Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I moved with my cat Terry, a month ago, into an apartment with my sister and her cat Spock. Both cats are both neutered males about 5 years old. Spock has lived with other cats and Terry has lived with one other, with Terry eventually learning to get along with the other. But for now Terry and Spock have a hostile relationship, where Terry will swat Spock for no special reason and then Spock chases Terry around the house. The upshot of all this is that Terry keeps peeing in the common area.

So I'm cleaning up the pee, keeping them separated except for supervised visits, and I put a pheromone emitter in the area where Terry has peed a few times. Pretty much doing the steps the ASPCA recommends. Anything else I might try?

e: Oh, the other big thing is that Terry was an indoor/outdoor cat before this and now he's strictly indoor. He's probably ticked off about that too, even if he doesn't know it.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I moved with my cat Terry, a month ago, into an apartment with my sister and her cat Spock. Both cats are both neutered males about 5 years old. Spock has lived with other cats and Terry has lived with one other, with Terry eventually learning to get along with the other. But for now Terry and Spock have a hostile relationship, where Terry will swat Spock for no special reason and then Spock chases Terry around the house. The upshot of all this is that Terry keeps peeing in the common area.

So I'm cleaning up the pee, keeping them separated except for supervised visits, and I put a pheromone emitter in the area where Terry has peed a few times. Pretty much doing the steps the ASPCA recommends. Anything else I might try?

e: Oh, the other big thing is that Terry was an indoor/outdoor cat before this and now he's strictly indoor. He's probably ticked off about that too, even if he doesn't know it.

At the risk of repeating a stupid question: Anything else I can do? Things are kind of tense :(

Here my cat

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Does each cat have their own litterbox?

Yeah, they have 1 in the common space and 1 in my bedroom (mostly used by Terry), which I clean twice daily.

porkswordonboard posted:

You may also want to consider bringing some Cool New Toys into the house. Something for them to play with instead of what they're doing now. Maybe a few Cat Dancers, etc.

I went through a similar thing with my boys, both large adult males. It took a while for them to figure their poo poo out, but now they only play fight. However, if Mr Pee Pants keeps, uh, expressing himself, you may want a vet visit. I thought Hobbes was just the kind of cat who pees on poo poo when stressed, turns out he had some serious health issues. If Terry's urine looks dark, or you notice anything untoward, it couldn't hurt to get a vet's opinion.

Also, perhaps CBD tablets/treats/tincture could help. Cannabidiol is, as we all know, an excellent way to relax, and if they get used to feeling good around each other...well, couldn't hurt!

I might try some new toys. Terry doesn't care much about the cat toys I've tried, like laser pointers, catnip mice, or stuff-on-a-stick. Any recommendations? He needs more stimulation because he's cooped in my room all the time now.

Terry just went to the vet, and they say he's healthy. Didn't know Cat Drugs were an option -- do people actually dose their cats with stuff from the dispensary?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cat's going back to Sacramento tomorrow. Sorry cat you were too good for this place :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ethics is a pro-tier cat name. Cute cat, too!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh God, is there homeopathic poo poo for animals too? I guess it makes sense from a marketing standpoint but don't expect it to do anything.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

My kitty James sometimes licks my backpack straps

some cats are really into backpacks and shoes because of the people smell

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pixelante posted:

How should I feel about a family with a 2-year-old and 5-year-old adopting my foster kitten?

I think I'm just being racist towards toddlers but I keep imagining him getting dragged around by his floofy tail.

Toddlers are little terrors but at least a kitten is able to adapt to them better than an adult cat who hasn't been around kids much.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

khy posted:

Are my concerns stupid?

No. General anesthesia is always risky, and of course there is a chance that her eating preferences will change with fewer teeth. I couldn't tell you what the right move is though -- risks and benefits are best discussed with your vet.

vvvvvv This is also true.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 4, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

khy posted:

I had to take her to the evet.

It wasn't just teeth; renal failure and a heart condition I didn't know about.

She's not in pain anymore.

