Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

To throw another band out there, what's everyone's opinion on The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza? I sort of "rediscovered" them today, and am really enjoying their grind element.

Now were getting somewhere. I'm listening to them right now, I was waiting to see if someone mentioned them. They remind me of Ion Dissonance with a little more structure - which is saying something. I almost saw them with Kathleen Turner Overdrive once.

There's also a mention of Daughters, and although I adored Canada Sons, Hell Songs just didn't it for me. Too much..silly vocals. I'm not a fan of his moan/grumble thing.

Other bands that are in serious need of mentioning:

Destroyer Destroyer
Vessels Cast From Crippled Hands
The Heartland
Heavy Heavy Low Low
The Great Redneck Hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The dual-vocals are what really get me. Is this exclusive to their Courtside Seats album?

They lost a vocalist somewhere down the line I believe. On their earlier albums Kids Kids Kids and Courtside Seats go the Greatest gently caress of All Time they still had him but he left for some reason.

Agreed about their new album. It's very good at times and very poor at others - it seems as if the vocalist got a bit lazy.

Their best song is in fact Tragic Tragic Track Jacket.

P.S. If you want to listen to music that will keep you from sleeping at night, listen to Machinist.

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 12, 2009

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Into the Moat's The Design, anyone?

(Not The Campaign, it sucked)

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Never heard of them :O

Got any particular song recommendations I should check out?

Dead Before I Stray, Beyond Trechery, and None Shall Pass are all very good tracks, that's for sure. The whole album's pretty solid - that is, if you're into tech death metal stuff.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Spiral posted:

ok guys sorry i take everything i said about the band back. i watched the video again and ive decided that the MACHINE GUN cliche-breakdown into the EXPLOSION SAMPLE followed by the SPINNING LEG KICK is absolutely the best thing in music ever.

I think I thought this band was trying to be serious, but actually this is one of the best parody bands ive ever seen.

Well now it seems you've caught on.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

And on a completely unrelated note, TERRORHORSE just added me as a friend on Facebook... anyone heard of them (http://www.myspace.com/TERRORHORSE)?

Kinda sound a little like Danza, but with a lemon twist :3:

They're a band from London Ontario, where I go to University. I saw them last year when they opened up for Born of Osiris and they were fantastic.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

MetaKaiser posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Born of Osiris and Liferuiner recently. Question about Liferuiner: are they actually edge or are they mocking the tough-guy edge kids?

My buddy used to play bass for Life Ruiner, and he used to be very straight edge - he even has "X" Tattoos. When he decided he wanted to smoke weed because it's a great time they kicked him out of the band and called him a poser and all his poo poo, then wrote a song about him. It's pretty old and it's from back when they were still playing small sceney shows, so maybe they've changed, but I know for a fact that back then they were obnoxiously straight edge.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Hahahahha thats hilarious, which song was it...?

I don't entirely remember, I asked him but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

the Bunt posted:

FAILURE OF ALL THINGS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YTFH1a9vS0

Most everyone I know hates this band but gently caress it! gently caress you!!!!

Their older stuff is way better. They take themselves a little too seriously now.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The Dirtyness posted:

Lye By Mistake - This band is what you would get if you crossed The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. They are absolutely insane musicians, and while I guess you could label it as Progressive Metal, they really actually are literally very progressive, often having multiple genre changes in one song.

A cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me is a terrible description of Lye By Mistake. Entirely different sounds, entirely different techniques, and entirely different bands. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The Dirtyness posted:

Hey that's just the feel I got from the album. I really haven't heard anything else like it which is why I had a lot of trouble describing it.

Fair enough, it's tough to describe. Sort of an entire genre to themselves. Ostrich Feathers and Apple Pie is one hell of a song.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

lorenzo posted:

Ion Dissonance - I just found this band, very good. kinda similar to wfahm.

You're wrong - they aren't similar. The song The Bud Dwyer Effect is amazing. So is Play Dead...and I'll Play Along.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The breakdown in Lecturing Raskolnikov by Ion Dissonance is incredible.

Just thought I'd add.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

On the topic of starting a band to save the "dying scene"...who wants to start a band in the London, Ontario area!? :canada:

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Daughters are fantastic. Gotta love them Canada songs.

Does anyone like grindcore...?

