Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

First time cat owner here, checking in after our first visit to the vet. Poor Leela did not have a good time. My heart just can't take it :smith:

Edit: I also wanted to ask for some advice - at night she's been going under our dressers and climbing up the back and into drawers of the dresser 2 or even 3 up. It hasn't been a massive problem because we keep her in the room at night so if we wake up and say "Where's Leela?" the answer is probably "in the drawer". I think it's fine letting her chill underneath the dresser at night if she wants to get some privacy but was trying to figure out a way to prevent her from climbing up the back of the dresser which is open from the bottom just in case she gets too high up and can't come down. Generally it seems like if she can get up, she can get down fine but didn't want her to get scared one night and start peeing in my sock drawer or something :goleft:

Edit: VV She's fine! Just a standard checkup. I'm not totally sure of her background, I adopted her from a friend who had her for about a month but had to give her up because she wasn't jiving with her dog, and the doctor said it seems like she has a bit of a "feral streak" judging by her reaction to him trying to take her temperature. He said that should go away after a few weeks of being in the house with us so hopefully next time won't be so bad.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leela was getting into her stitches after getting fixed..

Jesus this is sad. :smith: :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duckfarts posted:

PSA: do not remove the cone until the stitches are FULLY HEALED

FULLY loving HEALED

Yeah, as heartbreaking as it is to see I'm fully on board with this. She was a pain in the rear end at the vet's (so much so that they refer to her as "the bad kitty") so I want to make sure she doesn't have to go back until next year.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leela somehow got to her belly incision even with a cone on after getting fixed and we had to take her back into the vet for a re-glueing and some antibiotics. It wasn't too bad but they are just doing this as a precaution. She has to wear the cone longer now as a result. I so want her to be done with this cone :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The cone is off! Let the grooming commence!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We have an old pair of apple earbuds that we'll dangle in front of Leela occasionally and she makes a very specific excited meow as soon as we start that we pretty much never hear her do in any other situation. It's kind of crazy how excited she gets over a gross old pair of earbuds :3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When we first got our kitten the litter box we got had a spinny door on the front that she could push through to get in and have her enclosed area to go, and she was just fine with it. For some reason after a day away for surgery it's like she forgot how to use the door to the litter box and will just sit there meowing until we open the door for her to go in. I've tried closing the door as she goes in so she can feel the door and do her business with the door closed, and she can even find her way out okay with it closed but just won't go in on her own.

It's been anout a month since, we just took the door off the box so she can walk in and out as she pleases but it would be nice to have it back on eventually. Every now and then I try putting her in there paws first to let her in then give her some treats when she comes out but she still won't go with the door on. Is there a reason for this or is this just a case of "lolcats"?

Picture of the assailant

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 2, 2016

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, as a first year cat owner, how can I cat-proof my christmas tree? It's fake, so I think it's a lot less appealing to her already because it doesn't smell like a tree. She's been nibbling at branches here and there, which i'm not too worried about because I can't imagine the plastic tastes great, I'm just looking for ideas to keep her away to avoid any drama. We put the ornaments off the bottom layer so there's nothing dangling underneath for her to bat around, and I do have a bottle of that bitter cherry stuff I've been spraying on the wires to keep her from chomping on those. I'm really debating getting one of those Ssscat Air Cans just to keep around the base of the tree.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I interrupt this discussion to bring you a picture of my cat being cute.

I've been trying to deal with constant wakeup meows in the morning (I'm talking 2:30-3:00 AM) for food in any possible way. The problem is that it's not just meows, she knows how to push my buttons enough to make me get up so she can get fed. This includes but is not limited to trampolining on my stomach/balls, laying with her face beside my face and purring loudly (which is cute but gets old at 2AM), and knocking all the poo poo off of my side table while staring me in the face. It's not that she doesn't have food, we keep dry food in her bowl all the time, but she rarely goes to munch on it when hungry and instead will just wait until we give her wet food to eat.

I get that the best way to combat this behavior is to just ignore it - it'll get worse before it gets better, but it never got to that point and she just wakes me up earlier and earlier. Lately I've been getting up, letting her walk out of the bedroom, and closing the door to lock her out of the room. This seems to be a winning idea because she doesn't paw at the door or start meowing like crazy when she gets locked out, she usually just goes somewhere else and falls asleep. I understand that getting woken up by your cat for food is a relatively normal thing but is there any better way to deal with this other than just wait for her to stop?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 20, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Savings Clown posted:

Am I mad or is the answer to just leave her out of the bedroom when you go to sleep in the first place?

