Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My 14-year-old orange tabby is showing no interest in food. He's acting normal and had diarrhea last night. We're getting him to a vet tomorrow.

He has feline hyperesthesia so I'm hoping his stomach is just a little upset from the hair he's constantly eating.

King of my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Cat has now pooped normal poop but still not yet interested in food. Trying not to obsess because he is otherwise acting normal.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Do cats pee at the same time they poop? Or is it possible that they can poop and not pee simultaneously (a feat that I can't imagine doing personally)?

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, I just want to know so I can monitor the situation accurately.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Okay cool, thank you.

He isn't straining or yowling. I just did a complete litter change-out earlier and didn't think to check.

If I palpate the bladder area he doesn't act upset, he just gives me a WTF look.

I just wish he'd eat, he's freaking me out. He did chew on some dianthus earlier yesterday. I hope that's all it is.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He's been licking the gravy off of his Fancy Feast. I will open up some more when I get home. He also ate a third of his meal this morning. I am taking this seriously for sure.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He's eating gravy. I also force fed him some tuna cubes. He's attacking the gravy and is interested in food when I open cans, but he never goes for the solids.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He ate a good portion of some Friskies, which has relieved me. He also had a bit more diarrhea. Will report what the vet says.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
The vet says the cat may just have a sensitive stomach. She is doing bloodwork and will know more tomorrow. He vomited up what looked like tapeworm segments. I brought them in and she said they don't look like tapeworm segments to her... That confused the hell out of me. They look identical to what you see when you GIS tapeworm segments.

He still isn't very interested in food.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I feel like my vet railroaded me. They didn't seem concerned about my cat's loss of appetite, said he probably had gastroenteritis and did a blood test. They were going to administer a hydration shot but they moroningly pit him near another cat when they were going to inject him so he hulked outand wouldn't let them do any more than take blood.

They had no interest in what I said about him normally coughing up a big hairball once a week.

Anyway, awaiting blood test and will probably take him to another vet.

Anyone here know what to look for in terms of assessing hairball blockage?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

My cat just went through something like this so everything is of course exactly his diagnosis.

I thought my cat just threw up hairballs regularly, but he may have inflammatory bowel disease since like basically forever. He suddenly had no interest in solid food, but would lick up canned food liquid then vomit it up later. Anti-nausea medicines did nothing to stop vomiting either. He lost almost 2 pounds in a week.

My vet would squeeze Harold's intestine to see if he had any blockages or pain, which Harold didn't. Harold eventually got an ultrasound which showed inflamed intestines, then led to the corticosteroid and antibiotic shots. The shots were less than a 24 hour turn around for him to go from not moving to begging for food after a harrowing week of getting worse and worse.

So get an ultrasound machine I guess.

We are scheduling an ultrasound.

The blood work said he has tons of white blood cells, so we are worried it's lymphoma. That's what the shittier vet said. We're waiting for the better vet (who we should have gone to first) to call us with their opinion.

edit: did you cat have elevated white blood cells? I'm assuming the worst, of course, so I am prepared for it, but I'd like to know.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

My cat just went through something like this so everything is of course exactly his diagnosis

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This sounds like exactly what we went through with Rexie :smith:

Thank you both for sharing! This at least gives me hope it's not necessarily instant death that awaits him. Ultrasound is scheduled.

In the meantime I am babying the cat and I made a new extra-long cat-fishing pole for garden usage and he is losing his mind playing :unsmith:

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Reality posted:

No, all his blood work and temperature and everything were normal. He wouldn't/couldn't eat, was extremely dehydrated from vomiting and wouldn't move. I'm glad your guy is playing and happy.

Ah I see. Welp.

He's not playing today, he seems uncomfortable. Still eating, but he is loafing in the dark. Heavy sigh.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
The cat is now super lethargic and no longer interested in sitting in his chair in the sunny courtyard I AM LOSING MY MIND

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Boogalo posted:

I wish I could help somehow :( Why does this stuff always happen on the weekend when the vets are closed.

Yeah, exactly! And thank you.

