Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Digging All That Remains' Overcome album right now. I'm just stumbling around trying to explore metalcore, but it's working so far in my favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Schneider Heim posted:

Digging All That Remains' Overcome album right now. I'm just stumbling around trying to explore metalcore, but it's working so far in my favor.

Oh poo poo, nobody tell him what happens after that. :ohdear:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Even the next album has its high points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KIAhT_lKA

It's really after this one it starts going WAY down hill

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Beelzebozo posted:

They don't really go off the deep end until that album they put out in 2012. Overcome and the one that came after it are perfectly serviceable albums, with some good songs on them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fall of Ideals was the last good AAR album and nobody will convince me otherwise :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Fall of Ideals was the last good AAR album and nobody will convince me otherwise :colbert:

I read a rumor somewhere once, and this is probably totally bullshit because I've never seen anyone say it again, that Mike from Killswitch (who also produced the album) wrote a large portion of the music on Fall of Ideals.

Which...isn't totally out of the realm of possibilities because Fall of Ideals is so much better (and sounds pretty different) than the rest of their albums?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read a rumor somewhere once, and this is probably totally bullshit because I've never seen anyone say it again, that Mike from Killswitch (who also produced the album) wrote a large portion of the music on Fall of Ideals.

Which...isn't totally out of the realm of possibilities because Fall of Ideals is so much better (and sounds pretty different) than the rest of their albums?

I'd believe it. I could definitely imagine Killswitch vocals on some of those tracks.

It was their guitarist who produced the album though.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'd believe it. I could definitely imagine Killswitch vocals on some of those tracks.

I can too, but that's not too much of a leap to make since Phil LaBonte wasn't far from becoming the new KSE vocalist when Jesse left (he was 2nd after Howard Jones, IIRC). The bands have similarities, especially in the earlier ATR years.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
LaBonte also covered for Howard when he was deep in his depression right before he quit KSE for good

I was at the Orlando show where they had to cancel after waiting between bands for an hour because Howard "hurt his back" but as it turned out he just couldn't bring himself to get on stage due to depression/anxiety. poo poo sucks and is real, glad he got it straightened out even though his new band isn't good

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Same. Everything Howard's done since KSE has been uhhh not my thing, but I am happy he's happy and healthy. I really enjoyed him in KSE, and still play the heck out of Blood Has Been Shed's tapes as well. They were wild.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

It was their guitarist who produced the album though.

Argh, meant to say Adam D :downs:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

The Dark Wind posted:

I'll never forget coming across Parkway Drive about 11 years ago and not being initially interested in their music. Then they played on some tour that come through America about a year or so later, and there we still like two or three bands left to play but holy poo poo did the entire venue transform when they came on. Never saw anything like it and I immediately devoured all their music. Some of my favorite live concerts were with PWD, but the last two or three times I've had a chance to see them I passed up because I knew they'd play their newer stuff and honestly it just doesn't appeal to me. Super depressing. At this point I just pretend they broke up and there's a new band with the same name playing totally different music.

One of my favorite moments in my own personal music history was stumbling onto Dillinger and Parkway opening for Killswitch back in like ‘06. I’d never heard of either band at the time and just had my face melted off. They may be playing arena rock anthem nonsense now but that was a formative moment for my musical taste. Saw them again during the Ire tour and they still loving ripped.

I just got back from an Astronoid/Plini/Tesseract show and it was dope. Until some dude puked on me as I was heading to the bathroom before I left. Had to wash my shoes in the bathroom sink. Not cool man.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 9, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
google play told me there was new music from Persefone, and I went to go look at it thinking maybe it was some remix or instrumental thing from Aathma, but instead I get

algorithms!! :argh:

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Spotify used to have a Christian lite-rock/RnB Nails listed on the same page as Nails.

It was fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nails is actually a great name for a Christian metal band but not a Christian lite rock one.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Which is which?

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Last FM loved to notify you about artists who shared the name with someone way more popular, meaning you would get news about a new Dio album which turns out to be from some random Dutch RnB artist.

These are pretty funny, though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/PolarisAus/status/996393707938070528

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Hard pass. Maybe next time, Polaris. :shrug:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

You could always just leave after ABR, I know I would

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There is no chance I'm missing Polaris coming to the US for their first time (I think?)

I will absolutely watch those openers and peace the gently caress out

Actually I'll be at the Orlando date so plenty of time for the PWD setlist to come out and maybe I'll stick around for part of it if they play stuff off Horizons and Deep Blue but probably not

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

You could always just leave after ABR, I know I would

:same:

My exact plan. And hell yeah this is worth driving an hour and a half for :rock:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are the bands that this thread doesn't like very much? Lurking around and it seems Parkway Drive isn't popular (I tried listening to them and they didn't really catch my interest)... FFDP too?

I haven't really developed much of a taste for the genre yet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A lot of people, myself included, dislike Emmure. Others like them. (they have MAYBE three good songs)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Schneider Heim posted:

What are the bands that this thread doesn't like very much? Lurking around and it seems Parkway Drive isn't popular (I tried listening to them and they didn't really catch my interest)... FFDP too?

I haven't really developed much of a taste for the genre yet.

Everyone in this thread will absolutely HATE FFDP.

With that said, I mostly listened to your standard hard rock (buttrock/dadrock as often mentioned here) but over the past few months I've been listening to more metalcore. Over the past week I pretty much went through this entire thread (you guys are insane) and made a big list of stuff to sample. I'll admit I still can't get into harsh vocals.

