Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Hey cat faq thread, I need some advice on breaking my little terror of a couple of bad habits.

I recently (like a week ago recently) got a cat from a lady could no longer keep him. He's a cuddly sweetheart most of the time but he's still quite young (2 and a bit) and full of energy and unfortunately he's definitely been allowed/encouraged to play with hands and feet. I read the OP but it seems more aimed at preventing kittens from picking up the habit in the first place - any advice for letting him know that this is now off limits? I do my best to tire him out with toys when I get home from work, and for the most part he's starting to understand that redirecting onto any part of my body = playtime is over for a while. I expect it will be a slow process and that's fine - he is still settling in here as well.

The super annoying thing though, is that sometimes he'll try to play with me when we're chilling in bed by biting and pawing at my hands. He's got very good bite inhibition so it's not painful but I'd really rather he didn't - I've had the rule with my past cats that bed = chill place, no playing, but that was raising them from kittens. What would you guys suggest is the best thing to do to teach him that this doesn't have the desired result? My first instinct was to just get out of bed when he tries it so that he gets that playing in bed = end of bed hangout time, but I don't want to inadvertently teach him that biting me, however gently, is a good way to get me out of bed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I posted a while back about my buddy Macready, who is bitey. He is still bitey, but I've realised it's just because he is literally the highest energy cat I've ever had. All he wants to do when I'm in the house is play play play - he's kitten brained in a 5kg cat body. Not fat either, he's perfect body condition, just big. I don't mind spending time playing with him but we're talking a solid 6 hours a day of cat entertaining or he starts bouncing off the walls and stalking me - and 5kg of solid cat body slamming my shoulder out of nowhere hurts even when he doesn't decide to go claws out.

He has a ridiculous amount of toys and I've just put up a massive wall mounted cat tree to expand my admittedly pretty small flat, but part of the problem is he just doesn't like to play alone - he's only interested in toys if I'm holding/poking them. I think part of it is that he gets bored and lonely while I'm at work, so I'm much more interesting than anything else in the house. Ideally I'd get another cat but it's not feasible in my current living situation.

The good thing about him is that he's remarkably chill about new situations and places - he gave less than no fucks about the vet both times even though they stuck multiple needles in him. He likes to explore and sniff all the things so I feel like he'd be a good candidate for walking on a leash, and it might help him relieve some of his literally endless energy. I've never leashed a cat before though, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice? Harnesses, learning resources etc.?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Sounds like he needs a buddy to work off his energy with. :getin:

Yeah, I know. It would be the best solution. But my flat is really small (which doesn't help the situation) and the only room that closes properly is the living room, which is cat palace. So if I got another cat I'd either have to keep Macready locked in the living room for a while and have him go crazy town, or lock the other cat in and have Macready bouncing around my bedroom all night. And if they ultimately didn't get on it would be carnage because there's nowhere they can really go to hide from each other.

I dunno. I really would like to get him a friend but I just don't know that I can. Either way, I really do want to try taking him out on a leash! I think he'd enjoy it regardless.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

duckfarts posted:

not related to your request, but handle the gently caress out of your cat now to get him used to it so you can clip his nails later or you'll be sorry.

for walking, better to get a flat strap leash than a round cord (cheap) one, even better if you can get a vest/thundershirt looking one. make sure you're up to date on shots(notably FELV and rabies, maaaaaaaaaaybe FIV), and you may need to advantage up if you have fleas in your area (flea collars are poo poo).

Hah, yeah clipping his nails right now would be difficult. It's not that he's hard to handle - he's actually pretty sweet and malleable when he's not in kill-murder mode and doesn't mind being messed with, but he interprets any foot touching as play time and starts rolling around and trying to wrestle fight my hands. He's a super sweetheart who loves attention and just wants to be around me all the time, but his old owner did a lovely job of teaching him boundaries and he's about 2 years old now so it's going to take a while and probably a few bitemarks for him to get the message.

