Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

How is feeding kittens different from feeding adults in terms of amounts, timing, etc.? Do they need a different type of food than adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

tse1618 posted:

Those are fine, but these ones from LuckyPet are much cuter. :colbert:

Oh those are so cute. :3: Do they stay on very well though? It doesn't really show what kind of fastener they have.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Xerin posted:

Ok I have a question I haven't been able to get answered with google and then a question that I'd like to know about.

It's a 3-4 month old kitten that's currently on Innova. It's an indoor cat, but lives with a cat who likes to stay outside half an hour a day and sit under the porch and a dog who goes outside to poop.

Anyway.

1. The vet says for the entire life of the kitty I have to buy Multi Advantage. When we got him he had a ton of problems, fleas, mites, and worms and still has mites (we're putting 4 drops of tresaderm in his ears twice a day). It looks to be for fleas, worms, ticks, and mites but he's a mostly indoor cat. They said that I have to get it for every single month for the rest of its life.

I don't mind blowing $18 more a month on the kitty to keep it healthy, but if it's not needed then I don't want to bother. It doesn't hang outside but one cat does love to go outside and sit under the porch for a bit and paw at the doors to get back in after he's amused himself enough.

Oh and the kitty had mites cause we rescued him from a house where there were a lot of kittens in dire need of care.

2. The vet said soft paws don't work and come off easily and that declawing is the only option. She said that declawing comes standard when they neuter them and they prefer not to neuter without doing a declawing too and they rarely don't declaw cats. She also said trimming the nails won't work because they'll be sharp within a day, so you'd have to trim them everyday.

I can kind of tell that she's pushing the procedure for the money which I don't want to do or she's just stupid. The big thing is, I can get like 4-5 years worth of Soft Paws for a declaw and if they really do stick I'd prefer to do that. Can cats really sharpen their nails within a day?

So in summary, do I need to buy multiadvantage every month of the cats life and do soft paws work and can cats really sharpen their claws in a even after you trim them?

Declawing as a standard? What the fuuuuuuuuck? For the MONEY??? :psyduck: PLEASE get a second opinion.

Edit: Sorry, was too miffed to write anything useful.

My mom's cat is psychotic so she gets her claws trimmed at the vet. I think she has to do it every few weeks. So no, they certainly cannot resharpen them in a day.

I haven't used Soft Paws myself but people on the forums that use them have had good results it sounds like. I'd think that just keeping their claws trimmed would be less work but eh.

Why are you asking anyway? Is the cat ripping up stuff already (couches, people)? There are lots of ways to just train cats to not do naughty stuff so if you haven't exhausted those yet, I think there's some help for that posted in the FAQ.

I'd get a second opinion about the flea medicine too since this psycho seems to see your cat as little more than a furry dollar sign.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 25, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Xerin posted:

They have a combo package, you get charged more for the neuter if you don't do the declaw. It's like $60 for the neuter and $140 for the declaw or together as a package you get the neuter for $40 and the declaw for $120 (or $160 total saving you 40 bucks). They said it's hard to remember someone who doesn't get the combo because it just makes sense cost wise and it's the right thing to do for the animal.

She actually got testy with me when I said I didn't want to do it and would rather just cover them or trim them. The kitty doesn't mind if I expose his claws. He just looks at me while I press on them.

The cat isn't doing anything with the claws yet, but I live in a house with someone who doesn't want to run the risk of getting their furniture torn up and wants to be sure the cat doesn't start to shred curtains or sofas.

Wow, she seriously sounds messed up. Does she get off on cutting off little kitty toes or something? I'd go elsewhere. Fast.

Oh, and if you dido't know, declawing basically removes the last digit of their paws, which is like cutting off the tips of your fingers. Many view it as pretty goddamned inhumane. Lots of rescues and shelters won't allow a cat to be adopted out unless the owner agrees not to declaw it. Many countries around the world have made declawing illegal. It is great that you think your cat deserves to keep its paws whole though.

Pretty much every cat owner has to deal with the fact that the cat might think the couch looks like a cool scratching post. There are plenty of tools and techniques available that leave cat, owner and couch happy.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ChairmanMeow posted:

This vet is thread worthy, that is batshit

Yes, please post every crazy rear end thing she said, she sounds like a goldmine of horrible.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My boyfriend is planning on building a cat tree for our two new cats (well, they are kittens right now but hopefully they will make it to cathood). We've been thinking about all these super-elaborate plans with places to hide and jump around and whatnot but I'm not sure if the cats even want anything more than some elevated platforms to hang out on. In your experiences, what cat tree styles do cats enjoy the most? Would they actually use tunnels and hideaway spots or would it be a waste of time? I know this sort of depends on the cat but I was just curious as to what you guys had seen.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Does it matter that they are still kittens? They mostly seem to just like climbing onto things, not into them, but is that likely to change once they age?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Captain Foxy posted:

loving cats not appreciating awesomeness when they have it. :argh:

Civet, if I were you I would go nuts with it and build as many things into it as you can. It'll be fun for you and the cats will explore it all and be able to develop their own preferences, since they have a lot to chose from. Make a thread about it, why don't you? I'd be interested in seeing some in progress pics, since I plan on doing this myself at some point, and my DIY skills are nil.