Here is some of the stuff I've liked and will probably be met with mixed reviews in this thread:
Architects
Polaris - My personal favorite
Bring Me The Horizon
While She Sleeps
Betraying the Martyrs
We Came As Romans
Code Orange
Parkway Drive
Vanna
August Burns Red
The Dillinger Escape Plan

Here's the stuff I haven't got to yet:
Unearth
Palm Reader
Northlane
Miss May I
Erra
Counterparts
Oceans Ate Alaska
Wage War
Ice Kills Nine

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

wandler20 posted:

Everyone in this thread will absolutely HATE FFDP.

With that said, I mostly listened to your standard hard rock (buttrock/dadrock as often mentioned here) but over the past few months I've been listening to more metalcore. Over the past week I pretty much went through this entire thread (you guys are insane) and made a big list of stuff to sample. I'll admit I still can't get into harsh vocals.

Here is some of the stuff I've liked and will probably be met with mixed reviews in this thread:
Architects
Polaris - My personal favorite
Bring Me The Horizon
While She Sleeps
Betraying the Martyrs
We Came As Romans
Code Orange
Parkway Drive
Vanna
August Burns Red
The Dillinger Escape Plan

Unearth
Palm Reader
Northlane
Miss May I
Erra
Counterparts
Oceans Ate Alaska
Wage War
Ice Kills Nine

don't miss Every Time I Die, maybe you tried them but didn't list them, but they are critical

Low Teens is a fine introduction, Hot drat was their breakthrough, every album has great songs on it

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
can't get into harsh vocals, but Polaris is a favorite :confused:

kidding aside that's a pretty good list.i don't listen to a lot of those bands regularly but they certainly fit in here

also it's Ice Nine Kills not Ice Kills Nine :v:, their latest one Every Trick in the Book seems like it'd be right up your alley given the rest of your list. You'd probably also like Darkest Hour's self-titled from a few years ago, though I think I'm alone in this thread loving that record.

For harsher stuff, you should absolutely get into Unearth next, particularly Watchers of Rule and The Oncoming Storm as those are incredible, and then everything else Darkest Hour has done. Darkest Hour's Undoing Ruin is considered by many to be the -core magnum opus and I can't say I disagree

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Palm Reader are so goddamn good an also I will fight whoever doesn't like DEP.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

emdash posted:

don't miss Every Time I Die, maybe you tried them but didn't list them, but they are critical

Low Teens is a fine introduction, Hot drat was their breakthrough, every album has great songs on it

Pro advice right here. The Big Dirty is one of my all time favorite albums, but I'm just a huge ETID fanboy so I dig 'em all.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll be sure to add that stuff to my list.

Not sure why I missed Every Time I Die, but yeah, definitely digging them.

kumba posted:

can't get into harsh vocals, but Polaris is a favorite :confused:

kidding aside that's a pretty good list.i don't listen to a lot of those bands regularly but they certainly fit in here

also it's Ice Nine Kills not Ice Kills Nine :v:, their latest one Every Trick in the Book seems like it'd be right up your alley given the rest of your list. You'd probably also like Darkest Hour's self-titled from a few years ago, though I think I'm alone in this thread loving that record.

For harsher stuff, you should absolutely get into Unearth next, particularly Watchers of Rule and The Oncoming Storm as those are incredible, and then everything else Darkest Hour has done. Darkest Hour's Undoing Ruin is considered by many to be the -core magnum opus and I can't say I disagree

I guess by harsh I meant the really growley stuff like Between The Buried and Me. The music is great, but the vocals kill it for me.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

wandler20 posted:

I mostly listened to your standard hard rock (buttrock/dadrock as often mentioned here)

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/996834542559350785

Malaria Playboy
Aug 28, 2014

Inform

wandler20 posted:

Unearth
Palm Reader
Northlane
Miss May I
Erra
Counterparts
Oceans Ate Alaska
Wage War
Ice Kills Nine

As someone who adores both bands, I feel like you'd really like Counterparts since you dig Architects. Tragedy Will Find Us is a good jumping off point, but their earlier work is raw as gently caress and worth a spin too.
Saw both of them live a couple of months ago and Counterparts was easily the most violent pit I've ever been in. Architects put on a KILLER show, top 5 in my entire lifetime

Also anyone that clowns on Dillinger will be shot on sight

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo rock band still exists?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah it does

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll be sure to add that stuff to my list.

Not sure why I missed Every Time I Die, but yeah, definitely digging them.

I guess by harsh I meant the really growley stuff like Between The Buried and Me. The music is great, but the vocals kill it for me.

For BTBAM, if you're not into the harsh stuff then maybe start with one of their most recent releases, Coma Ecliptic. It's much "softer" than a lot of their music but just as epic and technical. Coma Ecliptic and Colors are probably my two favorite albums of all time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Every BTBAM release forces me to totally reevaluate my heirarchy of albums of theirs

Automata I is reeeeally good y'all

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

gently caress yeah it does

:hfive:

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Anyone else into Forgetting The Memories? Their last album loving ripped and the new poo poo doesn't disappoint.

https://youtu.be/UlbIkUYY2zM

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Anyone else into Forgetting The Memories? Their last album loving ripped and the new poo poo doesn't disappoint.

https://youtu.be/UlbIkUYY2zM

Uh, I am now. Never heard of these dudes, but that song was very enjoyable.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is new The Afterimage day, and THR have posted an unlisted full album stream today:
https://youtu.be/Qdstl-CKFhg?list=PLG71P8eT4DF2wilhW1GTLTzHNCrt57L7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Have y'all heard of Black Matter Device before? A friend of mine just showed them to me and holy gently caress do they rip. Something of a crossup between Dillinger Escape Plan/Ion Dissonance/Converge:

https://blackmatterdevice.bandcamp.com/