Nah this is definitely a potential solution, I was just trying to exhaust all my options before resorting to this because I like letting her sleep on the bed with us :3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey guys, my cat obsessively licks herself as soon as I start petting her, almost every time. She'll start licking the front of her while I'm scratching her neck or petting her back. It makes it hard to pet her! Is this some kind of a "dog kicking air while being scratched" automatic reaction?

Edit: Also, thanks for making me aware of the term Primordial Pouch. I kept calling it her paunch but this sounds much funnier.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 7, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got a second kitten over the weekend. Leela has been hilarious trying to figure out wtf this thing is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So we had to put the new kitten in the bathroom to litter train him because he peed on some things in our bedroom. We probably jumped the gun and expected him to just know where to go to the bathroom, but he's since learned and hasn't missed the box once so it's looking good. We're still keeping him in there for at least another week before setting him loose, just to be extra sure he learns to use the litter box every time. This has given him and Leela plenty of time to bond through the baby gate we have set up, and it's pretty much the most adorable thing ever. It went from tense standoffs with growling and hissing to now they sit on opposite sides of the gate poking their paws through and playing and hanging out. I'm hopeful that once we let him out they'll already be bestest of friends thanks to the time they've had to sniff each other out through the gate.

(ignore the foil/tape.. He climbed out once and this was the solution)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We finally introduced our cats tonight, let our new kitten out of the bathroom. He immediately ran to our older cat's litter box and peed in it which was awesome to see, especially considering it was in a different room and is a pretty large litter box. The little guy has been chasing my older (still only 1 y/o) cat around and grabbing at her tail. The good news is the older cat is showing zero aggression, however the young guy keeps chasing her around. I'm worried he won't let her chill and get some rest :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hyperlynx posted:

I think it's likely that the older one will let the kitten know when she's had enough, with a swat or a hiss or something. I'd be inclined to trust her, and let the cats sort their relationship out themselves, given the initial meeting has gone so well.

Also, at 1 year, she's still quite young. I wouldn't be surprised if she's still got lots of energy and willingness to play with the kitten.

Thanks for the encouragement, I think we are just going to let them go because she hasn't hissed yet. Hoping for a quiet night tonight!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Things have been going well after unleashing my kitten on my apartment. He had one accident outside the litterbox but he's been playing with my older cat fine and there doesn't seem to be any beef there. My girlfriend and I had a concert to go to last night and were out of the house ~12 hours and came back to them both sleeping on the couch together.

Check out how grumpy this goddamn cat is. <3

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 12, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been dealing with the same problem since getting our first cat. She's only a little over a year old at this point but every morning ~4AM she is standing on my sternum looking at me in the face. If I don't wake up the meows start, and if I ignore her more she'll hop on my side table and proceed to start knocking poo poo over. I know this is my fault for caving, but it's hard to not react when she is dangerously close to knocking a lamp over onto my face. I've been waking up and throwing her out of the room/closing the door but it hasn't helped. She knows how to push my buttons just enough to get me up. Our ~3 month old kitten is less of a baby about food than her. :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looking forward to de-coning my second cat that was fixed a few weeks ago. Why must they always try to look at their poo when they're done? :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Google Photos just automatically put together a video collage of a bunch of my cat pictures and called it "Meow Movie" and now I'm here at work trying not to cry looking at kitten pictures of my oldest cat. Not fair, Google. Not fair. :cry:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Best of luck to you. Hoping to see a "We got em" post soon..

Makes me happy I live on the 7th story in a closed down apartment complex. The worst I have to worry about is chasing my cats down the hallway (which only happened once fortunately). That and never being able to use my balcony because I don't want my cats to try and get cute and fall off :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Finn really likes to gently caress with Leela while she's sleeping. Cute licking turns into VERY AGGRESSIVE LICKING which in turn becomes biting and a yelp then a full blown cartoon orb of dust brawl that ends with them running out of the room together.

This is probably my favorite picture of them taken moments before she loses her poo poo.

