Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Normally just prefer to lurk in this here sub-forum. I'm normally just tend to listen to the most mainstream djent/metal/deathcore and while I previously never had the August Burns Red bug, by mere coincidence this came as part of my youtube recs (huge music gear dork)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBIb-R2D6A

... and now I'm jonesing to know what's the name of the song in the first 40 seconds or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's the first track, Provision, off one of their older albums, Rescue & Restore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCD_JXUAG0M
Suh-weet! Thank you!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was indeed the initial lead. It kinda reminded me of a less... um, spastic-ky Periphery? I mean, I love the heck out of Periphery, but sometimes the sudden tone shifts between sparkly cleans and heavy riffery need me to be in a very specific mood, otherwise I just feel like bailing or listening to something a bit less jumpy. Well, relatively speaking.

By mainstream I think I meant like Every Time I Die, Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour, Converge, Killswitch Engage. Y'know, older stuff, I guess. :corsair:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dango Bango posted:

New BMTH song dropped today and it's not good. Even for current-pop-BMTH. (I really liked That's the Spirit too.)
gently caress. I loved Sempiternal and That's the Spirit, too. :negative:

Visions is still the best song those noisy neo-britpop boys have ever released. Fight me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot that Architects still exist and that the new record is surprisingly not garbage! :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My fellow goon, you have to understand that after Tom passed away, I was hella skeptic. But goddamn does Holy Hell absolutely rip.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

what bands can you guys just not stand despite them being well-received otherwise? am i the only one with a long list of "this poo poo sucks"?
It took me a long time to get into Thy Art is Murder, but I for the life of me couldn't get into The Adversary and Hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzhC-o7DLeY

Hearing Absolute Genocide loving dropped me on my rear end.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I respect the hell out of Code Orange but goddamn I just cannot listen to their music
Oh god, same. I like their ideas, but Forever was a step down from I Am King, which wasn't like super essential listening in the first place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In Waves had its moments, but...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Everything after Shogun is Bad though
This is pretty much it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally heard Amo in full, and here's the thing: It's a mostly OK record but coming from a band with a relatively strong catalog, it does feel like a huge step backwards and I don't see myself revisiting it as much as I do with There is a Hell... or even the previous That's the Spirit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wamsutta posted:

Parkway Drive too
At least Parkway Dri-- yeah, I got nothing. :cawg:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

twerking on the railroad posted:

So then horizons was album 1?
Eh, both This Is What... and Count Your Blessings were borderline garbage with some slight promise. Like, as far as UK modern metal/heavy rock bands were concerned, they were slightly better than Bullet for My Valentine, Lostprophets and Funeral for a Friend, but that's feels like damning with faint praise, tbh.

Everything after those two varied between somewhat decent (Suicide Season), pretty darn good (That's the Spirit and Sempiternal) and loving rad (There is a Hell...). So far, Amo felt kinda like a step back after TTS, but maybe I'll warm up to it. Also, both Tesseract and Architects can eat them for breakfast as far as rad discographies go.

ninja edit: Also, Oli Sykes can go gently caress himself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, lol. My bad. :xd:

To get this back on topic, from the new Parkway Drive album I must accept that I sorta liked that one song that kinda sounds like a dumbed-down "Sad But True".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

PII is one of my favorite albums of all time; I just love the way it flows from start to finish.
It's the breathing room most of the songs have at the end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Born of Osiris ripped both times that I saw them, which were once with both Jason Richardson + Lee and later with only Lee manning all them 7 strings. With Chelsea Grin I saw them only once with the Guitar trio which included Jason Richardson and... now I'm wondering if he's gonna last in ATR.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wasn't it BoO where the lead guitarist/writer actually was a shithead addict though?
You're probably thinking of The Faceless. Not that he's alone in the shithead (or addict) department, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's basically the complete opposite of Tosin in my opinion. While I know they're both incredibly proficient with the instrument, AAL tends to bore me in long doses (their last album has grown on me to the point that I actually listen to it fully fairly often, though), but IRL? An incredible gentleman and an absolute blast of a human being.

OTOH, Jason's jams are more up in my alley but by jove is he an insufferable fuckbin.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seconding the Erra recommendation, because HOLY poo poo :swoon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruGCtdvkKu0

Brojob coming through with a Valentine's Day jam
Charmed! :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

Enter Shikari did it better and also matured into a better band. (Beartooth and Of Mice and Men suck)
A-friggin-men on Enter Shikari. :hfive:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel strange for only getting half of that back and forth.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was mostly just Phil being Phil

Remember, due was a willing guest along with Milo on Infowars last year.
Huh. Well that sure is something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kumba posted:

Phil's vocal range is completely wasted now, sad

Also Jason Richardson's talent will now be completely wasted, double sad
He'll probably make more money so that he can do his solo albums and buy dumb tank tops. At least he won't be the most insufferable fuckbin in the band now, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

you're talking about dudes in bands like they're wrestlers or in a soap opera (same difference)

someone post noteworthy riffs or gtfo
Most metalcore dudes wish they could make the bank wrestlers or tv actors do, probably.

To get the thread back into riffland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6FYFyhx398

Any newer bands that try to do the You Come Before You kinda sound justice?

Please don't say Code Orange. :pray:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't hung out for long here, but perhaps progress was in order and Shooga recognized and decided to rise up to the occasion?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

Code Orange and Knocked Loose definitely have more of an "edge" to them in terms of music style. I always associated PTW as being more melodic post-hardcore with breakdowns or whatever. KL is straight up mosh hardcore and CO are weirdo industrial nu-metal with breakdowns.

