Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Oprah Haza posted:

Go to a camera store and pick up a $5 pc sync cord!!!!!

I have yet to find a store that sells sync cords for that cheap. I think the cheapest I've found was something like $20 for a metre.

Paragon8 posted:

I was the lighting assistant on this shoot and it was all super simple stuff, but things you'd never find on a tutorial because it wasn't "text book"

What sort of things that weren't 'textbook' got this look? I tried to get something similar a few weeks ago but I was rather unsuccessful.

PushingKingston fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

I have yet to find a store that sells sync cords for that cheap. I think the cheapest I've found was something like $20 for a metre.

What sort of things that weren't 'textbook' got this look? I tried to get something similar a few weeks ago but I was rather unsuccessful.

BEAR AVATARS!

umm the main thing I did is bouncing bare heads directly into the ceiling which creates pretty effect. Also a lot of flash right next to the camera where traditionally you'd have it coming off to the side balanced with a fill.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I just blinded myself. gently caress.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

Just got some flashes so I had to try a low key shot! Not had much time to play unfortunately.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

bisticles posted:

I'm always fighting to keep my focal length long, but I'm on a crop body, and and some of the places were pretty tight.

What the... is this supposed to be innuendo?

Paragon8 posted:

umm the main thing I did is bouncing bare heads directly into the ceiling which creates pretty effect. Also a lot of flash right next to the camera where traditionally you'd have it coming off to the side balanced with a fill.

I love this move a lot. Bare head to ceiling is a great fill light, and the bare bulb next to camera is like an almost-on-camera-flash-and-also-but-not-really-ringflash.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And for stuff:
About a month ago I spent a day with a hair stylist/MUA friend and we made pictures happen with a few girls we know. The goal was 2 looks for each girl, one light/day look that was more natural/laid-back, like a Dove or Aveda, etc. beauty ad. The other look was a dark/night look which had a "night out" feel. I really didn't plan on taking photos below the shoulders very much, if at all, so I only instructed them to wear black camisoles. If I'd know I'd change my mind (which I didn't, b/c that's why it's called changing your mind), I would've taken more into consideration for wardrobe styling. Also, I have made comments on each model.

Kayle:
The light look is one of the very first pictures of the day. She was a tad awkward for the light look (quite possibly from being the first to shoot, it being early and her not being a model), but she really opened up with the dark look and brought a fun and breezy feel while hopping from one pose to the next, to the next, to the next.

Tina:
She was by far the hardest to work with, but definitely the most improved -- very self-conscious in front of the camera, looks big to camera (she's really not very big, like 5'7" and size 7, well, maybe 8, but that's big to camera), and that hair style in the light look was awkward to work with. At one point I handed her the camera and made her take pictures of me demonstrating how to pose and doing some example poses I wanted her to do. She rather enjoyed that.

Lathena:
This girl went to modeling school :science: and has done a handful of MM TFP shoots. She was generally really easy to work with and shoot, but it took some coaxing her out of her usual routine with the dark look. I can't decide if her dark look is really killer or really cheesy or both. But I fuckin' love it.

Sabrina:
She was only at the shoot for the dark looks, and she was the superior model, never having done anything like modeling before. Except for drama through high school (helping prove my belief that having some background in acting really helps out models). I can click through her film and say "good," "good," "good" for about 90% of it. She responded immaculately to my directions, and snapped into the look I wanted without wrestling her into it.

Overall, I'm super happy with the entire shoot. It was 14 long hours of working with non-professionals, but I feel like the stylist and I absolutely achieved our goals. The past month has been a poo poo-heap of time in front of PS, but I've completely turned my abilities around (I think... here's a link my post to the PS thread). That said, I will fight tooth and nail against shooting friends and/or coworkers as models. Everyone wants to be a model, but nobody wants to model.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 1, 2012

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Lathena's dark shot is killer. I really like it. :)

Actually, I like all the dark shots.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Subjunctivitis posted:

What the... is this supposed to be innuendo?

Maybe subconsciously...

Neil vanNiekerk made an excellent post about focal lengths and portraits that I've been trying to keep in mind lately. Unfortunately, for most of the shots I posted above, though, my back was literally up against a wall.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

MrOpus posted:

Lathena's dark shot is killer. I really like it. :)

Actually, I like all the dark shots.

I also like the dark shots. The high-key shots are all overexposed and suffer from a lack of contrast and skin texture.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Please bare with me while I get this stuff out of my system. Wouldn't mind if you guys rip it apart, it's the only way I can learn... I don't really know how to hide from the reflection in the glasses and next time I might need to brush their clothes down as the fluff is killing me.

D. by Clwn, on Flickr

D. by Clwn, on Flickr

T. by Clwn, on Flickr

T. by Clwn, on Flickr

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

T, A, D. by Clwn, on Flickr

There's more of my first steps into flash here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clwn/sets/72157629492026353/
I think I'll keep them in their own set while I learn.

Clown fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 2, 2012

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Not the greatest photos ever, perhaps, but eh, I haven't taken anything else in weeks and I don't hate these?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

prukinski posted:

Not the greatest photos ever, perhaps, but eh, I haven't taken anything else in weeks and I don't hate these?

