Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my kittens has found out she can burrow under the sheets in my bed then sleep curled up next to my feet in the super warmth, this is adorable.

Her sister is gigantic (nearly 3kg at five and a half months) and has found out that there are now sometimes things that live under the covers and are even more fun to jump on than my feet. This is not conductive to her sister getting to nap.

Kitten tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

In my experience if you have a bath yourself and soak in the tub then just as you are getting relaxed, a kitten will try to walk along the edge of it, slip on the porcelain, and get drenched.

Of course then you have a madly flailing kitten raking their claws through your flesh as they scrabble out.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Maine Coons aren't expensive cats, they and moggies thereof show up all the time in shelters. I was mainly thinking Coon from the ear tufts, didn't realize domestic longhairs had them, too.

Here in the UK they are! A Maine Coon kitten is normally at least $500 or so. I also have a pretty small apartment so I went for regular moggies. Now one of my less than six month old kittens is closing on 3kg in weight with a mane, floofy paws and and poofy tail, along with a tendency to trill an awful lot but never meow. I think I got a kitten with a lot of Maine Coon in her despite myself.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Sefal posted:

It's good to know its normal behavior.
I think i'm just gonna stop giving milk and put more bowls with water around the house. To get them to drink water.

Try getting a water fountain, they vastly prefer running water and they do not cost very much. I got one with a motion detector that only turns on if something moves then runs for a few minutes and it works pretty well. You also only need to refill a fountain once a week or so.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my kittens is if anything too cuddly, left to her own devices she will quite literally spend 12+ hours a day sitting on me. She sleeps on top of me or under the covers next to my feet every night, I sit down? In my lap or across my shoulders. I lean forwards? She jumps up onto my back then climbs to a shoulder.

It is super cute but she bites me (gently) if I try to move her off my lap to do anything.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

D1E posted:

If this is a problem for you just let me know and I'll adopt her.

Can you withstand her deliberations after she leaps atop the Door of Judgement though?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Artemis, my kitten who loves leaping atop doors and exploring High Places, has now developed to the point where she can get atop my fridge.

Unfortunately I have a fitted kitchen and have now discovered that my 8' high fridge/freezer combo has gaps around the top for ventilation purposes. Two days in a row now she has managed to get stuck inside the cabinets with no way out and earlier today I found myself having to unscrew a vent so that she could be released, after she was stuck in there for at least three hours. Her sister was hanging around nearby and seeming unhappy then I eventually heard her meowing piteously and scrabbling at the kickboard before seeing her nose pressing against the grill.

Right now I have cardboard over the holes she is apparently either falling into or leaping down but will need to look into a better solution long term.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I got this fountain for my cats and they do like it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XXYDFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gets gross slime on it if you do not take the thing apart and clean it every week or so but on the plus side it is motion sensitive and only turns on when it detects movement (if you choose that setting), this means that one of my cats will perch 'behind' it and wave her paw in front of the sensor for prolonged periods of time, also if it runs low on water it glows red which is neat.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Artemis has started to burrow under my duvet. This was her look earlier when I went to change the bedding and apparently disturbed her, she popped out to consider my sins.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I woke up this morning to find one cat burrowed under the duvet and nuzzled in the small of my back, the other atop the duvet and draped over my legs, both ninety percent asleep and completely chill.

But then the alarm went off and I had to hurry to get ready for work, they looked most betrayed.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Hera has discovered a foolproof way to ensure that even if I want to remain mostly asleep, I will wake up and thus deliver her cuddles in bed.

She licks my eyelids, I really cannot remain asleep while being subject to this.

Also cat tax:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Oh my cat has a secret brother!

This cat looks as if he has come to collect my soul.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

Neither of our cats are starving but if they ever hear a can make noise even if it's just being shuffled in a cabinet they come running to tell me all about how starved they are.

I free feed my kittens but if they are awake enough to realize that I am heading into the kitchen? They will follow me and let me know how very important it is that I open the food cupboard and provide them with more food. Even if they currently have uneaten food waiting for them, which they always do.

Should I prove particularly uncooperative there then the one of them will stretch up (to show how big and mighty she is?) then sink her murder claws into my kneecap as she purrs and curves up her floofy tail.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My cats have discovered/decided that bread is food, they mangled open the wrapper on a loaf of bread then, just to be helpful and considerate, seem to have taken a single bite out of each slice in the entire loaf.

