Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Some loving idiot posted:

edit: nah , not gonna feed trolls

I assume this was another pointless take on consumer culture that was neither well thought out nor well written but must be defended to the death otherwise you look "wrong on the internet". If it was an attempt at humor please accept this offhand chuckle as an official response "heh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

posting like an unhinged rear end in a top hat to own the unhinged assholes

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Subyng posted:

You could argue that women's fashion ultimately exists in it's current form for the purpose of making women appealing to men. But I wager no female fashion designer would ever tell you they design women's clothes *for men*. I mean isn't it kind of paradoxically sexist to say that women have little agency over what they deem to be the standard of beauty without involving men? Sure there's no mistaking the fact that our standard of female beauty have been historically shaped by men but implying that a woman can't also find the same things beautiful without "actually" just bending to societal pressure is kind of hosed up? At what point do we "allow" women to "own" their own standards of beauty?

Edit: lol just realized those posts were from almost a year ago

Oh well :justpost:

I have absolutely no idea what this is in response to, because we were never talking about fashion, and I was arguing that women should have more agency, not less. If you don't like getting criticized for posting badly, maybe don't post badly? The irony of accusing people participating in a thread of killing the forum when you clearly hadn't read this thread in a year is incredible.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

8th-snype posted:

I assume this was another pointless take on consumer culture that was neither well thought out nor well written but must be defended to the death otherwise you look "wrong on the internet". If it was an attempt at humor please accept this offhand chuckle as an official response "heh".

What's funny is calling someone a loving idiot because you were too much of an imbecile to understand what you were quoting, then desperately sweeping up the pieces of your fragile ego by doubling down on insults while pointing the finger back at someone else for not wanting to look "wrong on the internet". Lmao. How pathetically transparent.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Subyng posted:

What's funny is calling someone a loving idiot because you were too much of an imbecile to understand what you were quoting, then desperately sweeping up the pieces of your fragile ego by doubling down on insults while pointing the finger back at someone else for not wanting to look "wrong on the internet". Lmao. How pathetically transparent.

Jesus, dude. Participate, don't participate, who cares. Post portraits, or critique portraits. Even disagree with critiques. But get off your horse.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Subyng posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAVrZh7hV0

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this is in response to, because we were never talking about fashion, and I was arguing that women should have more agency, not less. If you don't like getting criticized for posting badly, maybe don't post badly? The irony of accusing people participating in a thread of killing the forum when you clearly hadn't read this thread in a year is incredible.

Not having posted in a year =/= not having read the thread in a year. Obviously I just got around to catching up to the thread now.

I know you weren't talking about fashion, but you were talking about societal pressure to conform to standards historically set by men, to which fashion is topically adjacent to, and well I didnt and don't want to write an entire essay, but the question I was trying to pose was how does one evaluate someone to objectively truly want a certain aesthetic vs "wanting" it because of societal pressure.

Also since when are undisguised insults considered "criticism"?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 16, 2020

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

posting like an unhinged rear end in a top hat to own the unhinged assholes

I'm learning that this is the only acceptable way to post.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Subyng posted:

Not having posted in a year =/= not having read the thread in a year. Obviously I just got around to catching up to the thread now.

I know you weren't talking about fashion, but you were talking about societal pressure to conform to standards historically set by men, to which fashion is topically adjacent to, and well I didnt and don't want to write an entire essay, but the question I was trying to pose was how does one evaluate someone to objectively truly want a certain aesthetic vs "wanting" it because of societal pressure.

Also since when are undisguised insults considered "criticism"?

Desire is inextricably linked to societal norms and pressure. There's no "objectively truly want" here.

You obviously weren't contributing if you're only just catching up to posts from a year ago, and indeed before this your last post in the thread was five years ago. You have no room to lecture other people about killing the forums.

You may not like the form of the kind of criticism you're getting, but that doesn't make it not criticism. I'm surprised you haven't learned this somehow in seven years of being on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

Desire is inextricably linked to societal norms and pressure. There's no "objectively truly want" here.

You obviously weren't contributing if you're only just catching up to posts from a year ago, and indeed before this your last post in the thread was five years ago. You have no room to lecture other people about killing the forums.

You may not like the form of the kind of criticism you're getting, but that doesn't make it not criticism. I'm surprised you haven't learned this somehow in seven years of being on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Oh come on, topics dont have an expiration date in an internet thread, especially not from 2 pages ago. Don't think it's a worthwhile post? Then just ignore it, except for one guy who decided to needlessly be a dick.

"You're a loving idiot" is not criticism. Come on.

Maybe I just post in parts of SA where people dont act like assholes needlessly? Anyways I'm done feeding trolls, get in your free quips and burns now!

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 16, 2020

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Subyng posted:

Oh come on, topics dont have an expiration date in an internet thread, especially not from 2 pages ago. Don't think it's a worthwhile post? Then just ignore it, except for one guy who decided to needlessly be a dick.

