Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just got a second kitten today. We wanted another one for our other cat, since she's been a bit of a biter, and we wanted to get her company. This new kitten (we named her Dina) was a former feral, that was tamed. She's very sweet, and likes to cuddle up with me. We still haven't gotten to introducing her.

Here my questions: she's about 5 weeks old. Should there be anything I should be getting her besides regular kitten food? She seems a bit bloated in the stomach.

Also, are there any other worries I should be looking into? She seems to be doing great otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PolarKitt posted:

Who gave you a 5 week old kitten? Shelters don't let kittens go until at least the first vaccination, either way is your other cat up to date on vaccinations? Since the new little one won't be old enough until 9 weeks, the bloated stomach shouldn't be anything to worry about if the kitten is otherwise lively and happy but you'll have to go to a vets for flea and worming since over the counter stuff isn't made for kittens that young which I do suggest as I can't imagine any organization giving someone a 5 week old would know that they need vet worming and fleaing, I'm not having a go of any kind, just curious as to who tamed it then decided 5 weeks was old enough for a new home that already had a cat.

Obviously if you come in contact with any non-vaccinated cats or cats you're not sure about you need to be being careful, using hand sanitizer before handling her when you get home just to be on the safe side until she's old enough for her shots.

We didn't get her through a shelter, which would explain things. She's happy and usually pretty playful (sleeps a lot, though I imagine this is part of being a kitty). My other cat is up to date on her vaccinations, however. I might take her to the vet to do worming / fleas, then.

Should I be giving her any kind of KMR milk at her age?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PolarKitt posted:

I assumed not but even so who was looking after her before you got her? Or was it a more she needed to go NOW so you take her, just curious although I'm glad she'd got a home, pictures now please :3:

If she's eating biscuits I wouldn't worry about KMR, you could get some and mix the biscuits in with a little of it if you want to give her a little extra something to help her bulk up and help it go down a little easier but I'd recommend a vets visit first and foremost just to make sure the stomach isn't bloated due to worms which is likely because the mother I'm assuming was a stray which means she likely had worms which means that it's about 80% likely the kitten has had worms from birth since as I said, only vets have products for Kittens that young.

All I can really think of now is that to make sure she's either on specific kitten food or a food that states it's made for all age groups equally, she'll want the nutrients out of a kitten made food, especially seeing how young she is and wet/canned/pouched food is always good for kittens, try not to let her free feed or if you do don't fill her bowl up all the way, Kittens that young will just eat and eat even if they're not hungry so if possible go by the feeding recommendations even if she's yowling for food or that'll become a habit, bowl is empty? Must go scream at owner.

I had Wolverine from about 4-5 weeks from some idiot who'd bought him at around 3-4 weeks old and was confused why he wasn't eating or moving much :v: He yowled if I didn't put food next to him 24/7 so he yowled a lot because I didn't want to reinforce that behaviour, at around 8 weeks he stopped and I let him free feed since he'd learnt to control his intake and that the food wasn't going anywhere so he didn't need to eat it ALL RIGHT NOW and now all 7 free feed and they're good healthy sizes, nice and slim but in no way underweight. It does depend on the cat though, if she turns out that being free fed she gets fatter and fatter, stop because you really don't want her developing diabetes, I only mention it because there's a thread about a kitty with it at the moment because the wife was trained to fill up the bowl.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the caretaker needed her gone ASAP. We wanted a second kitten, so we took it.

I've been having her free eat from a bowl, so I'll limit her intake going forward. I noticed that her stools have been a little soft (still formed) and somewhat yellow. If it doesn't clear up by then, I'll take her to the vet - which I'll probably do sooner rather than later to get her checked for worms.

Here's a picture of her:

I woke up with her sitting on top of me :3: She's adjusted very well to people. She's actually sitting upright on my leg as I type this. Now I just need to get my other cat, Chloe, to like her. I may have done the supervised visit too early. Chloe did a lot of growling and hissing while Dina sat there doing nothing almost with that innocent "what did I do wrong?" look. I'm trying to have them eat together on opposite sides of a door, having the other cat smell the traveling case, etc. Chloe isn't even a year old yet, so I imagine she's still young enough to get used to another cat.

edit: here's Chloe, my other cat. She's about ~6 months old:

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 29, 2011

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Had my new kitty (we decided to name her Molly) taken to the vet today. Other than getting her de-wormed (which I've noticed has made her tummy seem less bloated), she's a perfectly healthy 7-week old kitten.