Good idea, I'll see if I can do something like that. My boyfriend will be doing most of the work since he's the only one of us with any woodworking experience but hopefully I can get some pictures of the various stages and some info on materials and construction.

We're also going to make a scratching post out of an actual piece of tree with the bark intact and everything. Our cats' foster dad said that his cats have all loved this kind of scratcher.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I need litter box advice!

I live in a fairly small one-bedroom apartment with a smallish living room, big kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. My plan is to shut them up in the bathroom when we move to give them a little place of their own until they are comfortable and to help them finish taming down (they're feral kittens). Questions:

1) Should I get them a little night light or something for nighttime? The bathroom has no windows so I'm assuming that it'll be pitch black when the door is closed. I plan on leaving the lights on for them all day and just shutting them off at bedtime.

2) I was thinking of just sticking with one litter box since they happily share one right now and the apartment is rather small. Since it's what they'll be used to by the time we let them out of the bathroom, I was thinking of just leaving it in there. We're also going to have to shut them away once in awhile for their safety when we do weight-lifting exercises so just making the bathroom their room makes sense. Of course, the problem with that is that people are always in and out and opening and closing the door. It's just my boyfriend and I so we can get into the habit of leaving the door open a bit for them when we're just showering or something but the door will of course be closed for five or ten minutes at a time when the toilet's in use. Will they be willing to hold it in for five or ten minutes if the door is closed or will they likely refuse to wait?

3) If the answer to my second question is 'no', could we possibly just move the litter box in and out of the bathroom when we have to, or would that confuse them? Also, is the kitchen a bad place to keep the litter box? It's a decently-sized kitchen but the box would still probably be in a ten-foot radius of where they are fed. Would that be too icky for them?

Sorry for the longness, I have been wracking my brain about this and can't come up with a good answer.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

demozthenes posted:

I finally have a lease that allows free-roaming pets! My boyfriend is moving in as well, and we are considering adopting an adult cat within the year. (Our work schedules are fairly opposite, so the cat will have someone home for much of the day.) I grew up with a Maine Coon and was responsible for his care, and he's had four cats including two feral kittens that he's raised. (He has much more cat experience, obviously.)

What I want to know is what to look for in a cat at the shelter/rescue. Hopefully, rescues will have a good idea of what their cats are like, but since it can take a long time for them to settle into a home (my family's Maine Coon hid behind the wall unit for three weeks after we brought him home from the rescue), I was wondering if there were markers to check for personality traits. We'd like a laid-back lap cat that won't destroy the apartment or try endlessly to escape to the busy street outside - we both have a lot of attention to give a cat. I know how to check for potential problems or personalities with dogs, since I've worked with them a lot, but cat personalities are a mystery to me.

Also, going back to the comment about allergies, I have odd cat allergies. I am consistently very allergic to calico and tortoiseshell cats, and am not allergic to Maine Coons, Russian Blues, or most all-white or orange cats at all. It's very strange and my allergist can't explain it. (My allergic reactions kick in very quickly and I plan on taking a big huff out of the cat's fur at the shelter before adopting anything, but due to other allergies, Claritin-D is already a part of my daily routine and it won't be a dealbreaker either way.)

Try a rescue that does a lot of fostering. Many cats act differently in a shelter environment than they do in a loving home. Unless the foster parent just got the cat, they should have a pretty good idea of the cat's temperament.

Oh, and since you want a pretty chill cat, you might want to try getting an older (7+ years old) cat. There are lots of awesome lazy loving senior kitties stuck in shelters and rescues just because their old people owners died or whatever. That and everyone wants kittens so old kitties take forever to get adopted. Remember that cats can get to be 20+ years old so even "old" cats will have lots of years left in them if you take care of them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Modern Leper posted:

Tagging onto Honda Civet's question:

I've recently taken in a feral cat. The next door neighbors have been "entertaining" him for the past month or so, but I haven't seen any signs that they've been feeding or sheltering him (he was really thin when I got him in the house). I also was worried about what would happen when the school year started for the child of the house. He's an unknown age, but I would say close to or just over a year (definitely not a big-headed kitten). If someone thinks that I should've just left the cat with the kid, please let me know (it's only been a few days).

