Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Hi, I was looking for a little bit of help and suggestions with a new cat.

We have 3 cats, and recently adopted a 4th, all females. We've had her for just shy of three weeks now.

The new cat is a wonderful, loving, playful, and chatty sweetheart - to us. However, she's terrible towards the other cats. We did the usual first steps of getting a new cat: separate room, slow introductions, let them sniff, etc. However, her behaviour is so bad towards the others that she's spent the last few weeks locked in the basement alone, where we then go down to visit and play with her. She constantly stalks and hunts them, will corner them and hiss at them, and if they make the mistake of running, she will chase, corner, and pummel them (Our 5 year old just got beat up a little while ago, and pissed everwhere when it happened. No claws, no injuries, just a thorough slapping). She'll deliberately circle round them so they have to move to keep an eye on her, and then chase when they move. She is bigger than all of the others, and will win any fight that she gets into.

Even when separated, she obsesses over the other cats. She'll stand fixed at the door, reach under the door, scream and howl if another cat comes by. Her entire life, except when we play with her, is dedicated towards wanting to chase the other cats.

We try to do supervised visits, we let her wander around the house and interact. The other cats hide in corners and hiss and growl if she gets near, she'll yell, and one of us has to step in as it looks like she's going to pounce. We tried getting calming spray, but it didnt do anything to help. We also just took her to the vet to make sure she isn't having health issues thats causing her to lash out, and she got a clean bill of health.

Does anyone have any advice other than just continuing to keep her separate? Is this just going to be something that takes ages to settle, and we're fooling ourselves by expecting instant results? Is it possible that I got a "dud" of a calming spray and should try another brand?

Also, an idea popped into my head of putting a harness on her (the type you'd clip a leash to to take them outside) just to physically restrict her from successfully chasing, or at least slow her down so I have time to stop her. Is that a bad plan?

Based on personal experience, it might at least partially be that they are all female. I had two female cats and then my parents and I inherited my sister's two cats (also both female) and her dog when she got married because her husband has pet allergies. It was weeks of slowly integrating them. They eventually sorted out who was where in the pecking order and what rooms were who's territory. There were still occasional hissing and chasing and swatting, but that was it. My vet said that when you get up into three or four cats, you start needing gender balance for better harmony, so that might be part of the issue. Go slowly, keep at it, and yes, it will take awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh, I'd never heard of all-females being a problem. She's gotten a bit better with one of the cats, but still aches to do violence against the other two. Thanks for the encouragement, the other cats have been such a breeze that I think we got spoiled by them.

Imagine having two pairs of nice, generally well-behaved cats. Then, introduce them to each other. Now, imagine four drama queens (cat)fighting it out on Jerry Springer. Yeah, it was ....rough for a while.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

spinst posted:

I'm worried about my cat!

I took Betty to the vet on Tuesday. They sedated her (she is quite a jerk at the vet), gave her a haircut, and gave her two vaccines: rabies and FVRCP.

She was zonked out Tuesday/Wednesday. Thursday morning she seemed relatively normal. A little limp on the back leg where I assume the rabies shot was given.

Thursday I came home from work and she is really limping, favoring one of her front legs. I assume she may have jumped off of something and tweaked it? She is able to put some weight on it as far as I can tell. I'm off of work today and she is literally only sleeping, with occasional (like 3) breaks to limp to the bowl and eat a little (maybe 25% of normal intake) or go to the litter box. She's moving extremely slowly and just looks sad. Still purring when I scritch her in the right spots, though.

Is it possible she is still feeling side effects from the vaccines, three days later? I just feel like it's weird she seemed okay Thursday morning and is now sleeping 24/7.

Cat Tax:

How old is she? Had something similar with one my cats (19 at the time) that turned out to be an arthritic infection--she went from walking normally in the morning and by the evening she was severely limping and the next day she would barely move. As a heads up, if this is what it is, it's going to require surgery (and likely an x-ray to diagnose) and you need to get her looked at ASAP.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

spinst posted:

She just turned 7. I'll keep that in mind - if she's not looking a better by when the vet reopens on Tuesday I will be taking her in for sure.