Now it's just booster shots in a week or two.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Questions about new cat (or kitten) integrating with resident cats:

I've had Chloe (the resident cat, ~6 months old) and our new kitten, Molly (~8 weeks) slowly getting to know each other. I've had the door open while they eat so they get to know each other, and have had small visitations. Chloe would hiss and growl a bit, but it *seems* as if it's gotten better.

Last night, we took it to the next level. I've been worried about them interacting, since Molly is so tiny. We had them on a supervised visit, and they ended up doing a little "chase the other cat around" type thing. Chloe wasn't growing or hissing (unless we petted her while she was in the middle of the chase), and both cats seemed to be okay. There was swiping at each other, but no claws. It was actually pretty hilarious. As soon as one turned around and started walking away, the other would pounce on the other.

My question is: are we going in the right direction here? Or have I just unraveled all the small build-up to get to this point? They obviously aren't to the point where they'll chill and sleep together, but I feel like this is going well.

edit: here's my original post with pictures: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=131#post398086471

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So one of my cats has had inflamed gums that we've had her in and out of the vet for. She got prednisolone for awhile, but it wasn't helping too much. The vet thought she had stomatitis, and get suggested a dental cleaning. We got her a dental cleaning today (which hurts the money book, I should say), and the vet just called saying that they'll need to extract 2 impacted teeth :(

Anyone dealt with Stomatatis? Any treatment you know besides total teeth removal that has worked? Am I going to have to feed her wet food from now on? It wouldn't be too much of an issue except our other cat is a total fatty and pushes her out of the way when eating so it just means feeding them in separate rooms.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a 1 1/2 year old female all black cat that used to be feral, but was tamed as a kitten. While she's sweet, and loves to sleep on our lap, she's been having an issue of chewing up a ton of stuff. It's been really bad lately. She's always had a knack for chewing on cardboard boxes, but now she's jumped up on our counter, and chewed our betta fish food package (twice!), tore up our paper towels, and now she's gotten a hold of my girlfriend's headphones, and tore up the cord. She's also had a habit of tearing up the corners of our carpet. My girlfriend is fed up with our stuff getting destroyed and wants to get rid of her (though it was her idea to get her, of course). I still really like the cat aside from her destructive behavior. We give her lots of toys, and got her a cat climber. Is there anything we can possibly do to curb this destructive behavior?

Edit: we tried feliway, no success. We also cap her claws, but she ends up tearing them out. She always seems hungry, too, so we got one of the food bowls that make a cat reach to get the food first.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 6, 2013

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Slickdrac posted:

Get her some toys and things to chew on. This is a pretty normal phase for a young cat. You may have to go through a few options to find something she'll prefer over the rest of the house.

Any suggestions on toys? We have a lot of them, but she seems to ignore playing with them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll see if I can find something she can sink her teeth into (with catnip). Maybe I can find something to get her to stop jumping on the counters as well.

I'm just worried that she's consistently hungry and always crying for food unless she has some at easy, yet she's getting pretty heavy as it is already. When she has food she's pretty content.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever heard of a cat having extreme reactions to rabies vaccines? A friend of mine texted me that her car is vomiting black vile and is lethargic from it. She has no money and can't afford an emergency vet :( is there anything to do?

Edit: the cat is 2 years old but has had medical problems: stomatitis and IBD. Her immune system is real bad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Jesus she can call the vet who gave it the shot at least?

She did. The vet told her to wait on it (not the best advice?) but the cat is doing a lot better this morning. Really weird to have such a reaction from a vaccine.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A couple weeks ago, the Seattle Humane Society had a free adoption weekend. My current cat, Molly, has been a little bit of a poo poo. It was understandable, since when my ex and I broke up, we separated two cats. I decided it was time to get Molly a friend, so I picked up this little guy:

Meet Raiden. Sweet little guy. He's literally attacking the screen now as I write this. When I got him, he had an upper respiratory infection with some goop in his, which is common in shelter cats. Doc gave me some clavamox and eye drops to administer for a week. That's done and he's much better (still a little sneezing but nothing like it was in the first few days). I also introduced him to Molly, and in less than a week, this happened:

(pardon the instragram filter. My roommate took this)

I've never had two cats get along so quickly. Molly has been much calmer lately too!