Also don't worry, he's vaccinated, neutered, gets deflea'd monthly etc. Thanks for the advice about vests and leashes!

Organza Quiz posted:

This is a good idea! I have a cat who doesn't really play with toys and before I was in a position to get her a friend to play with I would take her out for about half an hour a day (probably could have gotten away with every second day but it was easier for me to set a routine for myself). I used one of these vests but I suspect that the cat might have been able to wiggle out of it if she tried hard enough, so be warned. She just liked it a lot more than the strappy type harnesses you see around. There isn't really any kind of learning required to do it, you can't really train a cat to walk on a leash like a dog does (or maybe you can but I can't see the point). I just let Pepper explore around the front and back yards of the house and she'd basically do a circuit of the place sniffing everything and then be happy to trot back inside for dinner. Get into the habit of feeding the cat after you come back inside again to stop him from being grumpy about having to go back in.

Thanks for the recommendation and the advice, especially about feeding him when we get back in. How long did it take Pepper to get used to the harness when you first started? MacReady is a chill baby about being picked up etc. but I don't know how he'll feel about having something attached to him.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ridgewell posted:

Two things I will need to work on with him are:
(1) Play: He appears to preferably play (i.e. scratch and bite) with my hands and my legs. He did not show much interest (if any at all) in the toys I got him.
(2) Scratching: He has not yet realized that the big scratching post and cave (which he uses as a retreat and sitting spot) is the place to scratch. He hasn't destroyed anything yet, but sunk his claws into my couch and two doorposts. Except denying him these opportunities with wrap/foil, is there a good way to show him how great the scratching post is?

1) He's still settling in, so he might become more interested in toys once he feels more comfortable in your hourse, or he may turn out to just not be that into playing by himself. It's always a good idea to set aside a fixed time each day for playing with your cat anyway, so use wand or fishing rod toys that focus him away from your body. Other fun games that don't involve getting savaged: moving a stick around under a blanket, getting him a tunnel or a box with holes cut in to play hide and seek. Play in ways that mimic prey behaviour - move the lure around close to floor, hide it behind things, once he's caught it a few times start acting like it's 'injured'. Cats will often test for deadness by walking away from a toy and flopping down nearby. This doesn't necessarily mean the game is over - they'll often return a moment later to pounce and finish the job.

Give him new cardboard boxes, paper bags with the handles cut off, treats balled up in paper etc. on a regular basis. If he tries to start play by attacking hands/feet, ignore him if you can, or leave the room for a few minutes if you don't have the fortitude to pretend a cat isn't savaging your feet. My little monster is super needy and hyper but even he learnt fast that going for my hands and feet gets him nowhere - he still tries about once a week but he puts his claws away these days and is far more likely to beg for play by rolling around and being cute. Be consistent and don't clap, shout or chase him as he might misunderstand your intentions and think you're joining in.

2) Accept that your furniture will get scratched. It's a good idea to foil anything you don't want scratched up regardless, but you can try catnip sprays or rubbing dried catnip onto thing you want him to scratch. If you catch him scratching the post, give him lots of praise and a treat so he associates it with good things (fair warning - some cats don't really understand praise, but all cats understand treats!)

Seconding the advice to watch Jackson Galaxy if you're not super up on cat behaviour as he's pretty on point.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Croisquessein posted:

Two of our cats barricaded themselves in the bathroom recently. We usually keep the door closed but they got in and somebody closed it afterwards. Then one of them pulled open a sliding drawer near the door which blocked it completely. The roommates had to spend twenty minutes with a coat hanger under the door to get the drawer to close. Cats were patiently hanging out in the bathtub when they finally got the door open.

cats :allears:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

My 5 year old daughter can be too much excitement for my cat, who spends much of the evenings hiding under our bed until the kid goes to sleep. I got her a wall-mounted cat shelf that she can jump to from her cat tree, which is high enough that the kid can't bother her. I'm hoping she'll grow to use that instead of hiding so much. But the cat barely ever goes up there. I put some food she likes up there are it's usually gone in the morning, but I never see her just chilling there. I'm hoping once she realizes she's safe there she'll take to it.. but her reflex is to hide in covered areas instead of taking to high spots. Any ideas? Unfortunately she doesn't really react to catnip. (I even tried silver vine, again, nothing)

