Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I will admit I'm usually not too much of a fan of the more girly/emo vocals (hate Alesana and such but In Fear and Faith-style stuff I can handle) but I recently saw I See Stars live with Emarosa and I thought they were going to suck but they sound really cool live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

kajeto posted:

I'm not big on metalcore, but I like Despised Icon. The new track on their myspace kicks all amounts of rear end.

http://www.myspace.com/despisedicon

Song is sick as gently caress and i dont usually like despised icon

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I liked JFAC when they were Deathcore :(

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Wow, I don't know if y'all are Saosin faggots (like me) but this new song rapes hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNsr5xNSQk&feature=related

Well, I would like to take this opportunity to also declare "Whatever-core" to include post-hardcore. :)

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 21, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

I just saw I See Stars and In Fear and Faith for the second time with Our Last Night at a local venue here in South Jersey.

I'm assuming this was the Artery tour or whatever stopping by in your town? Anyway, I saw those bands with Emarosa headlining here in Houston at Java Jazz recently and the show was absolutely sick. I had heard I See Stars (the "Big Bad Wolf" band, although I find the Common Hours to be a much cooler song with a better breakdown) was a gay little Alesana-ripoff band which I don't really tend to enjoy, but was pleasantly surprised with a cool electro-hardcore vibe and some intense, well composed breakdowns. They actually had the most active pit out of all the bands, maybe In Fear and Faith was slightly more hectic.

Anyway, I don't usually like that poppy of a band but I found their music original/sincere enough to enjoy. Really all the bands were great that night but Emarosa really blew me away. Jonny was even having microphone problems but his voice still carried through amazingly. All the band members had great stage presence and the light show (again, this was great for all the bands but Emarosa especially) was crazy and went well with all the songs, The Past Should Stay Dead in particular.

Anyway else see these bands?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

It's probably the same tour. Emarosa was supposed to play, but they got lost or something and never made it. I've never heard of them though, so it didn't bother me. The venue gave out vouchers to get in free the next time they come and play, which I swear they said was with ADTR and Parkway Drive, so seeing that for free is going to make it so much better.

Wow, well you and really everyone else in the world should check Emarosa out. They basically used to be a TDWP-style metalcore band but the old gay singer left to form Agraceful (lovely generic band) and Jonny Craig from Dance Gavin Dance came and joined up with them to form a beautiful and epic post-hardcore band to release their first real album, Relativity.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Converge always strikes me as one of those bands that everybody cites as a major influence on -core, but nobody actually likes.

This reputation is somewhat warranted. I can listen to Converge and find their music interesting but don't particularly like it.

Emmure has a new song up from their upcoming album, pretty catchy I like it

http://www.myspace.com/emmure

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hah, back whenever my friends and I would go to shows at our local venue, some were known to mockingly "crab-mosh" but anyone doing it with any level of seriousness or if we just didn't know them would get the poo poo knocked out of them during the inc. breakdown

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

1997 posted:

Relativity is an awful album that sounds like one long song. The best part of it is the first three seconds of The Past Should Stay Dead.

I remember thinking that same thing the first time I heard them. However now I severely disagree and urge you to give it a couple more listens, it does have a kind of similar "soundscape" I guess you could say throughout the album but hardly not like one long song. Heads or Tails? Real Or Not is interesting in particular because it uses the normally angry/angsty breakdown to create a happy feeling, I find that they do this on other parts of the album as well, its really very pleasing

edit: I mean there are parts of it I don't like such as certain elements of the production in some parts of a couple songs but overall I would say its an excellent album

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 24, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah, but some people refuse to accept that some of that music is actually enjoyed, not just chosen for scene points

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Mmmmm I absolutely love me some Parkway. Anyone seen them live? I have. Three times. 'Tis wonderful indeed

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Why do you guys have to hate? I mean I can't say I'm a fan of Attack or anything but they aren't the worst band ever and your just making GBS threads all over the thread

edit: And they put on a pretty good show

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Suicide Silences recordings are sometimes boring, but they put on a fun (violent) show

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
The high vocals are grating in a crazy, maniac, insane, demonic, beautiful way :)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

The Bryan posted:

Their first 2 albums were really good, but the third album is a littly too poppy but its still ok it got them alot of new fans too.

I like the third album, its pretty formulaic but just well crafted/fun to listen to. But yeah, first two albums were better for sure.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
You've never heard of them before? drat they blew up so big now. Really all of their albums are great and worth a listen, though.

And TDTE? They are crazy, i almost saw them once when they came to Houston but they cancelled at the last minute.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MalConstant posted:

Yeah both of their albums are very solid. Their vocalist kicks all sorts of rear end. Also, smoke 'em If you got 'em is an awesome song.

Aren't they due for a new album soon?

God, I hope so. I was jamming Dead Man's Chest today in the car.

ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSEoh gently caress yeah!!

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Wow, I just looked up the Brokencyde or whatever.
For those who aren't aware, this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

also they have a song with e-40 wtf

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hah, they always are. Most people's complaint against Emmure is that they're music is too derivative/breakdowney or whatever but god drat if they don't do it well.

edit: how is 'Bars in Astoria' live?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Saw FYS/SYG a couple days ago at the Meridian, they were pretty excellent.

I was wondering, has anybody heard Jonny Craig's (of Emarosa/DGD) solo stuff? http://www.myspace.com/jonnycraig

I recently heard the whole album and it is particularly earpleasuring when you listen to it as an album rather than individual songs. I was going to make a thread for the new album, but there probably wouldn't be enough fans here.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

modernlifeisadam posted:

After the loving Burial. best band in metal/deathcore right now, hands down. Also The Crimson Armada, not bringing too much new to the table, but pretty much perfected this poo poo.