Only problem is now Molly is sneezing and has a bit of a runny nose with some goop in her eyes now :( she must have caught Raiden's cold.

My question: should I give her some of the antibiotics that I got for Raiden? I still have some left. Same with the eye drops. And should I be isolating them as well? I don't know if the cold can 'volley' between the two of them. She's still eating, drinking and everything. Though she's a bit sleepier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, I have an overweight cat named Molly, and I'm trying to figure out ways to get her to lose weight. She's 3 1/2, all indoor, and about 15 lbs. She has a sibling, a younger bro named Raiden.

I bought the natural balance reduced calorie formula to start feeding them last month. She hasn't lost any weight yet, but I know part of it is that when she gets bored, she starts crying for food. I would like to try to play with her more to tire her out, but very little toys interest her. The only toy she seems to have some interest in is fake mice, and it takes me a lot of prodding to get her interested. Laser pointers, feather tails on a string, and other toys give her little to no interest (she might bat at them when they're close to her, but she certainly won't chase them). Raiden on the other hand, will chase any toy. He almost interferes too much when I'm trying to play with Molly.

She really likes to start biting / scratching stuff at the night to wake me up to go do things for her (either feed her or bug her). Sadly, I've established a bad habit of waking up for her, and if I don't wake it up, she will start to scratch my carpet until I move. Ugh. And now I can't fall asleep.

So here's my predicament: I have a somewhat bored cat but is too hipster to play with mainstream toys, and as a result, she eats as an outlet. I'm starting to limit her food as much as possible (it's hard to feed the cats separately since Raiden never eats right as I feed them - I rarely see him eat so I assume he eats while I'm at work, but he's a normal 11-12 lbs and a very active cat so I'm not concerned). Any tips here? Is there any way to get a cat interested in toys that aren't fake mice? I've also read that it's a good idea to feed them wet food since that has more protein, and maybe that will satisfy her appetite.

Here's a photo of them, Molly is all black, and Raiden is the hitlercat:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone use automatic cat feeders? I've had my cats on a diet on a diet, and sometimes I'm gone long enough to not give them two small meals. I've used this in the past: https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-eatwe...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds but it's broken now (battery won't hold in it's slot) and is basically a glorified food bowl now.

I'd rather not just give them a bunch of food to munch on for when I leave for longer than a day.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was wondering how many of you have had experiences with cats with blocked urinary tracts, specifically male cats. I just got my cat back from the vet after a 2nd blockage this month :( he had one right before Christmas and literally the day he goes back for his 2nd follow up, he plugs up again. They didn't start him on the urinary diet the first time he came home, this time they did. He's been eating it, so that's good. Some questions:

1. I have 2 cats. They way I fed them both was an auto feeder. With the other still on her own food, am I screwed to a life of feeding them separately? Is there high risk to blocking again if he snags a few bites of my other cat's dry food?
2. My cat is highly stressed, which the vet seems to think contributed to his blocking. I'm getting feliway in the mail tomorrow, but I honestly don't know how to to de-stress him. I leave the window available for him to peer out, he's got a tree, and he's been fine in this place for a year now.
3. He hides under the bed now, but I'll pull him out to medicate him, pet him, then he realizes how much he loves pets, then the slightest agitation (sound, movement, etc) freaks him out and he's back under the bed.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way going forward. I'll give him wet food for the next month at least, per the vet's orders, but it's gonna be tough since I'm not always home.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Synthbuttrange posted:

1. As long as the bulk of his food is urinary maintenence, he should be okay. If he's on urinary dissolution, feed that 100% til the course runs out. Yeah I have two cats, one had blockages so I had to give up the auto-feeder and just do manual feeding.