"Urge to kill.. rising."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I may have to go with my girlfriend to say goodbye to her 13 year old boy this week while on vacation in Florida visiting her parents where he lives now. He was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and basically hasn't eaten going on 3 weeks now, what he does eat he usually throws up later on. He's lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks, which is definitely alarming, but he was a big boy to begin with so he's down to 14lbs now. They're keeping him overnight to give him IV fluids and steroids in hopes he gets his appetite back but it's not looking good. If he doesn't get better we're bringing him home for one last night then taking him in to put him down.

I was never an animal person before getting with my girlfriend but now we have two cats and the thought of having to do this to my own cats just sucks. I love our cats to death but this is just another strike against owning pets in the first place to me. I think most people say they'll know when to let go but man, it just sucks when they can't say "hey, I'm in pain, please put me out of my misery" and you just have to make the call for them.

It sucks this had to happen while on vacation, but I'd rather she be able to be there for it instead of hearing word from 1000 miles away that her parents had to put her cat down. I can't wait to get home and give my cats a big ol hug :cry:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, so it sounds like he took really well to the fluids/medication they gave him intravenously and he ate a bunch overnight and actually appears to be on the uptick. They're thinking possibly that there is an infection that the steroids helped with so they're keeping him another night to monitor him and see where he goes from here. I don't think we're out of the woods yet but the doc seemed to be pretty pleased with the progress over night.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bleh, and like a kick to the nuts he took a turn for the worst and we have to go put him down today. He got to come home and hang around the house while everybody says their goodbyes so I think this is the best possible outcome for him. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kaworu posted:

Man :( I am really sorry to hear about that, well, for your girlfriend's sake. Kinda must make for a lovely Christmas visit when you go home just in time to put the cat down :gonk:

Thanks, and honestly it was better than the poo poo show that would have ensued if it had to happen while we were at home. She got to be there for it and be with him until the end so it's probably the best possible outcome.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Knifegrab posted:

We have a cat who is pretty cool most of the time but in the morning she is a complete dickhead. If we lock her out of the room (which we have to) she will decide to paw under the door loudly all throughout the morning. If we stuff something into the crack of the door, she tears and pulls at it, which is also loud as gently caress.

We ignore her, we don't wake up and immediately feed or give her attention. This has been going on for months. I am starting to get fed up because I can't get a single good night's sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's been a year and a half since we got our first cat and she still does this every morning and evening around dinnertime (usually starts 1-2 hours before dinnertime). She won't paw at the door so I usually just throw her out of the room if it's too early, but she's never learned to this point and continues to do it. People told me to just ignore her and don't give it and eventually it goes away but in my experience it doesn't. Which sucks because I'm always the one to feed her so yeah my nights are usually cut in half because I'm up at 5-6 AM every day to feed her.

The worst part is that she knows exactly how to push my buttons just so to get me to react, like trying to push the lamp over on my head, or trying to knock poo poo off the table, or repeatedly jumping up on me from the floor. It's so loving obnoxious.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 10, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know how to deal with litterbox aggression (towards me)? There was a time that my cat got freaked out by a weird sound while I was emptying the litter box and she poofed up, stalked towards me, and bit me pretty good on the arm and scratched me open with her back claws. She freaked out as much as I did and she ran away/disappeared as I cleaned myself up. She's normally very docile, but every now and then when I'm cleaning out the litter she poofs up and starts stalking towards me like she wants to rumble again. The other week she got so close and basically went to bite me but I managed to notice her and pulled back/hid in the bathroom until she calmed down and walked away.

I think maybe she's on edge when I'm doing it expecting to hear this weird sound again or whatever, but I've noticed this happen a few times and I'm not sure what to do other than close the door when I'm cleaning the litter box so there's at least a door separating us.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ColHannibal posted:

Second box.

We have two. But we do have another cat. I guess they do say one for each cat plus another, don't they? I was trying to avoid having three litterboxes in our apartment.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BabyFur Denny posted:

we're doing pretty fine with one box for two cats, but we're cleaning them twice a day.