He's perked up a bit. He is eating a lot more and also I took him to a different yard for him to explore and he got excited and stalked around. Still, I do hate when he delicately loafs and settles down because it's such a sign that something is wrong. In any event he's currently infuriating me by wanting inside and outside, so at least that's normal <3

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Turns out my cat has no tumors! The vet isn't sure if he has weirdass inflammatory bowel or an invisibly small carcinoma. We'll keep an eye on him, but death is not imminent!

He's back on mole duty for now.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My cat has gained like a pound in a day, wtf. He's acting normal, not breathing heavily. This is the day after he was sedated and had to go without eating for his ultrasound.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
He did stuff himself silly with dry food when he got home. Also he had no tumors and his organs were deemed fine, minus some iffy thickening in part of his large intestine

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Awesome. So it sounds like he has a far less severe instance of Rexie's condition. Seems like he had a flare-up so he lost his appetite for a bit. Rexie's gets bad enough to interfere with vitamin absorption, so giving her a B12 supplement also did wonders for her mood, that and a hydrolyzed protein food might be worth looking into.

Thanks everybody!

The vet is recommending oral steroids for his IBD. Anyone have experience with those? Or reservations about them?

We are planning to give ol' Cosmo B12 shots, too.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My cat is now roided out. His velvet jellybean testicles will probably get even smaller.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Has anyone heard about a Friskies recall?

I have seen a few posts on Nextdoor where people are giving away Friskies because it makes their cat vomit. Same thing happened with my cat (and now my cat has mysterious scar tissue and thickening in his large intestine/colon that the vet can't figure out where it came from).

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Hey, just adopted a five-year-old cat from a volunteer animal rescue organization. He has had diarrhea a bunch (I've only had him 12 days) and today there's a drop of blood in it (happy to link pic).

I'm calling the vet when they open, but does anyone have any idea what it might be? He's acting relaxed and playing with my other cat. Still interested in food, etc. The first time I took him to the vet they gave him probiotics and tested for parasites (none in his poo).

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

JaneError posted:

My cat had diarrhea a couple months ago and a few days in there was blood in it. Doc said that as long as it was just a tiny bit, it was probably just his butthole being a little raw/irritated (probiotics fixed it—pumpkin is also a good bet). Obviously if it keeps up take him in but there’s a good chance it’s just an unfortunate side effect of the sad poops and not indicative of anything bigger.

Thank you for the info! I hate to put you in this position, but here is the sad poop: https://i.imgur.com/Yf4Ec8v.jpg

Is that what you consider a lot of blood?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I got a cat from a shelter and he's had diarrhea the whole time I've had him. I've taken him to the vet several times. Here's what we've tried:

-Changing diet (several different types, each for a week. He's currently on hydrolized protein)
-Steroids (prednisolone)
-Probiotics

They tested him for parasites and fungal infection (negative on both) and gave him an ultrasound to check for signs of IBD. The vet has moved forward saying to act on the assumption that he has IBD, even though there was nothing definitive on the ultrasound.

Does anyone know what to look into regarding a cat that has treatment-resistant diarrhea? We're pretty baffled.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey you tried changing his food? Maybe he has an allergy. Find out exactly what he was being fed at the shelter and switch to that (assuming he didn't have diarrhea at the shelter).

Edit: oops, I see you did try that, sorry. Still, if he didn't have these issues at the shelter, find out what they were feeding him.

We are of one mind - that was my first step!

I think some of his problem was stress (when I first got him his poo was neon orange, now it's brown). But now he seems lovey and happy. Our other cat occasionally bullies him, but I doubt that stress alone would cause such a chronic problem, not to mention I kept him in a separate part of the house for weeks when I first got him. Though I'd be willing to try anxiety meds, I guess. We're going to construct a catio for him since he loves being outside (and the other cat doesn't).

I just love the little guy. He's a tragic character, he had ringworm, has a slashed up eye, and is so dumb I kind of wonder if he needs a helmet. Hopefully he's not also dying from gut rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone here ever make a chainlink cat enclosure? I'm planning on building one and was wondering if there are any drawbacks.