Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My friend rescued an adorable orange cat off the streets last week. This weeks vet trip informed her said cat (Peaches) is pregnant, estimate about 1 month in.
Whats the Pet Island guide to prep for cat labor/kittens? Peaches is less than a year old and 7 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

She's young and small so this is a first time mom with all the risk that goes along with it. Being (presumably) underweight means kittens are more likely to have health problems. It sucks but the kindest option for everyone may be to see if the vet will do a spaybortion or point you at someone willing to do it. At roughly halfway through gestation this shouldn't be much more complicated than a standard spay but if the decision is put off it becomes harder both surgically and emotionally.

Source: I volunteered for the local TNR for several years, taking care of post-op cats. Pregnant cats got extra pain meds at the vet but didn't need extra recovery time before release and weren't more prone to anesthesia complications.

Im assuming the most likely danger of this X number of stillborn kittens, but what exactly can the other complications be (C-section)? I agree that kittens should only be brought into the world under the best circumstance, but I think it will be hard to convince my friend to commit to spay-bortion.

Is it possible to house mom cat at the vet during her labor so at least shes in a medical setting whenever she decides to start up? Ultimately extended medical costs can be an issue and would push this thing in favor of spaying.

This thread may see kitten pix soon regardless of advice given or my best attempts.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
More posts by proxy for my friend who is a first time cat owner.

My friend rescued a cat recently and she is pretty tame and adorable, she is much more cuddly then her kitten-raised cat. New cat and old cat get along fine, no fights, they share food, they play.
But new cat has one wierd habit, she pees in the tub. She uses the litter box to poop but any time my friend uses the bathroom so does new cat, new cat goes and pees in the tub.
Suggestions, thoughts? Why does this happen.

Edit: this may be a learned behavior because Peaches sits just above the drain to do this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaj fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Welp guess she has to deal. She went from 0 cats last may to possibly 10 this month.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hey just checking but is this one of the largest tail:body ratios you guys have every seen?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Cats are majestic, graceful predators.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My friend's rescue gave birth to 7 kittens. She was under a year old and a little underweight. A bit of ham and lovings and we have this variety pack:

2 gray, 2 orange, 3 white. They tend to pile on eachother and hide but there are all squirming and suckling. More pics to follow.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The cat-mom already has KMR, has been scarfing down lots of food for a while. All the kittens appear healthy, with one grey one being darker and bigger.

Its a 2 cat household and the other resident lady-cat is a 10.5 pound beast. Lilly (black cat) and Peaches (orange cat) have been getting along fine for the 2 months they have been together, friendly but not to the point of grooming and napping on each other. However Lilly has become a bit aggressive (anxious?) since when the kittens were born yesterday. She hisses at my fiend after she handled the kittens, and now hisses whenever Peaches walks by. Lilly has always seemed a bit scared of Peaches and is now maintaining her distance. Concerns, comments?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
1 Week Kitten Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXoHKnKu6kU&feature=youtu.be

Peaches has decided to ignore the threads advice about seclusion and quarantine, and has moved her kittens to a bin full of boots, in the living room, facing the TV. This was the 2nd attempt she made to relocate her kittens, her owner decided to just roll with it since mother knows best.

As you can see all the fur-worms are full of energy and are moving about just fine. Some changes will be made to their boot-bin so they cant crawl out and fall. Peaches is so comfortable with her owner and her kittens it must be noted she almost gave birth to said kittens on her owners lap.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Week 2 of the kittens, they have become dangerously mobile, and disarmingly cute

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So my friends kittens are now about 6 weeks old, I will be making a larger post later.

I am planning to adopt one of these two fuzzos:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I live in a studio and the waitlist for an actual 1 bedroom is... years away. I would take two if there was the space for the litter boxes/cat hair.

A bin full of fuzz:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I keep promising a kitten mega post, but this is all I can do at one time.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im adopting a kitten, possibly 2 because I hate my furniture. They would be siblings and 10 weeks old as of this friday. Their current owner, my friend, cant keep them anymore since shes dealing with 7 of them. I am a first time (real) pet owner as I have only ever had a hamster before, RIP Bakunin. So far I know the basic necessities of cats, and reviewed the OP. Id still appreciate getting some pointers and suggestions for a few items.

Things that I am confident I can get without loving up as of now:

1. An enclosed cat bed so the 2 fur machines can be comfy together

2. The Mobius Strip cat scratcher.

3. An enclosed litter tray

4. Laser pointer, toys, catnip,brush, etc.

Things that I am not confident on:

1. Getting a good quality wet cat food. I dont have archives so I cant read the pet nutrition thread. I see the OP views Purina with disdain, so I have no idea what to get. Im assuming Friskies is also poo poo.