Oh no, that has to be very hard. I'm sorry.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Here's my cat Terry looking silly. I was living with him in California for a few years after he followed my friend home from the grocery store. He's very social with people but doesn't get along with other animals, unfortunately. My mom had to take him for about a year, because when I moved in with my sister in Portland he kept getting attacked by her cat and was pissing on the furniture about it.

It's great to see him again! I'm home for Christmas but should be moving to a new place in February (Portland housing prices... :smith:) and I'll be able to take him back. Good kitty!

More cat

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 18, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

KITTON MITTONS

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My idiot cat likes to gnaw on the bamboo plant out back and throw up. Cat!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Here's my cat Terry looking silly. I was living with him in California for a few years after he followed my friend home from the grocery store. He's very social with people but doesn't get along with other animals, unfortunately. My mom had to take him for about a year, because when I moved in with my sister in Portland he kept getting attacked by her cat and was pissing on the furniture about it.

Terry's back, and he's the best roommate ever. Terry is 6 years old, and had gained a lot of weight up through 2016. He is 14-15 lbs now and the vet has put him on 1/4 cup of food twice a day and he is really interested in getting more.

He has been trying to get up on the kitchen counter near his food bag (which is in a cabinet he can't open) and has been trying to steal food from me a lot. To be fair he always wants to party with me if I'm awake but he seems particularly interested in food. I spray him with a water bottle to shoo him off the counter and table, but I have been thinking if I replaced a serving of dry food with wet food he might get more moisture and feel fuller so he'd beg less. Worth trying?

I have been really relieved that Terry is not stressed out and so has not marked anywhere in the apartment. But he does like to sharpen his claws in convenient places like my dining chairs and it's been hard to discourage him, especially as I am usually out of the apartment for 7-8 hours a day. I got him a cat tree off Amazon, sprayed it with Feliway pheromones a few times, and put his favorite crocheted blanket on there, but he's not going for it. Can I encourage him to sharpen his nails on the rope bits another way?

Hurf durf pizza

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

Get some cardboard scratchers (they are like 5-7$ each). If he has some toys he likes to chase try getting him to play on the tree with the toys (catnip might help too). Some sort of toy mouse tied on a fabric ribbon usually works well for our cats.

1/4 cup of food twice a day seems a bit too little even for a 14-15 pound cat. He seems like a big cat (not in weight but overall size). How much were you feeding him before? You could try some wet food. You could maybe try spreading the food out to 1/8 cup 4 times per day too (an auto feeder would help with this).

Well he was getting like 1 cup a day or even more, it was way too much. He's a big cat for sure, I might try giving him 1/4 can of wet food (30 calories) in addition to his current 1/2 cup of food a day (160 cal).

I'll try a cardboard scratcher. But lately I have pushed together the cat tree, a swath of carpet for scratching, and the ever-tempting Amazon box together by the windowsill for an irresistible cat-fort, and he's into it.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 20, 2018

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry, a 7-year-old male, has been living in my apartment with me for a month and he's developing some bad bathroom behaviors. Yesterday he peed in a cardboard box I had out for him to play in. I threw out the box and cleaned up, and then I got some new litter and made his litterbox pristine in the hopes he'd return to pee there. But he just pissed on the couch next to me, gross.

Any ideas for getting him back to his litter box? I don't think he's spraying because he's stressed out; I think he's just unhappy with the current bathroom arrangements. This is a different type of litter than he'd had before (it's the lighter-weight stuff) so that might be part of it. Anything I can do to get him more adjusted to this new litter, or do I just need to find the old kind? Thanks for any advice you can give.

e: His litterbox is in the bathroom and it's easy for him to get to. But I also feed him in there, could that be part of the problem?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

Potentially. The normal bad peeing advice goes: get n+1 boxes and find a litter they like, remove materials that are making them pee (like some rubbers/plastics), if you're transitioning litter try to do it gradually, try to leave them visibility so they feel safe but also kinda boxed, remove stressors like crystals or other animals, make sure he's not doing it for attention, do your best to rush him to the box so he associates peeing with the spot, remove old pee spots with enzymatic cleaner (try to treat carpet padding too), then talk to your vet about behavioral meds or live with it forever or burn the house down and disappear.