Does your cat tree have a box section, or would you be willing to mount a two or three sided box to one wall? She might be happier with an enclosed high space than an exposed one if she finds the kid stressful.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Hey cat thread people,

I've been thinking about getting an animal for my apartment. It's a small bachelor pad, 430 sq feet. Cats are allowed at my building, but I'm not entirely sure it's fair to the animal to live in a relatively small space like this. On the other hand, if I adopted a 3+ year old animal, living here would probably be better than being put down right?
Anyone have any thoughts about this?

If you have a balcony, put up some netting and make a catio. If not, consider a window screen so cat can get smells and sounds without worrying about them falling out. Make sure you've got time in your routine for at least half an hour's active play daily. Seconding making use of vertical space - I got some cheap IKEA wall shelves, stapled on some fabric and sisal and my cat loves his ersatz cat tree.

My flat is smaller than yours and I manage to keep my incredibly high energy youngster happy so a chill older cat shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you ask specifically to meet lazy adult cats and look for 3-4+ year olds as they've generally calmed down by then.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a good way to get cats to enjoy laps/being cuddled? Tuna loves attention, but he insists that he be allowed to sit/walk around on a cat pedestal (ie my desk, side table, kitchen table, bedside table, etc.) while I pet him. Which is fine, but I really want to do some intensive cat cuddling.

Some cats just aren't super into laps and cuddles. Macready also prefers a cat pedestal for the most part, although he will occasionally come flump down against me in bed and demand chin scritches. One of my old cats was like that when she was young too, though when she hit 7 or 8 she became a lot more cuddly and even started lap sitting. So maybe he'll come round with time?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Can you not let her explore the house in her own time? If you don't have a pressing reason to introduce her to the house in person (e.g. other cats/dogs that she'll need to be introduced to) I'd just leave the door open and let her come out when she's ready. Otherwise maybe try keeping her confined to the one room for a few days then try again once she's settled in a bit more.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Have you used a spot on flea treatment recently? They can sometimes develop spontaneous allergic reactions to spot ons even if they've been fine with them in the past.

Mine scratches at his neck too much as well but I suspect that's a habit he's formed because I got him chipped, vaccinated and deflea'd on the same day and he ended up scratching his poor neck so much he made it scabby. Which made it itchy, which made him scratch, which made it scabby... A bit of steroid cream from the vet cleared it right up, but he still scratches that area too much sometimes, especially if he's just been deflea'd. One thing the vet did point out is that the actual chip sits lower down the back than you might think, so it might not be his chip site he's scratching especially if it's migrated a bit over the years.

I'd take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up by itself, and maybe you could get them to check where the chip actually is to see if he is actually scratching at it.

Also look at that belly my god.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Thank you for the advice from a few weeks ago cat thread. Jonesy has been with me for 2 weeks now, and he's the best goddamn cat.

I spoiled the crap out of him and got a huge cat tree, water fountain, and a bunch of toys and stuff. He's a pretty happy, cuddly dude.

I haven't been able to get him to eat any wet food though. I've tried 6 different flavours and 2 different brands, and he only really likes the gravy. Idk?

If you want you could try pate style food, or something pricier like Thrive thats not the processed meat chunks. Some cats don't like the chunky bits but are cool with meat paste.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

neonbregna posted:

I think I am getting ready to make a terrible decision and get a cat. The one caveat I kind of have is I want to be able to take it for a walk. I know this almost certainly means no matter what cat I end up getting it will definitely murder me in my sleep for trying to leash it. That being said what is the goon hive mind consensus on cat types that will tolerate and enjoy being leashed?

I don't know about particular cat breeds that would tolerate leashing better - I know people with burmeses that have had good results and the clingier more people oriented breeds probably tolerate it better but to be honest there's not nearly as much difference between cat breeds as there is with dogs.

