Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Alterian posted:

Has anyone used a diaper genie for scooping out their litter boxes? Is there a better cat equivalent?

We sell this thing at my work and I have heard nothing but rave reviews.

http://www.luckychamp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Yisan posted:

They are a little over 6 months now, and the question has to do with the litter box. They use it, and use it frequently, but they don't bury their business and when they make the attempt to bury, they scratch at the side walls of the box for about 20 seconds before they eventually give up and move on to other kitty things.

Some cats don't bury. I've read that it's because they don't feel threatened in their home, because otherwise they would instinctively bury it to cover their scent.

My cat doesn't bury but I think he's just an rear end in a top hat. His day is way too busy to bother wasting precious seconds covering up his poo poo.

Otherwise, I'd recommend changing the litter type, getting a hooded pan and/or getting a larger one. In that order, not at the same time.

As another note, I'm using Naturvet's calming gel for cats to help my cat acclimate to my new foster, and I really like this stuff. It really calms him down and stops him from being his usual bully self. I think I gave him too much the first time because he acted kind of high though.

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 24, 2009

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Hey guys, I really need some help because my partner just got a job that is going to have her away for 30-50 days and we are still having new cat issues.

Background: First, early last month our Siamese Snowshoe Riley died suddenly. Our foster cat Montana (lived with us since December 2009) was searching for him for days but eventually settled and became super affectionate and loving. About three weeks ago we adopted another Snowshoe, who we renamed Indy, who is ~5 years old, male, fixed (judging from the size of his face and balls, he might have not been neutered until he was well into adulthood), and sweet as hell with us (lapcat!) but VERY scared (hissing and swatting) at Montana. He origially lived as an only cat, was neglected and stuff, and then rehomed with some family who had large dogs who chased him. Now he's ours. When he's alone with us he's sweet, affectionate, playful and likes to be close to us.

Situation: Everything was going smooth after just a few days, so we let them out supervised, and then on their second night out and then they got into a fight (with blood) in the middle of the night when my partner was still up. So since then we've just been separating them, one lives in the bedroom and one has run of the kitchen and living room. We switch them every 3 days. Both are happy in their separate rooms, neither cry to get out and both check out the doors every once in awhile. They have no issues sharing the same boxes or bowls, but if Montana is in the same room Indy is scared shitless and runs and hides. Montana is more :downs: and he is a brat (he's six years old), I know he wants to play and I think he likes pissing off Indy and chases him until he's jammed himself somewhere small and is really scared. Then he just sits and waits until he comes out and pounces him.

Both are healthy and active, affectionate with us, Indy is fine litter box wise and Montana SOMETIMES poops on the bathroom floor, but we think it's because we didn't clean his box as well as we should have.

Today was switch day and I decided to put Montana in his crate, and he just sat pretty and quiet while I let Indy out to roam and shut the bedroom behind him. He was fine until he found Montana and he pretty much exploded and hissed like crazy, and then ran off into a corner to hide from the scary crated cat. I feel like it's more of an anxious/fear thing than anything for him, I don't think he's actually aggressive.

- Sex: Both are neutered males.
- How long have you had your cat? Montana since 12/09, Indy for about three weeks.
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes.
- What food do you use? EVO Fish for Montana plus wet food, Indy eats Lotus.
- When was your last vet visit? Montana was 12/09, Indy was the day we adopted him.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? 2
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Anyway I'm going to be by myself when she's gone, and I work full time. My work is only 5 mins away so I won't be gone more than nine hours at a time, but still. I wan to ideally have both cats but I CAN RETURN MONTANA is I need to, at least until my partner returns from work. He is a foster cat and as long as he's not adopted, we can take him back whenever we want.

Should I douse my apartment in Feliway? Drug them with calming treats? Return Montana? Find a cat whisperer? Returning Indy is not an option for me, I adopted him and I will love him forever even if I can't foster anymore. Thanks guys.

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 27, 2010

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

So wait, have you been doing any supervised introductions at all? It sounds like initially you had them separated, then turned them loose with no supervision, then went straight back to separation when that went badly. Try letting them out at the same time in one area. Only reseparate them when (A) you can't supervise them any more OR (b) blood/serious fight. They need time to get used to each other, which will not happen if they keep living totally separate lives, nor will it be easy for them if you just throw them together and hope for the best.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. It's only been supervised, never unsupervised. They got into a fight when we had stepped out for a second to dump the trash or something. It happened that quickly.

I did let them both out today for a bit, and Montana just cornered Indy again and Indy was nervous but they didn't DO anything really, so I'm not too worried.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

This is kind of a weird one.

My cat Indy is about 5 years old. I've had him since June 2010, he was an owner surrender to a rescue. He's a Siamese or Snowshoe cat. For the last week I've found poop outside of his box, no more than a couple feet away. This has happened maybe 3 times this week and never happened before this. First I made sure I began to scoop his box much more often, and then I got him an additonal box. Since yesterday he has happily used one box for each.

Today I witnessed him do his typically crazy psycho kitty mode, hop in his box, and then when he was halfway done pooping, he flew out and took off down the hallway, and poop fell out of his butt and landed on the carpet. He did immediately go groom himself and he was meowing (he is very talkative overall so this is not weird for me) and cleaning his butt (also fairly normal I think). I do wonder if he is in pain though. Then he did another 10 minutes of being crazy and then went to nap.

I am wondering if this behavior is odd enough to warrant an immediate vet visit. I do realize it could be stress, I am gone 10 hours a day 5 days a week and he is alone. My girlfriend is also gone away at work for 3 months, and we're about 1 month in and he does always act a little off when she's gone, even though he's my cat and he is more attached to me.

His diet is super healthy and grain free, and he drinks a ton of water. about 90% Weruva's paw lickin chicken canned food mixed with Stella/Chewy's freeze dried raw chicken for cats, and 10% blue buffalo wilderness chicken dry food. He tends to throw up after eating dry food so it is just left out for him when I'm gone. He is active, happy, and affectionate with a good appetite and is normal weight (12lbs and is a neutered male. His stool was normal and solid.

Edit: Also wanted to add I've always used World's Best litter with him, haven't changed it. I keep the boxes very clean too.
Any ideas/similar situations?

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 10, 2011