Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I finally gave the new Dr. Acula tape a fair chance and found that they're wildly improved; some of the songs on there are actually really entertaining. Like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTy_vjm7JFo

even if you don't like it we can all probably agree that it's light years ahead of the utter poo poo that they were making before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So the new Human Abstract album is floating around now. It's pretty good, except for one song "holographic sight" that's honestly pretty bad.

Overall though very good. Nothing super-spooge worthy though, IMO.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I just got done smokin and listened to that instrumental intro song and it killed me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Don Mega posted:

I just got done smokin and listened to that instrumental intro song and it killed me.

Be prepared to die again when you realize how short the album is :(

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

New THA is pretty good, but it is very short. Some of the clean vocal parts sound kinda Muse-y which I like. Complex Terms might be my favorite track so far.

Also, don't know if these guys have been posted in the thread yet, but I think I found them off one of the Counterparts links posted earlier.

Structures - Still Waters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1qeZ_lb2Dc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2011

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

New THA is pretty good, but it is very short. Some of the clean vocal parts sound kinda Muse-y which I like. Complex Terms might be my favorite track so far.

Also, don't know if these guys have been posted in the thread yet, but I think I found them off one of the Counterparts links posted earlier.

Structures - Still Waters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1qeZ_lb2Dc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I thought we had talked about them before but I might have just been talking about them with friends or something. Structures is hella awesome though. "Transitions" is my favorite song by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRtB_tw_kCc

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Winds of Plague's new song is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSbfjhqlEr8

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at
Love Structures, awesome dudes too.

Not sure if it's been talked about yet, but two amaaazing bands I had a chance to see last week were Last Chance to Reason and The Contortionist.

I've loved Last Chance to Reason since Level 1 came out like four years ago, and Level 2 is dropping soon and is going to be INSANE. They're pretty progressive but have dirty, super tech breakdowns. If you check out their youtube channel there are videos of the drummer showing some of the polyrhythms he plays in new songs. Definitely worth watching, they know their poo poo.

Contortionist is also ridiculous too. Both bands are pretty much masters of wack timing and definitely worth checking out if mathcore is your bag. I find the Contortionist way heavier and basically the kind of band you just jump up and down to while they play the most brutal breakdown you've ever heard, all the while switching the up and down beats every bar. All of that is interspersed with some cool melodic/atmospheric parts that are also very well done.

https://www.myspace.com/thecontortionistband Check out Flourish first, arguably their best track but I definitely recommend listening to the full album, it's unreal.

https://www.myspace.com/lastchancetoreason they have a couple tracks from the new album up and they're both pretty sick. They are also releasing a video game that they designed to coincide with the new album, I'm not that into gaming but it looks pretty cool too.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

techno allah posted:

Winds of Plague's new song is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSbfjhqlEr8

Yeah it's pretty good and I hope the full tape ends up being as good. "Evil loving fears me!" good cheesy fun.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I did a forum search for these guys and didn't find a single mention in this thread or any other.

There's a band from Italy called Amia Venera Landscape who play some of the best progressive metalcore I've ever heard, and they released their debut album, entitled The Long Procession, towards the end of 2010.
Here's a live video of the first track off the album, a couple years before its release, and their official video for another track. Fantastic, atmospheric stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wickacha posted:

The Contortionist.

Hey, my buddy just intro'd me to these guys! loving good poo poo.

Also, I'm hoping the new Winds of Plague cd doesn't suck. They're kinda a cheesy, guilty pleasure. I really enjoyed (most of) Decimate the Weak, but The Great Stone War was a big letdown to me.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Just posted a new Open Fire! track

http://openfire.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-curse

CD should be out pretty soon

Mazel Tov fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 5, 2011

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

Optimum Gulps posted:

Amia Venera Landscape

Holy poo poo, thank you. This reminds me of that sweet spot around 2005-2006 when Scarlet and the Bled and all the actually-good metalcore bands were putting out epic albums.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Here is a short clip from HORSE the band's EARTH TOUR 08. It's probably the best band documentary of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF3GQfObyaQ

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

the Bunt posted:

Here is a short clip from HORSE the band's EARTH TOUR 08. It's probably the best band documentary of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF3GQfObyaQ

Aww.. HORSE listens to the Fall of Troy :3:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

It should be noted that the new As Blood Runs Black, Salt the Wound and Benighted full tapes have "leaked".

ABRB is good, real good. It's a worthy successor to the first tape... but yet, it's not as good as it could have been, because 99999 bands have been copying their sound and kind of devaluing the original.

Salt the Wound tape is incredibly awesome, their best by far. Totally great, try it.

Benighted is more on the death metal end of the spectrum but they refer to themselves as "deathcore" so go for it. Super intense, awesomely fast and groovy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New Born of Osiris is also out there now, i just got done listening to it and i like it a lot.

