Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
BLINK came to Cincinnati again, only saw a small portion last night but there are 3 more nights.

Blink Covington 2019 - 1 by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Canyonlands

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

First time trying the star trail thing, pretty fun! Didn't do anything to this other than stacking it with StarStax. Lots of hot pixels it seems..

Couldn't get to my intended subject (a line of rocks leading out to a small island) because the shoreline was flooded there, so this had to do.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Torchlight parade last night.

I’d like to have gotten the mountain brighter. Is there a way to do that in post (LRCC)? I did 10s f/6.4 ISO400. I assume I should have exposed for the mountain at n seconds (spot meter to avoid the torches impacting metering?) and let the lights take care of themselves?

That said, I’m very happy with the result.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd predict that any shutter length that brings out the mountain would blow out the light trails. You can probably do a lot of shadow recovery in LR, but I think the ideal approach would be take a separate exposure for the mountain and blend it in with photoshop.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two long exposure large format film shots, both on Fuji Provia slide film. The first was a 60 second exposure in a backcountry hut by candle light (I should have 'dressed the set' a bit more, it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing).

The second was a 4 hour exposure of the outside of another hut we were sleeping in, unfortunately there was patch cloud blowing through and a nearly full moon that night, so the star trails weren't anywhere near as nice as they could have been, still turned out pretty well I think.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lockdown nights

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lockdown nights, part 2

Capturing the Lyrids meteor shower on the morning of the 23rd. So much satellite traffic out there :(

The bright star below the Milky Way is Jupiter, then below that is Saturn. Mars is below Saturn, but can't be seen as it's behind the roof.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Carina nebula last night

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Starlink satellites were visible over Chicago tonight and everyone on my wife's facebook is slobbering about how cool it was to see. I'm sitting here ranting at her how it's going to permanently gently caress up the night skies and now I feel the need to vent somewhere.

gently caress Elon Musk. :colbert:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

solidarity

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think he's obnoxious but I like that he exists because he's driving a lot of innovation and enabling a lot of smart people to explore things that make the world a more interesting place to live.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He’s not driving innovation he’s stifling it because he’s a capitalist pig. I used to think he was a net good but just a doofus and I was wrong. He’s a loving ghoul.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

He’s not driving innovation he’s stifling it because he’s a capitalist pig. I used to think he was a net good but just a doofus and I was wrong. He’s a loving ghoul.

Sir this is an Arby’s no-contact takeout zone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

well your curly fries are garbage now what happened

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just want night skies of actual stars, not elon musk stars!

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Starry skies ruined by an obnoxious billionaire? Nostalgic for the days before orbiting billboards? Get the authentic real deal with luminar ai sky replacement, enter code SA420 for 2% off now!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

xzzy posted:

Speaking of which..

Thanks Elon!!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

Starry skies ruined by an obnoxious billionaire? Nostalgic for the days before orbiting billboards? Get the authentic real deal with luminar ai sky replacement, enter code SA420 for 2% off now!

Are they actually any more noticeable than the other 2000 or so satellites that are already up there for GPS, telecommunications, military and whatever else?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Starlink satellites are particularly bad because they're low orbit and numerous. Other satellites are visible just after sunset and just before sunrise, when sunlight reflects off their surfaces and solar panels, but the starlink sattelites can poison the sky for astronomers for hours at a time. And there's only going to be more and more of them.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Megabound posted:

Starlink satellites are particularly bad because they're low orbit and numerous. Other satellites are visible just after sunset and just before sunrise, when sunlight reflects off their surfaces and solar panels, but the starlink sattelites can poison the sky for astronomers for hours at a time. And there's only going to be more and more of them.

also musk left those satellites highly reflective as opposed to other satellites that have a non-reflective coating

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I wasn't quite sure which thread to post these in, but this was probably close enough. Last weekend I took some long exposures of fireworks and some of them actually turned out pretty cool! It was my first time using the bulb setting and really my first time doing any night time photography since getting into the hobby a few years ago.

Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPadoGA

Some highlights:

IMG_4950 by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_4971 by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_4983 by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just the one clear evening for Comet 2020 F3 (NEOWISE) in my part of the UK:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried real hard to get a cool shot with a nice foreground, but gently caress me Illinois is devoid of subjects that work well in astrophotography. It doesn't help that the corn is high enough that you can't really see over it anymore, so you need a good subject AND about 8 feet of extra height.