I've put in a bit of thought before bringing him in, but I'll be honest and say that I haven't done a tremendous amount of research. My family took in an abandoned cat when I was growing up, but a lot of the "early" vet stuff had already been done (neutering, vaccinations) before we got to him. He's got a litter box, and I'm free-feeding him IAMS "Proactive Health" kibble for the time being. My question is: how do I foster trust with a feral cat so that I can eventually (soon, hopefully) get him into a cat carrier and take him to a vet for the checkup/neutering? He currently doesn't like to be picked up AT ALL. I'm not starting at kitten stage, so I don't know if there's more that I should do beyond the standard "treat him right" things.

EDIT: Found my answer, which was man up and pick him up. No scratches, and he's staying overnight at the shelter for vaccinations and neutering (6 mos. old appx.)

When it comes to stuff like the vet, you sometimes just can't really be nice about it. Heck, even non-feral cats usually have to be dragged to the vet so you shouldn't feel bad. Other than that, there are a billion great guides online for working with ferals. There are lots of organizations around the country (Alley Cat Allies, Urban Cat League, etc.) that offer resources on their websites so check those out.

I have my own question: How many meals a day do 4-month old kittens need? Can we get away with 2? At their foster parents' place, they currently get fed wet food maybe twice a day but they also have dry food available all day. We plan on just feeding them wet food twice a day, no dry, when they are adults. Are they old enough for this or should we leave out kibble like their foster parents do? We won't be around enough for three meals a day unless we feed them later at night or something.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Meow Cadet posted:

Pretty sure its recommended to have food available 24/7 until a cat is about 1 year old. Then you can transition to feeding times if you want.

Sounds like their stomachs are too small for them to eat enough otherwise so I guess you are right. Is it necessary to "moisten dry food with water" like some sites say? The foster parent hasn't been doing that so far but I don't know how much of the kibble they eat. They always act like they are starving when we bring them wet food so maybe they can't handle it (either that or kittens always act like they are starving when tasty food is present).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fire In The Disco posted:

By 4 months old, the kitten shouldn't need moistened kibble. That's really something that's good for babies who haven't figured out crunchies yet. I also second free feeding until the cat's over a year old; with high quality kibble, and plenty of it available, the kitten will have the best possible building blocks to growing up huge and healthy and cuddly. :3:

what if i want small cats :colbert:

Just to clarify, "kitten" formula foods are mostly a marketing thing right? We got a free bag of Wellness Kitten kibble when we got them but can we just pick up any good adult food once they go through it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I have a question on claw trimming. As I said, I have two 4-month old kittens. Should I be getting them into the habit of getting their claws trimmed now or should I let them have their little death daggers? I am afraid that if I trim their claws, they will learn to play with each other harder than they should.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

zex posted:

I have some litter questions. Right now I have two cats, 9 months old and 4 months old. Two litter boxes right next to each other, probably going to cut it down to just one soon. I use Best Cat Litter in the World Extra Strength Formula for multiple cats. My problem is litterbox stink. I clean both boxes out a minimum of twice a day, usually three or more times though. My bathroom and room more often than not stink of cat poop pretty strongly. I thought this was just normal but a friend came over and said she has one cat and she only cleans out her box twice a week and it never stinks. This sounds crazy to me knowing how often I clean my box out. She used Arm and Hammer something, except it wasn't flushable I don't think. I'd prefer to just flush everything if possible. What I'm asking is what are some alternate litters I could try in one of the boxes? I can separate the boxes to test the smell and see if they take to the new litter. Any other tips for cutting down smell? Also could it possibly be because of my new younger cat? I remember as the 9 month old aged a little the stink cut back but it could have just been because I got used to it.

edit: Forgot to add the food I use is Blue Buffalo Longevity Kitten Formula. Could possibly moving to a different food make a difference? Maybe Solid Gold?

Maybe try Swheat Scoop? It's wheat junk instead of corn junk and I'm pretty sure it's flushable. They have a multi-cat formula that is supposed to be better at odor control so maybe give that a shot.

And yes, kitten poos tend to be worse than cat poos when it comes to stankiness. Also kittens are dumb and often aren't very good about burying their buttbombs.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

even worse username posted:

I use Swheat Scoop and don't have the stench problem, although one thing to be aware of is that it tracks a tremendous amount. It is flushable, though, which is nice.

I think it's one of those things where you just have to give it a shot and see if it works for you. Some people think it works great and some don't. Same with World's Best. Same with just about every litter I guess. Maybe it depends on the cat's diet?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Two kitten questions:

1) My kittens are ferals so they have been pretty quiet up until recently. However, one of them is becoming more vocal as of late. They are still locked in the bathroom because we just got them and sometimes he'll meow through the door. I should be ignoring him so he doesn't get into the habit, right?

2) I have two kittens, they are brothers and they obviously are crazy about each other most of the time. However, when I set down food, the bolder one bats the other cat away so he can eat first. He can't eat ALL the food so the other cat gets some when the jerk is done but still . . . Should I give them food in separate dishes or is this normal?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

exactduckwoman posted:

Separate dishes would be much kinder to the beta cat. I'm sure if my cats only had one dish they'd do that, but when you can just put out another plate, why endure the strife?