It was a nice wholemeal loaf and I am in the UK, so no added sugar or anything, it is probably not bad for them, just empty carbs which they must have really liked given just how much of the bread they ate despite having dry food available.

Odd little creatures.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My cats are loving idiots with no sense of self preservation.

I moved from an apartment to a fairly decent sized house just over a month ago and they love the stairs, the cardboard boxes, the space, etc.

But they are still idiots. Yesterday I got back from home and opened the bedroom window because it was a lovely evening, so what did my floofy black cat do? Prowl out into the window sill to explore before being too clumsy to turn around or back up. It took less than 10 minutes from the window opening for her to fall out of it then be utterly indignant that she could not levitate fifteen feet vertically to get back inside.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Working from home today so I decided to leave a window open to let my cats roam, they were purely indoor kittens until a week or two ago but now keep walking me to the window or back door then crying for it to be open.

Unfortunately it is raining and they do not understand rain, the floofy black cat believes she has to come and squeak at me about how wet it is outside, rub herself dry on my legs, then go out to get soaked again, roughly every fifteen minutes.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats has a totally different personality when she is in the garden compared to indoors.

Indoors? She mostly squeaks at me, maybe permits a head rub, then tries to lead me to the room with the food dishes in the hope of wet food.

Outside? She excitedly trills and bounds toward me with her tail up before bunting mercilessly, then rolls onto her back/side and energetically demands petting. She gets outright excited to see me and is then super affectionate.

It is a huge contrast to indoors where she tends to leave after I pet her once or twice.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats is weird like that and it seems to be that she wants pets and wants attention. Just not in the room where I might be sitting.

She wants them on the lawn outside. I guess the lawn is more comfortable than the sofa or a chair to fop onto?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats tried to follow me to the shops yesterday.

Hera is a fifteen month old black medium furred cat who LOVES the outdoors, she basically only comes inside to demand food or to squeak at me and receive a head rub then try to lure me out into the garden. So of course when I opened the front door she was out in a blur before then rolling around on the driveway, then, after a tummy rub, she seemed curious at to where I was going.

I live on a pretty quiet road so she followed me for something like ten or twelve houses before a passing car spooked her, of course this took a while because she had to wander into each front garden and sniff things on the way. I am pretty sure that is the furthest she has ever been from home but every time I started walking again she would trot along in my wake with her fluffy tail in the air.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I moved in late February with a pair of ten month old kittens and the original plan was to keep them both in one room for a few days to let them adjust. The larger and fluffier of the two sisters was having none of that though and actively plotted to escape before then roaming and exploring her new home.

She did the same thing though where she would wander off then start crying upon finding she was alone. It did not take them terribly long to settle in though the braver of the two does continuously try to work out how to get out of doors or windows to go outside, I allowed her out a fair bit over the summer and she now obsessively stares out of windows and/or urgently mmmmppppbbls to tell me how important it is that she is allowed to leave.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My cats like sleeping on the bed with me but for whatever reason they almost never come up near my head, which is a shame because it does limit petting reach. They also seem to war over who gets to sleep on the bed so generally it is just one or the other, or perhaps they will sleep on opposite sides with me as a divider.

Artemis, the tiny tuxedo cat, sleeps directly atop my legs. If she is on rotation then not long after I settle down to sleep she will climb atop my legs and snuggle between them before sleeping like that until I move, at which point she will most likely curl up behind my knees and sleep next to me. Sometimes she burrows under the duvet and sleeps atop my ankles which is adorable and warm.

Hera, the bigger and vastly fluffier black cat, will sleep down by my feet until she decided she wants attention. Then she will strut up next to me and make loud noises before profligately stretching and demanding petting. If I give her pets, she will flop on her side next to me and snuggle up close whilst purring like a buzzsaw. If I refuse (say, I want to sleep) she will prowl around emitting increasingly frustrated noises before having some sort of angry snit fit where she violently claws at the sheets and duvet in a frenzy for a few moments before storming off. She will come back and repeat in exactly 25 minutes when I am almost returned to sleep.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That is absolutely cat puke and it is pretty normal, cats just puke sometimes. Only really worry about it if they start vomiting multiple times a day (even then they might just have a cold or something and be fine in a week or so), obviously if they stop pooing then you need to get to the vet ASAP though as they might have a blockage.

Sometimes they throw up on a mostly empty stomach and so do not produce all that much of the brown sludge though there will still be bile and stomach acids so it is a good idea to wipe down/clean whatever they puked onto.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat who has decided to be a complete rear end in a top hat?

