Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

No :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I've never been this emotional and hosed up about music before. This legitimately feels like when I found out my parents were getting a divorce. Which was ironically around the same time I found ETID in ~2003. I'm 40 years old now. The thing about "your musical tastes are basically locked in your early 20s" is very true for me, 85% of what I listen to is ETID and Acacia Strain. If TAS call it quits there won't be any current active bands I love anymore. We joke about what a generic genre of music we enjoy, but what that means is when a band actually does stand out, like ETID, losing them is a real blow.

gently caress 2022 forever

edit: I hope Livenation doesn't play loving games with me on this refund request. Not trying to see Underoath. Was gonna leave after ETID played anyway.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 18, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I've never been this emotional and hosed up about music before. This legitimately feels like when I found out my parents were getting a divorce. Which was ironically around the same time I found ETID in ~2003. I'm 40 years old now. The thing about "your musical tastes are basically locked in your early 20s" is very true for me, 85% of what I listen to is ETID and Acacia Strain. If TAS call it quits there won't be any current active bands I love anymore. We joke about what a generic genre of music we enjoy, but what that means is when a band actually does stand out, like ETID, losing them is a real blow.

gently caress 2022 forever

edit: I hope Livenation doesn't play loving games with me on this refund request. Not trying to see Underoath. Was gonna leave after ETID played anyway.

I like the same music I liked in high school and I don't see why that should ever change. Branch out, sure, but stop listening to? Why? I should just stop liking things as I get older? gently caress that poo poo.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I still listen to a good bit of what I listened to in late middle / early high school. Mainly "grunge" stuff (Nirvana in particular).

Korn was late high school for me. I don't really enjoy their stuff anymore, not even the old stuff.

Very late high school is when I found out about *core stuff, and found Zao (name checks out, I know). It amazes me that a band that tumultuous is still putting out bangers.

Meshuggah is still cranking out stuff, too. I've always kind of considered them similar to ETID in that vein of, they have a particular sound, and while each album has its own identity, they're pretty consistent and stay "in their lane" over all, regularly making music.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

lol I had more than one friend (none of which even listen to ETID/-core music) reach out to me last night to offer their condolences

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I still listen to a good bit of what I listened to in late middle / early high school. Mainly "grunge" stuff (Nirvana in particular).

Korn was late high school for me. I don't really enjoy their stuff anymore, not even the old stuff.

Very late high school is when I found out about *core stuff, and found Zao (name checks out, I know). It amazes me that a band that tumultuous is still putting out bangers.

Meshuggah is still cranking out stuff, too. I've always kind of considered them similar to ETID in that vein of, they have a particular sound, and while each album has its own identity, they're pretty consistent and stay "in their lane" over all, regularly making music.

Do you still listen to zao?

Holy poo poo Zao made an album last year??

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As I get older what I've found changed is I give way less of a gently caress if the music I like is perceived as bad. I will listen to Linkin Park every now and then without any shame and I have zero issue rocking out in the car to something super-cheesy like Ice Nine Kills

A lot of my youthful tastes were driven by perception ("all the cool kids listen to Glassjaw and all the posers listen to Blink-182") so as I get older and reject that mentality more, I'm coming across a lot of music that I genuinely enjoy but ignored at the time

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I bought $200 worth of etid shirts and hoodies from their website yesterday. This morning most of their items are sold out. Hmm maybe I DO need that denim Radical jacket....

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

hmm now all of my etid vinyl will shoot up in resell value

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

el B posted:

I bought $200 worth of etid shirts and hoodies from their website yesterday. This morning most of their items are sold out. Hmm maybe I DO need that denim Radical jacket....

only Small and XXL stuff left in a very few items. what a bummer. i snagged what i could even though XXL is big for me. this poo poo'll have to last. maybe i'll get fatter.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

only Small and XXL stuff left in a very few items. what a bummer. i snagged what i could even though XXL is big for me. this poo poo'll have to last. maybe i'll get fatter.

Goddamn you. I have a ton of ETID merch and wasn't planning to buy more, but I decided to take a glance at what they had left in Small and now I have 3 shirts coming my way.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like the same music I liked in high school and I don't see why that should ever change. Branch out, sure, but stop listening to? Why? I should just stop liking things as I get older? gently caress that poo poo.

Agree completely, I wasn't arguing against that. Just remarking that as I age, nothing seems to stand out or hit me anymore. I click on most links in here and it's usually "I could lift to this" but nothing I remember after it stops playing. It's all just so interchangable and generic, for the most part.

XIII posted:

Goddamn you. I have a ton of ETID merch and wasn't planning to buy more, but I decided to take a glance at what they had left in Small and now I have 3 shirts coming my way.

hell yeah

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you still listen to zao?

Holy poo poo Zao made an album last year??