Of course there isn't an expiration date, but you told people who contribute way more than you do (yes, including the person who's pointed out that you're an idiot) that they're killing the forums. Does it come naturally or are you trying to miss the point of everything anyone has said to you in this thread? :thunk:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

look at this loving idiot

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some Lightroom 10 color grading test photos:

Main reason we went was to try out this kerosene lamp. Now I know it is not bright enough as a sole light source, need a gelled flash too to give general light.

Teal-orange split test photo with two Godox AD200Pro's:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ihmemies posted:

Some Lightroom 10 color grading test photos:

Teal-orange split test photo with two Godox AD200Pro's:

The orange highlights in this one look overexposed. You can still see a lot of texture in the blue side of his face but the orange side loses a lot of detail. This to me suggests you might want to reconsider the ratios or spacing/positioning of your two lights with one another. Also, sometimes darker gels and soak up more light than lighter colored gels even if both lights are on the same power.

Did you have these gels just on top of the bare light? I personally love the less harsh look of putting a diffuser of some sort after the gel to soften the light a little bit making the color casts a little less harsh but thats personal preference.

AdvilSmith
Aug 15, 2014

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
Went for a walk today with my son. No planned photo shoot but good practice.

Camera:Canon EOS 50D
Lens: Promaster Spectrum 7 EDO, 28-300mm, 1:3.5-6.3,

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some urban exploration.

More, bigger, sharper: https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2021/04-18+-+Kaisa/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

From same day's evening:

More, larger, sharper: https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2021/04-18+-+Ella/

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

From same day's evening:

More, larger, sharper: https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2021/04-18+-+Ella/

Not a reg, but I like these images a lot. Great palette. Solid subjects

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks! A model asked me on instagram to do a photoshoot with her. No one has asked me before.. it's always been me doing the asking :D Well we didn't have any ideas, just went out and took some photos:

What a surprising surprise! She said she liked my style, so why not ask me... :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We were going to do a photoshoot with a friend. One day she asked instead if I could take photos with her.. and her sister. Welp.

Went to take some Tiffen Black Pro Mist #1 filter test shots with them. Of course in direct sunlight in midday because it was too cold otherwise.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 10, 2021

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
This weekend I spent an evening around the firepit with some old family friends, & somehow managed to make a happy evening look pensive... :shrug:

P7246215_bw by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P7246183_bw by Dan Packer, on Flickr

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
Met this dude after work in the nearby nature reserve, he was chilling under this tree and I asked him for a portrait

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Photos with direct flash? Yes. Was not my idea. Found an old Nikon SB-600 from my closet. Haven't used it in 10+ years, seems to work fine still.

Whole set here. Took maybe 20mins to edit them all.

https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2021/10-06+-+Suora+salama/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This one is cool

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This one is cool

yeah that one owns

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

What a surprising surprise! She said she liked my style, so why not ask me... :shrug:

dude these are excellent. I am really envious of your great work here.
it feels frustrating thinking you're good, and you clearly are, but people don't come to you.
my experience with models isn't generally very good. some are good and some are even great, but most communicate to you as if the photoshoot is very far down their list of priorities, and you often don't get satisfactory feedback in my experience :(

here are some of my favorite shots from my time over this year doing shoots with people

I got so many good shots out of this shoot, I am wary of posting too many of them in case someone thinks I'm obsessed or something

I really like this shot

this time I really wanted something different, wanted to give a feeling of cold

god drat I like my 135mm lol. the blonde was shot with a canon 100mm macro lens but the rest on a sigma 135mm. I'm one of the only photographers in the local scene that shoots with a lens that long and I hope it helps me stand out.

also would love to get better at editing. I am not stumped at all by the software, it's my artistic ability that poses the problem.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I like how intimate and familial the second image is.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

it feels frustrating thinking you're good, and you clearly are, but people don't come to you.
my experience with models isn't generally very good. some are good and some are even great, but most communicate to you as if the photoshoot is very far down their list of priorities, and you often don't get satisfactory feedback in my experience :(

here are some of my favorite shots from my time over this year doing shoots with people

I got so many good shots out of this shoot, I am wary of posting too many of them in case someone thinks I'm obsessed or something

I really like this shot

this time I really wanted something different, wanted to give a feeling of cold

god drat I like my 135mm lol. the blonde was shot with a canon 100mm macro lens but the rest on a sigma 135mm. I'm one of the only photographers in the local scene that shoots with a lens that long and I hope it helps me stand out.

also would love to get better at editing. I am not stumped at all by the software, it's my artistic ability that poses the problem.

