Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've been trying my hand at some street portraits. Something seems a bit off about this image but I can't really put a finger on it. The first thing that pops out in my head is that he is slightly off-center but that's just a crop error I didn't catch until I was looking over the image one last time. I should also have asked him to move slightly to the right so his shoe isn't right on the border where the concrete ends. His posture as a whole seems wrong, almost like his legs are too short for his body. His red hat also seems to stand out like a sore thumb, is there something that can be done about it in processing?

I'm thinking it may have been because I was a bit too high when taking the picture (as in the physical height of the camera) making his body look awkward. Here is the original. What could I have done differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Here are my critiques:

- I would actually off-center him more and/or move in a bit closer. There's not much interesting going on around him so he gets kind of lost in the middle somewhere.
- Turn him around 180 degrees, he's backlit! You'd have more interesting lighting on him if the light was actually on him :)
- Something about the perspective makes it looks like he has tiny little baby dwarf legs.

Just a couple little things that popped into my mind. All my opinion, take with a grain of salt, etc.
These are all good points! I was worried that the harsh sun would work against me but I should have tried it since he was more than willing to let me get pictures. The primary reason for that angle despite the backlit sun was because I wanted to get the interesting building in the backdrop. How can I fix the baby dwarf legs?

Fortunately, I did think to take some different shots and ended up with this one. I should have pulled back a little further because the frame is way too tight especially on top.

Here's another version.

I love a well needed critique because it's the only way I'll improve. I'm always going through my pictures and critiquing the hell out of them. Give it to me with both barrels! :black101:

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 14, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

xenilk posted:

Love that one, could you try rotating it so the lines in the background around tilted?

I like it better already and it took all of 5 seconds! Then again, I did shave off a lot of the space around the top of his head, maybe I'll settle for a compromise between the two. After all, the building in the background is on a downsloping hill. All things I'll keep in mind. Thanks for all your input so far, guys!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

xenilk posted:

It's kind of throwing me off that both lines aren't aligned in the background, it's hard to tell which is the dominating one (I'd guess the bottom one? But maybe someone can give better feedback on that one).

No worries, it's always fun to try new stuff. Sorry about the vague response, I'm not so sure ahha but yeah I think that one is the best of the 4, just the way it's framed/lighted.
Thanks for your tip! All of the regular posters in this thread have been really helpful in terms of providing ideas and ideas for composition. I'm still trying to fine tune the technical side of things.

McMadCow posted:

Bioshuffle, what do you want those shots to say about your subject?
That is a very interesting question and one I hadn't really thought about before! The purpose behind the pictures is really just so I'll have something interesting to look back on in 30-40 years. I started doing street portraits because I came across an album from the 1960s and I found it really interesting to see how much things have changed from them. I want to chronicle what people were like.

As I said in my reply to xenilk, I want to learn to walk before I run so I'm still preoccupied with trying to master the basics, like good composition and proper exposure instead of trying to convey a message or anything grandiose like that.

To answer your question though, I just found his shirt and woolcap really interesting and I wanted to get a picture of it. I hope that answers your question. :shobon:

I guess a lot of these pictures are a bit boring, especially compared to some of the pictures posted here, but I figure if anything, they will be interesting to me in a few year.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 13, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

McMadCow posted:

Well, it's not really what I meant, but it does illustrate the point that you're looking to record something when you could be using a camera to say something.
I don't know what to tell you to change about those portraits, but that guy is obviously a character, and I'm just not seeing it. Think more along the lines of personality and less about some piece of clothing they're wearing. You see world class fashion photography, and even though it's about the clothes, the model is still extremely engaging. This is in no small part because of the photographer. Try to think of it along those lines.
That's a very good point! I'll keep your words in mind next time I go out shooting or when I'm browsing through other pictures. I still feel that I should learn grammar before I try to form sentences but you're right on all points. He was definitely an interesting character and I'm sure a more experienced photographer would have been able to get a more interesting portrait that really captured his personality, as opposed to a picture of someone just kind of standing there.

Case in point:

I think this is an interesting picture, but when you look at it- it's still someone just kind of standing there doing nothing interesting. Then again, I have absolutely no idea how to direct someone. I guess the best solution is to continue studying pictures and critiquing my own stuff. Got any book recommendations for me?

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

McMadCow posted:

Anything by Avedon or Cartier-Bresson. Might as well start from the top! :)
Cartier-Bresson happens to be one of my favorite photographers! Have these guys written technical books or did you mean just study their pictures?

mysticp posted:

Two of my favorite "people doing nothing interesting but still being interesting" photographers are Garry Winogrand and Tony Ray Jones (who pretty much specialized in this type of photography). For either one their books are kind of hard to find, try Amazon Marketplace though.
For the life of me I can't track it down, but someone in these forums once posted a flickr page which had street portraits done with a medium format camera that just blew me away. I'll check on Amazon for these or failing that, I'll see what I can dig up on google. Thanks!

Can't believe I didn't think of this before but I'm finally going to set some time aside to read through The Zeltsman Approach on the OP. The length had scared me away initially. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: VVV That was it! Thanks! VVV

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 15, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

xenilk posted:

He's also awesome at giving critique. Great guy and I'm glad I was paired with him for the print exchange, love to have some of his work here :)

Edit:

To contribute...