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Gorewar posted:

You probably need to start/find a venue there first... it's kinda sad when everyone from London goes to St. Thomas for metal shows. It's hard to have a scene when there's nowhere for touring bands to play save for the Lions Hall!

I've been to some shows at some smaller venues like Call the Office or some other place I forget the name of. Some fairly big names come through, but I know what you mean about the scene, it's sort of dead. But that's why I'm here, to give it some life!

So seriously, if you know anyone who wants to start a band of metal proportions...

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

As Hope Dies is a pretty sweet atheist metalcore band from a few years back that broke up.

I've been looking for Athiest metal bands for a long time now. There seem to be very few or they at least go unnoticed due to the literal swarms of Christian-core or whatever you want to call it that's flooding the hollow minds of fifteen year olds everywhere. My roommate, although not fifteen, is very religious and I find him listening to songs with lyrics about punishing Athiests and loving Jesus.

edit: Maybe it's just that Athiests don't preach their message, or convey it as obviously?

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 3, 2009

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Anyway, anyone heard of Wish for Wings? I haven't listened to them much, but I really like their song Day by Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHXdLwvNN0

Okay, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I'm not trying to bitch at you or anything, but this fits that comment I made about christian-core. Listen to 2:43 in that link you posted and tell me that's a good transition or even a transition at all. I feel like these guys got together one weekend and said "hey, want to write uninspired Christian hardcore with a breakdown or two?", and the other guys all said "YEAH BRUTAL XXX!!!".

My point is not to rip you apart for liking this band, I hate when people do that. I know people like it and I don't, and that's my business. I just want to know if I'm alone on an island in the middle of a sea, and as the climate change that is Christianlazycore melts the ice caps that are musical variety and originality, causing the water of endless drone to rise; will I still be alone on this island or will more be forced up to the high ground to join me?

Does anyone understand my analogy?

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

My point isn't that Christian metal is bad, I'm using the word Christiancore as a sort of example. It's just the fact that it's now "hip" or "totally rad" to be in a Christian band that sounds like every other band. For the most part.

Add a lazy hardcore breakdown or an auto-tuned lazy melodic part and you're set. Add a two-step, play in any order, and you're good.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Now, now, I never said I don't like breakdowns or music some people would refer to as noise, but that's not your point.

I don't think that the most popular music is that way because people like it, per se; it's more so because what is being played is what people listen to, and that sort of stems off of itself. For example, Timbaland comes out with a song that everyone loves because it's Timbaland, and then Akon comes out with a song that sort of sounds like that too (or at least like the genre), and it all sort of stems off of itself until eventually it might become something new, but people still like it because they followed it for so long. It's a form of evolution, I guess. The same can be said about any genre, it's just that I used the radio as an example because it seems to be the majority opinion.

Although this phenomena (while not proven in any way, shape, or form) might lead some to say "Hey, don't listen to that, you only like it because it's on the radio!", I understand that each person has their own taste and can listen to what they want to. I just don't think it is a stream on both ends like you say. I dislike the wave of monotonous whatever-core for different reasons than people would dislike what I listen to.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

A5H posted:

They have been around for many years dude!

Seconded. They did a double headlining tour thing with Between the Buried and Me a few years back.

edit: And they're okay.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Looking at the lyrics, there's nothing blatantly Christian about them.

They're called Wish for Wings, their myspace is myspace.com/wishforwingsxxx, and they have a song called afterlife. I remember hearing something Christian in their lyrics too, but I'm not about to go and look for it because I think the evidence is almost overwhelming. Once again it's not the fact that they're Christian that makes them bad, it's the fact that they're Christian infused with the same thing as everybody else, making it even more the same as everybody else. Just very uninspired I find. You're right on both accounts: I was saying they're very Christian AND I was comparing them to Christiancore.

And on the topic of The Faceless, I've always really liked them, but only specific songs. I remember a while back I got web demos for Ghost of a Stranger, An Autopsy, and Dig Out Your Scars. While Dig Out Your Scars was obviously a little weak the other two were fantastic. When they came out the with the album however they remixed the songs and changed a few parts around, so it sort of sounds a little off on the album but still good. I just wish they would make up their mind about what kind of music they want to play and not have all the songs on the album sound like different genres. Haven't heard their new stuff though.

Please tell me SOMEONE still listens to The Sawtooth Grin?

