Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Acacia Strain's Wormwood, Veil of Maya's [id], After the Burial's In Dreams, and Born of Osiris' The Discovery are some recent releases I've been loving lately.

Wormwood is a great successor to Continent, and it really demonstrates the excellent writing and screams their singer is capable of, not to mention the fact that the entire album is heavy as poo poo and full of excellent breakdowns. I'm really glad that they stuck to their style. They're going to be in Warped Tour but no word on any upcoming album that I'm aware of.

Veil of Maya is another band that's sticking to their roots and making music that isn't a huge departure, but an excellent addition to their already solid discography. [id] sounds more like their first album than The Common Man's Collapse to me, which is definitely welcome. Dark Passenger and Mowgli are two of my favorite tracks by anyone, and I'm still listening to this album all the time even though it came out almost half a year ago.

After the Burial has been, and still is, my favorite metalcore band. Rareform was what got me into the genre, and that may make my opinion of them a little biased, but In Dreams was godly. I'm crazy about their new singer, and his creativity really shines through in this album. There are some solid breakdowns, but I'm not crazy about To Carry You Away, the clean vocals seemed to clash with the mood of the album. However, the other tracks easily make up for any faults that may be perceived. Great album.

Born of Osiris was another band I listened to when I was first getting into the scene, and they're one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them live a few times, and they consistently amaze me. This new album is to A Higher Place what A Higher Place was to The New Reign, i.e. a more deathcore-like departure with a sort of mysterious synth tone kind of scattered throughout the songs. The aesthetic they've been pursuing with the last few albums is REALLY interesting, and I'm very impressed. This album has a few slower songs like A Solution and The Omniscient that contrast the heavy songs, and they seem to fit really well. The first time I heard them I was a little confused, but it's a really interesting decision and I think it was a good idea in the end. Their latest album just dropped a couple days ago, and I'm going crazy for it (even though I spoiled my appetite a bit on those leaked songs from a month-ish ago). Track 3, Ascension and Track 4, Devastate, are particular favorites of mine because they really demonstrate their growth as a band well. Looking forward to seeing them again whenever they come next, I haven't seen them in about a year and I really want to see them perform some of these new songs.

e: forgot to mention a couple newer bands.
Aim For The Day is an unsigned Christian metalcore band that I've heard, their lyrics have their faith laid on a little heavy but their riffs are really unique and they produce a solid sound. However, if you're not the religious music kind, the lyrics could definitely turn you off.

I, The Breather is new on Sumerian and their debut album is pretty boss, but the first track Forgiven really steals the show with an INCREDIBLE breakdown around the 1 minute mark. They just put out a music video for it on youtube, check it out. They're also Christian metalcore, but it's just about the opposite of Aim For The Day - there really isn't TOO much noticeable influence on their songwriting from their faith, and when there is it's kind of epic like talking about killing demons and poo poo. I feel like they're really going to go places, and I'm glad Sumerian picked them up to help them with that.

Defiler is a bay area band, they're pretty cool. I haven't heard much of them (I've yet to pick up their single album) but what I've heard is really sick and they're recording a new album next month that I look forward to. Their song Cryomancer is definitely their most popular cut, and they have a nice music video for it. It's sort of hard to take them seriously because they rock the whole bro-core look, and they legit begin Cryomancer with the singer yelling "I WANNA SEE YOU CRY, BITCH - OHHHHHH". Actually, never mind. That's sick.

Quellar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me

Mazel Tov posted:

Yeah the lyrics are dumb, find any good deathcore lyrics. You wont.

I beg to differ. Have you heard Emmure's new album?

Emmure posted:

We are unstoppable / We are unbreakable / How much more proof do you want? YOU CAN'T gently caress WITH US!

I don't get what endless fount of wisdom they consult for lyrics like this :iiam:

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
I haven't been to a show in a couple months, so I really can't wait for the All Stars Tour. After the Burial, Born of Osiris, Emmure, Attila, Chelsea Grin, more bands than I'm going to bother mentioning. I'm so stoked for it, I'm driving down from Seattle to see it in San Fran because they're not coming anywhere closer. 13 hours of driving, 800 miles of freeway, but it's going to be so worth it to see ATB and BOO together, live again. If anyone from western Washington, Oregon, or northern Cali wants to carpool with me and a couple friends and gently caress around before the show, let me know!

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
I've been relatively fortunate because I live so close to Seattle, and there are so many venues there I barely ever have to drive further than 30 minutes. Related to ^, I met a couple bands at Summer Slaughter a couple years ago, it was really cool. Got a picture sesh with ATB, chatted with the keyboardist from BOO. That's just about my favorite concert memory.