2. Why is your cat stressed? Having lots of hidey-holes helps cats feel more comfortable.

1. My vet gave me 24 cans of the royal canin urinary stuff, so I'll try to give it to him for awhile. At least for a month like the vet reccomends.

2. He just has a personality that's... on edge. He doesn't get along well with humans that aren't me, for whatever reason. I socialized him a lot as a kitten, but no luck now. He has spots under my bed that I let him sulk to. It wasn't a big deal until this all started happening too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thin Privilege posted:

Does he have urinary crystals? There’s a specific RC food for that and it saved one of my cats who was blocked and hence couldn’t pee.

Petsmart carries all prescription food so just get a prescription note from your doctor and give it to Banfield (the store has to have a Banfield in it); it’s waaaaaay easier to get special prescription food versus getting it from the vet. Also, you have to keep your catte on this food for their life otherwise the crystals will come back. The prescription food is called S/O, and it has 2 types of dry food and also canned food, which they love. It IS more expensive than like IAMS etc but it’s super important so your cat doesn’t have blockages again.

related, when my cat got blocked. I IMMEDIATELY knew what was wrong with the cat—crystals. This is due to this threads OP; I took him to the ER immediately. Thank you guys so much. *much love*

As proof that the prescription food works, my cat has no more crystals. I also have a cat who had low state kidney failure but I got him the prescription kidney food and he’s completely healthy, not there no sign of any kidney failure anymore (based on blood work from my vet of course)

Yeah, he had a lot of crystals. The first time I took him in, they thought it was bacterial since there was bacteria and blood in his urine, and didn't have me start him on the diet. I'm a little annoyed about that since I feel like I could have avoided a trip if we started that earlier.

I'm fine keeping him on the diet, I'm just concerned about what to do with my other cat. I usually left her food out for her, but I don't want him stealing her food, since he's already been looking for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Huntersoninski posted:

You may need to try to teach them not to graze. Ozma and Pizza used to need to eat separately for the same reason, he was on Urinary SO and she wasn't (now they both are on the Rx but she's a bully and will eat his share if we don't continue to feed them separately). Oz used to be a grazer and it took her about a week to learn that when we shut her in a room with her food, she had to finish it all at once or wait til the next meal. We gave her 30 minutes. It's an extra hassle but eventually becomes routine, maybe something like that will work?

I thought their grazing habit would go away when I got them an auto feeder, but no luck yet. I think they'll learn to eat all their food in one setting if I do this trick though. The issue is that Molly (the not sick one) gets hungry really quickly and starts acting out for food if it's not available.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thin Privilege posted:

Start a feeding schedule if you don’t already have one. If one cat needs prescription food you can’t have them eat others’ food. What I do is I separate them in different rooms when I feed them. Don’t leave the food out because the regular food will cause the crystals to come back.

E: sorry I missed your post about the other cat acting out. They’ll stop eventually or if they don’t you’ll have to just ignore it/say no/etc. They have to be fed separately cause your cats health is more important than their cat-ness needs (as much as we love them).

So far so good on the feeding schedule. I'm just worried because I'll be gone for a week on vacation in 2 weeks. I'll have someone come over but they'll probably only be over once a day. My hope is that I can use the urinary dry food, bite the bullet and let my healthy cat eat it as well. I want to do this in a way that doesn't bankrupt me paying for a sitter.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you have the budget for it, the microchip activated cat feeders will keep the right cat to the right food. It is a pricey solution though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2xEmMmYfBs

That's amazing. The only issue is one of my cat is chipped and the other isn't :(

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 18, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My cat keeps pissing in corners in our house. We have a litterbox inside and in the garage. If he does this one more time I'm returning him to the shelter because I will not force this cat to live outside. I need to know what to do to stop this because I love this cat too much.

How often are you cleaning the box? Maybe try moving it to a different spot, or try feliway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea why, but ever since my cat came back from an 2 night stay at the vet to get his bladder cleaned out, he's become much friendlier with other people. I've only seen him warm up to one person besides me. He used to ignore my cat-agnostic girlfriend, now he hops up on her lap and nuzzles her in the face :3:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BabyFur Denny posted:

He's kissing rear end because he's worried he'll go back to that horrible vet if he doesn't behave

I was thinking that or he felt he had a near death experience and being nice to people that aren't me is actually more enjoyable than being a prick to them. Poor guy doesn't realize that he has to go to the vet next week for a follow up, but this time the doctor gave me meds to get him drunk before the visit :catdrugs:

Edit: since you asked, pictures:

He appears to have forgotten how to sit on a couch

Trying to fit into a scratching box he's too big to fit into.