I do have some general leashing advice, from my experiences with my own cat. You'll need to be prepared to take it incredibly slow - start by just leaving the harness out, work up to draping it over them, then fastening it, then attaching the leash, then holding the leash etc. Expect this process to take weeks. Train a recall if you can - clicker training can really help with this. Also be prepared that they may never really enjoy it - my little guy is just always frustrated and scared on the leash because it restricts him so much. I actually mostly gave up because ultimately he didn't enjoy it, and now we just go for unleashed supervised outside time, but I'm lucky in that he will follow me anywhere, and my road is very quiet and kind of cat heaven. My friend on the other hand tried it out with her cat and had great success - he goes for a walk everyday now and absolutely loves it, so it's really going to depend on the individual cat and that is hard to predict.

You might be better off starting with a kitten or young (~1 yr old) cat as they'll be more likely to accept it. Something really important to bear in mind is that they can freak the gently caress out if they get threatened by something because they can't get away - they'll run to the end of the leash then flip out because they can't go any further and turn into a ball of rage. You need to be incredibly vigilant of approaching dogs and people and have an avoidance strategy. I would not recommend this with a nervous cat. I'd also recommend early mornings or late in the evening, and only if you live on a quiet road. You're not going to be walking them like a dog, it's more a short jaunt to sniff some things and roll around a bit. Some people are incredibly lucky and get a cat that they can take anywhere but for the most part they're territorial animals that prefer to stay in the same area.

Basically, if being able to take it for a walk is an absolute must, get a dog. If you're prepared to put a lot of effort in and run the risk of failing anyway, and you're ok with that, get a cat.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

pizzadog posted:

I'm looking for advice for getting an orphan stray kitten to stop biting us. While trying to hang out with her and get her accustomed to the other animals, the house, etc, she doesn't want to be held or pet and bites. She freaks out when we pick her up, claws us, bites, etc. Even while supporting her belly and bottom.
There are times we would like to be able to pick her up for her safety, as we have 3 larger cats and 2 larger dogs in the house too, and the house is not kitten proofed. She bites us a lot. She purrs SO loudly as soon as we enter the room she's in, pet her, give her food, but sometimes she just attacks our hands and bites. All while purring. She has toys, she enjoys playing with them, but if we throw a toy for instance sometimes she might be more interested in attacking the hand that threw the ball than the ball. She's about 6 weeks old, had her about 2 weeks, and she did only eat canned food from my hands for the first week or so.

If picking her up is a necessity, you could always try bribery. Find a food she loves she can lick off a finger and get one person to pick her up and another to hold the finger out. She'll probably never love it but it worked on my parent's monster of a stray cat enough that he will grudgingly allow picking up without trying to bite your face off anymore.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I don't have much advice for dealing with the territorial thing I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that you aren't pathetic for being scared. Cats are absolutely terrifying when they lose their poo poo.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Panzeh posted:

So, if i'm looking to be a first time cat owner, what's the best way to get a chill, lazy cat?

Seconding go to a shelter and tell them your needs. Look for cat 3+ years old. Male cats are often, but not always, lazier. Make sure your future cat has stuff to keep it occupied while you're out of the house so it doesn't get bored.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I think this might have been answered before ITT but not sure: my hellcat loves to chew. His all time favourite toy is a cardboard stick and his favourite game is being poked with it so he can grab it and bite the poo poo out of it. Anyone got any recommendations for cat safe chew toys/objects/whatever?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, they have 1 in the common space and 1 in my bedroom (mostly used by Terry), which I clean twice daily.

I might try some new toys. Terry doesn't care much about the cat toys I've tried, like laser pointers, catnip mice, or stuff-on-a-stick. Any recommendations? He needs more stimulation because he's cooped in my room all the time now.

Terry just went to the vet, and they say he's healthy. Didn't know Cat Drugs were an option -- do people actually dose their cats with stuff from the dispensary?