Yeah, makes sense. One thing I realized is that the litter was probably too deep in there -- I dumped out like half of it so it's back to 1-2 inches depth. He might be happier with that, I hope.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks to all with the help on bathroom problems. Terry has gotten over his issue with the litter box and is using it properly again, to my relief.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there a way to keep my cat (indoor, male, 6 years old, large) from being an rear end in a top hat when he wants to be fed? I feed him at 8 AM and PM, dry food mainly plus a spoonful of wet food in the evening. I don't really care if he meows, stalks me, or gets really friendly, but I do get mad when he jumps on furniture and starts doing damage to bric a brac (on my dresser and shelves). He's catching on to good ways to get my attention. I have been trying to associate feeding times with a Google Home alarm but he isn't noticing or caring.

I like him sleeping by my feet most of the time (and keeping him out of my bed at night would be a whole nother battle) but can I discourage him from seeking negative attention especially before I get up in the morning? In the evenings he also wants to be fed but I'm usually sitting or playing with him so he's not as annoying. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment so he isn't maybe getting as much exercise as might be ideal, but I do interact with him a lot when I'm at home and awake. Thanks!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry HIGHLY approves of the new automatic feeder. We'll see if he knocks off being a dick in the morning though

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OK, Terry is all about the automatic feeder and being-a-dick incidents are down 80%! Thank you all for spurring me to do this, it will really improve my relationship with him because I won't be shoving him away so drat much. :)

I also got a Catit water fountain that he's super uninterested in. I have tried the different configurations which make the water flow differently, but no matter what he prefers drinking still water from a bowl. Which is what he's done all his life of course, so how do I convince my cat that he is a cat and should prefer moving water?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My stupid cat has figured out how to knock over his auto-feeder, which is startling to my downstairs neighbors and self-defeating because it won't feed him then! But he just won't listen. Can I weight this thing down, or tie it down, in some way that he won't destroy?

Normally the plug and wires are covered up by the feeder, so I'm less worried about him getting at them if he can't knock the whole thing over.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I had a similar situation with a flower vase the cat kept spilling over. I have some butyl caulk for car stuff and happen to know that gojo hand cleaner dissolves it away fully despite it being super messy and sticky otherwise. Butyl caulk stays sticky and deformable forever so you can keep re-using the same potentially pre-stretched or flattened blob of it left on the same spot. I just stuck some of that to our glass table where the vase goes and it's impossible to knock down now. Whenever I need to lift the vase to refill it I just slowly peel it off (it damps out fast movements but slowly can be pulled just fine). If we ever want to relocate the vase, a coat of GOJO hand cleaner over the spot wiped off after an hour will take the mess away without a trace. I use it to stick all sorts of things to walls, etc.

This is the exact product I use for all my miracle gluing / fastening needs around the house.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/extruded-butyl-rope-ebr

The correct GOJO: https://www.amazon.com/Gojo-1115-ORIGINAL-FORMULA-Cleaner/dp/B00065TST8

It being rope is convenient because it's almost solid and you can just keep ripping small pieces off the rope and unrolling it as you need forever. Just store the roll somewhere where it won't lay on any fabric or anything or it will gradually sink in like silly putty and you'll need solvents to get the stain out.

Thanks, I will try this stuff and see if it holds the feeder down. He's gotten really efficient at knocking it over -- the power of positive thinking, I guess?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I figured out how to get Terry to leave the feeder alone: I shoved two small pieces of furniture on either side, so he can't spin it around and pull it down. In other thrilling Terry progress, apparently the trick to getting him to use the running water fountain was to put a treat in it. :catstare:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do hairball treats actually do much to control hairballs? Terry loves his Greenies dental treats so I'd try the "stop vomiting hairballs dammit" variety.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I scoop out solids every day and try to change the litter every 2 or 3 weeks, seems to work fine with 1 cat

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

kaworu posted:

Oh god I am sooo sorry for the length of this post. I just wanted to get it out. I've had so much intense stress and anxiety about losing Jackie all month and it has been so awful. It's really nice to see her so happy - going outside again and getting to roam free. And she purrs more and smiles more and cuddles more and is more playful and lively and cute now. It is SO adorable - and it makes me so, so goddamn happy that I did not go through with giving her away,

So um, yeah. Thanks for reading if you stuck with this and sorry for going on. I just... came very very close to making what would have been an awful mistake and it still makes me scared.
PS Please excuse any punctuation or grammatical errors or forgotten prepositions or nouns or incomplete sentences....

