Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I just got a cat after yeaaaars of wanting one but it not being practical (city-life, shared apartments, landlords) and I need more places to gush. I read the OP and a bunch of research in advance so I have no questions really, except maybe "why is this cat so insanely affectionate from the start if she was presumably dumped, or born in a landfill and will this somehow backfire on us??"

Here's a x-post from the black cats thread:

quote:

This is Katya, she's a little garbage baby who was found in a Romanian landfill and we adopted her last week.

sometimes you have to combine all the instagram filters to get her to show up in pictures but it's worth it. this picture was taken 15 minutes after we took her home, she's the easiest most adaptable cat ever and she loves people.

they think she's 1 year old but she's so tiny she still looks like a kitten, the organisation that flew her in for adoption says all of their Romanian cats are half the size of regular cats for some reason. We're so lucky, I love this little floof so much. :3:

Today I finished this cat-tree I was basically planning from the moment we got the okay and I'm really happy with how it turned out!

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1102265599135268865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Organza Quiz posted:

Congrats on cat! That is a cool tree but it would be even better if you wrapped the central column in carpet too. That way she'd be able to use it to stretch up and scratch and also climb up it to reach the platforms if in the mood.

Thanks! I wrapped the lowest part of the pole in sisal rope for scratching, turns out 10 meters is not that much?
I think we need to adjust the platforms a little too, so I might order more sisal when we’re done tweaking.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2019

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah I usually use her dry food in her treat-ball or to get her to go places, she's always hungry so it doesn't seem like she cares if it's an actual treat or not.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Mine will sit in front of the door looking forlorn when I leave for work and runs squeaking when one of us returns. It worried us at first, even though we haven't been gone longer than a day so far, but I think the toys and treat-ball help a lot. It's probably different when you have multiple cats tho, we're already planning on getting her a buddy when we move to a bigger place someday.

edit:

I have to face this tiny black hole of disappointment every morning.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 14, 2019

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

D1E posted:

Or right now. The more cats the merrier. Up to, you know, a reasonable limit.

I wish, but I just feel like multiple cats in a little 1 br would be impractical. we only have room for the one litter box as is, but we scoop multiple times a day. when we buy a house I'm planning on going full cat-lady tho.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I think she's just happy to see us too, but it did make me worry about her being alone and bored all day. We got her more toys and she can hassle the treat-ball for food when we're not home so it's probably fine!

Can't relate on the food issue as Katya acts like she's never been fed in her life when we're in or around the kitchen at most times. She was found in a landfill and I think the shelter just let her graze, so I'm chalking it up to getting used to new feeding patterns.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our kitty has a scaley patch behind her ear that seems to be worsening. We have a vet-appointment on friday but I hope it's nothing that requires invasive treatment, she just got comfy in her new home. :(

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We have to put the litterbox in the main living area due to small apartment reasons, but I honestly haven't noticed it at all. It's covered and we scoop multiple times a day, it might also be the silicate grit we use.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Our kitty has a scaley patch behind her ear that seems to be worsening. We have a vet-appointment on friday but I hope it's nothing that requires invasive treatment, she just got comfy in her new home. :(

Update: she's got ear-mites. Probably from the shelter or the Romanian garbage-dump she was living in before that. She got some ear-drops that she HATED and we have to administer them two more times, not looking forward to that but I hope it kills them because seeing her all uncomfortable and itchy breaks my heart.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
This is some type of viscous liquid that goes into her ears to smother the mites, I'm not looking forward to restraining her while she screams in distress. :(

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We've been dealing with this as well and she's been getting used to her feeding times (three small portions, one in morning, one in a treat-ball, and one at night) and the key seems to be to ignore her when she starts following us around begging for food. Food-times are also after we've prepared our own breakfast and dinner, the treat-ball is for when we are at work but she's gotten pretty good at driving it into a corner and smashing it for kibble until it's empty.

She still tends to wake us up before our alarm but usually she just crawls into bed with us and chills until we get up. I've banned her from the bedroom for being an rear end in a top hat before, but it's non-stop scratching and squeaking which is 100% effective at finally breaking our spirits.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
lol same, I got punched in the face this morning too. Cats are supposed to be most active during dusk and dawn, right? I think she's just bored and playful and wants us to get up, get up, get up.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

incogneato posted:

How easy is it to get a kitten vs a 1 year old cat happy with something like a harness and leash outside?

I just successfully got a harness on our 1 y/o kitty, that's as far as I've gotten but it was fairly drama-free. I just fed her treats through the harness for a few days, taking it slow, and now she can get used to wearing it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our kitty peed outside of her box for the first time, luckily it was on the easily cleaned kitchen floor but why?? Her box is clean, nothing's changed, she's young but litter-trained, seems otherwise healthy and happy too.
I'm guessing it's an accident or she got a little too excited attacking a grocery-bag in there last night, anything else we should be looking out for?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Zwille posted:

Could it have been a standing up accident? That happened to ours occasionally, she'd stand in the box but pee outside of it entirely by accident, but eventually she learned.