She has started to wake me up at like 4:30 am EVERY MORNING by shouting at me, then when I ignore her she squeezes a paw under the duvet and viciously claws me until I am wide awake. I would kick her out of the bedroom but:

1) Then she would cry piteously outside of my door all night, and
2) Her chill sister sleeps curled up next to me every night and has since she was a kitten, I would feel awful kicking her out as well.

As far as I can tell the rear end in a top hat cat mostly wants cuddles? Which she is absolutely not getting by doing this but she seems happy to just repeat at half hour intervals and utterly ruin my sleep. Obviously if she does it again then I am just going to have to kick them both out anyway because cute as waking up to have cats curled atop me is, it is not worth being clawed and denied the ability to sleep.

Also both are about 20 months old.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I will definitely give those suggestions a try, it is definitely not food given that I do free feed my cats dry food - they get wet food twice a day but I deliberately made sure that the morning meal is after I get out of the shower not immediately after I wake up. I made that mistake when they were kittens and they of course kept trying to push morning wake up earlier and earlier.

I have confirmed it is cuddles she wants though. She came and started the exact same thing later this morning when I was reading in bed and melted into a purring snuggle floof against me, if she was willing to wait until I am actually awake it would be adorable but she seems to feel that she can set the schedule and I need more than five hours of sleep a night.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

Awww, purring snuggles are hard to use any kind of discipline on :3: If it's cuddles she wants, could you try putting her under the covers at your side while you go back to sleep? (I realize that this only works if you're a person who can get back to sleep, and not everyone can.)

Another random thought - if this happens at 5am-ish, could it be that she's cold and is coming to you for warmth (or just to tell you "I'm cold, please make me not cold")? I set my thermostat pretty low for nighttime as a lot of people do, and 5am is about when it hits the minimum. If so, a heated cat bed might be worth a try.

I tried just keeping the door shut and both cats outside last night and she responded by, at about the same time, starting to cry outside of the door and scratch at it for I am not sure how long, it was at least easier to ignore than having her literally clawing me.

I am pretty sure it is not the temperature though, the one who kicks up the fuss is the long haired cat whilst her short furred sister is generally chill. That said the short furred one was literally asleep against my bedroom door and seemed pretty indignant she had been denied her usual bed when I did wake up this morning.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats used to constantly get stuck in the cabinets of my fitted kitchen. Everything was flush and sealed with the exception of the hole around the top of the fridge/freezer to allow ventilation. This was something around seven feet up, but the one idiot kitten would leap there from one of the work surfaces then drop down.

Of course then she had a wonderful world of narrow spaces and complete darkness to explore but absolutely no way out. I came home three days in a row to find her sealed in there and screaming from behind the floor vent. I ended up having to remove that vent so that she could get out, but then she and her sister would both go in to explore. The fluffier one would emerge turned completely grey with dust then roam around my apartment.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Any recommendations for flea collars? My cats are literally crawling with fleas and the cheap collars I used do literally nothing. The best reviewed collar on Amazon claims it works via 'essential oils' and so I am absolutely not poisoning my cats with that thing.

In the meantime I am regularly grooming them with a flea comb but I cannot get a vet appointment for proper topical anti flea treatment due to lockdown. I would like for my house to not be full fleas, having fleas crawl out of my slippers to start biting my ankles sucks.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have already been using Frontline for two months and these fleas seem resistant to it given the lack of immediate flea die off compared to whatever was used by the vet last time. I am in the UK rather than the US and am not sure if I can get whatever it is that the vet used to successfully perform flea genocide online, though I can apparently get the oral medication that knox_harrington recommended and have ordered some.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So my black, furry, evil cat has adopted another family and apparently had no interest in returning home, happy enough to see me but went back to their house immediately when she was able to.

Meaning I am now seeking a kitten or two in order to keep her sister company and... Wow, apparently cats are in SUPER high demand right now. There are literally no kittens available in shelters and regular random moggies sell for at minimum £250 online. I am going to try to get maine coons or something because if I am going to have to pay out hundreds for a cat I might as well get cool giant cats.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

pidan posted:

I think it might be easier to find a kitten in summer, because that's when cats have lots of kittens. The people who sell kittens online might also be trying to market them as a Christmas gift right now and have a higher price for that reason.

In my experience, in spring cats were rare and pricy, and in summer the number of people advertising their accidental kittens shot up by a lot.

