Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Does this count as a portrait?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpeel/4921134203/

My wife with my 1 day old son. It was one of those spur of the moment pictures you just get inspiration for and go hog wild, and I think it came out really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Ric posted:

I agree that cropping a strip from bottom and top of the frame would focus attention more strongly, I haven't simply because I prefer to keep the aspect ratio in which it was taken.

The second photo was one I took while packing down. I could have moved the light but decided it wasn't worth it for a quick shot.

You were packing down and couldnt be bothered to move a light (that you were about to remove)?. I smell sausages.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Tighter crop on the last one would be nice.
3rd one is the best though its a little centered... rule of thirds!

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Shes slouching to the point my back aches thinking about it.
Also she needs some good news in her life. Cheer her up a bit :)

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Cross_ posted:

Our company christmas party was held in a fancy place, so I used their decorations as backdrops and had a good time playing around with my (also new, amazing, awesome) 5d2.

What's up there?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Does he have a massive growth on the top of his head? Is that why you keep cropping it out?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

McMadCow posted:

It's completely acceptable to crop before the top of someone's head.

It works in 1 out of 3 of his photos, in the other 2 it's simply jarring and was my first impression, that's all.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
For the love of gently caress learn what "negative space" means. Not all space is negative.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Zegnar posted:

Let's give this portrait photography thing a go.

Two lights, both stage right - one through an umbrella, the other just outside the frame pointing upwards at a bounce umbrella on the ceiling.

I'm looking right *through* his ear. Its... hypnotic, and kinda gross.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Gazmachine posted:

(although I'm fully aware this is probably just me)

It isn't just you. (Though I do like both those shots)

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Agreed - good shot but a little... squinty.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

dakana posted:

I'd either crop tighter, or get all of the hair in frame. The way it is now, especially on the second, it looks like a framing mistake.

What he said. The first one looks like she has a tiny head as you've cropped the top of it off in an attempt to squeeze her chest into the frame, and it just looks off.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

wanderlost posted:

Sorry, is he a vet or a doctor? Either way, the medical equipment in the background is terrifying.

You've captured his face and expression masterfully, I can definitely see a headshot crop in here... but his body is kinda going crazy. His hips and belt draw his waist awkwardly, it looks like his right elbow is in line with his waist. Have your subject ditch the casio, we all want our doctor to be wealthier (better) than his competition. I'm also not sure why he's wearing glasses (because I want my doctor to have 20/20 vision)

Lab coats are dangerous if they're generic, we're trained to look for the embroidered names.

Why does your subject have/need a timer? distracting, get it out of frame.

That's the gooniest of goony critiques.

You do know that your elbows are just above waist height right? Or would you prefer your wealthy, hip young, 20/20 doctor/vet to wear low slung pants too?

Personally I like the photo - gives a good impression of the guy and makes him seem happy and confident in his job and like he'd be easy to get along with.
The only thing I don't like it the massive space above his head that's filled with OR lamps, but those likely go with the territory.

That and he looks a bit like an older Scott Bakula.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Paragon8 posted:

Just some stuff from last weeeeeeek

Do you have something against her forehead? You keep cutting it off :(
Other than that, BRIIIIIIIIGHT! But nice, especially like pose in the first one (other than the head chop).

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I am *adamantly* pro-fun.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Vignette's on photos like that always make me think "Cheeeeesy!". I almost want you to change it to a heart shaped vignette...

I do like that first shot though, her roots show nicely.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Paragon8 posted:

Get both eyes in focus.
And try not to get her plucked eyebrow as the only bit in focus... It's mingalicious.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I hate to be a picky bitch but I'll go ahead and say:

LEVEL YOUR HORIZONS

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I fear interrupting, but I shan't let that stop me.
I'm looking to do some family portraits (6 kids, no not all mine) for grandparental Christmas presents, and I'm wondering what the best way of getting a reasonably professional background is?

I'm thinking seamless white, but I own nothing seamless and very little white.
Any DIY advice for a good background on the cheap?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Rather proud of this shot

Please expand on why?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

Yeah I took a chance with this, I thought it was giving her a more "boyish" look, which is what I was looking for

There's nothing even a little bit boyish about her though.
It just screams look at my crotch! Which is a little off putting considering the rest of the (very good!) style.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Got any examples of it?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Ballerina hands?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

XTimmy posted:

It is freaking me out how that girl gains and loses like ten years almost entirely based upon if she's being shot with hard or soft light.

It's not the light its the cheek/face sucking.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
The irony is I think she's doing it to give herself a thinner face... but it just ends up adding a good 10-15 years somehow.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Cyberbob posted:

I'm getting a bit sick of studio shooting (I want to do more editorial stuff anyway, need locations!) but one of our regular models wanted a few shots of her fancy hair.

Does the background work?

Thoughts? I'm not a huge fan of this series, but I'm not entirely sure why not. I think I'd prefer seamless white backgrounds.

FWIW, Lighting was a sb600 in an 18" dish, with a sb600 bare rim.

All that effort on her hair and you crop it out in every shot?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Nice to see you're not sexist in your hair chopping.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
She has no clue what to do with her hands.
Also, nipples ahoy. That top looks like its censoring her chest.
Oh and you chopped her at the knees and that skirt appears to have a fly as long as my arm.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

CarrotFlowers posted:

All his faces kind of look the same to me.

I have no idea what casting agents (or whoever these photos are aimed at) are looking for but I agree with Carrot, it's the same face over and over. Reminds me of that "It's a mystery" girl GIF.

Edit - might not be "its a mystery" but this one - http://i.imgur.com/QFXNw.gif
Linked for epilepsy.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 17, 2012

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

AceClown posted:

That is a very feminine pose for a man.

He's wearing slip on shoes to his own wedding, what do you want from him?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I too need to know how you did those B&W conversions.
Mine always come out just very 'meh' but you'res are quite striking.

Tips please!

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

IMG_6284 by avoyer, on Flickr

One from the wedding I covered.

That's an odd one, I quite like it but I don't think it's very wedding-y. Their poses make her look distant and reticent while he looks... desperate for a kiss.

I like the image but I wouldn't want it in a wedding album if you see what I mean.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Gazmachine posted:

Whilst it isn't a traditional wedding shot, I like it because of that. If you look at the most famous wedding shooters, their stuff is full of shots away from the norm like this, so it feels like this is moving towards that approach.

Plus, I find wedding shots immensely boring, so anything different for a wedding piques my interest.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for different and away from the boring norm, but this just seems odd. I'm not feeling the love!

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, much better interaction here. Like this one a lot, would love to see it in color.

Hrm. Still has the issue of him leaning in while she leans back away. Rapey!
Also I cant see her face and I'd rather see hers than his.
Yes I realise I'm just being a picky bitch.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

I guess that's when the part of them not being models kind of step in. I'd say it's a grey area but I get what you're saying... and it's not rape if she all for it! :P

That my point I guess, she doesn't look like she is! It makes him look letchy and her look cold.

Did he shout surprise?

Shutting up now.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Why does she hate me so?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Holy hell, talk about punching above your weight.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Again with the scalping?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

I think it's fair play, nothing about the hair worth showing. ;P

Fair point, well made; though I think she'd disagree :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
All teeth and no tits, although she's doing a fine job of trying to show both.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)