I might just need to be better at cleaning it daily. I sometimes let it go a day or two, maybe cleaning it more often will help her know I'm just trying to clean up her poop. :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My older cat chirrups a lot, the younger cat meows so infrequently that when he does it comes out weird and croakey sounding. Cats are weird.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Synthbuttrange posted:

Additional proof:

This is the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any tips on keeping litter in or around the box? I have some mats that sit under our litterboxes but they're just flat mats. My problem is I'll find litter all over my house because they track it out with them. I'm not looking to buy one of those igloos for my cats to poop in but if anyone has any recommendations for special mats they use or any ideas I'm open to hear them! I'm always disgusted when I vacuum my house just how much litter there ends up being far away from the boxes :gonk:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Raimondo posted:

I bought these:
Cat Mat

We had this problem big time when we didn't have anything, and I say these capture 90% of the litter when they come out now. When I change the little I pick up the mat and dump shake it off into the box. Otherwise it builds up too much. Effective probably is determined on the kind of litter you use.

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. Going to pick up one of these for sure!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Raimondo posted:

I bought these:
Cat Mat

We had this problem big time when we didn't have anything, and I say these capture 90% of the litter when they come out now. When I change the little I pick up the mat and dump shake it off into the box. Otherwise it builds up too much. Effective probably is determined on the kind of litter you use.

Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation! I got mine yesterday and can already see the difference it's making. Definitely going to look into buying a second one for our other litterbox now. :cheers:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

veiled boner fuel posted:

I need some cat help.

I'm still having similar problems with my first cat that have been a thing for a year+. I know the advice is always to just ignore them and it will stop with enough time, but it's hard to ignore her when she literally knocks all the poo poo off my side table including the lamp (which fell on my head multiple times) and is generally a huge dick when she wants fed.

What I do now is just get up, walk through my bedroom door, and just step back inside, closing the door behind her so she gets locked out of the room. I do this most mornings unless it's actually feeding time and she never seems to figure it out. She even looks at me and meows as I walk through the doorframe as if to say "please don't close the door you sonofa-". She never messes with the door when I lock her out like that, doesn't scratch or meow or anything but is definitely pissed and meowing a bunch when I do finally get up and walk out of the room. I had hoped she would have learned by now that just getting me out of bed doesn't mean she's going to get fed but she still does it. I also don't want to sleep with our door closed because our other cat is chill as gently caress and I would like for them both to come and go as they please. I dunno, I've basically resigned to the fact that I'm going to be woken up between 4-5AM every day at this point.

Picture of the offender (left) and her brother looking cute.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hope to never be in another cone situation for my cats again, I felt so bad through the whole thing. It's better than having to take them back to re-suture the wounds but so much food/poop gets stuck to those things :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, I just had another incident with my one cat (~2y/o) changing the litter again. I opened the lid to pour more litter in and she came around the corner staring daggers at me. She got real close and started doing this "Merp" sound at me at which point I knew she wanted to rumble. My in-laws who are visiting came over like "pfft she's fine let me do it" and started pouring the litter in when she attacked my girlfriends mom. Fortunately she was wearing pants and didn't get scratched or bitten but we yelled and got her to stop attacking, at which point she just stalked around the house scaring the poo poo out of us with a corncob tail until she finally chilled out and is now sleeping comfortably beside me.

I really think she has a negative association with me near her litter specifically because of one time that she got freaked by a loud sound while I was changing the litter almost a year ago at this point. My gf's parents have been changing the litter all week and she's sniffed around but never attacked until today when I tried doing it, and then she went apeshit on everyone till she calmed down. She's never aggressive except almost every time I'm changing the litter. Fortunately she's also never shown any real aggression towards our other cat, just me when doing the litter.

Do these Feliway diffusers help? I was thinking about getting one of those things and keeping it around the litter to chill her out but I would really like to just not have to worry about closing the door or keeping my head on a swivel checking for Leela every time I change the litter.. :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the tips, prob gonna just make sure I close the door when I do it. There are times though that I'm not sure if she's in the room so I keep checking over my shoulder to make sure she's not there :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty sure my kittens didn't eat/poop for ~2 days after bringing them home. We just made sure they had it available and gave them space (but checked in every now and then) and eventually came out to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Question: how is a cat's ability to recognize height as something not to gently caress with? I live in a 7th story apartment and we have a small outdoor balcony. There's standard metal railings that go up about 4 ft around. I basically never use this balcony because I'm terrified of my cats getting out there and trying to leap up one the railing and tumbling over or something, most likely in pursuit of a bird. I won't be doing this ever but say my cat was given access to this balcony - would they recognize they are 7 stories up and not be stupid or are cats big dummies and would probably get themselves killed in minutes?