Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MalConstant posted:

Haha, their Backstreet Boys cover is awesome.
This is amazing.

I've been really into the new August Burns Red and Arsonists Get All The Girls lately. They're both pretty solid and I think both bands stepped up their playing a lot in these albums.

Also I'm patiently waiting for a possible new album from As Blood Runs Black. Wikipedia has it listed as 2009 but I'm not too hopeful as I haven't heard anything about it. If you haven't heard their album Allegiance you should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3OgBXt4_U

I don't think I've ever been as excited for an album as I am for BTBAM's new release though. If they put out something better than Colors I think my head will explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Can anyone recommend me some metalcore that sounds like Johnny Truant? They're a loving amazing band and I'm really glad I got to see them before they split up (like, literally days before they did). I hadn't listened to them in a while and they came up on my iPod's shuffle today in the office and I was probably the only dude in a cubicle to headbang like a motherfucker in the entire building.
You might like Architects. They have a similar vocal style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvxqZgpB-k

Also, if you could give us an example of a slower melodic part that you dig, I'm sure it'll be easier for us to find you something you might like.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

krustster posted:

Iwrestledabearonce kinda sucks and you should be disqualified for putting them in your list in the first place.
Iwrestledabearonce is awesome if you just accept that they're never being serious with anything they write and just see it as fun music and not super loving brutal or anything.

Like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKPgZ51ywU

It ends with an Inspector Gadget theme breakdown. I don't know about you, but I think that's loving awesome.

I saw them live too, and they put on a pretty good show.

As for bands that don't do anything too original but are still awesome, nothing beats As Blood Runs Black to me. They have great, catchy riffs and insane breakdowns. Sure the whole album is in the scale and the songs sound similar, but if you dig it you're going to fall in love with this album.

Seriously, listen to this breakdown. Face crushing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppHDz9P1LM (starts at 3:28)

Also, thanks for bringing up Here Comes the Kraken. Really good stuff.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I don't really see where all this hate is coming from. I thought the first album was pretty tight. Not musically impressive or anything, but it's got some good catchy riffs and breakdowns and stuff.

A5H posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.
Trend hopping faggots.
Sykes is a oval office. His clothing brand is poo poo.
The fans are pathetic 15 year old girls that think they are edgy.
He can't hold his drink either:

heh
I can understand if you don't like the music, but if you really get all in a rage about stuff like this then maybe you should re-evaluate why you listen to music period. I don't know what 90% of the people in the bands I listen to look like, what they like to do in their personal time, or what the fans look like. And I don't give a poo poo.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

See, that's part of it, but it's really not the whole story.

The problem isn't one of popularity, but one of overexposure. Because the genre is so popular, like every genre, what invariably happens is that the most generic, most watered-down elements (Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, etc.) get the airplay, get the fanbase, and they're the ones that we have to put up with hearing this crap from. We have to deal with a constant deluge of Generic Breakdown Band on the radio, from other people's cars, and from the endless gushing of a bunch of fans who, in a loving paraphrase of DannyManic, love going to shows but hate music.
Yeah I definitely agree with you that there are some terrible generic metalcore bands out there but you can't hate a band because of it's fans. There are shithead poser fans in every genre of music. Just do your best to avoid them. Also I have no idea where you live that you hear metalcore on the radio, because I've never heard anything heavier than Disturbed and KSE on the radio where I live, which is one of the reasons why I don't even bother with the radio anymore.

quote:

Invariably, they'll end up tacked onto shows of metal bands they don't fit with.
Yeah, this definitely gets annoying, I agree. I can't understand why In Flames is the headliner for BTBAM and The Faceless's tour. Not that In Flames is bad or anything, but from what I've heard they're not anything like either of those bands. Then again I haven't listened to any In Flames past Clayman, so maybe they're metalcore now.

quote:

The other problem is that, like nu-metal preceding it, way too much of the fanbase is made up of either scrawny white high school students who are raging against mall security guards, or testosterone-infused wife-beating ex-Marine losers with something to prove (or their drunken college frat equivalents). It's drat near impossible to enjoy the music without being associated with those people. Any genre of music where bands write songs about their bro-beefs with other bands is going to lend itself to that kind of bullshit.
So what? If people are judging your personality and stereotyping you solely on what kind of music you listen to, then gently caress them. Not the kind of people I would want to associate with anyway.