Fresh crinkle balls are incredibly cheap and every cat I've known has gone mental for them. Tin foil balls are a reliable crowd pleaser in the same vein. You also can't beat wiggling a stick under a blanket or rug.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I also got a toy recently that's a tiny flat bird, about the size of a golf ball, with a tuft of feathers for a tail and a little sound chip inside that makes a tweeting noise. It drives me round the bend but Macready is convinced it's a real live bird.

I've recommended these before, but Kong do refillable catnip toys - i have the field mouse one which has a feathery tuft and it's my cat's number one fave. After he's been at it it will literally be soaked because he dribbles all over it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Tiny Deer posted:

Yeah, it's just a term that comes with a lot of baggage that we can't really expect everyone to magically know about!

There's a lot of conflicting information on what to feed humans, but we all eat food and sort of...muddle along. The cool thing about living creatures is how flexible they are and how as long as they eat within a certain range of nutrients it's just fine.

I do wish there was a food that was just called This Is The Best Food For Cats, The Science Is In, Cats Love It Also Even Picky Bad Cats, This Food is The Good Food and Your Search Is Over.

(Trademark Tiny Deer.)

I would also like this food. My cat will only eat wet food that's shredded meat rather than processed chunks or pate, will only eat fish or fish adjacent flavours and any dry food other than Hills makes him get dandruffy and fart like crazy. He's also not a big eater and will stop eating dry food after a couple of days if that's all there is, so I have to keep him in expensive wet food or he gets skinny and/or smelly. It's pretty much Thrive Complete or he starves himself :argh:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Personally I like to feed two small meals of wet in the evening and put some dry food out in the morning. That way I make sure the idiot is getting at least some liquid but also can leave food out for him to nibble on that won't get gross (he's a super picky eater who's not that interested in food so he tends to eat a bit, wander off, then come back to eat some more later.) That doesn't work so well if you have one cat who's a picker and one who's a binger, or two bingers, though. It's good to get at least some wet in because of the aforementioned dipshittery about drinking, especially with male cats in my experience.

Cats are picky little sods, so whatever they'll actually eat is the most important consideration imo.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

CloFan posted:

Every single night both Gypsy and Harley will jump onto my night stand and drink water from my cup. On the one hand cat backwash, on the other I don't have to worry about them not drinking because slurp slurp slurp literally as soon as the lamp goes off

The easiest way to get water into a cat is by leaving your glass unattended for a millisecond.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Hallway cat might just have snuck out accidentally when new neighbour was going to work or something; that happened with my cat once, but my downstairs neighbour is a little old lady who was very happy to let him into her flat for the day when she found him in the hallway :3:. If he's still there, might be worth knocking on doors to see if he's someone's pet.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Lately, I've started paying more attention to how my cats position their tails, to read their body language. I recognise most of the positions they use from stuff I've read, but one I don't: tail curving high over the back in a crescent shape. I'm having trouble googling up a credible source explaining that one. Any links?

My cat does this - he sticks his tail up in the air with a crook at the end in the classic 'hey there' happycat style, but then it flops over after a while so I reckon he's just lazy.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Any tips on teaching very young children how to interact with animals? My niece is less than year old and adores our cat. Happily the feeling is mutual, but he is also hands-down the most mellow cat I've ever seen. He didn't react even when she managed to yank a handful of belly floof. I imagine that would go... less smoothly with any other cat, and I'd like to avoid setting bad precedents.

It's difficult with very young kids because their motor control isn't very good, so even when they're trying to be gentle they often end up whacking animals. Under a year is also a bit too young to properly understand the difference between petting and grabbing or hitting, to be honest.

