Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Took test photos with 2-3 flashes on Tuesday. Chiefly everything went quite badly, but these two photos were maybe OK I guess. Flashes are hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

echinopsis posted:

hmm maybe. with photos I can quite happily be content with the aesthetic alone, and I've seen photos on here that I have liked had holes poked in them that I never would have been concerned about, so I am quite content to continue to enjoy the photos I take, I don't need someone making me think I'm worse than I already know I am

:smugmrgw:

Isn't that the point though? Half the criticisms here aren't things I would think are issues but then I see a hundred other photos and think, oh that's why it's a good idea to watch out for [criticism] in future photos I take myself.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

adnam posted:

Isn't that the point though? Half the criticisms here aren't things I would think are issues but then I see a hundred other photos and think, oh that's why it's a good idea to watch out for [criticism] in future photos I take myself.

spose what I am saying is that I like my photos, and I have pretty thin skin, and criticism is going to make me like my own photos less. and probably lead to me doing less photography overall

Ihmemies posted:

Flashes are hard.

sure fuckin are

I quickly gave up on them, not sure how I was convinced in the first place to give them a shot. the photography I like in the first place is almost entirely natural light anyway, and it's what I want for myself

flash is real good, but reaal fuckin hard

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

echinopsis posted:

hmm maybe. with photos I can quite happily be content with the aesthetic alone, and I've seen photos on here that I have liked had holes poked in them that I never would have been concerned about, so I am quite content to continue to enjoy the photos I take, I don't need someone making me think I'm worse than I already know I am

:smugmrgw:

There is the chill thread if people want to post pictures with no pressure or feedback.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Hello, I'm going to post this here as I'm currently in a studio photography class and portraits are obviously our focus.

This photo specifically was the first shot of the session, and was actually going to be a throwaway shot as two of the three lights didn't fire for various reasons. Only the light with the snoot attachment focused on her face fired. Further, I had yet to dial in the correct exposure. As such, the original photo was underexposed and lacking the look we were striving for with the project (snoot light on right side of her face as main, softbox on left side as fill and a color gel light pointed at the backdrop to create a gradient color halo effect behind her head.)

BUT, when I got home to edit I saw an opportunity to go creative with the first shot and this is the result. For me, it's training of the nature making something out of nothing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got two shoots coming up this week. I am excited I haven't done one in ages and need those fresh photos to edit god drat it!

The weather might be poo poo on one of them... I ONLY shoot natural light so bad weather truly fucks me up.

I took this photo last year. It's a copy of a kind of cliche effect, it's not trying to tell a story, just a photo of a pretty young woman, but I think all things considered it came out well. I didn't blow out the highlights either lol

(I can't choose between the two edits)

it's mostly the model and the camera/lens doing the hard yards here. I just pushed the button :lol:

here's another from the set

I am really happy with them.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 9, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

Hello, I'm going to post this here as I'm currently in a studio photography class and portraits are obviously our focus.

This photo specifically was the first shot of the session, and was actually going to be a throwaway shot as two of the three lights didn't fire for various reasons. Only the light with the snoot attachment focused on her face fired. Further, I had yet to dial in the correct exposure. As such, the original photo was underexposed and lacking the look we were striving for with the project (snoot light on right side of her face as main, softbox on left side as fill and a color gel light pointed at the backdrop to create a gradient color halo effect behind her head.)

BUT, when I got home to edit I saw an opportunity to go creative with the first shot and this is the result. For me, it's training of the nature making something out of nothing.

I like this man. and would love to hear more about the class as it carries on

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

echinopsis posted:

I like this man. and would love to hear more about the class as it carries on

Thank you! I have another shoot with the same fellow student this Friday. We're reverse engineering a photo.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Had the shoot today. Everything went really well. I just winged it on the setup of the lights and sort of nailed it on the first round of shots. Total luck moment and the photo gods must have been with me. I decided to shoot with the Helios 44-2 58/2 lens for the super wide open creamy soft light look and went ahead and threw it on the tilt shift adapter so I could dial in a super tight plane of focus and just murder the soft bokeh everywhere other than right on her lips. It worked out I think.

Here's the original that I was trying to recreate, from Takashi Hayashi.

And my attempt to reverse engineer it

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Your plane of focus is way too tight. The original has fairly clear definition all the way through, whereas you just blow everything but part of the mouth out.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Your plane of focus is way too tight. The original has fairly clear definition all the way through, whereas you just blow everything but part of the mouth out.

I agree, part of that was to hide the obvious differences in the outfit. Tho, I really don't think the professor will worry too much about the outfit.

Thank you for the feedback 😊

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took this photo

I am pretty happy with it. At first I wasn't happy with the sun flare, being kinda off centre, but imo portraits shouldn't be perfect, I'm not in a studio trying to take a photo for a magazine, so that's not my goal, so I have come around to liking it a lot as it is. I wish I had underexposed it a bit, because while it doesn't ruin the picture and I'm not trying to recover the detail in the sky, the harsh cutoff at the top of her hair isn't the best. BUT it's hardly image ruining

Sunset is the fuckin time to take photos though, the lighting is basically perfect as is, these are my settings:

(everything else is untouched, and the colour temp is actually as shot, despite it saying custom (I must have tweaked it and then set it back to default))

I'm sure you could tweak it, but my point is that a) this camera takes nice photos and b) the sunset light really is that good

also, guess the focal length. people who know me will know what it is so those people don't spoil the game

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 22, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
105mm @ f/3.5 ?

