Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Seconding, thirding, whatevering, BTBAM, As Blood Runs Black, and August Burns Red. All amazing bands that are awesome at what they do.

By far, my favorite hardcore/deathcore band would be Emmure. Those guys play some of the sickest music I've ever heard and it's been consistently amazing through an EP and two albums (soon to be three). Some of the band members also played in a, now separated (I believe) band called From The Pawn which is also pretty good.

Also, a favorite of mine that I've seen locally a few times, but by no means a local band, We Came As Romans. Some of the breakdowns are just the sickest things I've ever heard and the clean vocals are actually very well done. Definitely worth checking out.

And has anyone noticed a lot of -core bands are Christian bands? Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Texas In July, Whitechapel, Attack! Attack!, etc. As someone who doesn't particularly subscribe to any religion, it's weird that a lot of my favorite bands are singing about god and preaching their faith and whatnot.

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

deadwing posted:

haha, now you're in my domain. scenecore is my specialty. first, check the new The Word Alive EP, Empires out. it kicks a lot of rear end.

Greeley Estates. their latest disk, Go West Young Man... kicks a ton of rear end.

I See Stars. 3D has been described by some as a better version of Attack Attack!. I think they're fairly different, but still worth checking out

In Fear and Faith. it's like attack attack!, but with more structured songwriting and lyrics about pirates. hearing the singer scream PIIIIRATES LIFE FOR ME over a sick breakdown made me a convert.

hell, just look through Rise Records and The Artery Foundation's roster until you find something you like.

I just saw I See Stars and In Fear and Faith for the second time with Our Last Night at a local venue here in South Jersey. Anyone passing through or near Vineland, NJ should stop by Hangar 84. There's a show practically every night that caters to the large hardcore crowd in the tri-state area and they showcase a lot of the local -core talent. The venue is amazing and some big bands have been there and are coming around. For instance, on the 30th Suicide Silence is playing (awesome deathcore band) and Parkway Drive is supposed to be there with A Day To Remember sometime in October.

Back to what I was saying though, the show was pretty good. I See Stars definitely isn't bad, but their music is hard to get into enough to dance along with. In Fear and Faith was slammin and even with the huge crowd the pit was pretty ferocious, definitely a talented group. About the lyrics, I think this is the band that sings that "Big Bad Wolf" song. When the lead singer started screaming that it was mayhem.

And to defend the Whitechapel thing, I just assumed they were a Christian band because I was looking for the Mychildren Mybride CD on Amazon once and they were lumped in there with all of the other Christian bands in the "Other items you might also like to purchase" thing.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
It's probably the same tour. Emarosa was supposed to play, but they got lost or something and never made it. I've never heard of them though, so it didn't bother me. The venue gave out vouchers to get in free the next time they come and play, which I swear they said was with ADTR and Parkway Drive, so seeing that for free is going to make it so much better.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Orange Soda posted:

I've been listening to a loving awesome band called Thy Art Is Murder lately. They're only a new band, but they've got a good following so far. Australian deathcore band.

Here is their Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/thyartismurder

Horizons is a good album, but I do love Killing With A Smile.

Parkway Drive is such a sick band in general, but I definitely think Killing With A Smile is the better of the two albums.

Suffokate, ABACABB and For the Fallen Dreams just played around here recently and it was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. Suffokate and ABACABB are two of the heaviest bands I've ever heard.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

krustster posted:

I'm not sure what "jumped the shark" means but I think all of us normal people can agree that Attack Attack is loving horrible. They deserve to reside in the same mass grave as BrokeNcyde.

That's not fair. No band deserves to be compared to Brokencyde. Those guys are garbage.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
ADTR was really good for a long time. I really enjoyed their first two albums and even their newest album isn't horrible. The problem I have with them came from their lyrical content. Just about all of their songs are about people hating them or trying to keep them down or how they're going to prove everyone wrong. It was fine on the first album, but Jesus Christ, get the gently caress over it. You guys are an extremely popular band from a genre of music that isn't that popular outside of the scene, so what the hell are you complaining about? Maybe that's just me though.

On a lighter note, I saw We Came As Romans the other night and they were spectacular. They slayed. ABACABB and Suffokate are supposed to be playing around here again soon too, I can't wait.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Pres posted:

As much as I love ADTR me and my mates have a running joke about their hilarious lyrics before breakdowns.

DISRESPECT YOU SURROUNDINGS!