How long have you been keeping the feral kittens secluded for? If they're meowing for attention you might as well give them a little more run of the house (I assume you have other cats and you're concerned about infections, but hopefully they've been vetted by now). You are right that you shouldn't encourage the meowing by coming as soon as he starts, but perhaps it's a sign that they need more attention in general.

Poor beta cat . . . he must be getting enough to eat though because he is much larger than the alpha! He obviously doesn't know it though.

They've only been in there since Sunday. We don't have any other cats, we were just keeping them in a small room for awhile to get them used to us/comfortable in a new place. It's a very small bathroom though so they are probably getting bored. We're planning on letting them out tonight after we make the place a little more kitten-safe. We just moved and it's still a big mess so we were trying to hold off but they'll probably enjoy crawling around the mess anyway.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Do kittens pee/drink a lot? I am always finding tons of giant pee balls in their litter box and at least one of them can be seen drinking water quite often. They are about 4 months old and are fed good wet food (Wellness, Innova, etc.) 2-3 times a day and also have good dry food (EVO) at their disposal 24/7.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh man oh man! If things work out, we'll be heading to the shelter tonight to pick out a kitty! The local shelters are so oversaturated, I'm happy to give a pet a good home.

A few last-minute questions - my boyfriend and I both work. While we are gone during the day, where should we keep the kitten? Should we allow him/her to wander freely, or confine them to the bathroom or something? My only worry with this is that the litterbox won't be living in the bathroom but in a closet, so it might be confusing to start it out in the bathroom and then move it. As for cords - our house is bunny-proofed, but cats are climbers so there's no guarantee he won't get into things. I've got some bitter apple spray I plan on spraying on cords, so it should be ok to let him wander?

Seconding getting two. We have two brothers that are 4 months old. If they aren't sleeping or snuggling with us, they are mostly just chasing/wrestling each other rather than getting into lots of stuff . . . I mean, they DO get into stuff, but then they get distracted when the other runs up and tackles them so they don't have much time to tear poo poo up.

The bunnyproofing of the cords should be enough. I've never seen any cats that were extremely interested in cords unless they were moving but maybe that's just me. They should be OK to let loose as long as you have the place cleaned up. Make sure to pick up anything small that they could try to eat/choke on. They'll try to eat any little tiny thing on the floor so pick up stuff they shouldn't have. They also sometimes seem to like chewing on long flat things like blinds, cardboard box flaps, etc. so make sure nothing like that is laying around that you don't want them chewing on. Lastly, tuck away any dangling junk like curtain cords that they could hang themselves on.

Confining them to one room for a bit is a good idea, it gives them a safe place to stay while they get over the move. They'll let you know when they are ready to come out and explore. My apartment is pretty small so I just let them have their run of the place when I let them out. They should be OK in a house as long as they explore on their own and can learn their own way around.

If you have a huge house and move the litter box somewhere completely different, you might want to move the litter box gradually, moving it towards the new location in increments. In my small apartment, we up and moved it a few times and they had no problem finding it though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Camembert posted:

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering adopting a kitten as a companion to my current adult cat. My current cat is about two and a half, and fairly active, and for a number of reasons I think a new kitty bud for her would be of great benefit. :3: Anywho, I have a couple of questions that I didn't have to go through when I got my current cat that I haven't seen answered here yet (unless I missed them?):

Clumping cat litter: I've heard that kittens aren't supposed to be on clumping cat litter because if they ingest it it can cause problems and such. At what age is it alright to be placed on clumping litter? Regardless of age, am I supposed to start on non-clumping and then switch to clumping if I see the cat doesn't seem to show interest in eating it?

Vaccine/Deworming schedules: What ages are these usually performed? I've heard that kittens usually get vaccines three times in the first year--when I got my current cat, she only needed her boosters at her one year mark, so I'm not sure when the other first two vaccines are supposed to take place. I know the shelter does whatever age-appropriate vaccines and such before you adopt, but I'd like a heads-up about what to expect. Should I do a deworming regardless when I get the kitten home?

Thanks so much for the help!

Kitties can use clumping litter at 2-3 months of age so you should be good. Just go to clumping right away, they shouldn't be eating their litter unless you mixed up your litter and kibble bags. :) They accidentally ingest it through grooming.

Not too sure on the vaccines. If you get the kitty through a good shelter or rescue, a lot of that stuff will be taken care of for you before you adopt. Different places cover different amounts of stuff though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Awesome, thanks for the input! I know it's best to get two, but we're hoping to bond the kitten as a companion for our rabbit, who's been lonely. Myself and the bf both feel suddenly having two cats will be a lot for the rabbit to handle all at once - plus, it might create a "three's a crowd" situation where the cats bond and the bunny is still fairly lonely (or the cats might even get mischievous and gang up on the bunny, which is the last thing we want). This, combined with the fact that my boyfriend has never lived with a cat before and is optimistically cautious about the whole affair means we're only getting one.