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

you should post some lyrics because this sounds hilarious

These are some of the songs I could get a hold of, a lot of them don't have lyrics up just a few lines here and there make me go all :ughh:

Some of the worst rhyming in history. They obviously didn't think about it, they just said "let's write brutal songs about Jesus and poo poo":

Horror - With Blood Comes Cleansing

It's written in the pages.
You have been warned for years.
Armageddon's coming,
The sum of all your fears. 2x

You chose whom you would serve.
You chose your side,
Now you get what you deserve.

You chose your side,
Now pay the price.

The battle lines,
Have been drawn,
Knee deep in blood,
We'll sing our victory song. 2x

War like this world,
Has never seen;
The time for mercy has passed.

Evil shall triumph no more.
This world wins no more.

It's written in the pages.
You have been warned for years.
Armageddon's coming, the sum of all your fears. 2x

I also find the lyrics to this song particularly terrible, they're posted on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ha4VCwZTI

Heed the Sound - Cry of the Afflicted....ugh:

Echoes ringing in my mind.
They're crying surrender, surrender your will.
Echoes ringing in my mind.
A voice that once whispered is growing and can't be ignored.

Decrease my name.
The grief that’s found in me, You've broken.
Increase your name.
The grace that’s found in me you've spoken.

Hear it clearly declared.
This weakness that held me,
is weakness no more.
Hear it clearly declared.
This whisper of thunder, is deafening.

Decrease my name.
The grief that’s found in me, You've broken.
And replace what I hate.
Increase your name.
The grace that’s found in me you've spoken.

A quiet voice, that once I ignored.
The catalyst, my reason for standing here now.
The Voice of the voiceless.
Now speaks, now speaks through me.
The Hope of the Hopeless.
Your grace, is rising up in me

I think this one is the guy from Stick To Your Guns pretty much saying "hey tell me whatever you want, but I'm not listening because I believe this":

I will stay true to this .. I wont fall .. this means more now than ever before .. your doubt drives me and I bite my tongue .. you hate me and everything I am .. and everything I believe .. say what you will cause I have learned to turn the other cheek .. say what you will .. this is mine this is for me we will rise up together .. we are one we are family .. this world may bring us down .. but it cant tear apart this family .. be strong .. keep your head up .. because this struggle will only get harder to handle .. this is where my heart lies

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

eminkey2003 posted:

Anybody here like Tower of Rome? I'm thinking of buying "All is Lost..."

Your money won't be put to waste, let's just say that.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Holy poo poo, I click play on Color Lines and BOO is the absolute first thing that comes to mind. Seems like a Strain/Emmure situation where you have someone who plays very similarly but still does it well enough to be enjoyable.

I hear exactly what you mean. These tech metalcore bands are usually a dime a dozen, but this one seems to do it well - even while sounding very similar to Born of Osiris at times. It's not every day I hear a band I don't hate.

edit: a NEW band I don't hate.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

krustster posted:

good choice, I picked that one as my "OFFICIAL CERTIFIED BEST SOLO OF 2008" and have listened to it over 1 billion times!

Just missing it at February 2009, the solo at about a minute into the song Wet Warthog by The Heartland (broken up :smith:) is definitely a candidate of 2009's Best Solo award.
http://www.myspace.com/theheartland

BONUS: In their blogs there's a fairly well-recorded live show, with a flawless rendition of the solo and the rest of their songs.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Garrdor posted:

What do you guys think about Sink The Missouri? (Uh oh, shameless self promotion)

https://www.myspace.com/sinkthemissouri

This is interesting because you advertise that you need a drummer on the myspace, and I used to play drums for a sludge meets god speed you black emperor sort of thing. There were no vocals, but that's probably because we were only a band for about two months.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

krustster posted:

Come on now, that solo is good and way better than the one in "Ometh".

not to mention the rest of the song is breathtaking :negative:

Fixed that for you, you must not have noticed what you wrote.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Also, is The Heartland currently selling a CD with the songs on their myspace player on it?

It's called Frontier, I'm not sure how available it is though; whether it's hard or easy to find. I'm pretty sure you can get it somewhere.

P.S. Seeing Protest the Hero again on the sixteenth. They're playing Fortress all the way through.