Might be a little young for an arthritic infection, but if she stops eating/drinking entirely before Tuesday, see where your nearest animal ER is.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Crush it up and dissolve it in water, put it in an eyedropper, squirt in mouth. That's the only fail proof method I've found.

Or just see if you can get liquid instead of pills in the first place.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

SoggyBobcat posted:

We already spent $2000 on his first stay.

When I phoned the vet this morning, they said there's a tablet we can give him that will stimulate his appetite. It's yet another thing we have to shove down his throat, but if it doesn't work...

I've gotten an appetite stimulant as a topical that gets applied to the ears. Ask if that's an option, since it would avoid the pill issue.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Buys my cat a scratching post, still doesn't use it.

Buys her a bed, used it once; prefers one of my sweaters, my hanten, or the back of my closet shelf.

I unfold my mahjong table: Cat immediately jumps on it and scratches.

I unfold my yoga mat: Cats new favourite spot.

:allears:

Congratulations, cat.exe is working as intended.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Hi cat thread, I posted this in the vet thread, but I thought I might as well ask here too. My 6 year old kitty Noodle and I had a very stressful Christmas. He was vomiting and refusing to eat for days, but they didn't find anything at the regular vet. It got to where he couldn't even hold down water at all, so I had to take him to the ER the day before Christmas Eve. They couldn't see any foreign objects on the x-rays or sonogram, but his stomach was inflamed and the barium they gave him got stuck in his colon, so they decided to do exploratory surgery at 2 AM on Christmas morning. They didn't find any objects, just a lot of very hard poop and a lot of hair which they removed. He is now home and doing fine, and finally eating a little bit again. I have to give him a bunch of medication multiple times a day which he absolutely hates, but he's also happy and relieved to finally be home after three days in the scary hospital.

The vet didn't say anything about how to prevent this from happening again. Should put him on a higher fiber diet? He eats dry food during the day and splits a can of wet food with his brother every night, but maybe he needs more wet food? He does like to drink water and is always stealing sips out of my cups, so I'm not sure why he was jam-packed with rock hard poop. Maybe he only became constipated because he couldn't drink for a few days, and something else caused the problem? This whole fiasco cost me $5,600 in total.

Cat tax: Noodle is the orange one. The other kitty's name is Boppo. :kimchi:

Like, the general response to constipation is fiber/ miralax, from what I've seen. My two get 1/8 tsp miralax and 1/4 tsp canned pumpkin pie filling mixed in with their wet food, which they get twice a day. Might also want to put some extra water around the wet food when you serve it.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, thread. I've got a cat that needs pills once a day for the next month and if I grind them up in her food, she won't eat the food. There was some discussion a while back about pill injectors, but I can't find it now. Any one want to share some recs for good, less expensive ones?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Searching for "cat pill injector" on Amazon gives a ton of results, all very inexpensive. Not sure why you're having trouble finding one...?

I still stand by my personal method of grinding up the pill, dissolving it in water, and squirting it into the cats' mouth with a syringe. That's the only way I've been able to pill some of my cats who are VERY adverse to pilling. (Check with your vet first that that's ok to do with this specific medication.)

Also, very relevant and timely video from the Kitten Lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpjkihVQbs

The thread discussion was what I could not find. I wanted to know if there were any brands that were better than others that goons would recommend. :):

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks, exactly what I wanted!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

I seriously question the necessity of tracking a cat's water intake, especially if most of their diet comes from wet food (and a high wet food diet will really diminish the value of any data that's collected). But I'm no doctor so so maybe they find that information valuable.

