Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm a big dumb idiot who is allergic to cats and this is Milly

Negotiations are going well.

3.5 years old, adopted her from the local spca yesterday afternoon and she's super snuggly, seems to have an infinite tolerance for manhandling, belly rubs forever, playing with feet etc. I kept her in my room last night and other than a little prodding at bedtime, she let me sleep through the night.

I've never had a cat before and so far she's drinking, but as of this morning hadn't eaten or used the litter box but scratched at it a couple of times. (Not?) looking forward to what I find after work today. :iiam:

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ratzap posted:

Tortie girls are the best (I have a 17 year old one so I *may* be biased). Don't panic about the eating, it's not uncommon for freshly rehomed cats to take a few days to settle in and feel comfortable enough to eat. She may be slightly fussy, did the home give you any hints as to what she was used to being fed? If the bowls are still untouched, try her with some treats just to make sure she's not hurt her mouth or something (ie that she can actually eat). If the litter hasn't been used the same thing applies, cats new to a place can hold it in a fair while but she may also pick a spot somewhere else if it smells right or she doesn't like the litter. Keep an eye (and nose) out for errant toileting. Good luck.

24 hours since coming home she caved. Ate half/half old/new food, and used the box just fine. Half of the litter ended up on the floor but the important stuff stayed in. She feels at least half a pound lighter plus got in some good playtime finally afterwards. Litter everywhere is understandable with the basic small pan I got to start out and a bigger highwall will be going downstairs where there's more space. She's been very good so far not getting into cabinets or anything but I definitely need to get a tree as she's definitely a percher. For some reason she feels softer this morning too :3:

Not a fan of Virginia morning thunderstorms

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly had her first vet checkup last Friday, it went well and she was given a clean bill of health. Only issue was one eye a little puffy and some goopiness, but it didn't seem to be bothering her at the time. Yesterday evening I noticed her squinting in that same eye, minus the goop but back to the vet we go tomorrow. Probably nothing major.

Other than that she has adjusted well and already has run of the house, eating, drinking, and using litterbox just fine. Squeaks for attention every hour or so for petting sessions where she drools and farts like an idiot. Farts smell like roast death and from what I've read, she needs to be switched off the chicken based food I bought in a hurry on adoption day since it doesn't agree with some cats.

Picture of course required. I declare it nearly impossible to take good pictures of dark critters.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

As someone who finally adopted a cat I can say...

Get the cat.

packaging her bed came in

ok that's enough play time

that's better

:catstare:

fort stinkybutt was a hit

her usual spot

My couch and chair feel scratchy like sisal rope and so far it's been impossible to get her to stop clawing at them. I toss a toy to distract or pick her up and rub her paws on other things that are ok to scratch. She does use the cardboard things or legs of the tree most of the time. Going to try the sticky tape stuff next.

The tree was a huge hit and this giant thing is on sale for $100 right now. My boss even got one after having a cat forever, it was up in the tree sleeping within 30 minutes of putting it together.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1IM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Laser pointers: murder mode activates whenever i pick up the pointer as she's figured out the jingle it's chain makes. I've bumped it off the desk on accident and she comes running into the room looking for the dot and squeaking.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

little heads, BIG EARS. :kimchi:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Papes posted:

I just recently purchased one and put it together last night. I feel like I got way more tree for the money than what I've seen at petstores.

:same: I even got a $150 on sale for 100 and it's better than anything at the local pets shops under 300.

Though one local shops have these 6 foot tall things, tubular with crawlspaces inside and carpet colors and wrinkles that make them look like actual tree trunks. They're pretty cool looking but $400.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Catblog:

Had the fluff for about a month now and she adjusted quickly. Eating and using the litter box within 24 hours, let her out of solitary when I was at work by day 3. She completely ignored greenies until just recently. She also just recently had a bout of 2-3 vomits so no more greenies for her. Tuna flakes though, those are her poo poo.

The vomits just looked like normal food, mostly liquid at that point with very few kibble chunks no weird colors or anything. She eats about 1/3 of a cup of EVO dry a day for about two weeks now (switched from hill's grain free at the shelter, then taste of the wild chicken which gave her incredible death farts). Has slightly runny poops but they've gotten better since the switch to evo. Notes from previous owners said she got runs from grain food, not that I would give her that anyways. She normally ignores me when I'm cooking but the other day I opened a can and she was instantly at my feet so that's pushed me to get at least some wet food in her diet.

Other than those tiny issues she's been great. Straight up lapcat when I'm home, friendly with visitors, but leaves me alone when I'm sleeping with the door open. Comes to the door and whines for attention when I get home and its so drat adorable. Chases dingle balls and rattle mice like a maniac, I've even seen one randomly flying through the air across the room a couple of times.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cats are a non-newtonian fluid. Everything looks normal.

edit: Oh i see the kinda big chin now. Didn't realize it was a help me post. Mea culpa.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 5, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The other day I dreamt that I woke up to a house torn about and crapped everywhere by the cat.

