Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

Well I guess you need to Photoshop more?

Was it intentional to leave in the ribs of the unbrella mixed in with her hair?
The criticism of your editing job was sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea, part of the appeal of my business model is I turn around shoots in less than 24 hours. I don't open Photoshop unless someone pays me to specifically. That's about what Lightroom can manage so that's what is delivered.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

you need to stop reading Strobist articles (if that still exists) and you need to also stop putting the subject along the rule of thirds lines or points or whatever.
all the photos look stilted.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They can be cropped to not do that. It's a very minor issue and these 4 photos are part of a 75 image set. There are plenty of shots where the subject isn't looking into frame.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

do you have any images in the larger set that have a more subdued lighting style?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You're going to have to be more specific. Subdued as in the backdrop isn't a strobe? Because that's what the other 3 are. The smoke shot is relatively low key by comparison but I don't have any sillouette or proper lowkey shots if that's what you are asking.

Plus the posing and outfits goes pretty much straight into budior from there.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a shot where the flash isn't the primary source of illumination - those all feel aggressively about the flash itself, they could benefit from having a bit more of an environmental feel. i don't mean a specific technique in lighting, rather a toned down version. like this shot:

she's standing by a bright window, but it seems like the sun is inside the room, illuminating her from the interior. it would work better, i think, with a more "natural" feel

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yea, there were a few of those.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the 2nd one feels like she's standing on the surface of the sun instead of in the shadow on a wall, but i think the 1st one is much better and doesn't have that strobist feel as bobmarleysghost was saying

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I literally don't know what that feedback meant anyways. I don't read the strobist. Just don't use strobes for everything?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it means your portraits look more about the use of lights than of portraits, the strobes and flashes and modifiers dominate the image

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Yea, part of the appeal of my business model is I turn around shoots in less than 24 hours. I don't open Photoshop unless someone pays me to specifically. That's about what Lightroom can manage so that's what is delivered.

See that's perfectly fine and all, but "I wasn't paid to put in that kind of effort" isn't a proper deflection of the criticism I was offering. The editing looks like the same crap I pulled when my old boss wanted me to photoshop a model stripper onto a flyer for endless margarita night at his strip club and get it to print within an hour. That's great if you are aiming for cheap and fast, but people here are going to criticize images as if you put time and effort into putting out the best possible product.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I don't invalidate the criticism either. I would love to give all of my photography the attention to detail it deserves but for large shoots like this I average about a minute per photo in post.

I'd personally love to branch into single motive per session photography but the people I work with aren't looking for art, just sets of photos to shore up their Instagram for the next month. I just try harder, and apparently hit on models less, than all the other dickheads with cameras so the bar is very low and I can get very complacent as a result.

Edit: As much as I hate to say it, I do get feedback all the time about how I "must be good" because of all the lighting I bring. It helps sell the business so I do a lot of the cheap tricks like the strobe background or the color gels.

This particular shoot was around 150 photos out of the camera in 90 minutes, keeping about 75. My whole deal is just fast fast fast.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 27, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bellows lugosi posted:

it means your portraits look more about the use of lights than of portraits, the strobes and flashes and modifiers dominate the image

This is probably the most accurate and concise feedback on these images. It seems like you're using extra light because you want to use lights, not because the scene necessarily calls for them. You're using a model in a few scenarios that suggest natural light to be the primary light source, (windows etc) but you're fighting it with bright artificial strobes from odd angles that don't feel natural. It might just be my screen but almost everything seems over exposed.

It's really easy to think "I just need this piece of gear to make beautiful images" but learning how and when to use light is more important than a new diffuser or box if you don't know where to put it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's feedback I'll take into consideration too. I'm not just handwaving criticism because the specific shoot isn't a good fit for it. It'll be in the back of my head the next shoot. And instead of using strobes for 75% of shots, it may be closer to 50%. Or just more mindful placement of lighting, or just less focus on variety and a better focus on quality.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You probably want to think about how and why you are using the lighting.

Camera Test-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I wish I didn't have that bright triangle in the upper corner, it's distracting!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
In addition to the lightning I think you've run into the same basic problem with these as you did in the forest. It doesn't seem like you have a good grasp of how to make use of the environment. In all of these there's stuff around (plants windows grass etc) but they don't work either in terms of composition or theme. You need to get rid of the setting or use it better because it looks messy and pointless. A random assortment of objects including an awkwardly posed woman

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Big Camera-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Another shot with my really big camera. It takes a lot of light so I tried sitting in direct sun. It was very hard not to squint.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

um excuse me posted:

This particular shoot was around 150 photos out of the camera in 90 minutes, keeping about 75. My whole deal is just fast fast fast.

