Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

-Atom- posted:

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.

Guess i saw them on an off night then, but yeah, Hail Destroyer kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

-Atom- posted:

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.

Truth. I saw Cancer Bats with Alexisonfire and ETID and they were badass. I didn't know what they looked like at the time (this was when their first album had just come out) and was chilling at the merch table. The singer was right there and was like, "Dude, this album is real good. You should check it out, man," and he convinced me to buy it.

Needless to say, I felt pretty :downs: when I saw him pick up the mic later on. Great purchase though, and I prefer it over the new album. Southern influences and all.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I guess this is the thread to discuss the new He Is Legend record, "It Hates You" - which fuckin' kicks rear end. The intro riff on "That's Nasty" is so mean, bordering on drone-ish.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ScottABoy posted:

The new Kissy Face Fashion Faux Pas album is pretty loving good.
This is one of the worst bands in the entire universe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rose Funeral is pretty loving heavy. The song I was hoping to reference, "Buried Beneath", isn't on their Myspace but those other ones are pretty good too.
Any love for A .12 Gauge Tragedy? They seem to have just broken up however."It's Not Rape If She's Dead" is what caught my attention when I was going through their songs on Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/rosefuneral
http://www.myspace.com/a12gaugetragedy

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Eight Is Legend posted:

The intro riff on "That's Nasty" is so mean, bordering on drone-ish.

This is exactly the word I want to hear used for a riff. Awesome.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Eight Is Legend posted:

I guess this is the thread to discuss the new He Is Legend record, "It Hates You" - which fuckin' kicks rear end. The intro riff on "That's Nasty" is so mean, bordering on drone-ish.

Haha jesus gently caress, that riff. That's awesome.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

Here Comes The Kraken .

Yussssss HCTK is loving amazing. To me they seem to be just the right mix between breakdowns and riffing. This is the only "metal" band I've heard that's from Mexico, so if they're any indication, we may have some pretty awesome bands coming in the future.

After the Burial
This is currently one of my favorite bands (right behind PWD of course :haw:). I'm terrible with classifying bands, but if I had to take a guess I'd say they're a sort of mathcore/metalcore hybrid. I don't particularly care for their latest CD Rareform, but Forgiving a Future Self has some amazing songs on it (Isolation Theory would give you a general idea of the album, not to mention it's brutal as hell). Here's a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlkfVOI71Q The quality isn't amazing, but I guess it could have been worse. Also, the song "Fingers like Daggers" off the same album is pretty drat good as well.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 30, 2009

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

deadwing posted:

haha, now you're in my domain. scenecore is my specialty. first, check the new The Word Alive EP, Empires out. it kicks a lot of rear end.

Greeley Estates. their latest disk, Go West Young Man... kicks a ton of rear end.

I See Stars. 3D has been described by some as a better version of Attack Attack!. I think they're fairly different, but still worth checking out

In Fear and Faith. it's like attack attack!, but with more structured songwriting and lyrics about pirates. hearing the singer scream PIIIIRATES LIFE FOR ME over a sick breakdown made me a convert.

hell, just look through Rise Records and The Artery Foundation's roster until you find something you like.

Rise Records pretty much suck save for a few bands.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Eight Is Legend posted:

Woah, this rules

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Roasted Donut posted:

Woah, this rules

You're goddamn right it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7qIndbJiY

This is currently my favorite song from the CD - the chorus is so huge and arena-worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFeo_hB8z0

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 30, 2009

ScottABoy
Mar 15, 2004
I AM A LIAR

Spiral posted:

This is one of the worst bands in the entire universe.

Perhaps a bit harsh in a thread where Attack Attack! has been reccomended?

In other news The Prevalent Reaping are pretty loving heavy.

ScottABoy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 31, 2009

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ScottABoy posted:

Perhaps a bit harsh in a thread where Attack! Attack! has been reccomended?

In other news The Prevalent Reaping are pretty loving heavy.