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 4, 2009

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Wickacha posted:

Dude, I saw Protest on November 20th and they played Fortress all the way through. It was the first time they ever played Bone Marrow! It was amazing, they did it all note for note, then closed with Turn Soonest to the Sea and Blindfolds Aside. Totally worth going to and I can`t wait to see them in Toronto later this month.

I've seen them a billion times and I have never been disappointed. The second time I saw them they played Kezia all the way through which was phenomenal. I'm glad they close with two songs, because there is NO way they could choose one song from Kezia.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

If I get bored enough I may try to make a vid for one of their songs and put it on youtube (gotta learn how to make videos though :v:)

Seeing as how this is the only way we'll here them, you should get bored enough.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Yesssssss. For some reason it took me months to find this thread and apparently I like "metalcore" even though I don't know what the gently caress it is. A quick wikipedia search shows me names such as Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, All that Remains, Killswitch, ect. So I'm in the right place before I say something stupid right?

You're in one section of the right place. Trust me, this thread covers a lot of ground.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

TheQat posted:

Dillinger was awesome like always. Setlist:

Good Neighbor
Panasonic Youth
Fix Your Face
Sugar Coated Sour
When Good Dogs Do Bad Things
Mouth of Ghosts (!!!)
Sunshine the Werewolf
Lurch
Goodbye Mona Lisa
43% Burnt

Wish they'd been headlining, but that's what the spring tour is for!

They should have played The Mullet Burden :colbert:

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Welp, it was minus 18 with the wind chill last night in London, Ontario, and if you've been keeping up-to-date on the transit situation in the city you would also know that the bus strike doesn't end until tomorrow. The Protest the Hero show was over a 45 minute walk away, so that's all that can be said about that.

And, to counteract all of these equally as welcome bands, one of my favs.

AND, on the same note as some of the more recent bands being added; a buddy of mine I jam with sometimes (we went to go to high school together) went an entirely different direction than what we played and sings for this band. Other than the fact that he stole some lines and song names from one of my bands (I think...), it's catchy for the kind of music it is. Haha.

edit: drrp.

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2009

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Leave it to me to post another awesome band. If you like stuff, click here.

P.S., There is no difference between any As Blood Runs Black album. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 8, 2010

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

illestG posted:

Does anyone get down to iwrestledabearonce?? They're my very favorite metal core band. If anyone else know just how sick they are holla

You know those parts when she sings?

Yeah, not that.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

krustster posted:

Late to this one, but I'd say you're right considering how they only have one album.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that, it's like no one even pays attention to me UGH!

Cock Soup posted:

I don't think any crabcore band takes themselves seriously.

That doesn't really make it good, though. You can't just dismiss how terrible it sounds.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Please for the love of god ask them to weigh in on Craig Owens being kicked out of Chiodos.

(They have a hilarious feud, for those unaware)

I was unaware. Why are they having a feud?

ShoogaSlim posted:

I admit that bands like "We Butter the Bread with Butter" and "I Wrestled a Bear Once" are retarded names for bands that actually suck. But I get a lot of poo poo in this thread for liking a band with a name that's only three words and isn't completely retarded sounding (Winds of Plague).

Actually, Winds of Plague is a terrible name. But that's not the point.

I see what you're getting at and agree in a sense. The thing is when you hear a band with the name "We Butter the Bread with Butter" and "I Wrestled a Bear Once" you can pretty much assume nowadays what it's going to sound like.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I was referring to the fact that people in this thread dislike WOP regardless of how long or dumb their band name is. So it shouldn't even be a factor in choosing whether to give a band a listen or not.

As per norm I agree with you on your main point. The band name has nothing to do with the music said band puts out. One of my favourite bands happens to be Lower Definition and yet that's an absolutely terrible name.

[quote="Traitorous Leopard'}
This is why we hate Winds of Plague drrp drrp
[/quote]

Don't take this the wrong way (seriously), but I don't know what your point is. I actually don't know why everyone hates WOP so much in this thread, they fit in EXACTLY as all the others do.

I mean, I'm definitely not a fan, but that's because I'm not a fan of most of the music in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

My biggest problem with that link in particular is the video. It's so loving stupid. Metal videos don't have to be serious, but if you're going for silly (which I'm not entirely sure they were doing either) don't just do stupid poo poo.

It's a terrible video. I hate Winds of Plague. It's just that the reason I hate them is very similar to the reasons I hate a lot of bands. Just an observation, my friend. More directed at everyone, ideally.