Hahaha! We do the same thing. We try to see how many more ways we can water down "gently caress poo poo up".

"Do unkind things to the area around you"

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh no, my roommate likes the same music I do, it's just that pretty much everyone else here thinks it's a sin to listen to it :|

I think that's just a general association people make when they don't listen to this kind of music. I think when people hear heavy music with gutturals, screams or any harsh vocals, they tie it back to that old ":rock:80s metal dude, rock on with your horns up, Pantera bro, Metallica man:rock:" poo poo.

I get asked by family on a regular basis if my band plays "heavy metal" and how they never got into "head banging" music when they were younger. And then there are people like my dad who swear that even bands where the lyrics are very clearly pro-Jesus and pro-Christianity is Satan's music because the vocals aren't clean. :iiam:

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Traitorous Leopard posted:

That song has a very hardcore vibe to it - no gutturals/bree's so it's not deathcore. The playing is nice, but it's just not exactly my cup of tea :3:

Edit: On an unrelated note, I just found this song today as well Attila - Soda in the Water Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihw7EPYIM1Q). The first thirty seconds kick rear end, why don't more bands do the whole :pcgaming:speedy-talking thing:pcgaming:

:pcgaming:slut-butt:pcgaming:

Hahaha holy poo poo! The gang yell (I'm a sucker for them or something) at the beginning and the "Ha, hahaha!" sold me completely. Good poo poo.

To contribute: Divide the Sky is a pretty sick band from around my area. They just recently got back from recording this album, I believe. Anyway, the song is Epiphanies and it's sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bsnaLS6Kp8

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Just realized today that I hadn't seen this band mentioned yet. I dunno how popular they are, but they've headlined a few tours that came through here recently and their shows are always sick. A lot of their music is really catchy, especially the clean vocals, which is also fun because they do them well without making their music too poppy.

Vanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ip068JgM&feature=related (Dead Language for a Dying Lady)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4r6U0Ohzo (She's a Real Battle Axe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJiJ8Ok7Mc (I Am The Wind, You Are The Feather)

They are the weirdest looking people I have ever seen in my life. The lead singer can't be more than 4 feet tall (slight exaggeration, but he is a tiny guy) and they always have the craziest facial hair. Last time I saw them, they all grew out wild mustaches. They're a trip hahaha.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
The intro to Dead Language is probably my favorite in any song I've heard. It's hard to stop yourself from moving once the music kicks in. I'd definitely suggest catching these guys live if they ever come by your area (though I just read that they got a new vocalist so if I it isn't what I talked it up to be, I apologize for lying to you all).

Edit: This might not be the place to do this, but this Friday I was going to video tape my band's practice so we had some recording of our music. It'll only be one song that we wrote last week that's about two and a half minutes long. The only problem is we haven't got my bass restrung (no money) so that'll be missing and our PA is just me and the other vocalist on two little Ibanez/Squire amps screaming our lungs out to beat out the the drums. Anyway, if I were to upload it on YouTube and post it here, would everyone be willing to throw some criticism our way (constructive or otherwise; any feedback is good feedback)?

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 31, 2009

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Hahaha, MyChildren MyBride just played around here recently. Their merch guy was this little dude with "Militia" tattooed on his head and he jumped into the pit and started trying to man handle people. Someone put him head first into the wall. Greatest thing I've ever seen. South Jersey just goes hard.

The band is loving amazing though. Headshot anyone? loving, the heaviest song about Halo ever written hahaha.

I've been listening to a lot of Born of Osiris and Liferuiner recently. Question about Liferuiner: are they actually edge or are they mocking the tough-guy edge kids?

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Tonight I saw one of the most brutal shows ever. Oceano, Stick to Your Guns, Evergreen Terrace, and headling, dugga dugga dun dun dun...Emmure. As much hate as everyone has for that band, they put on a pretty intense show. Oceano was pretty amazing too, though. Next to Emmure, they definitely put on the best show of the night and I hadn't even heard of them before they walked out on stage.