When I actually woke up, her favorite wand toy was on my bed but at least everything else was where it should be. The wand and most of her toys tend to stay downstairs. :catstare: I play with her plenty, but at least when she's tearing around the house at night it doesn't wake me up.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

All is forgiven :kimchi:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Travis343 posted:

We had this guy in our home for maybe 3 days and we're sobbing like he's going to his death. I don't understand why I am like this.

You're a good person. He'll be ok and will claim someone who can afford his care.

To cheer you up, have my recently adopted 3 y 2 month old shelter cat chasing Da Bee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7L8p8k2IWo

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been happy with world's best litter. It's corn based and just smells like....corn. Clumps well and is flushable.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Checked the mail today and as I was closing the door I looked down and saw that my cat somehow got past me and outside. I heard a meow behind me and there was my cat also. This wasn't right so upon further investigation hello neighborhood tortie. She was super friendly but also hungry and killed off a handful of food in seconds. I let the two stare at each other through the storm door until she pounced and hissed at mine so I declared enough and went back inside. The neighbors say she's been around for a while and don't know if she belongs to anyone.

Invader

Judging from her grey face fuzz my guess is she's around 10.

Here's my idiot

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I used to be super allergic but hadn't been around cats in several years so I went to the local shelter and cuddled she poo poo out of every cat that would let me. It all had no negative effect so I took home the cuddliest one. Has she tested the allergy lately or is it something a regular daily over the counter pill can alleviate? Your shelter might even have some of the less allergic breeds in a mix.

I did notice after a while I would get slightly itchy eyes but that was just a signal I needed to vacuum a little more often.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ratzap posted:

Don't leave her out too long, ring your local rescue. They can help making posters to see if she's missing locally and they'll trap/collect her if they have pens space. From the pictures she's in decent nick but with the year drawing on that can change fast. Age is impossible really without checking her teeth or an x-ray, the grey fur could just be markings (she's a brindle tortie like one of mine, my girl has patches of fur with the same grey ends). Rescues get a lot of "can you help with a cat that's hanging around? yeah it's been in the gardens for 6/12/18 months..." and tend to think - jesus, why make the cat sit outside so long, just pick up the phone.
Don't bother with the RSPCA (you're in the UK right?), they're bloody useless (they tell people 'if you fed it, it's now your cat. Goodbye'). Look for cat rescues on google or one may have posters in a newsagent window. Cats protection like a lot of big charities can be very variable. Some groups are ok, some are just twats looking to tick off 'work for charity'.

Strays will often try to muscle into a new home because hey, outside is cold and wet. Also if she's not been spayed and is a stray, you'll soon have a garden full of hissy spitty kittens.

I'm in the US, and fortunately we have an amazing local SPCA where they chip and fix everything that comes through. Carrier and stuff are already down near the door and if I see her again hopefully I won't lose too many arms in the capture. Haven't seen her again since the first time. Should I call and ask them about her first, or just grab and deliver?

Tortie tax:

I need to play with this goober more. This morning I woke up and all of her toy mice and balls were on or in my bed. Admittedly it was fun throwing them out the door to bounce and roll down the stairs. She would tear rear end chasing one, pounce, wait a minute then be back on the bed waiting for the next.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It is amazing how much my cat drinks with the fountain around. I can scoop out baseball-softball sized clumps 2-3 times a day.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I caught some of that right in the face one time. Couldn't track down this horrible smell but thankfully it was on my glasses and not myself. Since then I make sure not to be in the line of fire during HEAVY PETTING sessions.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is neosporin (triple antibiotic) safe for cats? Just like ever other piece of information on the INTERNET, there's plenty of conflicting opinions.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check out Orijen. I switched to it and it seems to have quelled my idiot's death farts and runny poops from other grain free foods. Using the 6 fish variety. It's dry, but if you have a fountain and your cat drinks a lot, no biggie. It's also $30 for 5lbs :gonk: The non fish version is much cheaper, but chicken gives Milly way worse gas than fish.

Co-pilot tax

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Try "World's Best". Its way less dusty than the standard clay litters and made with corn. My idiot still tracks it around but it doesn't escape the litterbox room at least. I do see orange pawprints once in a while on my dark bedsheets but no big deal. It clumps great, doesn't smell bad and is flushable.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

kaworu posted:

But Jackie, on the other hand, has this fur that is just so satin-smooth and soft that there is like no texture at all! Her fur just feels totally bizarre, and everyone comments on it. It's really actually tough to describe. Incredibly smooth and without the subtle "texture" you get from most cat-fur is the best way I can put it. I just don't know *why* she has always has fur like that. She grooms an insane amount (daily, without fail, which is tons more than Sardine) so it could just be that. Can't see how it could be her diet as that has changes while her fur hasn't. Could also just be the way she is? Like I've said, she has a noticeably thick and soft waterproof undercoat - you can barely see a millimeter of Jackie's actual skin no matter how hard you try - ANYWHERE. Even on her brow or near her ear where with black cats you can see their skin, Jackie's still got the smooth undercoat there. It is impressive!

That sounds kinda like Milly, though her hair is a little longer. She looks a little scruffy but her fur is SO SOFT it doesn't make any sense. She does have cat pattern baldness above her eyes though. I think we need some more pictures to rate her fuzziness.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Lotta work to do there :haw:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Do we have toxoplamosis because we have cats or do we get cats because we have toxoplasmosis.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That is some glorious fluff. Is it as soft as it looks?

