Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
My cat eats Taste of the Wild dry food. She won't touch wet food. I've been getting the giant bags for economic viability, but recently discovered that it's been going bad and she hasn't been eating. Got a new smaller bag and she's right back at it.

Is there a particular airtight container that the larger bag could be stored in without it going bad? Things are pretty tight right now and I'd like to be able to save that money, her Prozac costs enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Organza Quiz posted:

Yes, just get a big plastic container and keep it in that. When I used Taste of the Wild I used to just pour it into one - honestly part of the reason I haven't gone back to that brand is that it's one of the very few that doesn't do resealable bags and it's a huge pain.

Been using a plastic container with a foam seal. Probably time to replace that, huh. Out of curiosity, what food did you switch to?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I've been going through an incredibly not fun medication journey that has left me constipated for weeks. Apparently my cat caught on to that and became sympathetic, constipating herself. She just came home from spending the night at the vets and had a couple enemas. The vet said she wouldn't touch any of the food they had, and she's always been a notoriously picky eater. Vets suggestions are to try and give her wetter food, but she won't touch wet food. Is this one of those "look at the pet nutrition thread list and keep trying until she'll eat one" scenarios?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Deteriorata posted:

Well, all cats foods are essentially the same, nutritionally, so it doesn't really matter which one you feed her unless she has some very specific allergic or dietary needs.

The advice to keep trying until you find something she likes is solid.

I feel like the OP of the pet nutrition thread disagrees with that first statement, but the second is definitely on the agenda.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Try cat malt paste! It literally saved Aleta's life more than once. Smear a blob on her foot and she'll have no choice but to lick it off.

Ordered both of her favorite flavors, salmon and tuna, thanks. Luna is essentially an emotional support animal for my partner and yesterday was a bit scary. I'm very happy to be a goon with this space right now.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Deteriorata posted:

All pet foods are regulated by the FDA to meet minimum nutritional standards. More expensive brands don't get you "better" nutrition, just different ingredients.

Millions of cats live long and healthy lives on cheapo grocery store cat food. Spend as much or as little as you want, it makes no difference.

Cost is definitely a factor, we can't afford months of Blue Buffalo. She's on Taste of the Wild dry now, but that is likely part of the constipation problem. It's just what she'll eat.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

One of my girls is Luna, too! I'd post a pic but I'm on mobile.

Aleta used to get constipated out of pure spite, as far as I can tell, every time we left the house for too long. She also doesn't really like wet food, and I've seen her try to drink water and literally miss!

One thing that worked with her was a gelatin wet food- she seems happier about eating big chunks in a goop matrix than most other wet foods. If you haven't already tried that, it might help.

A point of clarification: received the paste you recommended and am seeing it's for hairballs. Did you have good experience with it helping with constipation too? Considering the vet's advice was "get her more water in her food" and it's a paste it will probably help, just wanted to directly connect those two points.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
My vet just prescribed my cat Miralax for life. That is amazing. Hopefully that's all she needs to keep it movin.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Hey cat thread.

Our kitty is likely on her way out. We've brought her to the vet several times, and while x-rays and ultrasound were clear, the vet thinks it's some form of digestive cancer. She's now on steroids for comfort care to go with her Prozac and miralax.

The steroids improve her activity for a while and then she sulks back to her bed. We're committed to letting her go when there is no more comfort for her.

Lately, she's started purring only to stop seemingly in the same breath. I've had 4 cats over 30 years and never heard anything like it. I don't think it's wheezing, it has the muscle sound of a purr, and she was purring five minutes after, but only briefly before baring teeth. After that, it did sound as if she were softly wheezing before getting up and breathing somewhat normally.

I'm wondering what that may mean, if anything. I know our girl is suffering, and that's a hard place to be. I'm hoping to make it as easy for her as possible.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Kyrosiris posted:

That's not quite what Sweetheart was exhibiting shortly before we put her down, but it seems similar. It didn't help that we'd gotten ultrasound data that showed their might be occlusion/tumor growth in her lungs.

I am seconding the sympathy. It's so very hard. It's been a month and I still find myself randomly breaking down due to something reminding me of her, or me telling my partner "we love you" instead of "I love you" when she leaves for work. :(

In my partner's reading she came up with "gurgling", and I can't say I disagree, she's gained a lot of weight since the steroids. We'll be calling the vet again shortly, the steroids are keeping her eating but her energy lasts for a shorter and shorter amount of time after each dose. There is also added stress in that I can't help with the steroids; I was concussed a few months ago and my motor control is not great, I'm not even able to hold her without shaking, leaving the dosing completely to my partner and our Luna has been less and less cooperative.

My partner is calling the vet again soon, though they likely will only offer words of comfort.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Hey cat thread.

We picked up a new cat a few months ago. He's 2 and declawed by his previous owners. We got him at a shelter. He's taken his time warming up and certainly isn't as cuddly as my partner would like, but I imagine that will change with time - their previous cat took ~3 years to start being comfortable with that, but she was around for 12, and that certainly gave enough time to get used to cat cuddles.

The main issue at hand is he *obnoxiously* squawks in the morning, likely trying to get food. I've attempted to make a point to not feed him right when I get up, instead going about my routine for 45 minutes to an hour, and then associating a breakfast call with feeding him. It doesn't help. He'll get right up next to our heads and let out an extended meow to make sure we wake up. Locking him out of the bedroom leads to him putting his paws under the door and shaking it, and it's about to get real hot here, we're a tad worried of leaving him locked out of where the only AC will be.

We've been discussing switching the wet food feeding to night, but are rather unsure how to do that - a half hour at a time, or just switching to nights? All we want to do is sleep in the morning, but also make sure he gets what he needs.

Edit: I should clarify - at present he gets a wet food packet in the morning and kibble refresh at night. We're pondering doing both at night to save our sanities in the morning, but are unsure how to beat accomplish that or if there is a way to get him to not scream in the morning for wet food.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 8, 2022

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Deteriorata posted:

Free feed him at night. Put out a bowl of dry food that he can munch on. If you're trying to control his diet, you can figure out how much is left and calculate what else he gets for the rest of the day from there.

If you're not controlling his diet, leave the dry food out all the time and forget about it.

Yeah, we do that already. He's still a banshee in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
My cat loves q-tips. He bats them around and chews on them and tosses them in the air and catches them with his paws, no joke. He also eats literally everything - the day after we brought him home last year he puked up a plastic battery cap.

It probably isn't good for him to play with q-tips as he will eat the cotton as it comes off, but he loves them so much he figured out how to open the bathroom cupboard to get to the box. Are there are any q-tip-like toys that he could entertain himself without without wrecking his intestines?