2. Litter. Scented or Unscented? I live in a studio, and with some ingenuous placement I will hopefully not be gassed by cat poops.

So please thread, leave some suggestions so that I make sure the food going into a cat is just as unoffensive as what will come out of it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Purina and Friskies are fine. Pet food is regulated by the FDA so anything labeled "nutritionally complete" will be equally nutritious. Spend as much or as little as you like. As long as your cats like it, it doesn't matter.

Unscented litter is generally preferable, and put the box in a bathroom with a ventilation fan for odor evacuation when necessary.

Relax and enjoy your cats.

While my bathroom is too small for that, it hilariously has its own little vestibule outside which does. My cat will poop in her own double-closet which is enclosed from the main garbage pit which is my apartment.

Also, cat:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I have been pushing for 2 since they still do kitten piles, and worst case scenario if I am such a terrible cat owner I know enough people who would take the 2 of them.

Im pushing to get the 2 white ones on the right, they are last to already be farmed out

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I HAS CAT

And yes sadly only 1, out of a litter of 7 a single kitten is bound to happen. She ate, patrolled the apartment, and is now playing with my shoes.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
First day of CAT report:

Welp I can see why the thread strongly suggests 2 kittens instead of one. My little fur-bomb has ignored all the actual toys provided and only finds straw wrappers entertaining. Sadly the wrappers get torn short and now both hands are bleeding. Bless her heart.

Also she is a bit lonley, The only way I could get her to sleep was by setting her up in my lap and cooing her to sleep. She is also very fond of beds and needed to be placed on my bed lest she wake up. Thank goodness she has peed and pooped in the litter on her first try.

Man Boob and Fur Bomb

First attempt at sleep on a couch

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

InvisibleMonkey posted:

All cats are beautiful, and I won't hear otherwise. Does the tiny snowball have a name yet?

Sasha.

The first night was a little rough. She would refuse to sleep anywhere but my lap. Just as I got into bed as silently as possible and turned off the light, that caused her to get up and go into explore mode. She did a bed check every 20 minutes to make sure the Food-Giver was still there. It was all worth it when i was woken up with a face full of purrs at 8 AM. Shes also being a huge jerk about her food, shes eating it in tiny bursts, a small can takes about an hour to eat and starts to dry out by the time shes done. I hope this is just because she made a move and is still unsure of things.

Despite this after one day she follows me, purrs whenever i pick her up, and is entirely satisfied with old receipts.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
And the teeth for brushing, I am bothering her whenever hes resting and shes already pretty handable. Her previous cat-mom broke her in pretty well.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know if this is something you considered or rejected, but you could still get a second kitten! At that age, they'll generally accept each other and bond fairly easily even without being littermates or being raised together.

Im seriously considering it. This adorable, lap-loving, claw monster runs a 4 hour sleep cycle. Every 4 hours Im assaulted with meows and purrs to my face for cuddles and she wont fall asleep anywhere else that isnt my lap.

Pictured: Day 2 of Love

Not Pictured: the bleeding claw marks she left getting up there.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Sasha got her shots yesterday, she didnt cry on the walk there or during the shots themselves. The techs melted into baby gibberish at her cuteness.
I do think the Vet trip did break her brain though, she stopped using her claws at all on my hands. Still chomps down though.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Sasha got her shots yesterday, she didnt cry on the walk there or during the shots themselves. The techs melted into baby gibberish at her cuteness.
I do think the Vet trip did break her brain though, she stopped using her claws at all on my hands. Still chomps down though.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So that happened, dont know how but my shame is palpable.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Day 5 of Kitten, blood work is clean, booster and poop test in 3 weeks. Shes continues to be a purr machine and has the unnerving habit of sleeping right under my roller-chair, thus basically laying in traffic.

Personally, I am going to be unemployed (planned) for 3 months. This means outside of going out with friends or caring for a sick parent I have a ton of free time which can be devoted to kitten time. I still follow a regular work schedule so I dont get fat(ter), but I still devote about 2 hours to playing with Sasha.
So Im trying to figure out how to have her sleep at night for a good chunk of time or at least get her used to me not paying attention to her 12-8AM. Im doing this by mostly letting her do her own thing in the morning and then only really giving her high-activity play in the afteroon/evening. Is this ok or am I being a monster by not throwing a mouse dozens of times in the morning hours.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Not going to happen.

Welcome to kittens, and to a lesser extent cats in general. This is exactly why this thread so strongly recommends getting kittens in pairs. Your kitten has far, far more energy than you. Period.

