Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Too cool for the thread ShoogaSlim style opinion: I never liked Trivium

Seconding the Veil of Maya and We Came as Romans love though. Everything duck said about WeCAR is on point. Glad they're back. And the new Veil didn't blow me away on first listen, but it's suuuuper growing on me the more I play it. There's lots of little schizophrenic freak out parts (like the one at about the @3:00 mark in Graymail) that extremely do it for me, like some poo poo Oceans Ate Alaska would come up with (for the record I think their last release is still my 2017 tape of the year in the clubhouse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kumba posted:

ftfy

Vengeance Falls was seriously one of the most disappointing releases I can remember ever listening to. I am one of the few people that absolutely loving loves In Waves and was floored by how terrible VF was in comparison. gently caress off forever Draiman.

Silence in the Snow is fine enough for what it is I guess, just not my cup of tea. This one is really good though and I can see it growing even more on me

Funny, I just listened to In Waves the other day for the first time in awhile. It's a good album, just that after Shogun it seemed a little...directionless?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Beelzebozo posted:

Too cool for the thread ShoogaSlim style opinion: I never liked Trivium

I wonder if the lead singer ever thinks about the time they played The Downtown in Long Island, NY (RIP) on a mostly breakdown hardcore/metalcore show and had an awful reaction from the crowd including one of my friends standing in the middle of the pit mooning the band.

What a lovely band.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wonder if the lead singer still wears Trivium shirts when they play

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wonder if the lead singer ever thinks about the time they played The Downtown in Long Island, NY (RIP) on a mostly breakdown hardcore/metalcore show and had an awful reaction from the crowd including one of my friends standing in the middle of the pit mooning the band.

What a lovely band.

I think we talked about this in the thread but if that show also featured Darkest Hour, Whitechapel, and some other bands I was there and lol yeah nobody gave a good gently caress about Trivium. Although I think it was at the Crazy Donkey.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
RIP Crazy Donkey

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm of the firm belief that "gently caress bands that wear their own merch"

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

I approve of Oceano doing this after I saw them live Friday. Fuuuuck me that was heavy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
blood incantation arent whatever-core but they are the best recent death metal band imo and they wear their own shirts like they dont even own other clothes

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Parachute posted:

blood incantation arent whatever-core but they are the best recent death metal band imo and they wear their own shirts like they dont even own other clothes

starspawn loving owns

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Why

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm of the firm belief of "I like bands that make music I like"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Because I have stupid opinions that I can't always explain. I don't care so much that it will change my enjoyment of the music, but it will make me roll eyes

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

XIII posted:

https://twitter.com/SumerianRecords/status/922940618392793091

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I mean SFTP blow but that’s a merch promo pic dog, lol

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

RIP Crazy Donkey

I remember catching Shai Hulud with Born of Osiris and After the Burial there almost 10 years ago, really good show. RIP indeed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember seeing Symphony X for the first time at L'Amour, like a year before it closed. That place was sweet.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

This is hilarious but I'm not at all surprised.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
New Veil is, as has been said, really drat good. I was surprised to see positive views of WCAR here, will have to give their new stuff a listen soon.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i havent listened to a trivium all the way through since shogun but this new one is real good

i just wish matt would abandon the awful radio metal david draiman style clean vocals though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WSOU's been playing songs off the new Trivium album and I haven't heard one yet that was even remotely good

They haven't even played anything off the new Through the Eyes of the Dead or WCAR =/

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like the title track then yeah the album is not going to be for you

I love it though

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

At HOB in Orlando right now to see Trivium and Arch Enemy. Can confirm the opening band (I think As She Sleeps) sucks. Have people who say Trivium is derivative ever heard this band?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
If I wasn't at a conference in Clearwater for the last 3 days I'd be there with you, pissed I'm missing it

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Carl Seitan posted:

At HOB in Orlando right now to see Trivium and Arch Enemy. Can confirm the opening band (I think As She Sleeps) sucks. Have people who say Trivium is derivative ever heard this band?