It depends? Like, I've got two 19yo cats; one of them has bad depth perception, which means she can't always see the water in her bowl. Despite getting extra water w/ her twice a day wet food, she needed three ER trips recently for things that my vet ultimately traced to dehydration. (Dehydration > depression > not eating > other health issues) So now she gets fluid therapy once a day and is back to her normal self. Yeah, don't sleep on it if you're cat's water bowl volume never really changes.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Shroomie posted:

I went through a bunch of off the shelf ones until someone here told me to try Cherestin and it absolutely destroyed the fleas in like a week… and it lasted about two years but now I’ve got Cherestin resistant fleas so I’ve switched to Revolution Plus that I need a vet RX for.

Also, do not buy any medications from Amazon. There are counterfeits and too many reviews saying “this killed my cat”. Just buy it at Petco or Chewy or whatever.

Depends entirely where you live. My yard is riddled with them because I love in a swamp, so I’m constantly battling them in the summer even though the cats don’t go outside.

Anyway, we had to rush my cat to the emergency vet on Tuesday. I wasn’t home but my girlfriend said he started howling and then collapsed. All they could find wrong with him was that he was dehydrated and constipated. We brought him home and kept him isolated to keep track of his eating and pooping. After two days he still wasn’t eating or pooping at a normal level so we took him back, and they’ve decided that he’s just depressed? He’s at the vet now and they have given him fluids and an appetite enhancer (did they just get him stoned? Lol)

Has anyone dealt with anything like this? He’s got everything a cat could want. Even a kitten he zooms around with. He gets tons of attention even though his whiny older brother likes to hog the spotlight.

I tried some cbd treats a while back but none of them would touch them.

*raises hand* Yes, this sounds familiar. Back at the end of last year, one of my nineteen year old cats started having issues with her depth perception, which meant she couldn't always see the water in her bowl. She gets extra water in with her wet food twice a day so I wasn't worried about dehydration at the time and my vet gave me some suggestions to help her see/smell her water and things were fine for a while.

Then in February, was a series of three ER trips over the course of the month; not eating all three times and the second was severely constipated. All three times she got fluids and bounced back. My vet eventually came to the conclusion that this was all from dehydration. Cat gets dehydrated, cat gets depressed, cat stops eating, and cat develops other problems. So the solution she gave to me was fluid therapy; basically, you get a bag of fluids and learn to give them to your cat yourself once a day. Yes, this involves needles and no, your cat will very likely not be happy about it.

But there is no question that it has helped her get back to acting like herself and eating like a pig, and best of all, no more expensive ER visits. So you also might want to start paying attention to your cat's water intake to see if it's a dehydration related issue.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

kaom posted:

I posted a few weeks ago about how one of our two 9mo. kittens will only lick her food. We’ve been to a vet since then - two have seen her, actually, both at a specialized cat clinic. Her health and dental health seem A-OK. And she’s fine chewing dry food, there’s no sign of pain.

My best guess is that she doesn’t understand how to get food into her mouth except by licking it. Even treats! She has a hard time getting them out of my hand. Sometimes they fall right out of her mouth before she can bite down on them and she’ll chase it around the floor and give up if she can’t get it back in. :sigh: She’s very gentle, noticeably so compared to her sister.

How do you teach a cat to bite? The licking makes her so slow. I feel like sometimes when she stops eating wet food I’ve put out she isn’t even full, she’s just tired of trying to get it into her mouth… With something chunky like Tiki Cat she literally just licks the moisture off and then stops.

Bonus vet anecdote and proof of healthy kitten criminal activity:

:3: “What do you have for scratching posts?”
:) Two cat trees with sisal posts, a condo with sisal siding, a horizontal cardboard scratcher, a jute rug…
:3: “And what do they use?”
:( The carpet on the stairs.

This all isn’t an emergency, obviously. As you can see she isn’t starving, she’s eating. I just want her to have an easier time of it.

One of our old cats, Mimi (RIP, sweetheart), did the 'lick the gravy and leave the chunks' thing. Switching her to a pate helped solve the problem.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

kaom posted:

Well wishes to everyone’s cats. :love:

Today marks the first time one of my feral-born cats actually climbed onto and settled on my lap (lol this lasted about 30 seconds before her sister became a distraction). They’ve been willing to walk over us for about three weeks, and willing to curl up next to me on the couch since a week ago. There’s still lots to work on but we’ve only had them for three months, I’m proud of them adjusting so quickly to life as house cats.