I find the composition in the middle series of images awkward - a lot of bad crops on the hands/body. They also feel very similar to each other, they feel static (except for the last one), the posing is uninspired, it’s too by the book.
There’s nothing too interesting happening within the frames. There’s a lack of emotion in the model’s face, or a lack of range - it’s the same smile in all of them.
The lighting is flat and I don’t think it works with the mood you’re trying to set.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
echinopsis's series looks like it could use another stop of exposure. At least on my phone.

Trick of the trade, always do full body composition and choose your crop afterwards. It's also just less to think about while shooting. There's already so much to keep track of.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 31, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

I find the composition in the middle series of images awkward - a lot of bad crops on the hands/body. They also feel very similar to each other, they feel static (except for the last one), the posing is uninspired, it’s too by the book.
There’s nothing too interesting happening within the frames. There’s a lack of emotion in the model’s face, or a lack of range - it’s the same smile in all of them.
The lighting is flat and I don’t think it works with the mood you’re trying to set.

That was the second shoot I had ever done, and it was overcast. But thanks for the feedback, most of the time on instagram or whatever I get no feedback whatsoever and have no idea if what I am doing is ok or not, and I find it quite difficult to judge my own work, I am usually never quite sure what I should be improving.

um excuse me posted:

echinopsis's series looks like it could use another stop of exposure. At least on my phone.[/quote

interesting.. see I really dislike the colour in a face to be washed out, and so possible end up underexposing, it’s something i’ve been told before that I do, but when I look at those pics on my phone I actually totally agree, and with the above poster, the lighting is quite underwhelming when I look at them here. I did “re-edit” them last night (just those ones
of the blonde) before I posted on this thread and I do have a sneaking fear I left fuckin fl.ux on when I did it lol. fuckin idiot.

I think I have just as much to learn regarding editing as I do shooting.

quote:

Trick of the trade, always do full body composition and choose your crop afterwards. It's also just less to think about while shooting. There's already so much to keep track of.
thanks. still have a lot to learn.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 1, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

I like how intimate and familial the second image is.

Thanks kindly, it's probably my favourite portrait I've taken, and I'm glad that feeling comes across to others.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 1, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

interesting.. see I really dislike the colour in a face to be washed out, and so possible end up underexposing, it’s something i’ve been told before that I do, but when I look at those pics on my phone I actually totally agree, and with the above poster, the lighting is quite underwhelming when I look at them here. I did “re-edit” them last night (just those ones
of the blonde) before I posted on this thread and I do have a sneaking fear I left fuckin fl.ux on when I did it lol. fuckin idiot.

You whites are flat. Turn them up, turn up the exposure, turn down the highlights and you should get into the ballpark. Those photos are a few entirely reasonable adjustments from technically acceptable. I almost always bump up contrast too, but that's simply a preference I have when I make the previous adjustments to fix flat lighting.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

That was the second shoot I had ever done, and it was overcast. But thanks for the feedback, most of the time on instagram or whatever I get no feedback whatsoever and have no idea if what I am doing is ok or not, and I find it quite difficult to judge my own work, I am usually never quite sure what I should be improving.

yea instagram is poo poo for having discussions around images - be it critique or conversation.

it helps to look at images you like and try to deconstruct them and try to make similar images then have them critiqued to see where you've missed the mark. as you get better at mimicking the images you grow beyond just straight copy and you develop your style.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

echinopsis posted:

It's just that my marketing and social skills are no good. You need 3 skills as a photographer, and only one is actual photography :D

Well one friend wanted some photos which we will take later. My price was to take some test photos of her with flash. What do I do with money, nothing? Setup was Godox ad200 and triopo softbox. I think two first ones didn't have flash.

https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2022/05-18+-+Venla/

She also wanted a portfolio so I made a 20-page one in A4 size. I'll probably get it printed too after we take the photos I promised to take later. She thinks it's a bit too much to actually print photos in 2022, but I think it will be nice.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 1, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

You whites are flat. Turn them up, turn up the exposure, turn down the highlights and you should get into the ballpark. Those photos are a few entirely reasonable adjustments from technically acceptable. I almost always bump up contrast too, but that's simply a preference I have when I make the previous adjustments to fix flat lighting.

thankyou so much for this. for a moment there I had huge self doubt and questioned everything I felt, and all of a sudden saw my images in a new light and felt sad and hopeless lol. I appreciate your feedback.

I am shooting a tfp meeting this weekend, and the main model, gosh after the comment about the same kind of look, I am worried lol. well, I'll have fun but man she doesn't put much personality in face wise anyway, which is a shame because she's great to shoot with. that' what you get for living in christchurch new zealand lol.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

For inspo, these two photographers do interesting work and are pretty distinct from each other, and you can see how much a difference the model can make in the photos.

https://instagram.com/candagarslani
https://instagram.com/lukasz_wierzbowski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if I shared a couple of the dng files, do you think anyone would have the motivation and spare time to see what they could do? just for curiosities sake? (i wouldn’t post them or whatever, not looking for free labour)