Do more preplanning. Scout locations (including the approximate time of day tor lighting) and come up with a set of "basic" poses that you cycle through organically as you move through the shoot.

You are doing yourself no favors by trying to make speed your selling point. Engage your clients, provide an enjoyable experience, and your hit rate will naturally rise.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can promise it wasn't the selling point I pushed, its just what everyone prefers. I have also gotten positive feedback on "my ability to give directions" ??? Like are other photographers just sitting there silently? How low is the bar here?

Prescouting is a great idea where I can manage. A lot of shoots I do at people's houses. *breaks into house at night* "HELLO DO NOT MIND ME". I get your point I'm just being silly.

Maybe I just need to keep posting poo poo until you guys just tell me it doesn't look like poo poo.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a frame for my really big camera so it's a lot easier to use now.

Big Camera-7 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
A few candids from my processing backlog...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The one of the kid is good. I love moments like that.

Another photo taken with my big camera. I'm pleased with how well it's working now.

Big Camera-10 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

She wanted some graduation photos. Asked me specifically 3 months ago. Well I'm off to a trip tomorrow so I did some quick 1 hour picks and editing yesterday. I'll look through these again later in a few weeks! Less yellow/orange skin tons at least would probably be good.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I can tell you're a professional because your camera says Professional on it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Exactly, how else would you know?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We had a photowalk and I tested flash and some kind of split lens filter.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

We had a photowalk and I tested flash and some kind of split lens filter.

Very cool. Gives me 80's movie poster vibes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theres some nice shots here for sure :)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

A couple more candids from last weekend...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely nice man

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

More candids...

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so im gonna try to take a stab at portraiture in the new year and I'd like for some gear recommendations

i shoot landscape/streetscape on my cute but ancient d40 with the kit lens and a 50 prime. i'm trying mostly to shoot outdoors during daylight because of how bad my sensor is. i mostly shoot on a tripod but i think i wanna do this handheld. in terms of gear for a bike-portable mobile setup, what's helpful? should i pick up a bounce flash and one of those gold/silver reflector shades? i love taking my fuckin time doin landscapes but obviously shooting live will be different, so any hot tips on the gear and practice side of things?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

cool thread

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
D40s are more than capable enough, try to not shoot people in straight daylight though, shade is far better.

Rather than buying gear, try taking photos of friends first and look hard at the pictures to find out what you like, don't like, and could do better. This thread also typically gives very good and honest feedback.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Encountess posted:

so im gonna try to take a stab at portraiture in the new year and I'd like for some gear recommendations

i shoot landscape/streetscape on my cute but ancient d40 with the kit lens and a 50 prime. i'm trying mostly to shoot outdoors during daylight because of how bad my sensor is. i mostly shoot on a tripod but i think i wanna do this handheld. in terms of gear for a bike-portable mobile setup, what's helpful? should i pick up a bounce flash and one of those gold/silver reflector shades? i love taking my fuckin time doin landscapes but obviously shooting live will be different, so any hot tips on the gear and practice side of things?

nice

I love portrait stuff. no one else in the yospos thread really does it.

my personal opinion, is save anything to do with a flash until later. it's challenging to get it right, and I think it's more than a person starting out should be worrying about tbh, to easy to gently caress around with the flash rather than pay attention to the model and get some good work out of them.

imo, search for your lens on instagram. it'll give you really good examples of what is possible with it, I think you'll find that helpful too

lens wise, 50mm on a crop sensor is equivalent to 85mm on a full frame, and that length is considered by many to be the perfect portrait length. perhaps look up 85mm on instagram and see what kinds of things spin your wheels too.
you can probably get quite far with that lens without having to get much more yet. IMO

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Health Services posted:

This thread also typically gives very good and honest feedback.

hmm maybe. with photos I can quite happily be content with the aesthetic alone, and I've seen photos on here that I have liked had holes poked in them that I never would have been concerned about, so I am quite content to continue to enjoy the photos I take, I don't need someone making me think I'm worse than I already know I am

:smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i drove to my favorite traffic camera to take a self-portrait

Only registered members can see post attachments!