This sounds accurate but I ideally want a kitten or two in the next few weeks because Artemis is getting desperately lonely every time I leave the house and basically spends most of the time she cannot be sat directly atop of me crying. That... Kind of works right now given with Covid I am working from home, but even then she gets super distressed even when I go shopping for an hour. Unfortunately she is also a complete coward and I am fairly sure that if I were to bring in an adult cat she would just hide atop the wardrobe in terror 24/7.

Fortunately I can afford it but I suspect a lot of the 'price hike' is due to Covid and people finding that they now work from home and similar, dogs in particular have literally tripled in price compared to a year ago.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have reason to suspect that my cat Artemis might be the most awful coward in the entire world.

She is too frightened to eat because there is a 600 gram kitten meowing on the other side of a closed door. Admittedly loudly meowing, but that is because the kitten wants to come out and have friends. She literally ran upstairs and hid atop a wardrobe rather than face this terror.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The balls on tracks are amazing, I have one in the room where I am confining TinyKitten (name to be determined) during his acclimatization and I watched him chase the balls for literally half an hour of tail curling excitement.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So the adorable tiny kitten I posted a picture of earlier? He has the shits. He really has the shits and makes almost no effort to get to a litter tray when he needs to go. I have taken him to the vet and he is on antibiotics but whilst he is super friendly and affectionate he has also liquid shat himself in my lap three times today and is destroying my carpets, my bedding, my furniture. Pretty much everything.

I had no choice but to confine him to the bathroom with food/water/litter tray and blankets, but now he is crying and shouting without pause and it is breaking my heart. Goddamit.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You should get a second opinion because that is not normal and your cat sounds ill.

He is, currently on antibiotics so hopefully he will be on the mend and back to attacking his new big sister's tail in a few days. Right now my bathroom is a poo apocalypse zone though containing a very shouty little boy.

Unfortunately cuddling him leads to having to change clothes because he shits himself when relaxing. Washing machine is getting to work all day this holiday season.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 28, 2020

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So my tiny kitten still has diarrhea and I am awaiting back the response from the vets from the very expensive tests I had run, apart from that he is healthy and growing and active though. Today he decided to pop up over one of my computer monitors to say hi and it was loving adorable.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That honestly does not look too bad and will almost certainly heal up by itself with no sign it was ever there. Cleaning it with salt water would help with any possible infection but also be displeasing for your cat.

One of mine got a bunch of injuries like that least year by battling neighbourhood cats and whilst she was unhappy for a few days she turned out completely fine and the vet did not bother proscribing anything.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Inexplicable Cat Bread Lust is definitely a thing, take a look at this. Hera (also pictured below) ripped open a loaf of bread then basically took a single bite out of each slice, just to ensure I had to throw the entire thing away.

And the culprit

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I honestly have the opposite issue with my kitten being introduced to my adult cats. He is completely and utterly fearless and 100% refuses to ever stop trying to 'befriend' my adult cats regardless of how hostile they might be toward him or how much bigger they might be.

One of my cats has realized she can just punch him in the head and pin him if he gets too annoying, though that does not really cause him to stop trying to play with (jump upon and bite) her so eventually she tends to just leave if she is not in a mood to play. She will find somewhere too high for him to follow then glare at him. Other times she will actually play with or even snuggle with him if he is in a less rear end in a top hat kitten mood. My other cat though? She will growl and hiss and maybe swipe at him but because he has no fear she eventually backs off. It is bad enough that he will steal her breakfast or drive her out of rooms where she was snuggling with me just through being very sure he wants to follow her around and will not be scared off.

This is stressing her to the point where she is making GBS threads on the floor next to her litter tray to try to mark her territory. She is literally four times his size.

Edit: Cat tax, first of all the kitten and Artemis, the cat who tolerates him when he is calmer:

And a comparison of him and Hera, who apparently fears him and is successfully bullied by him?

Patrat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 31, 2021

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I imagine a lot depends on dog exposure to cats whilst a puppy also? My mother's cockapoo would never hurt a cat but does tend to freak them the gently caress out as she bounds forward making excited noises to be their friend. Most cats flee, some smack her on the nose and establish boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Little Stentor has decided that, when he wants to sleep? The best possible place is inside of whatever jacket or fleece I am wearing. He climbs into my lap then starts purring and climbing up my chest whilst trying to climb inside. Obviously I let him.