It's Attack Attack! with only one exclamation mark :ssh:

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Eight Is Legend posted:

Next time, warn us that the song sucks major dick after the intro.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Eight Is Legend posted:

It's Attack Attack! with only one exclamation mark :ssh:

They're still loving terrible.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ScottABoy posted:

Perhaps a bit harsh in a thread where Attack! Attack! has been reccomended?
Check out one of their shows and you'll see what I mean.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Why do you guys have to hate? I mean I can't say I'm a fan of Attack or anything but they aren't the worst band ever and your just making GBS threads all over the thread

edit: And they put on a pretty good show

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Why do you guys have to hate? I mean I can't say I'm a fan of Attack or anything but they aren't the worst band ever and your just making GBS threads all over the thread

No. They're very much the worst band ever. But it can also be argued that 90% of the bands listed in this thread are ~~horrible~~

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

You have never seen a "good show".

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

An American Shootout is another great band I've heard somewhat recently. The breakdown in Divergence is particularly awesome.

On the subject of Attack Attack!... honestly, I don't particularly care for them, but I'm sure there some person's favorite band, and arguing over the internet isn't going to change it :supaburn:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Mmmmm I absolutely love me some Parkway. Anyone seen them live? I have. Three times. 'Tis wonderful indeed

Seen them twice. Once at the Gold Coast and another time at an AA show in Mackay, in Queelsnand. When I saw them at the Gold Coast it was only a few months after Killing With a Smile was released in Australia and the number of dickhead fans were on a low because they didn't have much exposure at that point. They played at 11:30 am and in 40 degree C heat just after it had rained the night before. Mud everywhere. Was loving horrendous. Show ruled though.

Busting out a heap of Mastodon lately, not really metalcore but I doubt it would get much of a good reception in the metal thread so would prefer to discuss it here. Leviathan is of course an awesome album but Crack The Skye would have to be one of the best albums released this decade. Good for punching cones.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 31, 2009

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
What do Winds of Plague count as? The amount of breakdowns scream some kind of -core. Great band though, although their Decimate the Weak album took forever to grow on me. Their new stuff....not so much so far.

And second the OP's mention of All Shall Perish. I'm finally getting to see them in Indy on Oct 3, and I'm loving pumped. Although its sad that Chris Storey left the band.

fake edit: Never thought of Black Dahlia as metalcore. Just melodic death. Although the few tracks out there off the new disc seem to lean that way.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

l33tfuzzbox posted:

What do Winds of Plague count as? The amount of breakdowns scream some kind of -core. Great band though, although their Decimate the Weak album took forever to grow on me. Their new stuff....not so much so far.

I didn't know they had new stuff, but they are textbook "deathcore" for sure. Decimate the Weak was a big favorite of mine for a couple months then it suddenly became uninteresting for me, I dunno why. I'll blast the new stuff though and see how it is.

quote:

And second the OP's mention of All Shall Perish. I'm finally getting to see them in Indy on Oct 3, and I'm loving pumped. Although its sad that Chris Storey left the band.

:c00l: they are absolutely FANTASTIC live, or at least they were when I saw them. Acacia Strain was headlining the show but ASP stole it from them. Their energy is incredible and they nail every part perfectly, including such hits as the ending of "Laid to Rest". On that note, they also struck a nice balance of old and new, playing 2 songs from their first one, 3 from their second and 2 from their new (then-unreleased) album. Best performance I've ever seen next to Parkway Drive.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Traitorous Leopard posted:

After the Burial
This is currently one of my favorite bands (right behind PWD of course :haw:). I'm terrible with classifying bands, but if I had to take a guess I'd say they're a sort of mathcore/metalcore hybrid. I don't particularly care for their latest CD Rareform, but Forgiving a Future Self has some amazing songs on it (Isolation Theory would give you a general idea of the album, not to mention it's brutal as hell). Here's a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlkfVOI71Q The quality isn't amazing, but I guess it could have been worse. Also, the song "Fingers like Daggers" off the same album is pretty drat good as well.