Our apt is a small one-bedroom, so we're thinking it should be ok to let the kitty wander...we might keep it in our bedroom for the first few days, just to be sure.

I'm not a rabbit person but if you want the rabbit to have a friend, wouldn't another rabbit be better?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Camembert posted:

Thanks HondaCivet and Helanna! I am happy to hear that clumping litter shouldn't be a problem--I can't stand the other stuff! Also, yes, I think the shelter does do some of the initial vaccines/dewormers, but I just wanted a heads up for what to expect. They require that you take your new animal to a vet within 48h so I suppose I will get whatever extra stuff they need then. Thanks so much for the info! :)

If you want (lots) more litter box info go here. She's a little militant but she has lots of great advice and explains why non-clumping litter is a bad idea in general.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

OK, I have a weird dual-part question . . . my boyfriend took some sort of coniferous log and made a scratcher out of it. One of the cats took to it right away but the other cat is TERRIFIED of it. He is literally hiding under the bed and has been for hours. It's strange because the one that's terrified is the bolder, alpha cat of the two. I tried carrying him into the room but he always retreats under the bed. Should I just give him more time to get used to it? Is there anything else I can do?

Also, is pine dangerous to cats? I found maybe a couple of pages saying so but I can't find much on it. I also know someone else that makes scratchers out of the same wood and he's had no problems with his cats getting sick from them either. I just wanted to know if you guys have heard anything though.

Update: Never mind, he got over it after several hours. Not sure why he was so terrified in the first place . . . cats are weird?

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 26, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

4R7 THi3F posted:

Can we talk about cat litter for a minute?

I just adopted a baby kitten last week, and I've already gone through an entire 15 lb container of Tidy Cats in under a week. Is that normal?

Also, she's been tracking her poop through the house after she uses her litter box. She goes to kick her poop, and then the poop sticks to the fur on her hindlegs. I discovered she had this problem a few days ago, at 2AM in the morning. After using her litter box, she jumped onto my bed and covered me, my bed, the walls, the floors, the carpets, etc with poop. My friend dubs this the Hurricane Chicken incident.

I don't know if it's the cat litter that's bad? I recently started using litterbox liners in order to make cleaning the litter box easier. Would that somehow render the litter less effective???? She didn't have the poo problem when I first got her.

I also recently changed up her diet. I had her on Iam's dry kitten food when I first got her, but she didn't really touch the stuff, so I went out and bought Wellness's wet kitten food, which she loved. She would also sporadically graze on the Iams's between meals. I think I had her on Iam's for 3 days before I decided to throw it out in favor of Wellness's dry kitten food. Admittedly, I didn't really transition her between the two different brands of cat food because she didn't seem to eat that much of the Iam's, and I heard that kittens can accept new foods more easily.

So what can I do about the poo problem? Is it the litter, the litterbox liners, her diet? Also, I live in an apartment and we keep her litterbox in the living room, so I need a good litter with strong odor control. I went out and bought a bag of The World's Best Litter or something like that, but I was kind of shocked that it cost $12 for a 7 pound bag. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't really know if it's that great.

Also: is clumping litter better than non-clumping? And how much litter should I be using a week???

This is Chicken the kitten, btw:

Zomg the cute. :swoon:

I have two kittens so I have double the horrible stinky kitten poos to deal with. How did you go through the litter so fast? Were you throwing it out a lot or did it all come out via scooping out the clumps?

Also, tell us about the litter box itself. Is it very big? How deep do you keep the litter? My kittens have tracked out their vile poo poo a couple of times and I have found that keeping the litter deeper (3-4 inches) helps prevent this. They can bury it deeper and if they step on it, it'll sink rather than stick to their feet. Also, is she doing a good job burying stuff? If you want to know more about litter box stuff then you should try that link I gave to Camembert a few posts up.

As for litters, if you bought World's Best because you like natural stuff, I would recommend Swheat Scoop, which is what I use. I think it is fairly good for odor control. We have the litter box in a fairly small room and there's only a mild odor, and it's really only of the litter itself, not waste. We scoop 2-3 times a day though so I don't know how nice it would smell if you are lazy and leave it too long. It's also flushable which I find to be very convenient (just make sure you let the clumps soak for 20 minutes first so you don't kill your plumbing). The main thing I don't like about it is that it tracks really badly but if you put some carpet or a litter-catcher type of pad out next to the litter box, it helps a lot.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

desperado_cain posted:

Mine just got really scared and started to run away from me,looking for places to hide. I guess it was the first time he had seen rain.