You should shoot more at that place! So much to exploit there, wow. Love that one also :)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.creativelive.com/live

This is live right now, if you want to shoot people, get on this!

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
This is really good, I'm learning a lot!

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

Clown posted:

This is really good, I'm learning a lot!

Seconding this. I thought I had a pretty decent handle on giving direction and posing, but she makes some obviously genius points.

Edit: THE HAND BRA!!! I hate the hand bra, too.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 3, 2012

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I had a group shoot with some volunteer models last weekend. It was my first exposure to having non-friends as models. Some of my favourites:

IMG_0690 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0597 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0393 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0293 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Sabina_1 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I had a group shoot with some volunteer models last weekend. It was my first exposure to having non-friends as models. Some of my favourites:

IMG_0690 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I want to really like this one, but I feel like it suffers from a lot of "almost." It looks like she's trying to do something with her hands, but she doesn't know what, and they're both placed awkwardly, i.e. one of them needs to go somewhere else while the other one loosens up into a more natural position on her neck or face. And her face says a lot of "?????" to me, without engaging the camera with her eyes or her eyes being engaged on anything. They look kinda dead and mostly confused.

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0293 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I think this one is the best. Great high-key lighting, nice B/W conversion, and she does well giving off the haughty look.

Overall, Great Job! on your fist time with unknown models. The more you do it, the more you get better! Keep it up!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Subjunctivitis posted:

I want to really like this one, but I feel like it suffers from a lot of "almost." It looks like she's trying to do something with her hands, but she doesn't know what, and they're both placed awkwardly, i.e. one of them needs to go somewhere else while the other one loosens up into a more natural position on her neck or face. And her face says a lot of "?????" to me, without engaging the camera with her eyes or her eyes being engaged on anything. They look kinda dead and mostly confused.

I think this one is the best. Great high-key lighting, nice B/W conversion, and she does well giving off the haughty look.

Overall, Great Job! on your fist time with unknown models. The more you do it, the more you get better! Keep it up!

Thank you :)

I can see what you're saying with the first one, and that kind of sucks. The shoot was a group thing where each model had 2-5 photographers shooting them at the same time, so that's probably why she looks a bit confused and not really sure where/how to look. Going through them, I noticed a whole lot of hands touching the face, which I didn't notice at the shoot, so it's something I'm going to watch out for next time because it annoys the hell out of me.

Hoping to get some more shoots in soon!

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
I personally don't have a problem with the hands on face (see my pics above), it's more of how. My model Tina had a hard time doing it well when I asked her to do it, so I had to find a way to talk her into being comfortable about trying it out while not pressing on her face or having a stiff hand or generally being unnatural. In the link above, the photographer talks about how the pose can be good, but then it's all stiff. Hands and jaws tend to hold a lot of tension that becomes incredibly magnified on camera, so people need to be coaxed into loosening up into a pose that's both good and looks natural and comfortable.

When I review my photos, I look not only at the composition and pose, but the expression on the face, the eyes, the mouth, the jaw; at the body language, the hands, the shoulders, legs/feet. A lot of little factors add up really quickly. I'll post a few of my "discards" from my earlier post later on and explain what I do and don't like about them.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Subjunctivitis posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the hands on face (see my pics above), it's more of how. My model Tina had a hard time doing it well when I asked her to do it, so I had to find a way to talk her into being comfortable about trying it out while not pressing on her face or having a stiff hand or generally being unnatural. In the link above, the photographer talks about how the pose can be good, but then it's all stiff. Hands and jaws tend to hold a lot of tension that becomes incredibly magnified on camera, so people need to be coaxed into loosening up into a pose that's both good and looks natural and comfortable.

When I review my photos, I look not only at the composition and pose, but the expression on the face, the eyes, the mouth, the jaw; at the body language, the hands, the shoulders, legs/feet. A lot of little factors add up really quickly. I'll post a few of my "discards" from my earlier post later on and explain what I do and don't like about them.

Yeah, that'd be good to see. There were definitely a LOT of outtakes on this one, as the models were kind of all over the place and it was impossible to get one on one time with them, but these were the ones that looked the least awkward. I shouldn't say it bugs me that much when models touch their faces, it's just that that's all I seemed to get, and I wanted something a bit different, a bit edgier, which I find is hard to pull off while you're gently stroking your face or something.

I'm looking into some posing guides to see what I can bring with me to my next shoot - hopefully the models will be cooperative and willing to take some direction :)

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
The second girl is proper orange!
That Sue Bryce and her assistant really knew how to pull some shapes didn't they? Not bad for big girls :)

Clown fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 3, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Having several photographers shooting one model at the same time seems like a ridiculous idea. You can't possibly build an individual rapport with someone who is being pulled in about five different directions and trying to listen to everyone. What a weird idea.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

xenilk posted:

You should shoot more at that place! So much to exploit there, wow. Love that one also :)

Heh, thanks. The place is heaps popular with my group of friends and in that context, shooting people there starts to feel hopelessly unimaginative, but maybe that's just a sign of too little effort.