Okay, back to metal! I know they're more prog metal than metalcore, but Protest The Hero's live DVD Gallop Meets the Earth comes out in a few weeks. I'm pretty pumped after seeing them over the summer with The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

krustster posted:

mostly because of the fans, I honestly hate unruly crowds...especially ones that crowd-surf directly onto my neck.
I don't know dude, that looked like a pretty normal metal show crowd to me. If it really bothers you that much just stand off to the side and away from the pits. I usually do this because I like to watch the band while they play and see the guitarist play all the riffs and stuff because I'm a guitarist and that's fun for me. That did look a little packed though so it would probably be uncomfortable but not to the point where you couldn't enjoy the music.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

plester1 posted:

I consider The Price of Existence the crown jewel of "deathcore". I don't listen to much else in the genre because it all pales in comparison.
For all those who haven't seen All Shall Perish live, go do it right loving now. They are incredible live and have an energy that you rarely see in live music. It's really intense and an awesome experience.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MalConstant posted:

New BTBAM song here.

http://victorymetal.com/

You have to enter your email address in order to hear it though.

Song is amazing.
.....Holy loving poo poo.

God dammit this cannot come soon enough.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Another new BTBAM! The opening track "Mirrors":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIosvl-pkJg

The first part could be a Radiohead song. I love it
Wow, I'm really digging all the different sounds they're trying out for this album. I have a feeling this one will really stand out from their previous work in a great way.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

krustster posted:

agreed, album fucken owns. Featuring "MVP" and also...well, just about every song on there owns.
This is so loving brutal its absurd. The drums on this album are unreal.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
BTBAM and The Faceless this Friday. :woop:

Can't wait to hear some new BTBAM material.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
So I just discovered a few new bands that I think some people here might like. As far as I can tell, they're all relatively new as well, and are taking metal in a pretty exciting direction.

Lye By Mistake - This band is what you would get if you crossed The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. They are absolutely insane musicians, and while I guess you could label it as Progressive Metal, they really actually are literally very progressive, often having multiple genre changes in one song.

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Just listen and see. I'm really having trouble describing them. Extreme metal heavily influenced by ambient, and even that doesn't do it justice.

The Arusha Accord - Like a more post-hardcore sounding SikTh. Extremely chaotic but with a clarity that other bands in the genre don't really have. The songs on their myspace are from their new album which hasn't released yet, but their EP Nightmares of the Ocean is phenomenal.

I love finding crazy new bands like this because metalcore and extreme metal today are so saturated by boring cookie-cutter bands that just play riffs and breakdowns. Good to see there are bands out there really trying to push the envelope.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

A cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me is a terrible description of Lye By Mistake. Entirely different sounds, entirely different techniques, and entirely different bands. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Hey that's just the feel I got from the album. I really haven't heard anything else like it which is why I had a lot of trouble describing it.

Anyway, here's BTBAM's setlist from Friday night for those interested in what they've been playing this tour:

All Bodies
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Obfuscation
The Backtrack
Decade of Statues
White Walls

Unfortunately I got there late and missed The Faceless but BTBAM was awesome.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Eh. They don't have really any prescence or energy, I will agree. But I think BTBAM shows are still loving sick. At the very least it's impressive to hear them play the stuff in person, nearly perfectly. I'm a huge huge fan of the music though so I can imagine being bored if I wasn't that into them..
Yeah I wouldn't go see them if you're not really familiar with their music. It's awesome if you are but they don't move around all that much. Tommy Rogers (vocals) gets really into it though when he's not over by his keyboard.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Pantalones! posted:

http://www.myspace.com/achilles

I'm very much enjoying this band right now, maybe you will too?????
I'm diggin this a lot as well.

You might like this band I've been into lately that this reminds me of called Oh Sleeper.

http://www.myspace.com/ohsleeper

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
Just listened to it straight through. It's definitely Colors 2 but a lot more pop influenced than anything else they've done. It also sounds extremely Dream Theater-ish throughout the whole thing but they actually do it better than Dream Theater has in their last few albums so I'm okay with it.

I need to listen to it a few more times before I can really say whether I like it as much as Colors or Alaska, but I'm really digging it right now. Disease, Injury, Madness is sick. Desert of Song is great too because it's much different than anything they've done before. Swim to the Moon is the White Walls of the album, no surprise there.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think that if you like the newer stuff it's impossible for you to like the style they had when they first came out, and if you didn't like their first albums then you might want to give this new-age hippy progressive poo poo a shot because maybe you'll dig it.
I don't know dude. I love all of their albums and I didn't even get into them until after Colors.