Uh, and a question. Five days ago I adopted two kittens from an animal shelter, a 3 month old orange tabby and a 2 month old black kitten, Bastet and Salem. But they both look really thin, you can see their ribs and the hip bones(?). Is there anything extra I can add to their diet or some special brand of food?

I feed them with Whiskas dry and wet food, and that milk for cats they sell. Salem loves to drink the milk, but Bastet doesn't.

By the way, these are my first kittens. I already had dogs and other animals, and I'm kind of lost here.

Click here for the full 1324x1300 image.

-This is Bastet on his first day, he got a bath next day.

The shelter gave you the cats in that state?? What the hell sort of shelter is that?

Anyway, Whiskas is a pretty crappy food. If you can, you should get them something of a better quality. Healthy food will help them recuperate faster. Check out the Pet Nutrition Megathread and see what you can get in your area. Not sure about anything to "fatten them up" faster . . . as long as you give them as much healthy food as they want, they should set themselves right soon.

Milk for cats? Do you mean kitten milk replacement? I haven't used that stuff before since I haven't had kittens that young. Just don't give them cow milk, it's not good for them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Desperado Bones posted:

It's a Mexican animal shelter, that might give you an idea of why they were in that state. Really sad, they can't keep the poor animals in good shape, but people rarely care here for the animals.

And thanks! Will look around, and see if what I can find, yes is the kitten replacement milk.

Aah, I see. At least they ended up with you. Dear god a Mexican animal shelter must be a depressing place. :(

Anyway, I have my own question. A weird thing happened today. Me, my boyfriend, and our two four-month old kittens were all chillin' on the couch. Both were either sleeping or in a tremendously sleepy state. Then, out of nowhere, one of them essentially tipped his head over the side of the couch, coughed up a little bit of vomit onto the floor, and went back to sleep. It was not a large amount of vomit, just a few very small chunks, almost like a spray. At no point during the morning did he act like he was feeling sick. Is this . . . something to be concerned about, or is this sort of normal?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My kitten is stupid when it comes to the litter box. He always reaches way too far and too high and therefore scratches the side of the box rather than the litter. He of course scratches incessantly for like 5 minutes at a time since digging at plastic doesn't do the job. I am using one of those big Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut into the side. I upgraded them to a really big one (footprint is probably 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet) to see if that helped and it only has a little bit. Now he actually hits litter a tiny percentage of the time rather than never. I'm not sure what would help besides a swimming pool-size box and the little 'tard would probably still find the sides. His brother has no trouble burying his poo poo and ends up burying stupid cat's poo poo too, usually. How can I teach my durfy kitten to bury properly?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Znorps! posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure what food would be best and figured that would work. If I see the Blue Buffalo stuff I'll grab that instead. I'm not locked into the flushing thing, just saw another poster mention it favorably. I'll try to find the Tidy Cats as allergies are an issue here.

As for the whole taking care of them thing goes. I was planning on starting them out in the kitchen until they get used to the house. Eventually we were going to move the litter box into the basement as it's finished and where the fish maintenance happens. Does this seem like a good idea? The kitchen is roomy but not too big and generally free of wires and hanging things they can grab onto.

Sorry if these make no sense. I just want to make sure all goes smoothly. Got that "standing on the high dive about to jump" feeling and all.

Seconding that the food you picked looks awful (no offense). Are you sure there aren't any other nearby pet stores? I can't imagine that a town large enough to support a PetSmart wouldn't have at least one independent store. PetSmart just kinda sucks as far as food goes so it'd be worth it to look around.

I use Swheat Scoop. It's not perfect but it's worth a try. Not sure if it would stir up allergies unless you were specifically allergic to wheat or something but it clumps well and the fact that it's flushable is pretty cool. You do have to let it sit for 20 minutes in the bowl before you flush though. I mostly like it because clay litter is lovely for the environment but I'm a gay treehugging hippie I guess.

You should probably have a litter box on each floor if you live in a house unless the house is particularly small, so maybe leave the kitchen one and put another one in the basement?

Lester Shy posted:

Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

You JUST got him, right? If he's only been home for a short while, he might still be pretty uncomfortable and therefore not be as interested in playing. Give him some time and he'll probably have the whole house torn up soon.

If you want to safely take him outside, there was just a thread about harnesses.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 10, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

evelynevvie posted:

Try picking him up and putting him in the litter box. He doesn't have to be peeing/pooping. Then, grab his front paws (one in each hand) and dig into the litter with them. This is how I potty train all of my kitties. His digging instincts should take over from there, and hopefully digging in the litter will show him where exactly to dig. Other than that, maybe try a different litter? He may just not like the kind you have.

Bleh, I tried this and he just gets upset that I'm grabbing him. I tried "showing" him how by covering the litter for him with a scoop but he just gets mad about being bothered in the litter box. How long does it take for them to learn?

