Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I have the worst eye for good photography.

I enjoyed the sepia. :(

Wench

Edit: To contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Choicecut posted:

Then keep it. It's not like it was egregious looking or anything. Would probably look nice in print.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

akadajet posted:

Then keep it. It's not like it was egregious looking or anything. Would probably look nice in print.

Uhhh..Ok..Hey sludge, can I have your pic to keep and print?:)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I would usually never go for sepia but I liked it better than b/w and I'm not proficient enough in PP to make it rule in colour.

Was gonna print/frame and give it to the family.

Maybe I've been huffing too much ether

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

Maybe I've been huffing too much ether

Ahh.. Devil Ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Choicecut posted:

I have the worst eye for good photography.

Wench

Edit: To contribute.

This is your wife right? It's a nice photo technically, but she looks like she really isn't feeling it.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

underage at the vape shop posted:

This is your wife right? It's a nice photo technically, but she looks like she really isn't feeling it.

haha yeah, she was being an asshat cause I kept telling her to relax her face and not smile. I'm trying to capture that contemporary art/deadpan look.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Choicecut posted:

haha yeah, she was being an asshat cause I kept telling her to relax her face and not smile. I'm trying to capture that contemporary art/deadpan look.

I don't know about deadpan but I am pretty familiar with the look you did get ☺️

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

I don't know about deadpan but I am pretty familiar with the look you did get ☺️

I, too, get that face from her all the time.

Sepia is a phase every photographer goes through. Soon it will pass, replaced by a short flirtation with platinum-print emulation. Somewhere in there is toying around with grunge brushes and blurs and other aging effects. Then you learn to love true black and white, dismiss the gimmickry for what it is, and try to forget about that end of your flickr stream.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Huxley posted:

Children are good at deadpan.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

thetzar posted:

Sepia is a phase every photographer goes through. Soon it will pass, replaced by a short flirtation with platinum-print emulation. Somewhere in there is toying around with grunge brushes and blurs and other aging effects. Then you learn to love true black and white, dismiss the gimmickry for what it is, and try to forget about that end of your flickr stream.

It's more than a little condescending to lump Sludge Tank - a dude who does a whole lot of actual wet plate work and alternative processes - alongside beginner photographers who are going through a sepia phase and emulating alternative processes with grunge brushes.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

It's more than a little condescending to lump Sludge Tank - a dude who does a whole lot of actual wet plate work and alternative processes - alongside beginner photographers who are going through a sepia phase and emulating alternative processes with grunge brushes.

I know nothing about Sludge Tank's wet plate work. I saw a photo that was rendered sepia in post, and commented in turn. Actual wet plate is awesome. Fake sepia almost never is. This example included.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thetzar posted:

I know nothing about Sludge Tank's wet plate work. I saw a photo that was rendered sepia in post, and commented in turn. Actual wet plate is awesome. Fake sepia almost never is. This example included.

a good chunk of the value of a critique is context

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
lol

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

thetzar posted:

I, too, get that face from her all the time.

I agree with you, I would never have gone for sepia in the past. I'm not proficient enough in post production to bend sliders around to make images rule hard. I tried it in b/w and in sepia and I just thought that the sepia complimented the tones nicer than b/w.

Your opinion is entirely valid. Maybe I'm spending too much time looking at old photographs and old processes to appreciate the value of strictly black & white or digital images that have been maximised in post production. I just thought the tones looked a little nicer in sepia. I tried bending it around in black & white but couldn't be happy with it. It's more a photo for her to use as promo stuff for her music. I'm still really happy with it.

fwiw I went and got it printed 11x14 in b/w to have framed because I felt bad about making it sepia but kinda wish I'd stuck with it now. :smith:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 5, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
fwiw I think the black one looks fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

fwiw I think the black one looks fantastic.

Yeah same.

To be completely fair I don't mind the sepia as much as I usually do, but the B&W one is great.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I prefer the warmth of the sepia, but the b&w is good, too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

now lith print bitch

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

To be completely fair I don't mind the sepia as much as I usually do, but the B&W one is great.
:same:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

imo the sepia version makes the subject stand out slightly more whereas the b&w one gets lost in the background? Disclaimer: I am not supporting the use of sepia in general

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Just out of curiosity, why is there so much hate for sepia? I feel guilty for liking it. :(

My Bro Andice @ Bevin'

Edit: Have a portrait of my bro Andy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IMO the hate is mostly because it's a cheap way to try to invoke a certain feeling or emotion by moving a slider instead of relying on your shot being evocative due to its actual merit. Still, if you like something, you like it and shouldn't feel bad for that - just be prepared to defend that position because it's not very popular in groups that view a lot of photographs.

It's like how movie critics and cinephiles don't like Micheal Bay explosion orgy films.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

series completed

Smile by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

[/url
[url=https://flic.kr/p/TxxYo6]Smile
by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

series completed

[/url
[url=https://flic.kr/p/TxxYo6]Smile
by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

I like that there's an idea here. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm glad that it's there.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Odd question: can live concert/performance pics sometimes count as portraits as well?

DSCF4056 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ReverendHammer posted:

Odd question: can live concert/performance pics sometimes count as portraits as well?

sure, why not?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My girlfriend wanted a photo for her master's program, so I made a softbox out of an Amazon box and a cut up t-shirt:

Night-light by Jonathan Hilburg, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
My shipmate's birthday today. A bit tight for my liking but we're jacked with cargo. There's really not much room left on the ship

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 23, 2017

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Sludge Tank posted:

My shipmate's birthday today. A bit tight for my liking but we're jacked with cargo. There's really not much room left on the ship

This is a good portrait.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers. Think I've got a de-centered lens element in the 70-200 LII. (Feet out of focus)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

a little field curvature never hurt nobody

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Is it a common problem? It's really pissing me off. Costs about $350 to get it looked at/fixed. I feel like a lens that $$$ should't have that kind of problem.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 24, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I thought his feet being out of focus was intentional and really added to the overall feel of the photo. It's got this grit to it that's really cool man.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Is it a common problem? It's really pissing me off. Costs about $350 to get it looked at/fixed. I feel like a lens that $$$ should't have that kind of problem.

No more warranty on the lens?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Nope. I got it really cheap 2nd hand. I guess I know now why it was cheap. If I can get it fixed at the quoted rate it will still be like half the price of this lens brand new.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

It's been ages since I tried to take photos of people and I'm not very good at it so I brought my camera to a BBQ over the weekend for some kid shots.

I liked these two the most out of the bunch but maybe over-did it a tad on the post?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

charliebravo77 posted:

maybe over-did it a tad on the post?

Agree, particularly on the baby. Not bad shots, just cranked too far.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The magenta on the first one is really strong and hurts the eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm not good at color balancing, so I've spend the last 13 years in the B&W darkroom.

Eva by Jason, on Flickr