CUE FURTHER EFFORT.

...Plus, really, anywhere that reminds me of the roller disco scene from Boys Don't Cry deserves more time.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Clown posted:

The second girl is proper orange!
That Sue Bryce and her assistant really knew how to pull some shapes didn't they? Not bad for big girls :)

I have to calibrate my loving monitor. I keep forgetting it's cooler than it should be. Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully fixed it, but I dunno.

Gazmachine posted:

Having several photographers shooting one model at the same time seems like a ridiculous idea. You can't possibly build an individual rapport with someone who is being pulled in about five different directions and trying to listen to everyone. What a weird idea.

It is kind of weird, but I can't really complain. It's just a hobbyist group and it was all organized for us, we had to pay a small fee (2-5 bucks for coffee/food for the MUA and models) and we shared lighting setups and stuff. So for me, who doesn't have a very elaborate lighting setup or know any models, it was a nice way to play with some different lighting techniques and meet some people. Now that I've met the models and they've seen my work, hopefully I can work with them one on one in the future.

But yeah, it was definitely difficult to get any sort of individual time and have the model do what you want when there are 4 other people either shooting her or telling her other things, so I kind of just let them do whatever they wanted.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Heads up, day 2 is staring now, if it's anything like yesterdays then expect the awesome.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

she's actually pretty good. much better than that woman the other week.

The movement thing is super important that so many people seem to forget. Both photographers and models. People think that because a shot is a still that it was a contrived pose (it is a lot of the time) but I like my models to move and I catch something during or just after.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

AceClown posted:

Heads up, day 2 is staring now, if it's anything like yesterdays then expect the awesome.

She's so good, I'll buy that workshop.

Gazmachine posted:

I've done it a couple of times and hated it. You're right, no way to build rapport and really hard to be the "lead" photographer without fussing everyone else.

Great way to meet amateur models and shoot them one on one tho.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
This posing stuff is really good but I'm really not a fan of her photoshopping.. I would probably book this course if I was nearby. Let us know how it goes xenilk :)
Hah, AceClown looking for reasons to ask girls to take off their bras ;)

Clown fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Editing pictures while watching creative woohoo

IMG_9110 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9080 by avoyer, on Flickr

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

xenilk posted:

She's so good, I'll buy that workshop.

I've done it a couple of times and hated it. You're right, no way to build rapport and really hard to be the "lead" photographer without fussing everyone else.

Great way to meet amateur models and shoot them one on one tho.

I'm a part of a local portfolio building group that has a couple hundred members. It's probably about 2/3rd photographers, 1/3rd models, along with a few HMUA and designers. Every month, there's a shootout where we rent out a Victorian manor, horse farm, haunted house, a YMCA, or even the entire town of Sleepy Hollow and shoot for like 3-4 hours. It's basically a giant TFP shoot, except that you get to shoot with 8 or so different models in a real legit location, with professional hair and makeup on-site. Photographers pay between $30 and $50 per shoot, but that keeps everything legal and insured. I've learned a lot of great new techniques, improved my abilities interacting with and posing subjects, and met some really incredible people along the way. It's been a huge benefit. Anyone within driving distance of the NY Hudson Valley region, check it out, or message me for more info.

edit: Did a quick hi-key studio session with a model from the group yesterday.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 3, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Few portraits from last week that I finally had time to go over:

IMG_9469 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9501 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9480 by avoyer, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
still feelin' brooke shaden-y

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I was at the same shoot as CarrotFlowers, and it was tough. 4-5 different photographers all using the same triggers for one model. I did managed to pull a couple of them off for some one on one time. I definitely need to grab that CL workshop, as my posing needs serious work.

My first time shooting models I don't know, and using flash, and I decided that film would be the way to go. Probably not my best decision.

Untitled-23.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr

Untitled-10.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr

Untitled-11.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was at the same shoot as CarrotFlowers, and it was tough. 4-5 different photographers all using the same triggers for one model. I did managed to pull a couple of them off for some one on one time. I definitely need to grab that CL workshop, as my posing needs serious work.

My first time shooting models I don't know, and using flash, and I decided that film would be the way to go. Probably not my best decision.

First one has issues because her hair bleeds into the background.

Second one - chopped off feet

Third one - bluish/green tint.

The poses in all 3 seem fine, honestly.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Few portraits from last week that I finally had time to go over:

sw1gger posted:

Both of these have very nice processing done on them.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Merci :)

sw1gger posted:

Loooooove!!

Did you have a reflector on her?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xenilk posted:

Editing pictures while watching creative woohoo
You really need *some* kind of fill.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do you want critique?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

This was done in a studio where I failed miserably with the lightning setup, so I agree :)

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you want critique?

Yes please.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Sabina_1 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

No one commented on this one, and I'm not good at finding words to describe why I like it, but this one is pretty great. I love how the colors look, vivid yet not too unnatural.
Question though: What's on her left shoulder? Looks like red hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Question though: What's on her left shoulder? Looks like red hairs.

It looks like the red stuff is a shadow of the hairs on her shoulder that got saturated when the contrast on the image was adjusted.