I have another problem with him . . . he's also stepping in his poo poo and tracking it everywhere. We keep having to grab him and wash his feet down. It's usually the bottoms of his back feet but sometimes he gets it on his front paws too. I don't know how a cat can be so retarded with the litter box when his brother does just fine. What would help? Different litter? Is it a medical problem? Will he grow out of it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well I think I know what part of the shitstepping problem is . . . diarrhea! (Yes, I made a vet appointment for Monday). However, they don't seem to have diarrhea all the time. I see them have both normal poops and runny ones. This causes me to conclude that it's probably dietary rather than parasites or something (please correct me here if worms or illness can cause only occasional squirts). I've tried to figure out some sort of rhythm to it. I haven't come up with much of one but I've only seen big problems in the evening . . . of course he might be cleaning himself up well enough when we're gone so that we don't see it though. We free-feed them dry food (mostly because they are still kittens) and then give them wet food 2 or 3 times a day. One thing that might be the problem is that we switch their wet food every couple of days when the 13 oz. can runs out. I'm doing this to keep them from being picky rear end in a top hat adult cats but I've also heard that it can cause tummy problems. I didn't really think much of it since the foster parent did the same thing and I don't remember any problems like that. Could this be the problem? We only switch between the same handful of kinds but there's still a major switch every couple of days. The other thing we do is refrigerate the food after we open it and then microwave it when it's feeding time. The food's only in the fridge for a day or two before they eat it but could it be getting gross during that time? Maybe nuking it is screwing it up? We just try to get it not-cold rather than warm so it's not in there too long but still . . . Sorry, long post, just feeling worried. Anyone have any feedback?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

evelynevvie posted:

Are you feeding him different flavors of wet food or different brands or what?

This is probably largely the problem. Cats, and kittens in particular have pretty sensitive tummies. Give him some canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) in with his food. It should help make his poops less runny. I kinda thought before he might have the kitty runs. If you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping over in the pet nutrition thread and discussing your food choices there. They can probably better advise you about the wide variety of food you are giving him.

I would personally give them one dry food, and just stock up on a couple flavors of wet food, and not change it up so much. Pick a couple flavors that you know they like and just buy it in bulk.

At least he isn't doing what my sister's kitten was doing...having his runny poops in a chair instead of the litterbox (which was badly in need of scooping)!

Yeah, we switch between Innova and Wellness. Wellness is the only one that comes in flavors so we'll probably just stick with that one (unless anyone thinks Innova/EVO is better I guess). We do just stick with one brand of dry food at least. We can try to find some canned pumpkin too.

Would it be OK if we just mixed in small amounts of other foods into their Wellness to add variety/prevent pickiness? Or would that probably make them sick too? We could mix in the pumpkin along with it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Eej posted:

I've been going to a local independant pet store for cat stuff because they're closeby and prices are pretty good. However I noticed that they had kittens for sale (only $199 spayed/neutered and vaccinated!) and when I asked where they got them from, the guy there said "breeders from around the province including one of our ex-employees". I wasn't aware that there are people who specialize in breeding domestic shorthairs so am I right in assuming they're selling kittens from BYBs and I should never go there again?

There ARE real, legitimate breeders of American Shorthair cats (wraithgar has one named Trophy, who owns). However, they don't sell out of pet stores, just like legitimate dog breeders don't. These "breeders" probably literally just make their mama cats pump out kittens and throw them into that stupid pet store. I don't know about you but I'd feel lovely spending my money there.

$199 is on sale?? I got TWO kittens for $150 from an awesome rescue. Maybe it's just because I'm in the Midwest but still, what the gently caress . . .

BIOJECT posted:

kittens

Yeah, definitely try to find some bonded adults, especially since you haven't had cats before. Kittens are cute but they are a big pain in comparison to adults and no one should ever get any unless they really want the specific experience of dealing with the little furry assholes. They chew on/play with/claw everything and aren't always up on their litter box skills. Adults can be active and playful too but they aren't as obsessed with messing with EVERYTHING. I got some kittens and while I cherish every moment of their kittenhood blah blah cheesy crap, I am looking forward to them growing up and calming the gently caress down/not running around and doing Matrix walljumps off the side of the bed while I'm sleeping/trying to turn my leg into pulled pork in order to get at a pants drawstring/no longer being able to fit into crazyass tiny annoying spots/BEING DICKS.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I took my kittybutts to the vet for a checkup . . . She said they are very healthy but are starting to get a little fat! Kittens can get fat? They are 5 months old so I don't know if that counts as "kitten" anymore but they still have a lot of growing to do. They are around 6 lbs. each and she recommended about 180 calories a day for them (and thusly no more free feeding of dry food). Does that sound right? I just don't want to starve them or stunt their growth or anything.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Maharajadhiraja posted:

My roommate and I took in a kitten whose parents died, we think it's about 4 weeks old. It didn't seem able to pee on its own, but we've been able to piddle it. Pooping has been another story, though, and I'm worried that it hasn't been able to yet (it's been about a full day since we brought it home), and it won't hold still long enough for us to help it poop. It seems pretty healthy and is doing fine aside from the lack of poop. We're taking it to a vet later, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this kitten take a poo poo?

