Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

There's just something to be said about listening to a band from their beginning and watching them slowly fade into something completely unrecognizable and NEVER playing anything you like from their early albums. It's really depressing and feels like an insult to early fans who want to hear old songs when you go see a band live.

Their new stuff might be good for whatever sound they're looking to achieve now, but I wouldn't know because it's not the same band that I know from the past. It's something new and it tries to reach an entirely different audience. I'm sure they hope original fans will evolve with them to like the new stuff as well. But I'm sure most of these bands realize how the "scene" works and that most kids reject you once you get big. Not for the fact that a band has gotten big but 99% of the time because it meas the music has turned to garbage in the process.

I failed to realize that the majority of the people that post in this thread are probably a huge wave of people that started getting into -core music very recently and the kind of people I see at shows and hate for "ruining" my scene.

I've been following this thread since a couple weeks before the new btbam came out, and so far you are the only person I really just hate.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

It has nothing to do with your "taste" in music, if you want to call it that. Rather, it has more to do with the fact that your posts read so annoyingly that they almost come off as fakeposts. If they are, then you are drat good at it.

Actually I just checked your post history, and it looks like you're really just a douchebag in every thread.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

As for the current state of metalcore, I think it's quite obvious that this genre is very limited to what it can and can't do. Because of this, it's taking the same route that punk did in the late 80's/early 90's. It's dying. Bands can't keep making the same album or they will fade into obscurity. The bands that realize this are taking a natural progression out of metalcore. Any genre that doesn't allow for much influence from other genres or innovation is fated to end at some point.

Why do you think metal will never die? It's because it borrows so much from other genres that it is constantly evolving and becoming influenced by everything else. I know I don't speak for everyone but I think that just about every genre can be combined with metal and sound loving awesome if it is done right.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I know this may come as a shock to you, but you know some bands become popular because they are actually good. A rise in popularity doesn't always mean a fall in quality. A lot of bands that are "still releasing quality material" could easily become more popular with the right advertisement, without compromising their music in the process.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

You don't just "happen to" appeal to a large number of people when you write blatant breakdowns like the one I describe. You are "trying to" appeal to a large number of people. Especially when your breakdowns are as pathetically lazy as the one I described.

I was only arguing that point the other guy was trying to make. I obviously don't listen to poo poo I don't like. I've already expressed the small amount of music I actually do listen to and enjoy in this thread.

Please tell me how that breakdown is lazier than the songwriting in The Acacia Strain's 3750 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUdFuY74ek&feature=related

I mean come on, this has to be some of the most generic poo poo I've ever heard. Instead of making one lazy breakdown and the rest of the song being somewhat interesting instrumentally, it seems The Acacia Strain decided to just be lazy for their whole goddamn song.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the Bunt posted:

I might agree that the songs can be meandering but I don't think they're pointless. It's not as if it's random riff after random riff. They all tie themselves together really well, imo.

Colors did really well with keeping a unifying musical theme throughout each song, and Alaska did so even more. It took me a while to really hear the completeness of every song in Colors, so I'm hoping the same will happen with their new album. As it stands now, it doesn't seem like it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

New protest was pretty disappointing imo. None of Rody's melodies surprise me. All of the notes he sings are too close together to sound interesting or adventurous. Plus he constantly sings a whole octave down from where he was on fortress and kezia and I just don't like how it sounds. I've had this problem with him since scurrilous but it's just gotten worse as time has gone on (volition had a lot of songs that broke this pattern though which was great). Usually I can just listen to the guitars during the parts where the vocals are boring, but even the guitar melodies seemed less inspired on this record. Maybe I just need to listen another couple times but overall I'm pretty bummed. Fortress is my favorite album of all time.