IMG_8572 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8617 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8727 by avoyer, on Flickr
I'm absolutely in love with the way you process your pictures, especially the split toning you're doing (at least that would be my amateurish attempt to guess where the colors are coming from).

While I was marveling at the way your models are posed (especially the one where she's walking the dog), I had some more time to think about McMadCow's advice for me regarding my portraits just recording when they could be saying something- and I'd love some more feedback on my thoughts. I feel like one of the charms of street portraits is watching how someone reacts to a complete stranger walking up to them and asking for a picture. I've noticed that some people smile, some grimace, some clam up while others to enjoy hamming it up. I almost feel like by directing them in order to convey a message, I lose touch with my favorite part of street portraits, which is to capture people as they are. I feel like the moment I start telling them what to do with their hands or what kind of facial expression they should have in order to convey my message, I'm starting to assert too much of myself into their portrait. Then again, Ansel Adam once said that you don't take a photograph, you make it. I would love to hear what people think about the difference between street portraits versus studio portraits.

I was watching a recently uploaded video of Eric Kim doing street photography and I was surprised to see that he has now gotten much bolder, even directing people, flat out asking people to stop smiling as he was taking their pictures, basically changing him from the role of observer to director. Thoughts on this?

For instance, I see the picture by Auditore and I'm left wondering if the person was naturally sitting there or if he was directed to pose that way. It's a great picture regardless of how the results were achieved but I had a chance to sleep on all the great critiques I received and this was what came up.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

xenilk posted:

First off, thanks :)

I've never done much street photography so I'm probably not the most reliable guy around the block to express an opinion about it but I'll try to summarize what I've seen/learn.

Street photography is all about grasping the person's essence, like you said. Ideally you want to catch the moment _before_ your talked to the model/asked him/her to take a picture. It's not about his/her reaction to you asking to take a picture.

That's why most street photographer never ask people to smile, since it's "faking" the moment. Most people feel like the picture will lose it's authenticity if you do it that way. If the person happens to smile out of shyness it's perfectly fine, tho.

Other than that, the only thing I would instruct is correcting the posture/turning around if the light isn't appropriate... the rest shouldn't be altered.

But yeah that's my opinion/grasp of street photography so take it with a grain of salt :)
Well, I do some street photography too, but I was specifically referring to street portraits. Difference (to my understanding) being that street portraiture is where you walk up to someone and ask them if you can get their picture whereas street photography is as you mentioned a candid shot taken without permission or knowledge. I find that street photography leads to much more natural looking shots, but I like both equally. I could never direct someone to pose like this, and I'm sure if I asked her if I could take her picture she would have changed posture or done something different.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 13, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Clown posted:

I tried some portraiture. I'm not very good at it, but I'd like to learn properly... I'm more interested in people than buildings and rocks.
I need more practice.

D. by Clwn, on Flickr

D. by Clwn, on Flickr

D. by Clwn, on Flickr

D. by Clwn, on Flickr
I love the way you processed these and third one is excellent! I guess basic grasp of composition and exposure carries over across different genres!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Santa, those shots are fantastic! Did you have to lower the camera to waist level to avoid the "dwarf leg" effect?

DSC_5676 by rustyshackles, on Flickr

DSC_5683 by rustyshackles, on Flickr

I was walking around with my camera and came across someone working on their car. Asked them if I could get their picture and they agreed. I'm less than pleased with how they turned out. I can't say I really had a message I wanted to convey, I just wanted to capture someone working on a car. Give it to me with both barrels! I really want to improve, and I'm afraid in order to do that I've got to put my ego aside and clutter this thread with my mediocre shots.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Santa is strapped posted:

Thank you! I don't think I'm at mannequin level yet though haha. Where has he been lately anyway?

For the newbies (like myself) could you possibly talk us through what goes on when you meet them? Do you pose them? Do you move them to a better location? Does it all depend on the circumstance and location? Give us the insider scoop!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Any thoughts on this guide for cropping portraits? I know it's bad to crop off at the joints, but that's about the extent I know. Green lines are good crops and red lines are bad. It was my understanding that it's bad to crop right at the neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

xenilk posted:

What he said... plus in fashion you can cut hands/fingers... but people here (including me) will probably whine like people whining about my picture with the girl having a hand between her legs.
I know that if I like a picture I've taken, I like it, rules be damned. Others are free to disagree. For instance, goons seem to have a selective coloring, but I think it works sometimes. I'm still at the stage where I'm studying the rules. I feel like before I can ignore the rules I have to study and learn them first. My understanding is that with enough practice these rules become second nature and I'll be able to focus more on the feel of the picture rather than breaking it down technically.

Paragon8 posted:

haha, I was just giving you poo poo because it was good.

I have a posty wost on my blog about this http://blog.smread.com/2011/09/breaking-rules-in-composition-pt-1-full.html
I've read all the entries on your blog, they're very helpful for a novice such as myself. Thanks for your excellent write ups!