Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
last week

Zion

Bryce Canyon

Delicate Arch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Bottom Liner posted:

last week
Zion

What are you using to process your photos? You've got a ton of hot pixels and I could have sworn both LR and the standard ACR could detect and remove them.
Other then that those photos are dope.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

What are you using to process your photos? You've got a ton of hot pixels and I could have sworn both LR and the standard ACR could detect and remove them.
Other then that those photos are dope.

Only thing I can figure is that my sensor is having some trouble, it is one of the recalled D750 sensors so I need to send it in. It's never been an issue in the past with the same settings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can alleviate some of that with dark frame subtraction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-frame_subtraction

Basically you take a long exposure with the lens cap on and load that as a layer in photoshop on top of your normal image, then use the subtract layer setting and play with the opacity.

Or if the scene (or people near you) allows it, run a flashlight over the terrain so your camera isn't trying to record black.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This av/post combo

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
So the backyard of the place I just moved in to is cool as hell because it's on a cliff overlooking the ocean and there's not a lot of light pollution. The bad news is that the wind is up all the time. Is the best way to deal with that just to get a really heavy tripod or are there some other tricks?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Your tripod probably has a little hook underneath in the center column, you're supposed to hang your camera bag or whatever from that to weigh it down. More expensive tripods and ballheads are more stable but you can go a long way with a cheaper one if you crank the ballhead tight and weigh the tripod down.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If you can, I suppose lowering the tripod & spreading the legs out would also help.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone ever done a multiple exposure style shot of the sun/moon and have some practical advice? Thinking of trying it for the lunar eclipse next month and am sorting out a composition. This type of shot:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mul...bih=916#imgrc=_

It seems like I don't want to go wider than 35mm to avoid the moon being pin sized, but this will limit how much of the moon's path I can capture with a fixed camera. In this case, totality will be 62 minutes long and I want at least twenty minutes on either side to get some of the entry/exit phase too, so figure 100 minutes of captures. However at 35mm the moon will cross the frame in about 55 minutes (less, actually, because I shoot on a crop sensor).

Ideally I'd go even narrower, a bigger moon is cooler, but the moon is going to be quite high in the sky (55 to 68 degrees) so I'm thinking I'm going to have to be fairly close to the foreground I have in mind.

Do most people that do this kind of shot do a pan to keep the moon in frame, assemble in photoshop, then merge in a single foreground frame?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Alright, I repurposed some dive weights as tripod stabilizer weights and it seems like the result is a lot better, though I still need a bunch of practice before I start to be happy with astro stuff. There's more light pollution than I assumed though, and the super high humidity doesn't really help with that, but I can't really complain considering I'm walking like 30 feet from the door.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you using a remote shutter release/the delayed release built into the camera? That would help also.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I use the delay, but I think just the fact that it's so windy up here is going to be my limiting factor. Even the weights will catch the wind and start to shake it on some of the shots.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Atlatl posted:

I use the delay, but I think just the fact that it's so windy up here is going to be my limiting factor. Even the weights will catch the wind and start to shake it on some of the shots.

If you live there I guess it's time to buy a tripod to permanently cement into the ground.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Was iced in at the condo but wanted to photograph some downtown fireworks. Stood in -4 fahrenheit weather up on a hill behind the condo and the fireworks just barely crested the trees.

Good enough. Happy new year, y'all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If I'm stabilizing a tripod I'll use a weight on the ground and an adjustable bungee so the weight is still pulling on the tripod but isn't swinging in the air and causing the very problem it's meant to solve.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Crossposting from the landscape thread

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

cooL!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Nice! I love how well Orion sticks out.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jvick posted:

Nice! I love how well Orion sticks out.

Thanks! Currently enjoying beautifully clear summer nights, just a shame that the Milky Way rises and sets early, so Orion tends to be a key feature :)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from the film thread:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Quick dirty phone edit because I forgot to charge my laptop

Buying a clamp-on camera mount and clamping it to my van was a good call; it's not immune to wind but it takes a lot more to gently caress up the shot than on a 2 lb tripod.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am bad at night time star gazing photography, but I am trying to get better.

Michigan night sky by Adam Duskett, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Took one of jupiter against the milky way from the backyard

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Lagoon and Trifid nebula by Marc, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

First time somewhere with very little light pollution in a long while. I need a wider lens (18mm on a crop is a bit tight) but not a bad first try.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

charliebravo77 posted:

but not a bad first try.

whoah there don't be too hard on yourself.

18mm on a crop is not too tight; this looks bad either because you missed your focus or your shutter was open for too long causing star trails. You also pushed your exposure way too hard resulting in that awful shadow noise.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
not exactly long exposure but there was a cool moon last night

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

RangerScum posted:

whoah there don't be too hard on yourself.

18mm on a crop is not too tight; this looks bad either because you missed your focus or your shutter was open for too long causing star trails. You also pushed your exposure way too hard resulting in that awful shadow noise.

Yeah.....Editing on my phone was not a good idea.

Slightly better:

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I wanted a wider FOV just to get more of the mountains in the shot. I definitely missed focus I think, it was only a 20 second exposure so I don't think that was the culprit. Better luck next time I guess.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Messed around with a film camera and headlamps at a park after hours.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

First attempt at a star trail with a large format film camera, ok but could have gone a lot better. 1.5 hour exposure on 4x5 Ektar 100, f5.6 on a 135mm lens. I intended to go for >2 hours but at 1.5 it started to rain and the lens was fogged by that point anyway so I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did tbh.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I suppose this counts.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_0394.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Last night, playing with my new 35mm prime.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dusk at Delicate. This was about an hour before the one at the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I guess this counts