So after going through the CD a few times today, I'd definitely say it's at least as good as Colors but in it's own way.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

quote:

Maybe this is obvious, but it seems to me that BTBAM isn't really "metalcore" anymore. I mean, they toured with 3, Opeth, and Dream Theater, they supposedly have no live energy (something I really hope for in any band referred to as metalcore), their songs are pretty much averaging 8:00+ . . . comparing them to Red Chord is real apples to oranges stuff, to my mind.
This is completely true. Especially with the newest album, they're pretty far from anything-core at this point.

quote:

I liked Dream Theater more before they started calling themselves Between the Buried and Me. BTBAM's new album just sounds like someone said "hey guys! you know whats cool? Take the time! lets do that!"
Yeah, but this is so much better than anything Dream Theater has done in a long time so I'm okay with it.

I think it's interesting how polarizing this band has become. I don't think I know many people who just enjoy BTBAM. They either love them or hate them.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bands who play shows to kids with side swept bangs and eyeliner have zero credibility to me and I would imagine any other self respecting hardcore fan.
Serious question: Do you even enjoy music? Because all you keep going on about is the "scene" or whatever and how bands should never change and always play the music you want to hear rather than what they want to write.

At least in BTBAM's case, they've always been more of a progressive metal band than metalcore anyway. Even going back to the self-titled album they were constantly hinting at a progressive sound with songs like Aspirations and Shevanel Cut a Flip, so I don't see why you're so shocked that a progressive metal band actually...progressed their sound.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Another band who I'm friends with that some of BTBAM fans might like are We Are The Romans https://www.myspace.com/wearetheromans their recording isn't super tight but those guy really strive to play heavy music in a progressive and unique way. They bust their asses and even though the recording doesn't do him justice, the singer is a loving beast.
This band loving slays. Definitely getting early BTBAM vibes from them but it's pretty obvious they have a lot of different and varied influences as well. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to keep my eye on this band.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Anyways, on the topic of what I would hope dudes in this thread would call good music, has The Faceless been discussed recently? I've only ever listened to their Akeldama CD, but it is pretty loving rad. Leica, especially, is amazing.
The Faceless is pretty awesome. If you haven't heard it yet, their newer album - Planetary Duality is great as well. On the discussion of great breakdowns, I think the breakdown in An Autopsy by The Faceless is my favorite breakdown ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zmUHZEwYM

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
When I saw ABR on their headlining tour with iwretstledabearonce and All Shall Perish they were pretty great. I thought they had a lot of energy. But then again I saw them in Lancaster, PA which is where they're all from so they were really into it.

quote:

Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.
I agree. As much as I love ABR I can only take so much at a time because of the constant breakdowns. Luckily they seemed to chill out with that a lot on the newest album.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

The music's good, though, right guys? :smith:
Yeah, After the Burial is pretty solid. It's too bad they got a new singer though, I like the old one much better.

quote:

As for Misery Signals, I really don't dig them all that much. I can see how they can be the progression of 7a7p,
If nobody brought this up, I would have never have figured this out. Misery Signals is pretty bad. I saw them open for Protest the Hero earlier this year and while they have good energy and everything I just couldn't get into the music.

7a7p is sick though.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I've been having the opposite experience. The more I listen to TGM the more I like it.

quote:

and what about riffs repeated across albums? I find the bit with the horse neigh and then the countryfried riff at 4.00 in 'Disease...' so similar to about 4.30 in 'Ants...' off Colors.
It feels kind of similar rhythmically but I don't really hear it.

Just out of curiosity though, how many of you play instruments? I play guitar and most of my musical friends all dig BTBAM but those who don't play anything generally can't get into it.

quote:

I'm a big grind fan fan but some of the grindier bits just suck and feel thrown in. I just think they've gotten too big for their boots, think they're like the pink floyd of metal.
Yeah I agree with this criticism. There's a serious lack of grind riffs on TGM when compared to any of their earlier work.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

quote:

why do i like 'throne of lunacy' off deflorate so much, and not any of the other tracks. what is wrong with me?
This is also my favorite track off of Deflorate. Unfortunately everything TBDM does ends up being forgettable though because all the songs sound the same.

e: On a grind related note - holy poo poo Cephalic Carnage is loving awesome. So far I've only heard Xenosapien but I'm really enjoying it so far. What do I listen to next?