Ehh, I've seen after the burial a couple times and they just never have put on a standout show for me

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I don't know man, I think it was just because at this particular show they happened to blend in.

Facewalking is great :)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Just found out about these guys yesterday, but I'm kinda liking Thy Art is Murder. They're a pretty generic deathcore band, but I enjoy their sound.

Here's what I guess is their most popular song atm - Whore to a Chainsaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLCAcZHUV4

Hahahah holy poo poo that song is sick
lyrics are funny as gently caress

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 18, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
hahahahha yeah that song is great.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I really like the new Converge, can't say the same for ETID. I really have never been able to get into them, though

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
these guys are hardly metalcore but they come out of Boston and have some hardcore influence in their sound so i thought i would share them:

http://www.myspace.com/badrabbitsband

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Don't even ask. You will just be endlessly reminded of how they sound "the same" or "aren't music" or whatever even though there are plenty of bands that sound similar in every genre and this just happens to be a very popular genre and therefore many bands are doing different variations on a similar sound. This isn't necessarily bad, but many elitist-type folk are going to say such ridiculous things. These people also happen to be pretty concentrated on the internet.

I did like the song even if it was slightly overly-derivative

edit: Take hip-hop, for example. I love hip-hop and listen to every different range from underground to R&B radio tracks (mostly because im forced to but some are enjoyable). There are a loving trillion songs that sound alike, even from big-name artists and highly respected underground rappers. However metalcore/deathcore/whatever-core gets a bad name because

A) a large number of "original hardcore fans" choose to pretend that they're music is inherently better and more authentic because it was the predecessor to this kind of music
B) a large number of people who inherently don't like screaming/abrasive music or refuse to try and listen to it

so basically you have groups who don't listen to any kind of heavy music at all and don't like it and then still others who believe that all of this music is just trash, which is obviously not true and a matter of opinion

edit: the "original hardcore fans" thing was not aimed at the people in the hardcore thread, though there may be people who fit such a description in there

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 26, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah its a pretty good song actually

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
In other news, Parkway Drive is the best band ever, more at 11

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
To me a band that does heavy exceptionally well is Animosity. Check this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYSJNU652I

Also this is a local band but I they are pretty original and cool, have some well-crafted breakdowns, check out the songs "Mea Culpa" and "In In In" for some good times

http://www.myspace.com/adventscars

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
seconding that they suck

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

you may be "deeply pathetic" but I think I like you, young fellow

i know, i dont understand who would spend 10 bux to buy me that. i guess i made a pathetic post on this internet (???)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Emmure's new album Felony is out. I like it well enough, but thats just because I love Emmure. Everyone is either saying they're ripping off Korn, Acacia Strain, or Glassjaw though. I don't quiter understand those sentiments

edit: I can't even really say I like it. Its like they got lazy and jus totally overdid the breakdown thing

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 29, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Cock Soup posted:

Again? I was afraid they wouldn't get off that stupid breakdown-only gimmick... I'll give it a listen sometimes later..
Yeah, I mean I know the breakdown gimmick is pretty overdone in the first place but I still enjoy clever breakdowns and even simpler ones when they are well composed like Emmure's usually are, but this time its like they gave up on creativity and just went with a really abrasive yet completely boring sound :/

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

"R2 Deepthroat". Looks like they took "Skynet" personally.

I guess its sad then that I think thats the best new song? Really a pretty terrible album upon second listening. they have lost the touch.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I was about to curse you out because I thought Vanna = Aiden for some strange reason. Then I listened to Dead Language and realized I have heard that song before. I really dig that song in particular, it has a sound that brings me back to some of the better local bands in the Houston area. :)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

It's poo poo.
Literally they are everything that is wrong with this side of the music world.
Basically like brokencyde but less funny.

gently caress you, both the old album and the new one are loving sick and comparing them to Brokencyde of all bands is a loving travesty of travesties

I can understand why they wouldn't appeal to you but they are hardly comparable to that band.

krustster posted:

It seems to me that you guys haven't heard their new album. Although they still look like (and are) faggots they became over 100,000x better musically. JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQhe5qT1Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpGqqYbYs4

:c00l:

Word. Listen to the new and old albums to hear some straight up intense music. Also, whats with all this talk of them being faggots? They sound like they would be tight as gently caress to chill and drink with or whatever.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
seriously you loving pussy. i'm not saying peeing on a bitch is the most excellent thing ever but it has little to no bearing on the music anyway

and god drat if they didn't write some catchy songs on the first album

edit: as long as were judging people we don't know through random media on the internet, i watched a couple interviews of oli sykes in my time and he seemed pretty alright

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
i dont think the music they write is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

ShimaTetsuo posted:

That's because a large number of posts in this thread are about objectively terrible bands, not because it is bad as a genre. I enjoy a number of terrible bands but I don't get all mad about it when someone correctly points out that it is bad music.

bmth is really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children
Sure. I guess if you want to go on about how they are soooo objectively terrible you can, but it gets so loving silly with anyone coming in with a band they like and some internet cool guy comes in with his unique and wonderful opinion that they are "really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children."

The first album is good for what it is, catchy, energetic deathcore. Its hardly boring, I mean if you don't loving like it or want to like it you're obviously going to think it is boring?

quote:

Also, in terms of post-rock/post-metal and metalcore crossovers - is there anything? Any bands known for metalcore songs with slow, brooding bits a la Isis and Cult of Luna?

Yes, look up Irepress on myspace. If you like that (I'm sure you will) then get a hold of their album.

quote:

Because metalcore is considered mainstream. It's not cool to like music that trendy scene kids listen to. The metal elitists think it's generic and boring to listen to. Whereas if you listen to bands like Bolt Thrower and Destroyer 666, you're welcomed in the online metal world.

This times a million.