What might be a good idea is teaching her how to interact with cats in other ways. Showing her how to feed a treat to the cat, how to play with a cat using a fishing rod toy or string, and teaching her to hold out a hand and let the cat rub it rather than actively petting, are all good ways to let a small child make friends with a cat without getting scratched or bitten. Teaching how to pet can come later when she's got better control of her hands and understands 'no' and 'gentle' as concepts. We've been doing this with my niece (nearly 2) and she LOVES making the cat jump around after a toy, probably more than she loves petting it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My niece isn't a great talker yet so she calls them Now-nows :3:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

In two hours I take Poyo, sweet boopcat, away for her last goodnight.

A good cat.

gently caress kidney disease.

I'm sorry :smith: she looks like a very good boopcat indeed.

If only they lived forever.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My cat loves his ball track but he mostly loves it at 2am when I'd rather he didn't.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

sensy v2.0 posted:

How do I get my ~1 year old neutered male to stop licking and slobbering all over me when I'm petting him and also sometimes when I'm not petting him? It's sorta endearing but last night I woke up and he was standing on my chest, purring and licking my eyelid.

He loves you :3:

I don't have any advice, I'm just laughing at the mental image tbh.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

nwiniwn posted:

Thanks for the advice, to everyone.

I won't be having my wife sleep on the couch, but I'll definitely plan on playing with the cat more (which we are entirely guilty of rarely doing). They already have automatic feeders which work fine, so that's good.

Regarding the ssscat, I don't think that will work. We leave the bedroom door open at night because we don't mind them being in there. It's just when he meows in the morning we would try closing it.

Let us know how it turns out but nthing the advice to play with him more, everyday for at least 1/2 hour if you can. It makes an incredible amount of difference - I've been too busy to play with my cat as much as I usually do recently and he's reverted from a chill morning love puddle to a hyperactive 5am murder machine in less than a week.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My cat always gets into the litter box but half the time he's too dumb to pull his arse in so he just poos over the side

Edit: it's a big litter box too. He just gets halfway in and then paws futilely at the litter while his turds lie there accusingly on the mat.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SickZip posted:

Also, the male loves burying his food when hes done. Since theres no dirt, he finds stray socks/towels, carries them over to his plate, and places them on his leftovers. Its simultaneously annoying and super funny. Has anyone had anything like this? Is it going to be a lifelong thing

Yes probably. My cat does this, specifically when he's bored of or doesn't like his food. He'll walk into the bedroom to find abandoned clothes and he once stole the loo roll from the bathroom to jam it awkwardly into his bowl.

I just put down paper towels next to his bowl now so he can bury things to his hearts content.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

MacReady only meows on three occasions: a questioning meow if he wakes up and I'm in another room; a plaintive mew when he wants to be let out for the loo; and, when I call him for dinner, a dopplering, high pitched shriek as he gallops frantically into the kitchen.

My sister's cat meows constantly from the moment she wakes up to the moment she sleeps. Cats are weird.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

What do I do to stop my second cat from trying to Single White Female my first cat?

Basically she’s contantly waiting until he moves then sleeping is places he likes, and I can tell he isn’t a fan.

My cat does this to me every time I go to the loo in the middle of the night.

Cat gonna cat.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

D34THROW posted:

So grumpy old Princess has, in the last couple of weeks, really taken to the kitten. Nothing like hearing playful growls and tinkles and looking down, expecting to see Chino and the kitten, but seeing Prinny thumper the kitten's head while he thumpers hers :kimchi:

We've also discovered that the kitten REALLY likes sitting in the kids' bedroom window and staring at the backyard all day. Probably all the squirrels. I'd rather him sit there than on top of the drat hamster cage making them squeal and screech at him.

:kimchi: I love old cat/babby cat friendships

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SixPabst posted:

Update: it went fairly well. The kitten seems to be the hissy bitchy one and basically hid under my coffee table while resident cat sniffed and took swats at her. There was no chasing or brawling so I'll call that a success. I'm going to keep feeding and playing with them on opposite sides of the barrier for a while longer but add in more of these supervised visits. Thanks all!