Her sister might become available this weekend, and Im already taking a trip so I will be near to pick her up. So enough of that.

Current kitten does take a roughly 6 hour nap from 12-6/7pm every day. Im asking what way would be best to shift that time frame over so she decides to zonk out later in the day. Either that or we just both take naps in the afternoon, shes a good lap warmer.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 6, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Well gently caress. Somehow the kitten got fleas. I do daily brushings and once overs since this is a long haired cat, and all of a sudden shes got flea poo poo near her tail and I saw 3 of them running around her face. I have no idea how this happened since the home she came from has no fleas (this is where they came from duh), and the only other cat person I let over is a Veteran Cat Lady.

I was researching various flea treatment options from the basic flea collars, to some shots that provide coverage for 30 days (Ive read this is the extreme option and causes some cats to get sick).

So my plan is:

1. Flea bath

2. Flea collar, head to to tail coverage.

3. Clean house/ throw down anti-flea stuff.

4. Routine flea treatments. I have no idea what would be good, since I have a young cat.

Kitten is 11 weeks old. Any suggestions for products for the collar, soap, and routine prevention, and something to leave around that house would be appreciated. My idiot brain storming idea is to leave a flea collar under the couch cushion and my mattress to stomp out their hiding places.. Kinda wish the vet caught this when I went in on Monday.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

mistaya posted:

1: DO NOT USE FLEA COLLARS. They're very bad for the cat and often do not even work.
2: DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH A HERTZ LABEL. Hertz has a bad track record of poisoning pets.
3: READ ALL YOUR LABELS. Lots and lots of flea products cannot be used on a kitten less that 12 weeks of age! The product will say on the bottle what age is required for safe use.

Get a bottle of unscented Dawn dishsoap and scrub your kitten in the sink. Start by making a "ring" around the neck to prevent any fleas from trying to rush up to her face and then bathe her like a duck in an oil spill. Don't get her head wet though, if you can help it, or water in her ears.

Anything she's been sleeping on needs to be washed in hot water as it may have eggs on it. Vaccuum everything you can and dump/empty the can/bag immediately. It's not fun but it's a manageable disaster. 11 week old kitten can have Revolution or Capstar I believe if you want to treat the pet directly (which is a good idea) but again, READ YOUR LABELS before you buy anything and make sure you have a safe product for the age and weight of your kitten.

e: If you want home remedies I've heard that using a heat lamp over a plate of soapy water will attract and catch fleas. They go for the heat source, land in the soap and can't get out so they drown. Won't remove eggs but can attract any loose fleas. That said don't leave soapy water plates out unattended in case the kitten thinks it's a water bowl.

e2: You should tell the previous owner about this because if she had fleas they all have fleas.

Ok so thread consensus is ;

1. Flea collars dont work, and will either choke or chemically harm said kitty

2. Use how water to launder all that I can.

3. Daily flea combing

4. Daily vacuuming

5. Monthly flea treatments.

I already called the vet and they just suggested using Frontline/Advantage, and waiting a week. The current plan is a bath, clean house, do laundry, and wait a week before using the Frontline. Also possibly treat my carpets with this stuff called Tropiclean Natural Flea & Tick Carpet Powder. Anyone have any experience with that?

Just to allay my paranioa since this is my first cat. I assume they are ticks because they are small black little oblong thinsg that moved quickly, they were on her head.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Bleh I mispoke, yes fleas.

Post bath report: There was blood. Cat is now dry and by a heating pad.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im just waiting till the end of the week until I start using prophylactic chemicals (she will be 12weeks and a bit heavier). Until then its daily flea checks and flea combing. Whenever she scratches her chin I go in and spot comb and I havent gotten anything. Like every day flea combings doesnt show any fleas, but she did have a bit of flea dirt after the bath.

I really hope her kitten habits stay into adult catshithood. She wont use her claws on me, even when going full bunny kicks. She also invites belly rubs and they arent traps. Unfortunately she has discovered the joy of knocking all the little things on my desk.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
UUUGGHHHHHHHHHH

So my toilet overflowed and I had to do a full house clean, and I decided hey why not do the litter box as well. Now it seems I either have an allergy to one of the cleaners I used for the floor, or the enzyme cleaner, or I have about 100 flea bites on my stomach.

They looked like this reference image, just over my gut area and about 100 of them. They were bright red and raised.
https://www.orkin.com/other/fleas/flea-bites
However, they have all gone away in about 30 minutes, like all gone.

Now assuming the worst, I have flea bites, I am washing my entire bedspread again. Also my Cheristin came in the mail today and once my kitten is napping I will apply it to her.