Nice shot! What camera? I'm not caught up on your timeline.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s a canon eos R

close with the lens.. but not quite ;)

oh and thanks :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol well I was gonna wait for more guesses but no one else turned up

was 135mm at f1.8

I ONLY use that lens and nothing else. I’m doing the whole, restrict tools to force creativity thing, or at least that’s what I say. for some reason people keep encouraging me to use shorter lenses but you know who else uses shorter lenses? basically every one fuckin else and I’m not gonna stand out by doing what everyone else does

plus the results speak for themselves imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
another post by me

took a lot of nice photos on saturday. this is probably best. hope you all enjoy

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

echinopsis posted:

another post by me

took a lot of nice photos on saturday. this is probably best. hope you all enjoy

Did you take one with her shoulders visible? I find the coat/wrap/dress takes away from the contrast.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

His editing takes away from the contrast

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

looking pretty decent re: black levels honestly i think the editing is fine

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

torgeaux posted:

Did you take one with her shoulders visible? I find the coat/wrap/dress takes away from the contrast.

contrast is bullshit imo

bellows lugosi posted:

looking pretty decent re: black levels honestly i think the editing is fine

thankyou very much I actually put a lot of time going back and forward and settling where I did so i’m
glad you like it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

echinopsis posted:

contrast is bullshit imo

thankyou very much I actually put a lot of time going back and forward and settling where I did so i’m
glad you like it

Different kind of contrast. I'm not talking about your post work, but the wrap interferes with a nice contrast of background and skin tone. The lighting, pose and subject really work, but again, I'd like to see how it looked with more shoulder.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_2659-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2735-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2335-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those are great 🙋

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I especially like this one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

A portrait of my grandmother. I just recovered this from an old failing hard drive from about 15 years ago that I didn't have backups for. take care of your files people!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of the few times I've felt a wide lens was the right tool for the job.

lovely photo

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great capture!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
The colors came out really well in that picture. That's a lovely photo and I'm glad you were able to recover it. That reminds me, I need to get a backup system :ohdear:

Here are some pictures I took of local EGL friends. I'm just never sure of my color work. Any advice or resources?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bottom Liner posted:

A portrait of my grandmother. I just recovered this from an old failing hard drive from about 15 years ago that I didn't have backups for. take care of your files people!

excellent natural framing as well, she's being framed inside of both of the bright windows and she's centered on the wall. very good naturalistic portrait

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Bottom Liner posted:

this is great!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

I shot this portrait almost a decade ago of my now late grandfather. I'm planning on having it drum scanned and printed for my mother soon.
I'm not too happy about the framing cutting off his wrists though. Any suggestions for cropping or should I just leave as is?

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 28, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ominous Jazz posted:

The colors came out really well in that picture. That's a lovely photo and I'm glad you were able to recover it. That reminds me, I need to get a backup system :ohdear:

Here are some pictures I took of local EGL friends. I'm just never sure of my color work. Any advice or resources?

I think these are good bro. kinda stuff I like to shoot.

I personally lean toward making stuff look more filmy, at least a normies idea of film, but that's just me.

I shot a pinup the other day. bright colours, in full sun too. tbh I wasn't happy with most of the photos, just didn't really feel the shoot that morning.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did a wee shoot recently

my style is definitely all about the model that’s for sure

when I first started I wasn’t so sure how to define my style or how it would evolve and you sort of try everything, and as a contrast, I’ve got friends who definitely try to strike a theme/scene and the model is just one piece of that whole puzzle.. the style I have evolved, and ultimately because I like it, is absolutely about the model themselves

I like these pictures a lot, as does the model

there’s a lot of photographers here in town and they all have their style, and some are good and some are kinda average. within my lane however, I think I am one of the best.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

echinopsis posted:

I personally lean toward making stuff look more filmy, at least a normies idea of film, but that's just me.

please how

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

are you asking me how I try to achieve it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing someone once made a point of saying, when I was discussing how I raise the blackpoint in lightroom, was that your average cheapo developed film we remember from our childhood, isn't necessarily how film is, but how cheapo developed film is.

so the look I am often going for isn't film per se, but a particular kind of nostalgic style idea of film photos I remember as a kid

if you aren't just taking the piss and want to know what I do to get the particular look I am going for I can share.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I too often raise the black point, but my reference was from older magazine looks where they didn't have proper black on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it reminds me of looking at a matte photo, because it's reflecting all the light in the room as a light sheen over the photo so you can't see darker details, and matte finishes and photos feel premium to me, and it gives that feel to the photo

that said, sometimes it feels like I've just cast gray over the photo, which I kinda have

you can go into colour grading and in the shadows section just push up the luminance for a similar overall effect but you can add a bit of red saturation and it doesn't look so gray-ish