Yes and yes. They were kinda dormant from like 2009 to 2015 or so. I saw them live in 2017 for their Well Intentioned Virus tour, it was great. Their release last year was awesome, still obviously Zao, but quite different too. Reviews of it were positive.

Boy, the name of that album has a different connotation these days...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As I get older what I've found changed is I give way less of a gently caress if the music I like is perceived as bad. I will listen to Linkin Park every now and then without any shame and I have zero issue rocking out in the car to something super-cheesy like Ice Nine Kills

A lot of my youthful tastes were driven by perception ("all the cool kids listen to Glassjaw and all the posers listen to Blink-182") so as I get older and reject that mentality more, I'm coming across a lot of music that I genuinely enjoy but ignored at the time

Growing up in a redneck podunk nothing town (like 115 in my graduating class), I had literally no one to share musical tastes with. Even though like, Korn was an extremely popular band, I got poo poo for liking them in high school.

I'm thankful for a local college radio station for turning me on to the music I love these days. Even reconnected with the DJ who ran the metalcore show on it recently.

By college I was into the "underground" stuff, and again got poo poo for liking it. /shrug, zero fucks given.

That said, Nashville's hardcore/metal scene (at least at the time) was *extremely* loving judgemental on what you liked. So that kind of sucked, too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

Just remarking that as I age, nothing seems to stand out or hit me anymore. I click on most links in here and it's usually "I could lift to this" but nothing I remember after it stops playing. It's all just so interchangable and generic, for the most part.

i know this thread is "grieving" at the moment, and i don't want to come off like an insensitive prick

BUT

this sentiment is pretty much default for most people our age (i'm 37) and it boggles my mind. all the kids i went to shows with every single week when we were ~17-22 still listen to all the stuff that they liked back then and don't bother with anything new. even friends i've made later in life around my age still just like the stuff they listened to in and around high school.

booooring

like what you like, but for me hearing a brand new album that hits just right is 😚👌 there's nothing else like it. it's like chasing the dragon but actually catching it whenever some new band drops new heat. whether you lift to it, headbang in your car to it, or go to a show and stand with your arms folded in the back.. doesn't matter. new awesome music and discovering a sick new band keeping the scene going is a magical thing.

i'm bummed etid broke up, and that they didn't get to do a cool farewell tour/show. but there are so many other sick bands constantly coming out aith cool poo poo to listen to. i was sad for like five seconds.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I still listen to 90% of what I liked in high school but I also try to listen to something new to me almost every day. I would not like to become like my dad who only listens to rock music made between 1965-75.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Right there with you, brother. While ETID is probably my "favorite" band (at least in the sense that, if you were to poll my friends, they're the band that everyone would choose as "XIII's favorite band") and I do love them a whole poo poo ton, I'm not TOO broken up about their split. The writing was on the wall. And it's not like the albums aren't still there. (or that I don't fully expect to see them again at some point in the future)

As much as I love my lovely old bands, I fuckin' LOVE finding lovely new bands. Sometimes that just means New To Me, sometimes it's some obscure band with under 300 monthly listens and only a 4 track EP (these are also the best bands to buy merch from). I genuinely cannot understand people who aren't on the hunt for new tunes. I am constantly trying to find cool new music to listen to and share. Hell, half the time it's not even a band that I particularly like, but I'm like, "oh, poo poo, So-and-So would love this band! I should listen to three albums worth to find the best tracks to send to them."

Sometimes a new band will wear their influences on their sleeve too much, but sometimes they manage to blend 3-4 of my favorites together in a way that hits juuuuust the way I like and it's all I wanna listen to. Or sometimes it's some wild poo poo that I can't think of an easy comparison for. Whatever it is, finding new music/bands loving rules and I pity anyone who longs for the "days of REAL music"

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I love my old albums. I love it when my old fav bands make new albums. I love finding new bands.

I do spend most of my time listening to newer stuff, to the point where I often think "oh man, I need to listen to [some old album] again!" but usually end up checking out some new thing instead. And I'm 40, fyi, just since we're talking about this in regards to age.

Honestly bandcamp has been the largest game changer for me, and helping me discover new music. Big fan of the mathcore index FB / YT pages too.

What I don't really do anymore is go to shows. I think the Nashville scene has died down a lot to begin with, and I just don't keep in touch with who is playing at what venues around here anymore. I also hate driving and parking. And the pile of cigarette smoke from outside constantly (I do not miss it when there used to be smoking inside all the time, my everything would stink). So I'm def a curmudgeon in lots of ways.

But bring on new tunes.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am in genuine envy of you bros who are able to consistently find new bands that genuinely click for you.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/deathoftheparty/status/1483721043562975233?s=21

Sad. Seems like there were issues in the band for a long time. Would be surprised if they put things back together any time soon if at all.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

quote:

This letter makes me realize that I've been idolizing them and I actually know nothing about their personal lives. I've just been projecting my own seemingly parallel life experiences onto them like characters in a boy band. Literal super fan.