I saw a shot someone did with the comet over the city skyline which is the best I've seen of the area but I wasn't willing to go and steal the idea.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I had several good nights, but I sold my tracking mount a long time ago, and so it was a battle between ISO and star trailing. While I don't think I won that battle, I could have done worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cornfields and grain silos. :geno:

This one is from the weekend of the 18th. I tried to go back out Friday for another shot, but the comet had gotten too dim to see through the city glow. I think I had a more interesting composition lined up but it was not to be. When it comes back in 6800 years I'll make sure to do it proper.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Trees and the tail end of a sunset were what I got Friday night.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I'm heading up into the mountains backpacking this week and hoping to get anything close to as nice as those shots. My longest lens at this point is a 55 or 56mm on my Fuji. Is that enough lens to get something discernably comet like, or is it going to look like a meteor streak? This all assuming I'm not socked in under cloud cover two nights in a row.

I won't be heartbroken if I strike out, I'm really hoping to experiment with Milky Way photography.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think at this point you want at least 200mm. It's at 3.5 magnitude now which is about the same brightness as the North Star. So to compensate you gotta go long.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

20 minute exposure onto some 35mm slide film, bit of a spur of the moment shot so turned out pretty well IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty cool. Most short stair trails look like mistakes, but the hazy background and the flare give it some intent. Is that the Milky Way making the pinks? And what made the flair?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

That's pretty cool. Most short stair trails look like mistakes, but the hazy background and the flare give it some intent. Is that the Milky Way making the pinks? And what made the flair?

Yeah it was the milky way giving the general pink glow. Not sure what the really bright trail was (I assume a planet) or why It flared, potentially a small cloud blew over or some smoke from the wood fire of the cabin we were staying in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

probably saturn, it's pretty bright this month and low in the sky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

probably saturn, it's pretty bright this month and low in the sky.

It broke my brain real bad until I remembered he's a southern hemisphere poster.

So yeah, somewhere in new zealand looking east one could get star trails that arc like that, and Saturn is on that side of the galactic core down thataway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is this the official/unofficial telescope thread?

If so, I have an Orion 130ST EQ with their EQ-2 mount: https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SpaceProbe-130ST-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/p/9007.uts

I just bought a T-mount for it with a Canon EOS ring on it so I can take pictures. I can already tell from watching a million youtube videos on the subject that the next thing I'll want is some sort of motorized mount to follow the stars/planets/moon. I'm not ready to pony up for a go-to mount yet, but there has to be some sort of affordable kit to add clockspring functionality to a regular mount, right? Its very literally just moving a servo motor or a stepper motor at a known speed.

Any advice in this area?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this the official/unofficial telescope thread?

If so, I have an Orion 130ST EQ with their EQ-2 mount: https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SpaceProbe-130ST-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/p/9007.uts

I just bought a T-mount for it with a Canon EOS ring on it so I can take pictures. I can already tell from watching a million youtube videos on the subject that the next thing I'll want is some sort of motorized mount to follow the stars/planets/moon. I'm not ready to pony up for a go-to mount yet, but there has to be some sort of affordable kit to add clockspring functionality to a regular mount, right? Its very literally just moving a servo motor or a stepper motor at a known speed.

Any advice in this area?

I forgot where the astronomy thread was, ...

... but you can get a non-goto mount with a super nice drive for <$1k in the form of a Losmandy GM8. They are old models, but with very little work (they were designed to be worked on) you can get them to deliver very good tracking, and excellent guiding if you ever go down that path.

If you do find the astronomy thread, people who do astrophotography will tell you that the mount is the most critical part of the setup. Whatever your budget, half of it should go towards the mount.

Edit: Found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

So, took my photo gear up into the hills with me backpacking, and was rewarded by mostly socked in days for the whole trip. However, got a lucky break and had a few hours of clear skies at night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get foreground shots I was looking for to do a composite, but relatively pleased with my first attempt. Stacked in Sequator after lousy results in Photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got a mavic air 2 and was trying out some long exposure night shots when i heard sirens. i pointed the gimbal down just in time to snap an ambulance heading through

its wild how stable the ma2 is that it can take 1 second and longer shots without them turning to a blurry mess