Cat's name is Raiden. Has a sister named Molly.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 22, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat Molly meows a lot, mainly because she's hungry, or that she hasn't seen me in awhile. She's a very vocal cat in general. They're very loud, stout meows. Raiden, on the other hand has a pathetic but lovable "purrow" sound. He loves to roll his Rs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Darksidepsy posted:

My cat has pancreatitis. I've already spent 2k on vet visits and they have mentioned euthanasia.

They believe with fluids we can get her through this episode. She's very lethargic currently. But I don't know much about pancreatitis other than what I've read online very briefly.

I can't afford to keep bringing her in and paying 300$ a visit. There is no cure. At any point soon she could take a down turn and she will be gone. On paper it seems like an easy choice. But I just can't do it. I'm not ready to lose her. But then I feel so selfish, guilty and I just don't know what to do...

I'm really sorry, that's the worst call to have to make :( has the vet mentioned how much longer she has if she makes it through the episode?

I think a general rule of thumb is if the cat isn't in pain, give them as much love as you can until their last days. If they are in pain and there's no cure, then it's time. I know financially it's a huge drain too. I blew $3000 in a month getting my cat's bladder blockage cleared twice.

I wish I could give you an answer but there aren't any easy ones, unfortunately :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jerome Louis posted:

My Petunia was just diagnosed with IBD, we've spent $3k in the last two weeks getting her checked out and hospitalized two different times. Now the course of action is to give her Prednisolone and a special hydrolyzed RX diet. Does anyone have experience with this with their cat? Did they end up OK? Petunia is approx. 9 years old (she was a neighborhood stray when we took her in around 4 years ago, don't know age for sure) and has been very healthy up to now, when she started throwing up all day and eventually started throwing up a little blood. We just got her back from the vet after a two night stay and she is eating her rx food and being sleepy. Anyone have luck with probiotics or anything like that?

I once had a cat who had a mixture of stomatitis and IBD. We fed her a limited ingredient diet, which got her to stop having diarrhea. Had to slowly remove her teeth for stomatitis too, poor thing. But overall she was mostly healthy with those in play. I'm not sure how she's doing now since my ex took her when we broke up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
On top of what others said, maybe invest in a feliway diffuser and put it in the room he's going to be in. That makes a world of difference for my cats.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of my cats prefers dry food to wet, and the other prefers wet to dry (granted, she eats literally anything). Sadly, dry food cat needs to eat wet food as he needs more hydration (urine crystals) and my other cat eats reduced calorie food. As soon as they're done eating they run to each other's eating spots to try and find scraps.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the issues with cats are kind of ones we create. For example, cats with urine crystals are probably from only eating dry food and they aren't drinking enough water because they don't think they need to. If they were hunting live prey, there would be plenty of hydration in a dead carcass than in dehydrated dry food. But hey, dry food is super convenient!

Same with stress from being indoors. Cats that act out generally aren't stimulated enough by the environment provided for them.

Granted, this isn't to say we should let cats out, since there's a lot worse things out there to hurt them (disease, cars, wild predatory animals etc) but them being inside certainly presents a different set of problems.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I took Raiden in for his follow up appointment. Good news is he has no urine crystals, so the new food is working! Bad news is during the course of the checkup, the vet heard a slight heart murmur. Vet suggested that since it was so mild the best course of action would be to monitor it and check in his next yearly exam. How worried should I be? I've never dealt with heart issues in animals.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Called the vet because his eye looked a bit hazy and more reflective than normal, and the vet said that was probably BECAUSE of the meds

This has been a saga of a lot of fretting over very little, so here is a cute picture of my cats

Hi did you steal my cats?? I'd like them back, please!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Beyond Satire posted:

I just adopted a lovely 2yo male tabby and he is settling in well.