In reality, it's nearly impossible to keep a group of 5 highly creative people on the same train. They have all been going in different directions for a decade and this kind of proves that to me. I think if they still had a close relationship they wouldn't be airing out old resentment publicly. You know, like a married couple going through a divorce that should have called it off a decade ago but stayed together for the kids in a loveless, sexless marriage hating each other a little more each and every day as their artificial existence unfolds on Facebook. Projecting, but relevant comparison.

This Reddit post loving nails it, I am not gonna give a poo poo about or follow members of bands anymore, lol. Way easier if they're just faceless beings who produce tunes I like.

I need some new poo poo. I enjoy ETID, The Acacia Strain, Bury Your Dead (up through Beauty and the Breakdown), Blood Has Been Shed, It Dies Today, Knocked Loose, Misery Signals, Kublai Khan TX, Counterparts. Lol at how many of those are from the early 00s and don't make music anymore. Anyway, help me. I worked out without any music this morning just because I'm loving sad about ETID. I think losing them after 2 years of the pandemic and watching the world falling apart and becoming aware that the government is never gonna do anything to help people ever, let alone address climate change, has crack pinged me. lol lmao!!!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bands with siblings in them have the ugliest breakups.

Also uhhhh check out the album that Slowbleed put out last week. It’s very metallic beatdown stuff. Kind of like Xibalba but thrashier.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

rule number 1: idolize no human. zero. none of them.

you can and should respect people for their ideas or for the way they treat you/other people in certain situations benevolently, but every human is fallible and has ugly sides to them which become more and more apparent the closer you get.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Steve posted a huge twitter thread, refuting Keith's claims

https://twitter.com/MitchBHavin

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
annoying that it's not an actual thread and you have to read the tweets in reverse order

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i got a kick out of how shittily he tweeted that, it was a bitch to follow. but yikes. what a shitshow

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/RfXIrY8

Screenshot of tweets from Goose's gf, echoing what Steve tweeted

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Every time I die (inside watching grown men, some of which are family and not well, argue on social media)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also uhhhh check out the album that Slowbleed put out last week. It’s very metallic beatdown stuff. Kind of like Xibalba but thrashier.

I'm not loving the vocalist but the riffs and breakdowns on this go crazy. Thanks. :)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

imagine reading all of these long-winded crybaby he said/she said tweets? who loving caressss

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

imagine reading all of these long-winded crybaby he said/she said tweets? who loving caressss

Correct sentiment but I'm a messy bitch whom loves drama >=)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Dusting off some tapes I remembered enjoying (thanks to the homies in this thread):

The Arson Choir - Revenge, My Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1GnXS6WPo

The Arson Choir - Tracker Jacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVq51qvJugI

The Undertaking! - Oh, Negative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KfIBOw5gA

Johnny Booth - Asymmetrical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9TsbC9oAfo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gently caress yes thank you for reminding me that The Arson Choir exists

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

gently caress yes thank you for reminding me that The Arson Choir exists

This, but The Undertaking as well

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bands with siblings in them have the ugliest breakups.

That's a perfect way to recommend a band — looking forward to checking these guys out

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Last few months have put a bad taste in my mouth Spiritbox not letting hate5six record them (allegedly?), the basically impossible to understand interpersonal drama of ETID

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
hate5six has said that bands decline recordings semi-regularly and it's often for pretty benign reasons and usually related to something in their contracts. I don't think you should change your opinion of a band over it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

TLDR for the ETID split is Keith dressed and sounding exactly like Neil from the Young Ones walking onto to the tour bus saying "uhhhhh guys I hate to break up your bourbon orgy but I kind of need to do my mindfulness right now?"

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the funny thing is apparently andy has been straightedge for like 20 years

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Inspector_666 posted:

hate5six has said that bands decline recordings semi-regularly and it's often for pretty benign reasons and usually related to something in their contracts. I don't think you should change your opinion of a band over it.

i only recently heard about it so that's cool.

Wachter posted:

TLDR for the ETID split is Keith dressed and sounding exactly like Neil from the Young Ones walking onto to the tour bus saying "uhhhhh guys I hate to break up your bourbon orgy but I kind of need to do my mindfulness right now?"

we'll probably never know exactly what happened behind the scenes but i wouldn't be shocked if it was something like this at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if it was completely different either, but y'know

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sounds like the brothers grew to resent each other (politics sounds like it was part of the reason?), and at that point anything the other does, you assume the worst. Keith threw some ultimatums.

The truth is probably that Keith needed to leave the band a while back, and it just festered until everyone got beyond miserable. People grow apart, they tried to make it work, and it only got worse and worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
BrooklynVegan put Steve's tweets into a more readable format. It's definitely hard to come out of this buying Keith's slant on things unless you believe that the rest of the band is outright lying constantly in public about everything now.

Fuckin...every year I "There's always next year"'d about getting to Tid The Season and welp.