Nah, she has a covered box that she uses daily so v:shobon:v

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, that's the plan currently. I did change litter-brands about a week ago (so it's still pretty clean, also seems exactly the same as the old brand) but she's been using it every day without issue. Going with 'is cat' until evidence shows otherwise, thanks for your thoughts!

Seemed to good to be true that we've had her for a few months without any accidents whatsoever. First time I had to use the enzyme-cleaner, good thing we bought it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kaworu posted:

Hey, I just wanted to give you a possible reason for why your cat may have peed outside of the box....

Cats are extremely good at hiding pain, and unless it is actually debilitating, it can be very difficult to notice. Like you, my cat has always been super-good about always using the litter-box, and after 5 years of never failing to use it, she suddenly was peeing furtively on a plastic bag on the flower and being really weird about it. I found this very concerning, and I learned that when a cat experiences PAIN will urinating, their immediate response is to urinate in a totally different place, hoping that changing that variable will solve that problem.

So basically... I would do two things. The big thing you're worrying about here is a UTI - urinary tract infection. Take a look at your cats genitals and make sure that everything is clean, and nothing is inflamed or painful looking, or even bleeding. If things look 100% fine and it was a one-time incident. you could probably reasonably have cause to not go to they vet. If she pees outside her litter box again this weekend, I'd take her to to the vet as soon as you reasonably can, and they'll get her one some antibiotics and/or provide with some topical ointment to keep the pain and inflammation down for a time.

Thanks, I know it could be indicative of something medical going on so that's why I posted. So far she's gone back in the box to poop and probably pee? It's a little hard to tell with the silicate litter but we're keeping a close eye on her. I'll also examine her bits when she'll let me.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

zakharov posted:

Black cat gang assemble

She's back to peeing in the box like nothing happened btw, silly cat.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Boogalo posted:

That is one enormous inky void.

Everyone's cats look huge, mine are 5.5 and 9.5 lbs.

lol yeah, Katya is only 6 lbs. all cats look huge to me now.

perfect shoulder-cat.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We cat-proofed our backyard!
Not looking to open up a can of worms here but outside cats are very much the norm where I live, and despite the lack of predators and relative safety we don't feel comfortable letting our tiny trash-baby roam the neighbourhood freely. Mostly because we have a lot of neighbourhood cats and see missing cat posters all of the time, and also because she's super-cute and friendly to strangers and I don't want anyone stealing my precious. :qq:

She was fine in our small backyard for a while but curiosity won out, and she found out she could easily climb the wooden fencing. This set off our arms-race and it looks like we might have won with this diy spinning bar system. Haha, owned.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Zwille posted:

You do realize it’ll keep other cats in your yard too once they get in, right? That looks like a Thunderdome situation in the making.

Our yard used to be part of the domain of this big white & tabby fucker but ever since he and Katya held a few staring-contests, he usually sits and watches from the top of the fence. He can't do that anymore so we'll see if he manages to trap himself or just moves on. We'll of course check and safely remove him if necessary, I'm thinking he'll get the message if it even happens the one time.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kaworu posted:

Random question: Does your cat ever groom themself while sitting in your lap, or while leaning/propped up against you, using you as a horizontal surface in order to more easily access those hard-to-lick places? Jackie seriously does with me. I only ask about it because she's the one and only cat I have had who wasn't like... very particular about not being around humans while grooming. Similarly, Jackie is the only cat I've had who doesn'y immediately flee from the litterbox when I come in the room. Cats look VERY funny standing in litterboxes with hoods like mind... I gotta snap a picture of that next time.

Yes, Katya does this all of the time. Sometimes she will so casually assume you'll support whatever crazy origami position she's in that she falls off if you're not paying attention. Lil dumdum.

edit: rude as hell

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 13, 2019

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our cat usually wanders over at some point to cuddle up in between us, but gets cranky when we move in our sleep too much and moves to the window. Mornings depend on how early they are, she's adjusted to our weekday rhythm fine but she did punch me in the face once while I was slowly blinking awake on the weekend. Little bitch.

Recently she's been crawling under the covers when we lift them, real cozy but gotta watch any moving limbs because then it's play-time in the dark.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

She's back to peeing in the box like nothing happened btw, silly cat.