I'm glad you got to keep her! Having Terry around has been a big factor in my life getting better; it was super stressful not seeing him for a year while my mom was taking care of him out-of-state. And he's happy in my new place too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pixelante posted:

Anyone successfully dieted one cat and not another? Snowflake is sleek, but Ethics is turning into a pudge.

Microchip cat feeder? Expensive but easier than feeding Snowflake alone twice a day!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry the wonder cat has been pissing in the apartment again, seemingly spraying in protest. Unfortunately I can't even figure out what the protest was about this morning -- a profound hatred of non-Daylight Savings Time, perhaps? I thoroughly clean the spots with enzyme cleaner and he's not hitting the same targets more than once anyway. It might be as simple as cleaning his litter more frequently (I already scoop it out daily) so I'm really just venting here but drat this is frustrating.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Noodle :(

A noble life for a creature with such a silly name.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

wandler20 posted:

What are you guys using for litter? I have 2 kittens and reviews seem to be all over the place.

Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter. I think from a tip on here. Mainly it clumps nicely and doesn't track into the rest of my apartment.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

what's my best recourse in dealing with litter dust? moving has made me realize just how much everything has a fine coat of litter dust on it. right now we use fresh step lightweight and clean the box twice a day.

A litter mat helps a lot, if you put it somewhere where the cat has to step on it to get out of the litter box. I use Dr. Elsey's litter too, which doesn't track as much, but doesn't control smells as well as some litter.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This morning Terry started retching while on my bed, and I didn't get to it in time. I consider myself lucky it was just a hairball, because I'm way too used to living with a stupid little monster.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has anyone with the ArfPets automatic feeder been able to repair it? Mine abruptly started dispensing very little food, even though I can tell the motor is running to push food out of the spout. I've taken all the food out and tried to clear any clogs but that didn't fix it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My friend's cat is good

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry is abruptly refusing to eat his Science Diet dry food. Nothing in his environment has changed and he's still friendly as ever and is drinking water and using the litter box properly. When I give him some wet food he goes nuts for it so I can tell he's getting hungry, but what's wrong with the old food? Just cat being cat?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

effika posted:

Might be nauseated or in pain. Our cat will eat only high-value treats when her pancreatitis flare ups are at their worst. She's still hungry, but can't be bothered to really make an effort for anything that isn't worth it. Thank goodness one of her favorite treats is just Science Diet T/D (the dental food) so she's getting some nutrients.

Also our cat had a bad tooth once and wouldn't eat dry food before we figured it out. She hid it very well.

I'd give the vet a call. It could just be that Terry is a Cat, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks, guess I'll take him in Monday because most clinics are closed right now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dammit, why is it so hard to get a vet appointment on the weekend? I don't think Terry's at the point where I need to take him to the 24 hour hospital -- he's still eating some of his wet food -- but I'd like to have him seen today. Oh well, just venting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry spent the day at the vet, where they did some bloodwork and a pancreatitis test and gave him subcutaneous fluids because he was a little dehydrated. They gave me a topical appetite stimulant (actually an antidepressant!) and some pain pills. Terry really really does not want to swallow the pills -- I can with great effort get a pill in his mouth but failed to get him to swallow one. Fortunately I can open the capsules and dump the medication into his wet food, which he's still going for somewhat.

Really hoping the meds do their thing and he feels better! Cat tax follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terry seems to be enthusiastically eating again! Maybe the pain pills and appetite stimulant did it but either way I'm quite happy about it.