It might be worth one trip to a groomer for a first cleanup and I'd assume they can give you long term fur care instructions.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned a slicker brush for getting mats out gently.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cythereal posted:

Go to a shelter, tell the staff you're looking for a chill, lazy cat and anything else that may be of concern to you - are you looking for a cat that will be happy by itself, are you looking for a pair, etc.

This is what I did in addition to several trips to the shelter just playing with every cat there who would give me the time of day. Ended up taking this thing home 3 months ago and she's been great. 3 years, 2 months old.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Squashy Nipples posted:

My cat likes her butt being touched. Sometimes, when I'm laying in bed, she wont' even face me, she just sticks her butt towards me, so that's all I can pet.

I play hand drums on my cat while she squirms around on the floor but if i'm laying down she's right up there with butt in my face. I think it has something to do with preferring to face the doorway or window.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It was probably a bit rough to lock up the current cat and give new guy run of the house. Usually I see it happening the other way around. I can see that really freaking out old cat since what they're used to has changed AND there's a new cat around they don't know.

It's going to take time, maybe a lot. A week is just not very long.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you have the means to change your locks, I highly recommend these things. Combination deadbolts with programmable codes.

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE365VCAM619-Camelot-Keypad-Deadbolt/dp/B000NJJ1MQ

If you need to let someone in temporarily you can set a code for them and wipe it when they're done. I also took the key locks out of the knobs so its impossible to lock myself out of the house.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

First rule of Milly: always be comfy.

Yes I did wake you up just to take a picture.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Going to change foods for the idiot again. Anything with chicken in it gave her horrible death farts, fish based food settled that down but even after 3 months her poops stayed pretty wet. A couple weeks ago I found the covered litterbox sprayed all over the inside with quite a mess, I cleaned it up and did an early replacement of the litter and brushed it off as a one time thing. Coming home Satudray and today I was greeted with a pile of runny poo right in front of the litter box. I scoop it 2-3 times a day and had a feeling there would be a problem today since there was nothing in it this morning. If things continue...vet visit time.

So now I got another, bigger covered box (she already used it yay) to compliment the smaller covered one and got a new food to try. Started on taste of the wild chicken, then orijen fish which she seemed to like and now we'll see how natural balance rabbit does. I don't mind not using orijen, that stuff is hecka expensive.

She's never liked treats so this pet store trip's gift was a door mouse and man she loves that thing.

Madame poopybutt:

Bonus: spca kittens at the pet store

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check if "World's Best" litter is in your price range. There's a slight dustiness to it, but pretty minimal compared to clay stuff.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is there something wrong with what they were being fed before?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for a hand held vaccuum for cat litter? Baldur likes to kick it all over the place because it sounds funny.

I have one of these. It is great. Got them for the rest of my family for christmas gifts and still get comments about them once in a while. No battery memory and lasts quite a long time.

Edit: link might be useful https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-CHV1410L-Cordless-Lithium/dp/B006LXOJC0

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Since the landlord has nothing better to do other than spy on your house all day see if they'll take $100 to take care of the cat.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

*Pet me* *You are not petting me* *There's a cat outside 3 blocks away* *There's a bird I want to kill it* *I've killed a toy I am a good hunter* *I just killed every toy in the house now pet me* *Do something with this screen so I can sit in your lap* *Brush me* *Why have you woken me* *I pooped*

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use world's best unscented litter. It's flushable but I use a litter genie instead since I feel like flushing that much is wasteful. It is corn based and that's a lot better on the environment than clay mining, pretty low dust too. I only have to empty the litter genie every week and a half or so and the bag refills are cheap. No problems with smells or anything, highly recommended.

I have two boxes right next to each other. The original starter small covered box with a door which was ok but I had to scoop 3 times a day otherwise the cat would poo on the litter mat and one about double the size, enclosed, but with the door taken off. With the door on, she's more likely to use the small box since I assume it keeps more smells in. Milly primarily uses the big box unless its been a busy day and I missed a scooping, then she'll use the smaller one as a backup. If she suddenly stops using the big one, it'll be time for a cleaning (hasn't happened yet). I had to fresh clean the small one almost weekly but that was more due to runny poos and splatter while trying to nail down a food that agreeed with her. Since the last food change 1.5 months ago there have been no problems and the small one rarely gets touched.

My boss has the most enormous litter tray I've ever seen. It's size of a kids sandbox, holds more than 40lbs of litter and he scoops it maybe once or twice a week.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Hey guys, my vet is recommending revolution to us for our kitties as a monthly treatment, what does everyone here do? They are indoor cats and we don't have any plans to let them outside.

I used revolution for several months since bringing mine home from the shelter just as a precaution but don't feel like I need it long term since my cat is indoor only and doesn't seem at all interested in going outside when the doors are open.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hyperlynx posted:

No cat-kebab necessary.

Please don't skewer your cats :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It is not your fault. You are a good person for taking kitty in and giving it the most comfortable, happy and loved life you could.