The Dirtyness fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2009

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Wickacha posted:

I'm listening to the album right now, it's so good! The guitar solo at the end of Nothing Imminent is cool, especially the way the synth comes up behind it.
That solo is the highlight of the album for me. It just comes out of nowhere and destroys.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Wickacha posted:

I posted these guys in the amazing bands no one knows about thread as well, but check out Chon if you dug that solo. They're a bunch of kids from Cali who play some beautiful stuff on guitar. They're not really a -core band or anything, but you'll definitely enjoy it :).

https://www.myspace.com/musicofchon
I've heard of CHON before, they're pretty awesome. Remind me of The Fall of Troy and Scale the Summit.

Those guys have some serious chops.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Hahah, that sounds pretty cool. So it wasn't awkward having a missing vocalist for IWABO?
I can't understand anything she's saying like 99% of the time anyway so I don't think it would really make much difference to have people just go up there and scream. Sounds like it was a cool show. They were really entertaining when I saw them open for August Burns Red and that was my first time hearing any of their music too.

So I've been listening to Day of Mourning by Despised Icon a lot lately. It's pretty solid for the most part. Has anyone been listening to any quality deathcore lately?

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Blake Richardson tracking the drums to "Obfuscation". Not my favorite BTBAM song (or even new one) but this is great fun to watch. I really dig Blake's style a lot. He's more about grooves than blast-beats and double bass (though he does those awesomely too) which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY&channel=btbamofficial

edit: there's no way that dude is vegan. does anyone know who is and isn't vegan/straight edge in that band?
I'm not 100% sure but I think everyone except for him is either vegan or vegetarian.

I really like the video he has on Prequel to the Sequel. That song has some sick grooves.

Here's Obfuscation on guitar as well for all the other guitar nerds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud0-uDlszAI

This kid figured it out entirely by ear. Pretty insane.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I guess you're in the right place even though all the bands you mention suck balls.
You like Winds of Plague.

Let's not go down this road.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
So anyway I just got into this band No Consequence that kind of sounds like a mix between The Faceless and Architects that I thought I'd share. Really melodic tech-death sound with siiiiiiick guitar playing.

Also, Molotov Solution's new CD is pretty solid. If you dig Despised Icon or monstrously huge slam breakdowns you'll like it.

The Dirtyness fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 22, 2009

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MalConstant posted:

Finally, As Blood Runs Black posted a track with their new vocalist.

It's pretty sick.

http://thirddegreemerch.com/asbloodrunsblack
Shiiiiiiit I can't wait for this album. New vocals are sick.

I hope they try and change up their sound a bit though. This song could be taken right off Allegiance and as much as I like Allegiance we don't need another.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
Iwrestledabearonce puts on a great live show. They're good every now and then if you don't take the music seriously but only a few tracks really stand out to me on the album.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
New Chelsea Grin leaked. It's Suicide Silence on steroids, which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you feel about slam.

I think it's loving awesome.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Also, I like Within the Ruins as well. Tractor Pull owns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhOiFhO744
Within the Ruins is awesome. Their album is really great if you're into tech that's actually interesting.

If you're into that you should check out No Consequence or The Arusha Accord. They're both fairly new and have debut albums out that are awesome if you like progressive tech stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVCpfTtHzzo
http://www.myspace.com/noconsequence

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

shoncook posted:

Thought I might mention some local guys, Allegaeon. They just got picked up by Metal Blade, and are some seriously talented fellas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTInUyM0v1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1frtpv-mUg

Unfortunately haven't had the chance to share the stage with them, but they're cool as hell.
Wow, that's great news. I've had their EP for awhile now...it kicks some serious rear end. Glad to see they're finally getting some recognition.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
Within the Ruins just put up a video of pre-production on their new album. A lot of it is just them dicking around but the few clips of new songs on there are awesome. Nobody grooves like WTR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDaa8b5dtQ#movie_player

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

I came here to post this. In what way are they lame :(
Yeah for real. I've been raving about their debut album since it came out. I think it gets better with every listen. Probably one of my favorite metal albums ever. If you're not into Dillinger-esque nonsense music then you probably won't like it though, which is understandable as its a lot to take in.

Everyone should check out Terakai too.

http://www.myspace.com/terakai

They're like a more melodic Architects, but nothing I say can really do them justice. Can't wait for their album to come out.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Not exactly the most -core band, but I don't want an individual thread for this. Periphery's full length is FINALLY floating around, and god it is one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Holy poo poo must hear this right away.

New VoM is awesome by the way. Some unbelievable riffs on that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I loving love you metalcore thread for telling me when albums leak. Holy poo poo this is so heavy.