Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Best way to treat ringworm in a cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Vets often have a financial incentive to push Science Diet.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Made an appointment to take my Boogie (female DSH, 9-10y/o) to the vet tomorrow AM. Her appetite has decreased in the last couple of days, still eating just not as much and there was some blood at the end of her stool this afternoon. She hasn't shown any lethargy or change in behavior. Hopefully it's nothing serious and can be treated easily. She's a 100% indoor cat and has always been kept up to date and shown no other health issues.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

It seems I've been adopted by a neighborhood cat / abandoned kitty.

A couple of weeks ago I got home from work a bit after ten PM, and this cat tried to follow me through the door. Checked on it, super soft and friendly, so I figured she'd gotten out from somewhere and let her be on her way.

This morning, I went out back to smoke, and here she comes darting directly towards me and jumped right into my lap. I got home this evening and she was asleep on the patio table. Gave her a scratch and started walking around the back yard and it was like we were attached at the hip.

I made one of those rubbermaid/hay/styrofoam cooler shelters last year, and there are two small doghouses in the yard, none of them have any kittens in them and her nipples don't show any signs of nursing. No ear tip either. My assumption is that someone moved and decided my neighborhood would be a good place to abandon her.

As soon as I can I'm going to check for a chip (doubt it) and have the vet check for pregnancy and if that's all clear, get her fixed, vaccinated, and bring her in.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

kaworu posted:

Just to throw it out there, but it is perfectly feasible to get a small little travel-size litter-box for a cat to use in a car - it worked out fine for my cat, when I brought her on several cross-country car trips. It's not exactly ideal, but it was far from inconvenient and worked more or less perfectly for everyone involved. Generally speaking if a cat can use a litter box (even in a car) they will, at least in my experience.

I used one of these a few years ago when I moved 9 or 10 hours with my cat. She was on some sedatives the vet gave me, and in her carrier for the most of the trip, but she did use it whenever we stopped.

I hate that I gave her that sedative though, half an hour after I gave her half the recommended dose she was weaving in her stride, then when we were in the car she gave me a "hey you there" mew every 30 minutes.

If I'd known, and seen then how well CBD worked to help pets with stress, Boogie would've got da hemp instead of da drugs.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Levin posted:

I would hope medicating isn't necessary, especially given the frequency of the trips but are there CBD products specifically designed to help calm animals or cats specifically?

There are, some are in a typical CBD oil form, some are infused into treats. Just make sure whatever you're purchasing has third party ISO certified lab results available that test for contaminants and cannabis content.

I don't have any direct experience with cats and CBD, but did spend some time working at a dog boarding and daycare facility, and I've seen CBD oils work for different anxieties (boarding, storm, separation). That was actually my first exposure to CBD on whole.

A couple of anecdotal illustrations, I remember one dog, I've forgotten her name by now, who had real bad storm anxiety, bad panting, whining, pacing, she was sent with CBD specifically to give her when a storm was coming. A blanket and someone sitting in her kennel with her wasn't enough to keep her from panting and quivering, but a little bit of CBD oil and a blanket, she would still be uncomfortable, but the physical manifestations of her stress just kind of went away, she'd wrap herself in her blanket and let it ride.

Then there was Floppy, who made us institute the "Floppy Rules." At home, she was apparently the most docile, calm, sleep at the foot of your bed type dog, but when she was boarding with us, the separation and boarding anxiety was extreme. We'd open the door to the kennels, turn the lights on, and she'd immediately start violently spinning in circles in her run with no concern that she was running into the walls and bloodying herself, and she'd go into these fits multiple times per day. Her mom and dad got on board with CBD and started sending it with her. The Floppy Rules were we'd open the door and turn on the lights, one person would get a lead and take Floppy out to the yards, another would get her CBD oil ready, meet Floppy outside and administer it. Once we instituted the Floppy Rules, she'd start her AM panic, but we took care of her and she'd be fine the rest of the day.

Sorry for the dog derail in the catte thread, but I'd imagine in cats you'd see a similar calming, but not sedative effect when using CBD products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The guy I rent from's redneck rear end hillbilly bitch of a girlfriend moved in, and her cat just HAS to be indoor/outdoor because she "always has been." Despite having separate entrances, not loving with her lovely cat at all, all hardwood flooring, that lovely outside cat brought fleas to my cat and his two mini daschunds. Steroid fleas.

My kitty gets Frontline every 15th. She got to where she was self-harming with scratching and over-grooming so much that I thought I might have to make that hard decision.

I got my girl some Capstar, and holy poo poo, in my anecdotal experience, it loving works. From the symptoms list, what I saw in her: itching, incoordination and vocalization. Much vocalization.

Here about five hours post-dose, she's eaten, had a solid stool in the box, and has been napping by me for a couple of hours without jumping into random bouts of scratching.

I'm happy to see my baby girl actually rest.