Fun story: Someone hit the bassist of Emmure in the face with a tennis ball during their set and right after the show, Frankie was ready to roll this kid out in the parking lot. He ended up completely outnumbered and surrounded by these fat fuckers that think they're "FSU" while everyone else walking around kinda egged it all on. As much as it sounds like stupid macho bullshit and as much as you all probably wish he got rolled the gently caress out, I swear Frankie was right up in every one of their faces ready to fight regardless, and most of these guys had at least 6 inches and a hundred pounds on him. Eventually the whole band came out and people started screaming poo poo at one another and the security guards and cops broke it all up. Frankie was really chill afterwards though. He was joking around with me and a few other people about it all and he was just a nice dude. I got a fuzzy camera phone picture of all this nonsense going on for the memories :3:

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
DL is the hardest loving dude I have ever seen in my life. I remember the singer for ABACABB being a big rear end guy too. That'd be pretty sick to see.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
I have to throw my hat in as a dancer. Push pits are awesome as long as people can not take offense to being being hit and keep poo poo civil, but I two step and hardcore dance and poo poo mainly. There's nothing better than being at a show, hearing a breakdown that just catches you and makes you go, "Oh poo poo!" and running into the center of the pit and going for broke. I've done my fair share of knocking guys around and laying people out, but at the same time I've taken more than enough fists to the face or kicks to the side, stomach and (sweet merciful Christ) my junk. Business as usual.

Speaking of dancing, does anyone circle pit anymore? One of the bands that recently played with Born of Osiris, Suffokate, After The Burial and All Shall Perish (I think they were called Caliban or something. They sucked) asked people to circle pit and everyone was kinda like, "Wtf...who does that?" Maybe it's just a local thing that we don't get involved with that nonsense. If I wanted to run laps, I'd go to a gym or something.

Edit: Circle pitting spotted two posts up. I should read more closely. I'm not bashing you for doing it, I guess I just don't understand.

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 1, 2009

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Eight Is Legend posted:

Some of you guys might dig this - a new song by We Came as Romans from their upcoming debut album: http://www.myspace.com/wecameasromans

RIYL: The Devil Wears Prada, Vanna, a lot of Equal Vision Records bands

Love these guys (I think I said that at least once already though). They're coming back to Hangar 84 in November and I cannot wait to see them again. Their new song is pretty sick, I'm digging it. It sounds sorta like a combination of a couple of their other songs (I can hear elements of Shapes, Dreams and Conditions in it). That might seem lazy or whatever, but it actually works really well in this case. Can't wait for more.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I See Stars

These guys are actually really catchy and they're awesome live. Those three song are slammin, but I figured I'd throw my favorite into the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYHbRH1qs4

"I'm the big. bad. wolf. See the pigs, they run in horror"
And the pit explodes.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Miss May I and iwrestledabearonce played tonight in my city with Of Machines, Inhale Exhale and some other randoms. Everyone sucked except Miss May I and IWABO (which was surprising because Of Machines is pretty good on their albums), even though the singer for the IWABO couldn't make it because her tonsils were inflamed or something.

They let people from the audience come up and sing their songs, it was intense. I got the mic for Tastes Like Kevin Bacon, but I guess some other dude up there had called it before I went up, so I had to hand it over. I felt like an rear end, but I got to scream the breakdown at the end and then I dove into all my friends who were telling me to jump.

Minus feeling like I got punked down in front of my peers (the guy who screamed instead of me sucked), it was pretty loving sick.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

the Bunt posted:

Hahah, that sounds pretty cool. So it wasn't awkward having a missing vocalist for IWABO?

Surprisingly, it worked out pretty well. The kids that got up there to sing were going in pairs and during one or two songs they either did too much or didn't do enough (they'd be screaming over one another and just going way too long or walking around doing nothing). Most people didn't even know their songs, but what they were coming up with was pretty slammin considering it was on the spot. It was interesting to see different approaches to the vocal patterns people have with the same music.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
I guess this belongs in here as well. Post-hardcore is still hardcore.

How does everyone feel about Four Year Strong? I've been crushing their Rise Or Die Trying album the past few weeks. Probably the catchiest thing I've ever heard. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Abandon Ship or Abandon All Hope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHKz86shOWo
(Anchor come and drag me down before I take a dive)

Maniac (R.O.D) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ryw4Yv_TE
(I've always heard that the good die young! There's little time left to prove them wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

OnlyJuanMon posted:

What are our feelings on Carnifexand Suffokate? As of right now, they are the premo deathcore bands out there IMO.

I've seen both of these bands live a couple times and they're always awesome. They're both so heavy it's ridiculous. Suffokate's "The Skies Were Filled With Fire" and Carnifex's "Slit Wrist Savior" and "Lie To My Face" are three of the most brutal songs I've ever heard in my life.

When we used to gently caress around at practice, I liked to do the tremolo picking to the end of TSWFWF.