Sometimes kittens that young can use the litter box but sometimes not. If they are having trouble, you are supposed to wet a cotton ball or washcloth with warm water and then rub their anus. Mom cats make kittens poo by stimulating them with washing. (Being a mom cat must suck).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Maharajadhiraja posted:

Yeah, we had to do that to get it to pee. We've tried stimulating its butthole after each of its meals, and it hasn't pooped once. I'm worried that it might be constipated, and hoping that it just doesn't need to poop. I'm also worried that the kitten is feeling molested.

No, it should be pooping if it's eating . . . If it hasn't gone in awhile, I'd just get to the vet post-haste since it might be sick.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CagedLiberty posted:

After wanting a cat my entire life, my fiance and I have reserved two jet-black kittens (sisters) at a local shelter. The litter of six and their mum were all rescued together from a house that was overcrowded with cats, but they're healthy and happy thankfully. We should get them within the next ten days hopefully because we're just waiting for someone to come out and do a home check on us. Very excited, and have read this whole thread so far as a start.

Can anyone recommend, or post some info, on what to do the very first day a new kitten comes home? I want to know if I can give them the run of the house (it's only a one bedroom) or if that would overwhelm them, and if I should leave them alone for a few hours or try to pet them, and so on.

Kinda late but I got kittens recently so I thought I'd throw in my two cents on my experience.

It is pretty normal for kitties to be freaked out by the moving/adopting experience. They are taken from what they think of as home, brought to a strange place by strange people . . . they can understandably be a little scared at first. It's usually easier to confine them to a small room at first for a few reasons. Firstly, a small room all to themselves makes the acclimation process faster for the kitties because it doesn't take as long to stake out a small, quiet room. Also, if you choose the room correctly, you will rob them of places to hide and avoid you should they be feeling shy when they get home. This sounds kind of mean but lack of good hiding spots forces them to realize that they are in an awesome new place with really nice people that love them!

My kitties were originally feral cats and are probably much more shy than yours, and even they took only a few days before they wanted to get out and explore. So I guess that if I were you, I'd shut them up in a spare room or bathroom or something for at least the first night. If they are cool with the whole move and don't seem too freaked out, then you can probably just let them out whenever they are ready. I just figure that it's likely more prudent to keep on the safe side rather than have them spend the first few days hiding under the bed or whatever.

Also make sure that, if you do this, leave at the very least their litter box in the same place for awhile. If you move it when you let them out of their room then they may get lost trying to find it again.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CraigK posted:

When do kittens tend to break out of the "ATTACK loving EVERYTHING" mode, usually?

The new kitten in the house hasn't really learned that faces, electrical cords, and the tail of the 20-pound Maine Coon in the house aren't exactly play toys yet.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that phase to end, it lasts well into adulthood for many cats.

There's not much you can do besides kitten-proof the house and yelp when he attacks you to let him know it hurts. Wearing him out with some long play sessions might help a little but the fact is that kittens are assholes. Kittens do well in pairs/groups because they are little dicks to each other moreso than to you. Is the older cat too old/fat/lazy to play with him?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yisan posted:

I have tried the paw scoopy trick and they just look at me and then proceed to get upset and run away. I think a bigger box is the next step

I have a cat that does this. He didn't respond to the paw scoop thing either. He's just too dumb I guess. What's strange is that he will dig to make a hole but one he's done, he reaches too far to bury it. I think he's afraid of getting his paw in his poo. We upgraded box size once, now they have a very large Tupperware bin with a hole in the side. It helped some but the walls are still there and he's pretty big so he can still reach them. He seems to be growing out of it very slowly though, sometimes he'll bury stuff a little bit. I'd just try to deal with it and give it some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Pod posted:

Our new kitties are quite settled now, and I just wanted to check we're going about the feeding right. They currently get 3 pouches of wet kitten food a day each - morning, afternoon and night. This is currently Felix (ugh) because that's what they were on at the shelter - we are going to start upgrading this to Applaws over the next couple of weeks. They also get a bowl of dry Applaws kitten food which I keep topped up all day.

Is this okay? Is free feeding the dry food an issue or is it correct procedure with kitties? They are c.10 weeks old.

Free feeding is cool for kittens because they have tiny tummies and therefore need to eat more often in order to get the calories they need. You should probably transition them to 3 meals a day when they are 5-6 months old, then to 2 if you want once they are a year old. Some cats can free feed without turning into tubbos but a lot can't so meals are probably going to be best for them.