Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What is HORSE the Band considered? Must be some kind of core (and don't say Nintendocore!). I'm pretty excited for their next album in August (I think), even though A Natural Death was a slight disappointment.

Also thirding the BTBAM excitement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Am I the only one that thinks Deliver Us is far and away Darkest Hour's best album? Undoing Ruin is a close second though. I really don't like the new album much at all though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

What the hell is crabcore? What does that infer?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Why not something like electro-core? I mean come on, crabcore? Nintendocore? I like some of the bands within this genre (and am a complete and utter HORSE the Band fanboy) but I never ever say I listen to Nintendocore....and would never ever say I listen to crabcore.

Come to think of it, I never say I listen to anything-core. I call it all metal, unless there are clean emo vocals and a bunch of breakdowns. Then I call it gay.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

yay! HORSE the Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCU8vPTv6I4

Can't wait to hear the studio version.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

new HTB song http://www.shockhound.com/features/733-exclusive--hear-horse-the-band-s--arrive--here-first

No breakdowns here though :>

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Its a pretty good song, but i don't understand how it is "desperate" and such how the article describes.

really cool song actually.

It's pretty upbeat for being on an album called Desperate Living, but the keyboard melodies, to me, are less gimmicky and bleep-bloopy and more touching and pretty. And even though I can understand most of the words I don't know what the gently caress he's singing about as usual.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

MalConstant posted:

I agree. Enough genre/band bashing.

Wretched - A Preservation Of Immortality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_lJWU0LzP0

I love this loving band. The beginning is heavy as poo poo.

HERE, AT THE BREAK OF DAWN!!!!!!!

Hey cool, I didn't like the vocal intro but this song is bitchin as hell!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I haven't seen these guys mentioned yet, so what's everyone's opinion on See You Next Tuesday? I only have their Parasite CD, but it's pretty drat awesome imo

I like these guys. I can only listen to that type of music once in a while though, but they are one of my favorites.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Spiral posted:

I'd like to watch him, Trent Reznor and Billy Corgan all fight.

HAH. Really? Billy Corgan?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Gzah, BTBAM are on their own level, in my eyes (or should I say ears?). I am only halfway through the new song. Of course it is not disappointing yet.

HORSE let out another new one today. The heaviest one so far (and best, if you ask me, by far). Featuring Valentina Lisitsa playing a segment from Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2.

RAPE ESCAPE: http://www.lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13334

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Another new BTBAM! The opening track "Mirrors":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIosvl-pkJg

The first part could be a Radiohead song. I love it

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Why are there two vocalists? They sound nearly identical!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

FAILURE OF ALL THINGS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YTFH1a9vS0

Most everyone I know hates this band but gently caress it! gently caress you!!!!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Nah. That song is a little serious but the album on a whole is very whimsical and kitschy. It's just that they are extending their palette of sounds, and are a little more professional. Plus, they toured 40 countries in six months and made zero bucks so that might account for the more serious sound

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yup I just stand in the back and cross my arms and look hard!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

but to be serious I love moshing in some cases. the type of moshing/dancing that is going on changes it up though. I fckin hate hardcore dancing though. Circle pits yay!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

It's not something I like to do a whole show or even a whole song though

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

A song that isn't Obfuscation or Mirrors?

Mannn...I don't know if I want to hear the album in bits and pieces like this

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Eh. They don't have really any prescence or energy, I will agree. But I think BTBAM shows are still loving sick. At the very least it's impressive to hear them play the stuff in person, nearly perfectly. I'm a huge huge fan of the music though so I can imagine being bored if I wasn't that into them..

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

it went up a few days ago but DEP's studio update is on youtube. mostly guitars and some vocal tracking but I'm getting excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8nkRJYCbE

This sounds awesome. I don't even listen to DEP I probably should.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Volcomxxstone posted:

Anyone excited for As Blood Runs Black's new poo poo? I hope they find a vocalist soon...

also...

BTBAM's new album may be close to metalgasm. I hope they top Colors, but that's gonna be a tough album to improve on. And of course they're not gonna be moving around in concert, that stuff is ungodly hard to play. The guitarist is practically soloing throughout the whole cd.

Also, the rhythm guitar Dusty has back problems.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

How is Swim to the Moon? I think I'm still gonna wait till next week.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know who you guys are trying to fool with this talk of a "new BTBAM cd"

Everyone knows they stopped making music after The Silent Circus.

While I don't agree to that extent at all, I really really wish they would return to this type of sound once in a while. It's by far the heaviest BTBAM album. I was only disappointed with Alaska, honestly.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Well I gave in and downloaded it anyway and just finished. I really don't know what to think, or how I feel about it. There are a disappointing lack of riffs that made me go "oh...my...god" like during most of Colors...but I think that's just because I listened to everything once (except Obfuscation). And parts of Swim to the Moon reminded me a little too much of White Walls. That being said, I really like the mood this album evokes already. It is a lot more somber than Colors, I think. The guitar melodies are a lot less...well, melodic, but I think it all warrants a couple listens.

