhood cat also lived to 17 and it was hard to let him go. :love:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

So, my cat just fell from my two story balcony. I have mesh all around the bars and they've been going out there safely (with supervision 99% of the time) for a long time now with no incident, so I have no idea how this happened. He seems completely fine and is acting normal, affectionate, and playful, but should I take him to the vet this week? I assume they'd have to take expensive x-rays or cat scans or something, which I would love to avoid because I'm poor. But I know cats hide their injuries and my mom had a cat die from a fall-related injury, so I'm worried.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Hi cat thread, I posted this in the vet thread, but I thought I might as well ask here too. My 6 year old kitty Noodle and I had a very stressful Christmas. He was vomiting and refusing to eat for days, but they didn't find anything at the regular vet. It got to where he couldn't even hold down water at all, so I had to take him to the ER the day before Christmas Eve. They couldn't see any foreign objects on the x-rays or sonogram, but his stomach was inflamed and the barium they gave him got stuck in his colon, so they decided to do exploratory surgery at 2 AM on Christmas morning. They didn't find any objects, just a lot of very hard poop and a lot of hair which they removed. He is now home and doing fine, and finally eating a little bit again. I have to give him a bunch of medication multiple times a day which he absolutely hates, but he's also happy and relieved to finally be home after three days in the scary hospital.

The vet didn't say anything about how to prevent this from happening again. Should put him on a higher fiber diet? He eats dry food during the day and splits a can of wet food with his brother every night, but maybe he needs more wet food? He does like to drink water and is always stealing sips out of my cups, so I'm not sure why he was jam-packed with rock hard poop. Maybe he only became constipated because he couldn't drink for a few days, and something else caused the problem? This whole fiasco cost me $5,600 in total.

Cat tax: Noodle is the orange one. The other kitty's name is Boppo. :kimchi:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks, I'll ask the regular vet about pumpkin or miralax tomorrow. I'm going to take Noodle back in because he ate a little when he came home but hasn't eaten again in 24 hours. He seems too nauseous because he gags or drools when presented with food. It doesn't help that he refuses to swallow his anti nausea tablet. He just froths and spits and goes nuts no matter how long I hold his mouth closed. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to eat after stomach surgery and a traumatic weekend, but he's losing weight and hiding a lot.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Mom got Harold a bed for Christmas and I scoffed cause cat using a bed :rolleyes: but I put it where he tended to curl up the past few days on the bed and now whenever I lay down to nap or sleep he lays down in his bed too :kimchi:

One of my cats loves kitty beds. I put one at my feet by my desk so he can chill there when I'm working from home. It was a smashing success, so now there are two other strategically placed beds around the home and they all get regular visits.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

The exact same thing just happened with my cats when I brought Noodle home from the vet. As you can see from the pic I posted earlier, they're like two peas in a pod but I guess the weird smells made Boppo confused and he hissed at Noodle for 2 or 3 days. Coincidentally, Boppo is not the brightest cat I've had either, lol.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Is it at all common for a cat to get significantly sweeter with age? It would make sense if you adopted a mature cat who needed time to warm up, but I've had my kitty Boppo since he was 8 weeks old. The first few years, he was VERY aloof, to the point it made me a little sad. He would at least hang out in the same room as me, but always up and away in a cat tree, and he wasn't much of a cuddler. He never asked for much other than food. I had just accepted that that was his personality.

But somewhere around the 5 year mark, I noticed he was becoming a little sweeter. He started sitting on the couch with me and asking for attention and pets more often. This was two years ago, and since then, he's just exploded with sweetness!! He loafs on my chest or my back every day, rolls around on the floor for pets, and even gets so happy his tail gets poofy from excitement. I love it, but what happened?!

The man in question:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 30, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Not the best picture, but does anybody know what might cause this kind of irritation in the corner of the mouth? It's only on one side, just noticed it last night. Thanks.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks, I think y'all are right that it's just a little nick because it looks less raw today. My mom said it could be fungal infection but I don't know how common that is for indoor cats.

kw0134 posted:

I'm pretty sure one of my cats got a lesion like that gnawing on a claw on his hindleg, got startled, caught his nail on the corner of his mouth for a second cutting himself in the process. Cats.

This is absolutely something he would do. He chomps his nails down to nubs on the reg.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

melon cat posted:

It could be cat acne, which is caused by plastic drinking and food bowls. Plastic has tiny pores which harbour bacteria which can cause cat acne. Switch to stainless steel feeding bowls if you haven't already. If you already have stainless steel bowls then it likely isn't cat acne.

Yeah, I had to learn about that the hard way when both my cats kept getting big blackheads on their chin. They still get it if I go to long without washing the steel bowls. This looks different from what I can tell. It's a little swollen and it bled a little.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

I have two male cats, both neutered. They usually get along really well. I had to take one to the vet to take some teeth out because of plaque bulidup. The cat that stayed home keeps hissing at him if he comes close. I guess it's a scent/hormone thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and is he going to remember him eventually or has their relationship like been reset?

One of my cats had to spend a few days in the hospital and when he came back his typically sweet, saintly brother hissed at him nonstop. It made me really sad because he had just gone to hell and back, only to get cussed out when he made it home lol. I think it took two or three days. Maybe you could rub him down with a blanket that reeks of home but they should be over it soon either way.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Any goon tips for kitty asthma? My cat is 8 years old and started having asthma attacks here and there a little over a year ago. The vet prescribed prednisolone to take as needed. I quit vaping in case that was the cause, but it didn't help. He is now having a short asthma attack almost every day! I have an appointment for him on Thursday, but I was just wondering if there's anything you guys have found helpful, since my options are pretty much... more steroids.

I use Naturally Fresh cat litter which is made of crushed walnut shells. I figured that a more natural litter would be better for their airways, but maybe not? Do I need to be more vigilant about dust around the home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm a (human) respiratory therapist, do they not give... bronchodilators for cats? Steroids aren't where you want to start but if someone (or a cat?) is requiring frequent use of a rescue inhaler (ventolin, salbutamol, etc depending where you live) you would start steroids at that point. Steroids in the absence of a bronchodilator will not have any immediate effect.

If it's anything like humans I would expect that your cat didn't just start to have asthma at age 8. How is his heart doing? Wheezing is often caused by things other than asthma, such as having too much fluid or pressure in the blood vessels in the lungs. This can happen from degrees of heart failure or from renal issues. I would just make sure they're actually investigating this and not just doing the human GP thing of "oh a wheeze? Must be asthma". If you recently moved or something and the cat is exposed to something different now than they were the first 8 years I would think more along the lines of asthma.

My options last time I took him in were liquid steroids or an inhaler, and I thought there was no way I could hold an inhaler over this cat's face (I mean, if it comes to it I'll figure it out, but... yeah.) I was also under the uneducated impression that a bronchodilator was just an inhaled type of steroid until your post. Maybe he can adjust to an inhaler if he can stand it long enough to realize it makes him feel better.

I hadn't considered it could be something else. He has all the typical cat signs of asthma (sitting low to the ground, sticking his neck out, and making those awful crunchy coughs.) But I will ask them. We did move a couple of years ago, though it was practically down the street, so I wouldn't think there are any new irritants unless it's something about the building. Thanks.