I dont really know what else to say about it; if you like BoS you'll probably like this album (its called The Discovery). They've definitely refined there song-writing a bit and the keyboard elements take a bigger role than i previous albums, its really nice.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New Born of Osiris is also out there now, i just got done listening to it and i like it a lot.

I dont really know what else to say about it; if you like BoS you'll probably like this album (its called The Discovery). They've definitely refined there song-writing a bit and the keyboard elements take a bigger role than i previous albums, its really nice.

The New Reign is one of my fav albums of all time. A Higher Place took some time to grow on me, but is pretty good. The new one seems like is better than AHP but the keyboards seem kinda random and video-gamey to me. Def gonna be in my rotation for a while though.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The Discovery is hell of awesome and I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet. They really outdid themselves with this tape... I'd say it's better than the latest After the Burial tape so far. Definitely way better than A Higher Place, way better production too.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
The Discovery is pretty decent. Part of me is kinda disappointed. I like how much more keyboards/weird interludes there are, but at the same time it kinda sucks because they always do the exact same thing with it, which is "weird synth interlude" and then "some guitar chugs over it". it gets really predictable and kinda boring, because it feels like they just put in keyboard parts to try and distinguish themselves but they don't actually do anything interesting with them.

MulhollandDream
Nov 18, 2007
Just listened to that new Born and I officially hate that band... They are schizophrenic band that jumps around way way to much.

Also, I didn't really get into them until like early 08', but Animosity is p. much my favorite band now. They got that combination of groove and non-stop riffs that seriously gets my dick hard. It is the biggest shame that they are broken up.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MulhollandDream posted:

Just listened to that new Born and I officially hate that band... They are schizophrenic band that jumps around way way to much.

Burn this heretic.

MulhollandDream
Nov 18, 2007

krustster posted:

Burn this heretic.

I mean it's really black and white for me though.... There some sections where I really get into it and others where I'm completely bored

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

He respects the mighty Animosity, though, who are much better than Born of Osiris so he's :cool: with me.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I'm really digging The Discovery. I've been listening to it nonstop pretty much all day.

Off topic by do idiots do this? It has to be pretty much the stupidest internet shorthand on this forum:

MulhollandDream posted:

p. much

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LoG posted:

I'm really digging The Discovery. I've been listening to it nonstop pretty much all day.

Off topic by do idiots do this? It has to be pretty much the stupidest internet shorthand on this forum:

There being sarcastic %95 of the time they use "p. much" relax brohan :c00lbert:

Yeah the keyboard interludes in the new BoS get pretty old quickly but its still a good album. Worth throwing into your rotation.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
I saw Periphery a few days ago and it's really funny how jealous Bulb gets when people don't pay attention to him. Everyone was watching the fill in guitarist from Monuments and Bulb kept walking over and standing directly in front of him.

MulhollandDream
Nov 18, 2007

Mazel Tov posted:

I saw Periphery a few days ago and it's really funny how jealous Bulb gets when people don't pay attention to him. Everyone was watching the fill in guitarist from Monuments and Bulb kept walking over and standing directly in front of him.
I can totally see Bulb doing that.... He seems like his ego is huge.

King Astronaut
Jul 17, 2008
Homefront had a bunch of top notch bands and few crappy ones cover songs for a soundtrack and they're giving away 25,000 free codes for the album. Dunno how many left, but I just snagged one after trying to download it three times. Bands include Dillinger Escape Plan, Misery Signals, As I Lay Dying, Periphery, The Ghost Inside, and a few more. Haven't heard much of it yet, but with names like these I think it's worth a shot.

http://www.songsfortheresistance.com/

Think
Sep 20, 2005

It's actually really cool and definitely worth checking out. A bunch of the covers are great.

Tracklist:
1. As I Lay Dying – “War Ensemble” (Slayer cover)
2. The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Fight The Power” (feat. Chuck D.) (Public Enemy cover)
3. iwrestledabearonce – “Uprising” (Muse cover)
4. The Acacia Strain – “War Pigs” (Black Sabbath cover)
5. Periphery – “One” (Metallica cover)
6. The Ghost Inside – “Fortunate Son” (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover)
7. Winds Of Plague – “For What It’s Worth” (Buffalo Springfield cover)
8. Misery Signals – “Us And Them” (Pink Floyd cover)
9. Arsonists Get All The Girls – “Masters Of War” (Bob Dylan cover)
10. Oceano – “War” (Edwin Starr cover)
11. Veil Of Maya – “Sunday Bloody Sunday” (U2 cover)

Oceano's contribution is exactly as dumb and terrible as you'd expect, by the way.