My question is what can I do to fumigate my mattress. Like can I throw down some of the flea carpet powder under my foam pad or what. Should I just go ahead and call an exterminator? Should I do something stupid and apply the Cheristin to the mattress (under the foam pad and 2 mattress sheets) itself?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 11, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Alucard posted:

Before you go apeshit with flea treament, how closely clustered were they, and were they anywhere your cleaners could have touched? It could be contact dermatitis. If you had that many flea bites in short order you'd probably see the fleas bounding around in your place.

I stayed in a friends place that was flea infested in one room and it was very apparent. Thankfully his side was clear so I slept in his room and neither of us got any of our stuff affected.

Yeah Im now leaning towards contact dermatitis, as I have fairly sensative skin, my kitty isnt going crazy on scratching, and the bumps literally dissapeared in less than 30 minutes. They were randomly scattered with no visible patterns or clusters, kinda like maybe a backspray from a cleaner.

Will get a flea bag for my mattress.

EDIT

Question: Flea treatment warning says not to get into cats eyes or mouth obviously, and advises to apply to the back of the head. However it also says that if you have 2 cats it is ok for them to groom each other after 30 minutes and the solution dries. Wouldnt basic grooming possibly allow the flea treatment to be licked and thus ingested? Should I avoid scratching/petting the back of my kitty's head? Im not trying to over think this Im just curious how this works.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 11, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I think you want as much as possible to get soaked into their skin to kill the fleas. If they lick it, it goes through their digestive system, where there aren't any fleas. Cheristin doesn't do anything to intestinal parasites, so it's useless there. The solvent is probably the main problem. Getting acetone in your eyes hurts like hell.

Remember that Cheristin is a one-time treatment that kills the fleas that are on your pet at the time. It won't kill the fleas in your carpet, or prevent reinfestation when eggs hatch. Long-term flea control is better with a monthly treatment like Revolution. It's more expensive, but keeps working after treatment.

Thank you, I am now informed and less stupid.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I made a terrible mistake the other day.

Sasha was asleep and I was going to bed anyway. So it thought it would be cute to put her on the bed and then I would go to sleep. Normally she would be a wake for an hour at around 12-1am, she would generally be quiet without really playing and just ate, peed, went back to sleep.
Apparently putting her on the bed translated to "wide awake play time" and she spends the next 2 hours attacking my feet and butt while i try to sleep This has been going on for 3 nights. Its the worst mistake Ive made with her which includes nearly rolling over her with my chair or the time her paw got caught in a door while closing it.

Thankfully she still loves belly rubs and has learned to avoid doors.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Gah-

Your lil floofer is adorable. I want to really emphasize that the above poster is VERY incorrect - Cherestin is very much a month long flea treatment and NOT what is described above. Please do not overdose your kitty.

Dont worry everyone I am following the directions on the box, besides it smells bad enough that I dont want to smell it more than once on a monthly basis

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
How long can a 3 month old kitten go without pooping before it becomes a concern. Sasha has a very full belly and managed to find the last bits of Styrofoam in the house and has a habit of eating small pieces of paper. Im only concerned because it turns out I have walking pneumonia and have not been super attentive the last 3 days. Last confirmed poop was within a 12 hour window.

I will of course dutiful inform the thread if she takes a poo poo by tomorrow, as I know everyone wants to be informed of our cats crapping schedules.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im recovering from super bronichits/walking pneumo. I managed to clean yesterday when I wasnt coughing up blood from an esophageal tear.

Somehow Sasha found a small piece of plastic wrapper/bag no larger than a dime. I suspect it was plastic as it crinkled like one but I didnt actually see it, it was just the distinctive sound.. She ate it. I already googled what I should look out for and do, I just wanted the thread to know that while Im coughing up a lung I will be sifting through cat poop for the next 2 days.

Im not terribly worried because for some reason she has mushy poops every other poop, her noon poops are firm and in the standard log shape, but her midnight poops are bit mushy and formless. I hate how my life is now centered around my cats toilet schedule.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I have discovered another joy of cat ownership.

Im finding more of her hair in my boogers than my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So after taking Sasha to the vet I set a new feeding schedule, she now gets fed 1/3 a can at 9am, 3p, and 9pm. This has somehow cured her of her mushy poops, and made them even less smelly some times. Its been a week but theres a marked change in her behavior, she is almost always begging for food and restless. Im a bit worried because now she literally stays active all day, from 9am-9pm, with almost no periods of staying still. Before she used to take naps all over the day but for the last 2 days she barely sleeps and seems hyper active.

Literally she only sleeps when I do, and even then only half the time.