Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder
I'm struggling to introduce a new kitten into a two cat household. I watched videos on it and read, but its taking so long that I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

My two adult cats are 4 year old rescue siblings and the new kitten is another rescue.

Things we are doing/have done:
1) For two weeks my girlfriend has been sleeping on the floor of the second bedroom with the new kitten and keeping it apart from the other cats. (No issue here, all cats seem ok with this)
2)We have been occasionally switching litter boxes between the main box and the kittens box to get the other cats used to the new kittens smell. (No issue here, I didn't have to clean any unusual marking as a reaction to the new smell)
3)Playing with them by the door to the second bedroom at the same time the kitten is being played with on the other side. (No issue here either, but they don't seem to even notice each other. I'm hoping the cats are being discreet and not that this is having no affect)
4)Same as above but with treats
5)Opening the bedroom door just enough that the cats can smell and see each other, maybe half and inch to an inch? Can't get their heads through (This is where the issues begin. Both adult cats will hiss at the kitten through the crack.)
6)Room exchange. Instead of the adult cats in the rest of the apartment and the kitten locked away, we put the adult cats in the bedroom and allowed the kitten to explore the apartment (No problems here as far as I could tell. I stuck with the adult cats and I didn't see any marking. They were interested in the kitten scent, but seemed about as interested exploring a room they hadn't been in for a little while)
7)Kitty parade in which one of us carries the kitten in our arms though the apartment out of the safety of the second bedroom to meet the other cats from a distance in the living room where they have space to retreat and express themselves. (Mixed reaction. I often break line of sight and distract with toys if the staring lasts more than a few seconds, however they will eventually hiss which usually cuts the parade short)
8)Free roam introduction in which the kitten occasionally escapes from confinement and I try to keep her explorations safe while corralling the other cats until I can get control of the situation or can get help from a partner. (Unplanned but mixed reaction. The adult cats will watch the kitten while it explores, and when it gets either too close to them or starts to touch things they consider either personal or a resource for them, E.G. a new toy, they will attempt to run up to the kitten and hiss in her face, maybe bat at her head. I can't be sure as I have always prevent any physical contact between the kitten and the adult cats.)

It's the last behavior that concerns me the most as both cats still want to get in the kittens face to hiss and...I don't know, define territory? I do not want/will not have any of these cats intimidated in their own home for the rest of their lives, so I need help, if that's possible. I know this is a process that can take more than two weeks, but I would love some advice on what I should be doing. I'm by no means an expert so I'll take whatever advice you give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

Deteriorata posted:

What you need to do is leave them alone and let them sort it out for themselves. Cats are always going to hiss at each other and swat. It's normal behavior.

It sounds like everything is going fine. None of them are going to be intimidated forever.

So, what are you saying? Allow the kitten to explore the full apartment and try to monitor the fights to make sure no one is injured? I'm more familiar with dogs, so I don't completely understand cat aggression and social behavior on first glance.