Think fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 23, 2011

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Whoa, pretty interesting. Downloading now, can't wait to hear how The Acacia Strain's cover came out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really liked TAS's cover. It's the only one I've heard so far.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Thanks for that, sounds interesting, trying it out

edit: hmm, I like TAS's cover except for the vocals. So out of place.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 23, 2011

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
All of those covers are really awkward except for Misery Signals.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Mazel Tov posted:

Yeah, I haven't listened to them all, but this is what I'm getting

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Im just glad i finally got to hear something new from Misery Signals.

And the best part is they sound more or less the same from Controller (which i have spooged over multiple times in this thread) in terms of Vocal range (the production still has Karl with a booming "Bigger than god" voice from controller and its loving awesome) and guitars doing cool atmospheric melodys and poo poo in the background.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mazel Tov posted:

Basically, and the first song I listened to was Sunday Bloody Sunday and boy was that a mistake!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Ok, so there's definite proof that Misery Signals is still alive and breathing despite their line up losses last year. That makes me very, very happy.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Acacia Strain's Wormwood, Veil of Maya's [id], After the Burial's In Dreams, and Born of Osiris' The Discovery are some recent releases I've been loving lately.

Wormwood is a great successor to Continent, and it really demonstrates the excellent writing and screams their singer is capable of, not to mention the fact that the entire album is heavy as poo poo and full of excellent breakdowns. I'm really glad that they stuck to their style. They're going to be in Warped Tour but no word on any upcoming album that I'm aware of.

Veil of Maya is another band that's sticking to their roots and making music that isn't a huge departure, but an excellent addition to their already solid discography. [id] sounds more like their first album than The Common Man's Collapse to me, which is definitely welcome. Dark Passenger and Mowgli are two of my favorite tracks by anyone, and I'm still listening to this album all the time even though it came out almost half a year ago.

After the Burial has been, and still is, my favorite metalcore band. Rareform was what got me into the genre, and that may make my opinion of them a little biased, but In Dreams was godly. I'm crazy about their new singer, and his creativity really shines through in this album. There are some solid breakdowns, but I'm not crazy about To Carry You Away, the clean vocals seemed to clash with the mood of the album. However, the other tracks easily make up for any faults that may be perceived. Great album.

Born of Osiris was another band I listened to when I was first getting into the scene, and they're one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them live a few times, and they consistently amaze me. This new album is to A Higher Place what A Higher Place was to The New Reign, i.e. a more deathcore-like departure with a sort of mysterious synth tone kind of scattered throughout the songs. The aesthetic they've been pursuing with the last few albums is REALLY interesting, and I'm very impressed. This album has a few slower songs like A Solution and The Omniscient that contrast the heavy songs, and they seem to fit really well. The first time I heard them I was a little confused, but it's a really interesting decision and I think it was a good idea in the end. Their latest album just dropped a couple days ago, and I'm going crazy for it (even though I spoiled my appetite a bit on those leaked songs from a month-ish ago). Track 3, Ascension and Track 4, Devastate, are particular favorites of mine because they really demonstrate their growth as a band well. Looking forward to seeing them again whenever they come next, I haven't seen them in about a year and I really want to see them perform some of these new songs.

e: forgot to mention a couple newer bands.
Aim For The Day is an unsigned Christian metalcore band that I've heard, their lyrics have their faith laid on a little heavy but their riffs are really unique and they produce a solid sound. However, if you're not the religious music kind, the lyrics could definitely turn you off.

I, The Breather is new on Sumerian and their debut album is pretty boss, but the first track Forgiven really steals the show with an INCREDIBLE breakdown around the 1 minute mark. They just put out a music video for it on youtube, check it out. They're also Christian metalcore, but it's just about the opposite of Aim For The Day - there really isn't TOO much noticeable influence on their songwriting from their faith, and when there is it's kind of epic like talking about killing demons and poo poo. I feel like they're really going to go places, and I'm glad Sumerian picked them up to help them with that.

Defiler is a bay area band, they're pretty cool. I haven't heard much of them (I've yet to pick up their single album) but what I've heard is really sick and they're recording a new album next month that I look forward to. Their song Cryomancer is definitely their most popular cut, and they have a nice music video for it. It's sort of hard to take them seriously because they rock the whole bro-core look, and they legit begin Cryomancer with the singer yelling "I WANNA SEE YOU CRY, BITCH - OHHHHHH". Actually, never mind. That's sick.

Quellar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Quellar posted:

I, The Breather is new on Sumerian and their debut album is pretty boss, but the first track Forgiven really steals the show with an INCREDIBLE breakdown around the 1 minute mark.
Forgiven is sick but I like the version on the demo/EP so much more. All the lyrics during the melodic guitar run like 1:30 in are sung and harmonized and it sounds amazing. Probably my favorite part of the song. I don't know if they were just trying to sound heavier by screaming that part or whatever but that was basically the only thing that differentiated them from ABR. I can't find it on youtube unfortunately.

Also I have no idea what is going on with that Homefront covers CD. Oceano's cover is so awful that its hilarious. Misery Signals' cover is awesome though.