:allbuttons:

Yeah, they fuckin suck rear end

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 28, 2017

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Anyone here follow the Japanese metalcore scene? I've been pretty into it for a few years, and it's cool seeing bands like Crossfaith having a decent amount of success overseas. Lately it looks like Crystal Lake is also trying to break through more internationally, and their latest song is pretty dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX8RTjUUcLE

There's a lot of weird experimentation going on with other Japanese metalcore bands, but Crystal Lake has always been pretty straight-forward. They do feel like they're just getting better with each release though (although I love their early Rollin' cover).

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 28, 2017

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

japan has always had a great -core scene, from bands like envy and heaven in her arms to coldrain but yeah most of these bands do it a bit different and not straight up

this is good stuff though

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
I'm a sucker for chants and Four Walls by While She Sleeps is everything I wanted in a track.

Thank you for introducing me to Crystal Lake though, holy drat Apollo is amazing

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
If anyone's interested in other Japanese metalcore bands that might not be very well-known outside of Japan, some of my favorites are:

Her Name in Blood - started out as more deathcore (example), but from The Beast onwards have been pretty straight metalcore.

Before My Life Fails - consistently good band, I quite like their vocals.

Each of the Days - saw these guys with August Burns Red and Crossfaith in 2012 and was immediately hooked, awesome sound with double drummers and a certain catchiness, however that only lasted for their first album, and they went through some lineup changes before their weaker second album.

Ashley Scared the Sky/Make My Day - Originally known as Ashley Scared the Sky, but changed their name to Make My Day a while ago when they switched their vocalist. Despite some synths and not great clean vocal parts, they can get pretty intense.

New Breed - A lot more poppy with plenty of synths, but if you don't mind that they're pretty catchy.

Hysteric Panic - Not sure I expect anyone other than me to actually like this, but this is definitely more on the experimental side, transitioning from gutturals to straight upbeat pop to like 3 other genres all within the same song.

Kiba of Akiba - My personal favorite band, although that's partly because of their lyrics. Still, I think their sound is similar to Crossfaith in that they manage to integrate the synthy poppy stuff while still rocking pretty hard. Stay away from their more recent stuff though, they switched out like half the members and got a new vocalist, and since then they're a lot worse imo.

Beyond that, you could check out A Ghost of Flare, The Twisted Harbor Town or Fate in Spiral for traditional metalcore, or Artema and Fear From the Hate for the more synthy stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKqOp2YHfhI

New Converge track/video.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Everything about Japanese hardcore/metalcore I learned from this song a billion years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051tj2ImFKQ

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

the album leaked a couple days early and it is incredible

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
New Converge is fully loving sick. Title track, Reptilian and Cannibals are absolute gold. AOTY

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

This fuckin Polaris tape though. Holy gently caress AOTY is gonna be tight this year. Top 10 even is gonna leave out some extremely good poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Omnikin posted:

New Converge is fully loving sick.

Evergreen post

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Omnikin posted:

New Converge is fully loving sick.

yes.

Beelzebozo posted:

This fuckin Polaris tape though.

Never heard of them, now I have something to look forward to today!

e: wait is this the same Polaris that did the Pete & Pete theme song 30 years ago??

e2: ok definitely not

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

This fuckin Polaris tape though. Holy gently caress AOTY is gonna be tight this year. Top 10 even is gonna leave out some extremely good poo poo.

Youtube was trying to push these guys on me yesterday, so I guess I'll circle back around and check them out.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

e: wait is this the same Polaris that did the Pete & Pete theme song 30 years ago??

e2: ok definitely not

lol definitely not that group, but shout outs to Pete & Pete. sup fellow olde :corsair:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

lol definitely not that group, but shout outs to Pete & Pete. sup fellow olde :corsair:

:hfive:

Solid album from them, I'll have to check out their other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

Solid album from them, I'll have to check out their other stuff

Just a couple EPs before this. Super solid for a debut full-length, particularly the production.