That sound exactly like my cat meeting the new kitten. Lots of hissy and puff from the kitten, lots of sniffing and batting from the older cat. They get on really well now, I fretted a lot at the beginning because MacReady kept pinning the kitten down and bowling him around like a rubber ball, but then I figured out they were both enjoying themselves and MacReady was just teaching little Momo manners when he pinned him, like a little kitten time-out :kimchi: Cat play can look super rough, but if there's no blood and only a little hissy (and the chasing/pouncing/pinning is reciprocal) that's just how they have fun. It's also pretty normal for an older cat to take on a mild disciplinary role with a kitten, and put them in their place when they get too hyper kitten-y all over the place, either by batting or pinning them. You will know if they're really fighting; there will be growling and screaming and viscious biting and no one will be showing their belly to anyone.

As I write this post, Momo, who is now a year old, just grabbed MacReady by the neck, backflipped him into the ground, and is now chewing on his ear while MacReady grumbles and pretends he's not enjoying it. How the tables have turned.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 28, 2019

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I usually sleep wedged between one cat who needs to be curled up against my face and another who isn't truly comfortable until he's at least partially draped over my feet. They are surprisingly polite about wake up time though; usually MacReady will just gently pat my face with one paw if he feels I've slept too long, while Momo purrs very loudly directly into my ear.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Now both the new kitties are sleeping in my bed in a kitten puddle with me. Blissful.

Didn't really expect the shy one to leave the bathroom let alone come find me in my room and join her sister.

:kimchi: bravery in numbers

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gaj posted:

Ugh, Sasha the kitten is having awful mushy poops, mostly at night. 16 week old female, wellness core kitten cat food pate chicken/turkey. Vet check shows no giardia or other immediate disease causes.

So ever since I got her she has had messy poops roughly 50% of the time, almost always at night, at midnight. We are talking immediate cleaning, because if I dont scoop her up right after to check her butt the minute she sits down on anything it looks like chocolate kiss melted on the spot.. Her noon poops are firm and generally leave her with a pretty clean butt. The midnight poop is the big climax of the night because I literally have to stay up to make sure she doesnt smear poop all over my rug, coffee table books, or bed sheets.

Her feeding schedule is 1/3 a can at 9am, 3pm, and 10pm. While shes still gaining weight and has a fat kitten belly still, I find that if I feed her too much in a serving (1/2 a can) she will have a messy poop soon after. I cant really feed her 4 times a day with 1/4s cause then she acts crazy and cries as if Im starving her allllll day. Im experimenting with how change up her food schedule but does anyone have any advice? Im thinking of making her 3pm meal dry food to see if that helps with binding.

This is becoming so regular that she has gotten used to the butt-washing. The water doesnt scare her and while she still hates it she at least doesnt do a dervish run.

My Stink Baby

My kitten had awful stinky runny poo up until he was 6 months old, often with a bit of fresh blood in it from his perpetually sore bum. I tried everything the vet could think to suggest once we ruled out worms etc; different food, different schedules, smaller meals, larger meals, the works, but nothing helped. Eventually it just...stopped, but not till after months of wiping him down and every vet at my surgery throwing their hands up in defeat. I still have no idea why, and this probably isn't a very reassuring story now I come to think about it, except to say that if you can't identify an underlying cause it may eventually work itself out as she gets older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Wile E. Toyota posted:

So I made a very interesting discovery about my cat who has chronically pooped right next to the box for years. Turns out he will go in the box... if I am there with him. What's up with that? Does he feel like he needs my comfort or approval to go in the box? If it's the comfort aspect, that makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy that I bring him security instead of anxiety when he's trying to do his business. I thought cats liked to be left alone while going potty but apparently not my cat, Boppo. Obviously I can't be there every time he needs to poop, but maybe doing this while I'm home will condition him into using the box more.

One of my cats will poo alone in a pinch but ideally will wait until I am also using the toilet (same room). If I'm not available, he'll also accept the other cat as a poo companion (compoonion?). If it makes him happy, I guess. Same cat who had four months of diarrhoea as a kitten for no discernible reason so sometimes I think he's still cautious about the litterbox in general.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 21, 2019