They rerecorded their latest release, Rareform, with a new vocalist. I don't know what the scheduled release is on it, but you can find it somewhere since it's leaked. New vox sound way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYwTeRHNlw

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MalConstant posted:

They rerecorded their latest release, Rareform, with a new vocalist. I don't know what the scheduled release is on it, but you can find it somewhere since it's leaked. New vox sound way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYwTeRHNlw

I guess I just prefer their old vocals, but these new ones aren't that bad either.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Find me a band heavier than the acacia strain. My username is named after them. They break my dick EVERY TIME.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Demolisher posted:

Find me a band heavier than the acacia strain. My username is named after them. They break my dick EVERY TIME.

Born of Osiris has some pretty heavy moments. The Faceless is loving crazy, but they're not heavy like The Acacia Strain.

Try out Shinto Katana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOTTXyHbgQ). That song and Frozen are pretty drat good, and they sound kind of like TAS.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Born of Osiris has some pretty heavy moments. The Faceless is loving crazy, but they're not heavy like The Acacia Strain.

Try out Shinto Katana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOTTXyHbgQ). That song and Frozen are pretty drat good, and they sound kind of like TAS.

You helped fill something inside my heart today.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Demolisher posted:

You helped fill something inside my heart today.

:dance:

First thing I thought of when I heard them was they remind me a lot of the strain.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

:dance:

First thing I thought of when I heard them was they remind me a lot of the strain.

They are kind of sloppy though :(.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
No Wings to Speak Of is the band you are looking for: http://www.myspace.com/nwtsomosh

Liferuiner is the other band for you: http://www.myspace.com/xlifexruinerx

:c00lbert:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ETERNAL LORD IS ANOTHER SUCH FAVORITE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0OEYR21Ik

HERE ARE SOME KEY TAPES FROM NO WINGS TO SPEAK OF AND ALSO LIFERUINER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpbPASgWPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKY703gCX8g

(joke song but insanely heavy]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ly47MxsJrY

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
My friend burned me a copy of the Attack Attack! album and I think we can go without saying that this band has officially jumped the scene-core shark.

Auto-tuner, breakdowns and electro beats. Oh my.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 2, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

-Atom- posted:

My friend burned me a copy of a Attack Attack! album and I think we can go without saying that this band has officially jumped the scene-core shark.

Auto-tuner, breakdowns and electro beats. Oh my.

I'm not sure what "jumped the shark" means but I think all of us normal people can agree that Attack Attack is loving horrible. They deserve to reside in the same mass grave as BrokeNcyde.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

krustster posted:

I'm not sure what "jumped the shark" means but I think all of us normal people can agree that Attack Attack is loving horrible. They deserve to reside in the same mass grave as BrokeNcyde.

That's not fair. No band deserves to be compared to Brokencyde. Those guys are garbage.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

Happy Days reference where Fonzie ramped over a shark on water skis. This was supposedly a ploy to boost viewer ratings but it was such a massive swerve from the main "plot" of the show that it just ended up being dumb.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

Eight Is Legend posted:

I wasn't sure where to talk about them either, but the main verses and riffs to "Primarily Blues" are heavy as hell. I need to give this album a sit-down-hold-still listen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

I've been out of the metalcore loop for a few years now, but does/did Tosin Abasi play guitar for Born of Osiris? He's not listed on their Wikipedia page, but some Metalsucks article says he does/did.

Anyway, we toured with Reflux for like a month back when he was in that band, and we exchanged techniques a lot and I am a much better player now because of him :3: He's a really cool dude.

Sorry, seeing Born of Osiris mentioned sparked a little nostalgia in me. Also, Reflux was a really good band.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

new Born of Osiris tape is really good especially "Exist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I've been out of the metalcore loop for a few years now, but does/did Tosin Abasi play guitar for Born of Osiris? He's not listed on their Wikipedia page, but some Metalsucks article says he does/did.

Anyway, we toured with Reflux for like a month back when he was in that band, and we exchanged techniques a lot and I am a much better player now because of him :3: He's a really cool dude.

Sorry, seeing Born of Osiris mentioned sparked a little nostalgia in me. Also, Reflux was a really good band.

All I could really find was the metal sucks article as well. Seems credible enough :colbert: