Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Hello landscape thread, it's been a while.

Sunrise From Red Pass by Josh, on Flickr

Sunrise From Red Pass 3 by Josh, on Flickr

Sunrise From Red Pass 5 by Josh, on Flickr

Headwaters of the White Chuck River by Josh, on Flickr

Skalabats Peak Sunrise by Josh, on Flickr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really like this one

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

qirex posted:

I really like this one

I think that was my favorite of that morning (and maybe the trip) as well. I wish the mountain had cleared out a little bit more that morning, but I appreciate the clouds a lot more looking at the photos than I did at the time.

Glacier Peak and its Meadows 2 by Josh, on Flickr

White Chuck Valley 2 by Josh, on Flickr

Towards Red Pass by Josh, on Flickr

Two Different Water Sources
by Josh, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skies are better with clouds in them, without any filtering the sun is just one giant dynamic range fucker-upper.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Unknown Flower by Josh, on Flickr

Suiattle Glacier Pano by Josh, on Flickr

Lower Glacier Peak Basin Pano by Josh, on Flickr

Glacier Peak Sunrise by Josh, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's very rad, I like it a lot.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

gently caress yeah brutalism!

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hauled myself out of bed at 4am to get to this spot and I still got there about 30 minutes after sunrise. I imagined you might be able to see the seagulls flying around a bit more but the background is just too busy for them to stand out, still pretty pleased with the results.

EDIT: Also did a drone thing:

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 12, 2020

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Those are really cool. Would you say the color of the water in the drone shot is more true to life? I just bought some Portra and I'm planning to shoot some landscapes with it. Kinda wondering how it handles blues.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cheers, tbh I think they're both about right for their respective angles and lighting conditions. The impression I got looking at the water from the angle of the first shot was of dark blue and silver, it was a completely clear blue sky just after sunrise which I'd imagine the ocean was reflecting from that low angle, if anything I feel like the water might not be a dark enough blue. From the drone's top-down view however into shallow water I can imagine the more green/aqua colour is accurate as there wouldn't have been any sky reflection from that angle.

I'm also scanning my film with a digital camera and inverting in lightroom, so I end up having to do a lot of manipulation with the colours to get it to look 'right' anyway, I think with colour print film you can generally have a lot more license over the overall look of the photo compared to slide film.

Which portra did you get? This was 400 which I believe is more saturated than 160. Nothing wrong with using portra for landscapes, it handles being over-exposed pretty well so you can typically let the sky go a bit more and get more details in the shadows. If you end up wanting more saturation or contrast you can just crank the sliders a bit while editing after scanning. That portra shot of mine has two gradient filters, a bunch of dodging and burning, a bunch of spot corrections for clarity and colour temperature, some use of the HSL sliders etc. And all that is after the negative inversion and 'gross' colour correction.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That all makes sense, thanks. I got Portra 400. I've only been shooting film again fairly recently and using mostly Fuji C200 or 400H and experimenting with different B&W films. I think I'm settled on HP4+ now for the majority of B&W shooting, but I wanted to try Portra since it's so well regarded before I settle on Fuji color. I've only shot one roll of slide film ever.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 15, 2020

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm into it, just sucks about the CA in the top left corner

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I really like this one. What are you using to shoot you IR shots? Infrared photography has always really appealed to me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Rainier Sunrise - Color by Josh, on Flickr

Black Mountain by Josh, on Flickr

PCT, North of Red Pass by Josh, on Flickr

Unnamed Tarn by Josh, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm digging this series

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I really like this one. What are you using to shoot you IR shots? Infrared photography has always really appealed to me.

I just have a full spectrum converted Nikon D7500 from lifepixel.com. Using a terrible kit lens at the moment, but it's been great fun. The crap lens actually adds to the images.

Overall, it's very tricky to get perfect results and it does require a lot of post processing to really make the images pop. I'm also in the process of doing some IR timelapses (my main reason for getting in to it), but the workflow is horrific. It has been fun working out how to do it though.

Megabound posted:

I'm digging this series

Cheers!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

toggle posted:

Overall, it's very tricky to get perfect results and it does require a lot of post processing to really make the images pop. I'm also in the process of doing some IR timelapses (my main reason for getting in to it), but the workflow is horrific. It has been fun working out how to do it though.

Really interested to see how these turn out. It sounds wild.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

toggle posted:

I just have a full spectrum converted Nikon D7500 from lifepixel.com.

I take it you ordered a converted camera from them? I have an old D40 collecting dust I was thinking of having modified at some point.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

rockear posted:

I take it you ordered a converted camera from them? I have an old D40 collecting dust I was thinking of having modified at some point.

Yeah, I have a D600 that I don't use, but being in Australia the sending in a camera process was too much trouble. Was easier just to get one of their pre-built ones.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

20200830-IMG_0682.jpg by Josh, on Flickr

20200829-IMG_9888-Pano B&W.jpg by Josh, on Flickr

Unnamed Peak - B&W by Josh, on Flickr

Rainier Sunrise - B&W by Josh, on Flickr

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sunset and mountain layers. Can't really go wrong there.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Bit of crossposting from Hiking and Backpacking megathread. These two and previous from Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Alternate sunset take

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

This reminded me of bliss.jpg and I like it.