The only difficulty I've had is with his collar. He hates it and has figured out its a break-away so he just ... breaks it off. He is an indoor only cat and has a micro chip. It feels like there are two options here: get a non-break-away collar and risk it or leave him collar-less.

On the off chance he escapes though that means someone has to take him to a vet to get the chip scanned as opposed to ringing the number on the tag on his collar. I was going with the latter option but I just popped out to take some garbage out and he bolted out the front door. I made a big noise and waved my arms about like a big idiot and he bolted back in the house but he just as easily could have bolted in the other direction. I live on a really busy road and it could have been ugly.

Is there another option? If not, what's the lowest risk here?

You could try using a ssscat to fear certain doors: https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Spray-Deterrent/dp/B000RIA95G my girlfriend is allergic to cats, and my cat doesn't know what personal space is, so I have to sleep with my door closed and them out. Soon enough they would scratch at the door, so I turned it on and soon enough they learned that closed door = don't go in, and open door is fine. You could probably do the opposite effect, maybe.

Some cats are impossible to train to wear a collar. One of my cats is okay wearing things but the other loses his mind.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have experience repairing cat tree perches? I've used one for a few years now, and they've become really wobbly to the point that they pop off if my cats jump on them with a lot of ferocity. I'm not sure if the answer is to just toss it or if they're salvageable.

This is the tree, for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005R4I7WM/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Synthbuttrange posted:

cat pee pee crystals is the worst give them all the water they want.

Seconding this. Even if you give them the water, they may not drink enough and still get pee crystals anyway :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

I got my cat a filtered water fountain and fill it with fresh water every day, but I can't exactly make him drink. How do I make sure he's getting enough fluids?

I just got one of these as well and set it up last night. One of my cats is drinking from it but the other stares suspiciously at it, and he's the one who needs to drink more water too...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been limiting the amount of food I've been giving my cats, and they are getting super hangry now. Like, they're always crazy meowing when I get home early for food (their normal feeding time is 6pm when their food clock goes off). I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm starving them or if this is just behavior I'm going to have to manage.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a good non-prescription food for cats with urine crystals? This came up on a search but I have no idea if it would do the trick:

https://www.chewy.com/wysong-uretic-dry-cat-food-5-lb-bag/dp/55339

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ILL Machina posted:

Most of them don't require prescriptions I don't think. I use the Royal canine UR wet food with just a teensy bit of their urinary SO dry food. Not the cheapest but way cheaper than that first vet visit was, and he's been a healthy boycat ever since we swapped him over.

The science diet the stuff my vet gave is prescription only. He only seems to be interested in dry food. Both cats been drinking a lot more water since I got a water fountain installed (their pee balls are huge and I see them lapping on the fountain water a lot now) so I don't feel as worried about him getting crystals if I do a less potent food, but I'll keep him on the prescription stuff till I find an acceptable alternate.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

veiled boner fuel posted:

It’s definitely an attention thing and not a food thing.

Thanks for the tips. Think I’ll try locking her in one of the bathrooms that has a litter box in it and leaving her there until 6:30 or 7. Thinking I should put water in it, but maybe not food?

Your cat sounds a lot like one of mine. She was a feral cat found by an owner running around their yard. Only 4 weeks old, and got socialized with adult cats. She's 6 now, exhibits destructive behavior (every drat cable I have contains some teeth marks on it). She's a sweetheart otherwise!

I've managed it at night by putting a ssscat at my bedroom door after I close it, so she won't claw my door. My other cat seems okay with it. I realize this may or may not work for you but it's something to think about.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Had to work from home yesterday, and took a video call in the morning with my team. Raiden starts meowing and jumps up on my lap begging for pets, causing everyone to laugh and tell me about my cool cat.

My dumb cat is now our team mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Now that my cats are used to their water fountain, they've been drinking from it like crazy :eyepop:

One side effect I'm noticing is that seems like they aren't eating as much? They still get excited over the auto feeder moving, but rather than chomping down all the food, they usually end up leaving some left that they graze on over the next hour. They seem fine otherwise. Does that seem normal? There's definitely some huge pee balls in the litter and not as much poo. One of my cats seemed to eat out of boredom so I'm wondering if the fountain is alleviating that.