EDIT: Second listen I'm already loving it. Disease, Injury, Madness and Fossil Genera are both badass.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 22, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I don't get how such a nice sweet group of unpretentious, talented guys (BTBAM) can get so much seething hate for writing the music they want to. Oh well, these are the same people critiquing a band on their MERCHANDISE. I also think the Self Titled CD is wayy more go-nowhere than any other album since. That album was almost entirely wanking, only just mostly metalcore instead of the vast array of style they play now.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

This is the guy I was referring to:

quote:

To add to my BTBAM hate, on their myspace page there is a giant photo of just their instruments in a studio where the camera is going right and left. It's just like "HEY LOOK AT OUR ELITE poo poo!" and there's also a box of Silk soy milk on the floor, get the gently caress over yourselves.

Also their merch is boring as poo poo, just like their music.

Alternatively, check this awe-inspiring shirt by The Red Chord and tell me it doesn't make you want to listen to them even if you've never heard of them: Rainbow Grinder

Though I do agree that Tommy doesn't change up his vocals as much as he can, anymore. What's up with that?

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 22, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you can praise them for being sweet-hearts then I can diss them for having crappy merch and showing pictures of instruments and soy milk on their myspace. I've talked with Tommy Rogers in Massachusetts before during a fest at a Subway down the block. He was nice to me and I didn't get the impression he was a dickhead. Doesn't change the fact that (as you agreed) he's become a totally boring vocalist to listen to when I am sure he can still sing with better range if he tried/wanted to. And also that their music is something completely different from when they started out, which I prefer immensely over this stuff. I almost feel like I can't even say "I like BTBAM" anymore. I can only say "I like their self titled" because that's not even them anymore.

Fair enough. You don't like Silent Circus either?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Omnikin posted:

BTBAM tomorrow :neckbeard: first time I've actually waited for an album to come out in the last couple of years, the excitement makes it worth it.

I picked up my copy today?

After a lot of listens I still don't know about the album as a whole...but Swim to the Moon is better than White Walls

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Don't start this again. This thread is not bad when it's not full of people bitching about other people's taste. If you don't like the band being discussed, why not move on by and bring something else up?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Truly, there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy and only a few bands I really respect out there for making consistently good music. I understand BTBAM's progression, but I dislike the shape that their music has taken recently.

As for there being a "real" hardcore thread. I understand the distinction between real hardcore and what is mostly considered metalcore. The most old school band I listen to is All Out War and even they are a metal hardcore fusion band. I like bands like Converge and Trap Them, but TT apparently consider themselves "death punk" or whatever. I admit I don't even really like "real hardcore" that consists of bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, etc. To me that stuff is more punk with angrier vocals than anything else.

I can imagine most people in this thread have no idea what bands I just namedropped

:rolleyes::fh:

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

gah I said not to start this again and he started it again.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

These guys are completely bonkers. I love it

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I might agree that the songs can be meandering but I don't think they're pointless. It's not as if it's random riff after random riff. They all tie themselves together really well, imo.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone like Rolo Tomassi? Their album Hysterics is one of my favorite albums ever. Also, I dunno what you'd really call the type of music and a lot of you guys probably won't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yUCOelxS8

to me it's like horse, IWABO and melt banana had a baby

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Pantalones! posted:

Except that they're a lot better than daughters. And any band that lists such incredible influences can't be bad.

Both these sentences are untrue.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah I thought that was a particularly absurd statement.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So, all of the bands in music that were influenced by The Beatles are great bands?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Pantalones! posted:

Yes exactly this is what I said.

But yes, someone who is honest about their beatles influence and serious about making music he loves will probably make better music than the guy whose main influence is mychildren mybride and who's only making music so that people will say DUDE THAT WAS A SICK BREAKDOWN.

So the actual influences listed doesn't matter? OK, so not what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I like HtB's take on the bios thing

"Hello. We are the coolest band in the world. Everything you have ever heard about us is true. We are loving crazy and we are very brave. We booked a 45-country, 3-month world tour by ourselves and we didn't die, although we almost did a bunch of times. We have played in loving China, and Serbia, and we are the first American band to play in Belarus in 5 years (the band before us was Cannibal Corpse) and we had to sneak into the country on a World War II cargo plane. In fact, all the shows were loving awesome except Turkey, Italy, the UK, and Scandinavia. We party harder than any other band in the world and still play our parts perfectly every single night. Oh yeah did I mention Nathan broke his shoulder with 10 days left on the tour and played 8 shows with a broken shoulder and no treatment except alcohol? I think when other bands' singers break their shoulders they just cancel the tour and fly home. Oh wait I think that is also what they do if they have a vocal polyp or gas costs $4 a gallon. Oh poo poo! $4! Actually I am sure of it because other bands are pussies. At least those singers have neck tattoos though and ask the question "How the gently caress are you guys doing tonight?" twice in a row after their second song is over. We spent $60,000 to do EARTH TOUR by maxing out 5 credit cards and bought 27 flights each for 7 people. We don't have parents and we are from the future."

etc. etc. hahaha