Syke, we went away for a couple of days and in this past week after we got back she managed to pee on my backpack (on the floor), my bf's jeans (also on the floor), and today on the bed. We took her to the vet because clearly something is going on. They sent us home with a sample-kit and some medicine, it's up to us if we want to give her the medicine this weekend or wait until they get the urine sample. I'm leaning towards waiting to see if she does it again since we don't know if it's an infection yet, we cleaned her box and replaced the litter just in case she just thinks it's too smelly. Anything else I should be looking out for?

If it's not an infection it might be stress-related from either our trip, that time she escaped the backyard last week, or who knows what.Thinking of getting some Feliway to have on hand.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

mistaya posted:

My roommates cat would pee on any towel left on the floor and it wasn’t any kind of medical issue at all she had just decided towels were fair game for peeing on. If the backpack and floor laundry are frequent targets my main suggestion is to put those things in closets and a hamper and see if your cat still has a problem.

If it is a medical issue cat will pee on the carpet somewhere so you can rule it out.

Yeah, we're being more diligent about picking up after ourselves, it's just that it's only been a problem recently which worries me. She also pissed on the bed today, which is a lot more annoying than floor-laundry.
It is possible we kept the same litter in too long, it's the silicate kind that's supposed to last a month but we've never made it past 3 weeks max. Maybe it was getting unacceptable already.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
That last bit was really helpful, thanks! It's a painkiller and the vet said that the treatment for a regular bladder-infection would basically be that plus wet food with water added. I think we'll give it to her tomorrow.

Stuff we did or were already doing:
-enzymatic cleaner plus washing machine (biotex soak for the wet spot on the duvet)
-leave less items lying around ready to be peed on
-scoop the litter-box twice a day or right after she goes
-never chastise her for making a mess

Stuff we noticed after paying attention:
-she squeaks before using the box, she always squeaked after to signal that she's a good girl and we can get on with scooping her poo poo now, thanks
-no apparent change in drinking-habits
-still obsessed with food

It's hard to tell what she's doing in there except for digging noises because it's a covered box, nothing new though. No sounds of straining or discomfort.
We really don't have the space for a second litter-box so we're just super diligent about keeping it clean and fresh, it's very roomy and the cleanest box ever.

The only thing I can think off that has changed is that we haven't been letting her out in the backyard since her escape, she's vocally unhappy about that but she kind of has to deal until we win the cat-proofing war. Her escape may also have been stressful, she was gone for half a day and must have been stuck in a neighbour's backyard. We were worried sick until she loudly came crashing across some fences when I called her late at night.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
It took us a week to see Katya drinking from the fountain, but she uses it occasionally now. I think she prefers the water-bowl so we just keep both around, I like the fountain because it holds two liters which is handy when we're gone.

Her new toys came in today and she's super excited about them.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I'm trying to get a pee-sample with a kit (plastic beads, pipette, vial), but is there anything I can do to make her go faster? Ideally before the vet's office closes since I know time is of the essence for sample quality.

She went this morning before I swapped the litter and peed outside the box again too, I've been giving her a spoonful of wet food with extra water to fill her bladder up again but idk if that's going to work. :sigh:

edit: Three spoons of wet food soup and some catnip later, just delivered the freshest cat piss to the vet!

edit 2: No signs of an urinary infection, I plugged in some feliway and I guess I'm moving furniture to make room for a second litter-box.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 4, 2019

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Maybe it's one those diseases that cats get and causes neurological damage? I've seen it before, and a cat in the shelter our kitty a staying in had it. Sweetest little cat with a unsteady gait and a little head-wobble.

I was trying to find the viral disease I was thinking of but maybe it's more like this, which is apparently caused by Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXrcCoE_fUE

Update on our little piss-monster, we added a second litter-box (an easy decision but not the most practical in a 1 br) and I also used a different litter in that one. So far she's preferring the new box and hasn't peed anywhere else, so I'm guessing she's mostly particular about either doing her business in the bedroom all of the sudden or changed her mind about the kind of litter she tolerates. Will experiment to find out, but I guess it was just 'cats v:shobon:v'

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm very likely getting my very first cat next week. Have been thinking about it heavily since the beginning of this year after some Life Events both good and bad, but deciding I needed to think about it for a few months before I pulled the trigger since it's such a commitment and to make sure I still wanted to, and for the right reasons. I went to a shelter last weekend just to look at what they had, talked to the staff as much as I could, etc. I've done my research and feel pretty prepared for what to expect the first few weeks all except for one topic: litterboxes... And I'm really not sure where to start. I have the money to blow so I'm not sure if I should go automatic or this weird Breeze Tidy Cat pebble thing the girl at Petsmart was raving about today when I was buying supplies & toys.