Got a couple updates on questions I’ve asked:

We wanted to try this but my partner picked up the clumping walnut instead of the non-clumping. Clumping walnut review: does nothing for smell, is dark brown so it masks whether you’re looking at clumped pee or watery poop, but is actually very good for mess. Experiment with the non-clumping pellet version to come.

Attempted, she licks the top and gets all the moisture out then gives up when the remaining food is “dry.” We tried changing the dish - shallow metal flat bottom, deep ceramic with high sides, a flat human plate. We tried warming up the food in the microwave (on a low low setting). For about two days both cats were excited about the flat plate + warm food combo, then they went right back to “nah.” :sigh: They eat their dry food pretty enthusiastically and they both use the kitty fountain, but I’d like to have wet food as a regular part of their diet. Licky girl still has trouble with the dry food, dropping it on the floor and stuff, and it takes her forever to eat. Her favourite way to eat anything is directly out of our hands, which is cute but very messy because her licking chases it around everywhere. Guess we’ll just keep trying different options.

I've said this a little while ago in this thread, but have you tried a pate or stew? I had good results with the former for getting a cat to eat all of her wet food. Like, if you're giving her chicken chunks, try a chicken pate. But as long as they are eating the dry, there's always "cat gonna cat".

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Seeing all this is just making me appreciate the fact that my two remaining girls (who are both gonna be 21 this summer), despite all their (varying) health issues, are still hanging in there. :unsmith:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

kaom posted:

Our cats are indoors and chipped. I’ve been debating trying to get them used to collars, is it likely that would increase the odds of matting for long haired cats?

P.S. Melomane Mallet I’m not trying to ignore your question about “have you tried pates” btw my partner has just wanted to try sticking to a routine with the same food for a bit to rule out other factors. This is still on my radar! I hoped to have an update but not yet.

Not a problem! :):

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

So recently, between mid-September and mid-October, I had to say goodbye to both of my 21+ kitties. However! One week ago today, I got a new cat! She is the first cat I have had still has all her claws and I want to know if anyone here can share any tips/tricks to getting her to scratch on approved posts/material and not on the furniture? Thanks!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

My old lady cat is roughly 20 and dealing with some separation anxiety. This isn't something I've ever had to manage before so if y'all have tips that would be cool.

The real reason I came here today though was to ask what the current best enzymatic cleaner is for both carpets and fabric that goes in the washer. I know that Nature's Miracle is not supposed to be as good anymore.

Simple Solution was what my vet recommended to me when I brought up the issue with Nature's Miracle. I know you can get it at PetCo, at least.

And as aside, I would like to thank everyone here for there suggestions of treats/double sided tape to help curb scratching on furniture. Ryne is very good about using her cardboard scrathers now, but I do now have the question of at what point to I swap out one of these scrathers for a new one? Is there a time frame, condition of the scrather, etc.?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no real great solution to transporting cats, but I worry too much about the unknowns to ever attempt to fly them. Just make sure you get an oversized carrier - I got a soft car seat kennel, and that was a much better option than shoving them in a tiny carrier.

As long as the cat isn't too big, you can get a carry-on size carrier that can fit under the seat in front of you. I had to take one of my now deceased cats down to Florida with me last July and that's what I did. She was pretty chill about the whole thing.

Edit: you do have to pay a fee for the cat, and some airlines need medical info ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

I've had multiple cats live past 20 yo on cheap grocery store food. The filler is non-digestible cellulose, so they eat more and poop more, but they get the same nutrition in the end.

Gonna second-ish this; before my two previous kitties went on prescription food due to kidney disease, they ate Hills tuna+carrot for 11+ year olds for wet and iams 1+ indoor weight and hairball control for dry. They both passed at 21 plus. So probably depends on your cats (because cats gonna cat).