Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

I'm about 90% sure that I have an allergy to (at least) cats. The first 19 years of my life I was around 2-3 dogs pretty much all the time at my parent's house with absolutely no effects, but after a few years living away from home now when I'm around cats at friend's houses my eyes start to water, I sneeze more, and my breathing becomes tougher. Usually it starts with light wheezing and works its way up to labored breathing until I get away from the area.

Even when I go home to see my parents it happens a little bit, which is especially annoying.

If I take some generic claritin then most of these effects don't occur.

In two weeks I'm moving to a new apartment. I'd like to get a pet because this apartment will be MUCH closer to my place of work, so getting home won't be a big deal (5 minute bike ride), and the pet won't be home alone for long stretches like they would have been in my current place.

Dogs aren't allowed in the complex, unfortunately.

I'd like to give a cat a try, but I'm worried about my allergies making it hell to live with. My questions are:

1. Are some cats less allergy-causing than others? I doubt this is the case because 5 minutes of reading tells me the issue is their saliva, not the dander/hair as I originally thought.

2. Are there medications that I could take to mitigate the effects of the cat? I could just take this claritin stuff every day (each pill lasts 24 hours), but I'd rather not do that if there's a better option.

3. What's the chance that I would "get used to" the cat, and have less of an allergic effect after a while of heavy medicating?

4. Am I crazy? Is this something that there's no way around, and I need to get some fish instead?

Thanks.

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Here's a video of my new kitty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnndbDb4D8

He's 5 months old, and the only annoying thing about him (besides his constant eat -> poo poo activity) is that he always tries to bite my hand/fingers when I'm petting him. He'll usually let me pet or scratch for a few seconds then tries to swat me away and then bite.

Now, realistically it's still day two so I don't expect him to instantly stop doing this, but what can I do to at least make it less frequent?

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

My kitten's tooth just fell out. We were playing before bed and he went to bite my finger and stuck to it after he pulled away was a hard white thing that looked like a tooth. I pulled his mouth open and sure enough there's a bloody socket where I assume it used to be.

Is this normal? He's nearly 6 months old.

Here's some more photos of him:

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

This was after I gave him a bath tonight. My allergies are going to require this happen pretty much every other week, so he might as well start getting used to the misery of water.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

Free feeding is cool for kittens because they have tiny tummies and therefore need to eat more often in order to get the calories they need. You should probably transition them to 3 meals a day when they are 5-6 months old, then to 2 if you want once they are a year old. Some cats can free feed without turning into tubbos but a lot can't so meals are probably going to be best for them.

My cat is 6 months old and I feed him twice a day: once in the morning he gets some dry food and then in the evening he gets half a can of tiki cat. At first he would eat all the dry food in the morning and freak out when I got home from work since he hadn't eaten in hours, but now he seems to have learned to pace himself; there's usually some food in the bowl all day.

Am I feeding him too little, though? I can only feed him in the mornings and evenings, usually at 8:30am and 7:30pm.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

Probably asked a million times, but how to I get my cat to stop using my chair for a scratching post? I've tried the obvious idea of putting the actual scratching post next to the chair, but he seems to like the chair better.

Put double sided tape where the cat is scratching. They don't like it and will go looking for other things to scratch, hopefully the tree you said you already have.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 26, 2012

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 26, 2012