Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like a little advice on how best to procede with a kitten, if the thread would be so kind. We (me, my wife, and 3.5yo daughter) have a grumpy 12 or 13 yo female, which we adopted shortly after she was rescued from under a trailer. Our other cat passed away about 1.5 or 2 years ago. Just before covid hit the area, we decided to get another kitten, thinking it would be great for our daughter to grow up with a kitty, and not just have a semi feral lazy hisspot cat in her life. We crossed our fingers that a kitten might get the old cat moving around a bit more. We followed nearly all the advice (ignoring the "buy these odor erasing sprays and strips" stuff) we could find on introducing cats, specific kitten and older cat videos, etc. They are at the level of tolerance, but the old cat just seems to hate all other cats, and has seemed to for her whole life. She isn't fond of most people either.

So now we're getting another kitten from the same mother and father. We have a hold on a month old male kitten. Two brothers, about 4 months age difference

Introducing a little brother from a subsequent litter: good/bad/terrible idea? Any special advice for this?

Hope it's cool to post pics
This is Peter Parker. We call him Petey. His brother will be Charlie Parker

They're going to be big boys. I just weighed Petey, and he's at 7.2lbs and 5 months old. Looks about the size of a smallish full grown cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha should have asked us, I could have told you from personal experience that wasn't going to happen.

Shouldn't really make a difference. All that will matter to both kittens is that they have a playmate that has as much energy as them and they'll likely be bonded for life.

On that first part, that wasn't our main motivation. It was hopeful thinking of a bonus if it happened.

The second part is nice to hear. Hopefully the age difference isn't too great, and Petey is still rambunctious when Charlie's ready to party with him.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooh, I found a way to stop the furry alarm clock from going off at 5am. Automated feeder set to feed in the middle of the night.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Once they get older most cats are perfectly content to be lazy butts. It's part of why I love cats, they are such easy pets compared to dogs, after the kitten phase.

Same

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Such Fun posted:

- Sex: male
- How long have you had your cat? 13 years minus the first few months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yup
- What food do you use? Hill’s diabetes
- When was your last vet visit? 2 weeks ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just this giant baby
- How many litter boxes do you have? One giant litter box

This is Meneer de Ruyter, but he listens to any name if I use the right tone so it’s something new every 3 days.
I got him at probably 6 months old, a rescue from a shelter. I think this is where his bad behaviour with food started.

When I adopted him I was in extremely poor health myself, and he was in almost as bad a shape. We both got back to good health together, and we have had an amazing bond ever since. Most of the time he is the sweetest, most affectionate cat. Wants nothing more than to sit on my lap, to lie next to me, press his body close to me for hours. But when it gets to food he becomes an unholy terror. It has been this way from the start, and I propably hosed up there 13 years ago by caving in to his behaviour, giving him food so I could just go back to sleep.

About 6 months ago the consequence of all those years of overfeeding presented itself in the form of diabetes. He now gets 2 shots of 8 iu insulin a day, and is on a diet of 60 grams of Hill’s Diabetes a day. Last 2 check ups his glucose was 6.2 and 5.9, so it’s under control.
But before the diet he would eat up to 200 grams a day, and still want more. 30 grams twice a day has him howling, literally. He starts most days between 03:00 and 04:00. Non stop screaming, banging the kitchen cabinet doors, knocking stuff down.
I don’t give in: he gets his shot at 5:30, and then he gets his kibbles in his ‘feeding ball’ (the toy he has to keep hitting to get a few kibbles each time).

After several months of being strict and consistent, his behaviour only seems to get worse. I have not had a decent night’s sleep in so long, it is become a very serious issue in every aspect of my life: my health, work, social life, even that very special bond between the two of us.

Something has to change. Any advice would be very appreciated, thanks!
As mentioned before, an automatic feeder might work. Setting it to spit out a small portion of the daily ration in the middle of the night has convinced our cats to not wake us up at 5am to get fed. Not sure if your kitty needs an injection before feeding? That might complicate things. Do they make feline insulin pumps?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just a quick note before I try to catch up on the previous 200 plus posts. I had asked for advise introducing a younger brother to our kitty. Great news! Charlie has been here for a little over a week, and he is getting along wonderfully with Petey! They wrassle, chase each other, even groom each other and snuggle. Yesterday, even though I gave each one their own bowl of wet food, they wanted to eat together from the same one!
I do keep Charlie in the bedroom with me when I want to sleep, and have to separate the boys on occasion, mostly when Petey gets riled right up, and a bit too rough. He has a 7 pound weight advantage on the little dude.
It's also hilarious to see a 9 week old, 2 lb fluffball pounce from above, and put the run on a 7 month old, 9 lb monster.

Looking up cat growth charts, and Petey has been off the top of the chart for a while, and it looks like he might keep growing potentially up to 18 months (has some ragdoll in him). We're going to have a couple garden tigers on our hands.

Imagine I posted a kitty pile pic here, because imgur is not cooperating.

Grand Fromage, just wear Carhartt pants and embrace the love.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Len posted:

Visual confirmation of Bean using the Robot, NEVER SCOOP AGAIN

If you ever bet nostalgic, I can come over and poop in a box for yah. Might cost :10bux: , though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Leal posted:

Cat goons I come to you with a question. Very good chance I will be moving. What should I do when it comes to introducing a cat to a whole new backyard? I'm afraid he'll try to go back to where I live now.
I've moved a few times (long way each time, so cats wouldn't be able to find the old place if they tried), with the same 2 cats. Each new place, we got them used to the new indoor space, then slowly introduced the new outdoor space with them on harness and very long leash. After a while, we let them off leash. No real big issues. Occasionally not coming home at night, and habving to be let in come morning time. But, again, only the 2 cats. Ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Whoa boy, know what is my new least favourite thing in the world? Giving a cat eye drops. Our poor Petey got poked in the eye (suspect his younger brother, who looooooves to wrassle), and it got infected. Only noticed him being one eye squinty, then saw a red streak in his cornea, over the iris. Oooh no, emergency call out on a S undaay, and the vet prescribed 3 different drops, and an oral anitbiotic. One of the drops is every 4 hours. Having to pin and hold a 10.2lb adolescent tiger six times a day is starting to wear on us. Thankfully my wife is here, and we can split the duties.

It's also hilarious to see him look you in the eye. One of the meds makes him all (pretend I put in that smilie with one eye bulging out. I can't find it anymore).