I have the money to spend on an auto-litterbox but I don't know if that's bad/not ideal for the cat, which is ofc what I care about first and foremost, and odor next (I can deal with odor for a few minutes when they use it but I want to avoid things that stink up the whole place all day if not cleaned every few hours). So an auto-box would be convenient for me, but I'm also not lazy if autos are generally not very good. In the end it could just comes down to what the cat ends up liking? I was told they sometimes really don't like new ones after they're adopted from a shelter after they got used to the one they had. I've noticed when I talk to friends about cats and first-time ownership no one ever even seems to bring up litterboxes so it might not even be a big deal compared to everything else. So I could just be overthinking it. Is there anywhere in this thread that has a pretty good info dump on it? The first few pages didn't discuss this specifically. I just want my cat to poo poo in peace and security, like all god's creatures deserve.

Some background: I live alone in a 2-bedroom apartment and I'm at work about 9 hours during the day so I'm thinking the absolute youngest I should go with one cat is 2-3 years old so they don't go crazy. I'll be adopting from a shelter. Never had a cat before so I don't want to get 2 right out of the gate but that could be a possibility later if things work out well.

We adopted our first cat about six months ago and put in a lot of planning and thought into it before we did, so maybe my experiences can help!
We don’t have the space for two cats and both work full-time so both kittens and older cats needing special care were out, so we spent a lot of time looking for the perfect fit. In the end none of the local shelters seemed to have one that could do well on its own or needed extra or special care, so we opted for one of the many organizations that bring cats in from countries where there’s a massive surplus of adoptable animals.
Katya was estimated at one year old when she was found in a Romanian landfill and is fine on her own, but doesn’t hate other cats (we’re planning on introducing a second cat when we buy a house).
This might not be applicable if you’re from the states but keep in mind that a good fit personality and lifestyle-wise can take a while to find!

Living in a small space the litter-box situation was one of the main issues I had to convince my bf we could solve before we decided.
Initially we got a covered box and put it in the living-room, and used silicate litter that was recommended to us by friends because of smell-elimination and ease of use.
They weren’t wrong! You hardly noticed the box and guests would comment on the lack of smell.
All good, until a couple of months in Katya decided to pee outside of the box because of reasons. We just got a second box, filled it with clay litter and placed it in the bedroom, it’s now her preferred box to use and she doesn’t go outside it any more.
We’re still experimenting with litter-types but the point is that whatever works best for you, may not work for the cat.
I looked at litter-robots before but knowing what I know now I would never buy an expensive and super-specific device until after I got to know the cat and their preferences.
Cats are gonna cat and if you need to cycle through a few options before they settle on what they like, it’s better to start simple imho.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I built a cat-tree and covered part of it in sisal rope, but we also have one of these:

It's technically disposable but she uses it all the time and in six months she has barely made a dent in it and we can still flip it over for another round, it's super sturdy.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bobstar posted:

Jimmy is not loving this heatwave we're having in Europe. Not helped by the fact that he's black and fuzzy. But he's drinking his water like a good boy :3:

Ugh, same. I got Katya a cooling mat for dogs and switched to wet food for extra moisture during this heat wave. I just hope she isn't too uncomfortable. :/
She keeps crying to be let outside but no way am I opening any doors, it's an oven outside.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
No airconditioning in Europe.

"help"

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I just set up one of those big column-fans because the small one wasn't cutting it. Mobile air-cons are such a pain the in rear end, I think we just need to accept that the climate is trying to kill us and start building them into houses.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
It sucks because it's only necessary for like two weeks out of the year, but goddamn it would be worth it for being able to sleep at night. I feel like for the past five years the heat record has been broken here in The Netherlands too.

This thing owns but the temp display is making me despair.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bobstar posted:

Hey, a fellow Netherlands-liver! Mediamarkt and Bol certainly sell out of fans quickly every time this happens.

Hoi! Yeah, I planned for mine to be delivered yesterday, but of course it only came when the temp dropped 10 degrees today. :downs:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I have the opposite issue, Katya is so food-motivated she learned how to open the cupboard where we keep her dry food. She hasn't figured out the plastic container yet, but after doors, screens, and cabinets, it can only be a matter of time.
Also, when we got her I bought a few sampler boxes of wet food to go with the dry and there's nothing she won't eat. Guess I'll just have to pick one when we run out?

She's learned how to make noise tho:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1148126259932778497

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

KidDynamite posted:

Marie has a bald butt. Like a half inch around her butthole with no hair. It's really great that I don't ever have to worry about her tracking but it's real weird to see.

I thought this was normal? Katya has a VERY fluffy butt except for a little bare space so she can show you her butthole at any and all times (v important).

edit: maybe I just don't know how inches work tho

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

TMMadman posted:

As a general rule of thumb, the distance between the tip of your index finger and the first knuckle (or really the distance between any of the finger joints) is approximately one inch. I mean it's not exact but it still gives a decent visualization.

Oh, that's useful! I guess I mean a quarter inch then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
rip, poor baby :(