Dissonant hardcore is the closest I can think in terms of the PTW sound. I really love Axis and you should listen to them regardless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF7rthIVbvM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgtOixwY780

PTW contemporaries, This Day Forward, are one of the best bands in that specific subgenre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBFMUkwoJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRXAZdmWKc
Thanks for this!

I don't actually dislike Code Orange. I have both I am King + Forever and dig 'em both, but for months on end people told me to check 'em out because they were "The second coming of Poison the Well". And I was like :raise:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3YJybXkJg

'Nother new Periphery tune. Not as good as Blood Eagle, but it's a'ight.
Swingin'! I like it. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

emdash posted:

blood eagle came on my gym playlist shuffle for the first time last night. what a track in the right context
For pumping serious iron. :cool:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: How does this still happen?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

This Everytime I Die sucks, whereas this Every Time I Die rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQo2RQMWEM
Every Time I Die is one of my favorite bands period, and for like a decade I was kinda reluctant in listing them as one of my all-time faves because of every other "angry" guitar band I held in a pedestal (Fugazi, Sabbath, Voivod, Sleater-Kinney, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Soundgarden, 90's Helmet, you get the idea), because of my own stupid hipster BS train of thought.

I think it was when I heard Low Teens for the first time the morning after purchasing it (had it pre-ordered and paid for from Google Play) as I was jogging that morning and I realized how... not necessarily creepy, but loving alien it sounds at times. Then I heard the "It Remembers", "Petal" and "The Coin Has a Say" trio of songs all in the space of like 9 minutes and said: "gently caress this namby-pamby, second-guessing bullshit" and I started singing the praises of these mo'fos whenever possible.

Also, they should do that weird, creepy Drop A-A tuning they do in like 4 songs more often because goddamn does it rip.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if they still were with Ferret or were already with Epitaph, but I remember reading "A dumb, fun tailgating party meets Charles Bronson movies" copy-write somewhere and I thought "that's like the most accurate description of these guys' sound ever". :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's this about?
Some of the most incredibly powerful lyrics that Keith has written (Revival Mode off Ex-Lives, Moor off FPU and almost everything off of Low Teens) were influenced by things that happened to his wife. Like 80 or 90 percent of the lyrics of Low Teens are influenced by Keith trying to come to terms with the possibility that either he was going to lose his wife, his unborn daughter or both.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also like a poo poo-ton of literary references because if someone can absolutely wreck Dustin from Thrice when it comes to referencing poems, books and whatnot, it's the Buckley that screams.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Dirtyness posted:

This is crazy, I had no idea. Keith is really an A+ vocalist both in his lyrics and delivery. I don't know how he's been doing his thing for 20 years now without absolutely destroying his vocal cords. I get that there's a lot of technique involved in this style, but he makes it seem easy and has a sense of urgency in his delivery that makes everything hit so hard. Still haven't seem them live. On the bucket list for sure.
Dude actually lost his voice during the recording of From Parts Unknown due to laryngitis and fell into a funk as a result. When he came back after almost two weeks, he actually finished recording the rest of the record in something rock-gently caress insane like 8 hours.

Dude is a great writer, as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wamsutta posted:

I saw ETID in broad daylight in a parking lot on a festival tour and it was still complete madness

What’s the show u felt the most sure someone was leaving in a bag

For me it was It Dies Today and The Acacia Strain in CBGBs (RIP). That place was way too fuckin small for that show, it ruled
Soilwork started touring the U.S. while promoting Natural Born Chaos, IIRC. I remember wanting to go see them at one of their tour stops, since the lineup was something rock-gently caress insane: It was Hypocrisy, Soilwork, Unearth and I think Chimaira? But alas, it wasn't meant to be due to the fact that my band was also on tour and we needed money.

Then I heard that Thrice was doing a number of showcases at around the same time. There was one at the Chain Reaction and it coincided with one of our many multi-day breaks. So I got in on that.

I almost died during "Phoenix Ignition". It rocked. :rock:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that I've been at an ETID show where someone was going to leave in a police car, though.

For indecent exposure. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

You sure that wasn't an old Daughters show?
It's really hard to forget the scene of Jordan dry humping another dude while wearing nothing but a towel and his sneakers. :cawg:

Back to "times I almost got killed by some crazy rando on tour/going to shows", I also remember that one time my previous band played at the same venue with Darkest Hour (our gig was actually a few hours earlier since it required no ID; theirs did, otherwise you'd get bracelet'd) and since I had kept correspondence with John (singer) and Tito (tour manager), they asked us if we could help them with junk since Mike's (guitar player and I think the only OG member left from DH) amps were down for the count. Since Tito has always been a solid dude with a poo poo-ton of people, it was a no-brainer and I loaned them my Mark IV head.

I remember I was opening the van's door when out of nowhere, some loving nutjob chucked an empty glass bottle near my head and I remember both Tito and Paul (former DH bassist) shoving the motherfucker outta there. It was probably among the scariest loving things that have ever happened to me because, like, I've never met that guy who pulled that poo poo and he decided that my head was a loving piñata and tried to crack it open.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I wanted something similar to the last 3 records of Architects, what would you recommend? I've been wearing those 3 records out like nobody's business this past week.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These three slapped extremely hard! Gonna check on Google Play to see what I can buy through the weekend. Thanks! :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Misery Index can be considered sorta grindcore, methinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stelio Kontos posted:

Definitely the two Crystal Lake albums prior to the most recent are very Architects-esque.. Architesque?
I'll be sure to give them a listen. Thanks! :)